• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Will Be The Main Character In Spawn Reboot

Link.

Todd McFarlane's long delayed Spawn movie project is moving closer to reality, but fans might be surprised to find out who the star of the movie really is.

Spawn creator Todd McFarlane is taking a different tact with the Spawn Reboot, something he revealed to ComicBook.com's Jim Viscardi at San Diego Comic-Con.

"There's two big roles in the script. There's obviously sort of Spawn himself, although in a weird way it's not the biggest role, and then there's the cop. The cop is this character Twitch who's been there since issue #1. Twitch is the role in this one, and I sort of refer to him as my sheriff Brody, who is the sheriff in the Jaws movie. Although it was called Jaws, Jaws didn't really talk a lot in his movie, right? He just kind of showed up at the opportune time to make the movie worthwhile."

Twitch will be the audience's viewpoint into this supernatural world, which will have much more of a horror focus. Twitch is often accompanied by his partner Sam, but McFarlane didn't mention if he will also play a part in the Spawn reboot.

Maybe that's because the two fan favorites will have their own series soon on the BBC, helmed by a well-known director and comic enthusiast.

"We're developing Sam and Twitch over at BBC America that Kevin Smith is attached to. Hopefully, they'll sign off on that and he's going to write and direct all that."

As McFarlane describes, Spawn himself will be relegated to the shadows most of the time, allowing for the human part of this story to take precedence. It is certainly a different take than the original film, which wholly focused on Spawn and his supernatural journey.

Spawn will be coming from Blumhouse, makers of The Purge, Paranormal Activity, and The Belko Experiment. The budget will be in the $10 million range, and no release date has been announced.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm fine with this. Play Spawn as more this creature in the shadows that you're not sure is real. That way, you can keep some distance from the supernatural shit without it getting too hokey.

...holy fuck, I'm getting interested in a Spawn movie.

Zubz

Banned
Huh. I forgot we're getting a new Spawn. I usually hate "perspective character" plots (Thank you, Sonic X, for turning me away from that early), but I agree with other posters; it might work with Spawn!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That makes sense given this is a Blumhouse film. $10 million is about how much they drop on those Purge movies. The marketing will play up the 2 mins of Spawn that is in the movie, and it'll make the budget back with ease.

G-Fex

I will not believe it until i see the see it in the 5 dollar bin at Walmart

That's where this idea belongs. McFarlane is such a hack now a days.

This motherfucker doesn't know anything

first he wanted it a Sam and Twitch movie with spawn not in it or maybe in the background.

Then spider-man got popular in early 2000's and he wanted it to feature spawn front and center

then he wants like this again.

Cc4cHcdWIAA2xom.png

Slayven

As McFarlane describes, Spawn himself will be relegated to the shadows most of the time, allowing for the human part of this story to take precedence.

But Spawn was about Al regaining his humanity after being a hitman then a demon........

border

This sounds like the kind of idea that might work if handed to an ambitious and imaginative director.

But instead they're letting McFarlane direct.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Kinda Year One-ish, I guess? Sounds better than just doing a straight up Spawn story.

Twitch is great and the way the story is set up could work, but that budget is so abysmal. It's going to cost less Agents of SHIELD's pilot ($14 million), and McFarlane is directing? There's no way it doesn't end up looking really bad.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

first he wanted it a Sam and Twitch movie with spawn not in it or maybe in the background.

Then spider-man got popular in early 2000's and he wanted it to feature spawn front and center

He got a cold splash of reality. Studios took a page from Black moms everywhere and hit him with "You got 'Spawn front and center' money?"

Half of what I'm hearing about this sounds pretty promising. From Twitch to the movie being a small budget Blumhouse production.

But then I remember that McFarlane intends to direct and... No.
Maybe if he gets a more experienced co-director, ala Sin City.

Anyway, I still have some fondness for Spawn so I hope it'll be better than the beloved 97 film.

Now that I think about it, after Castlevania, a new Spawn animated series could work well on Netflix. Adi Shankar and McFarlane are a match made in heaven. And let's get Warren Ellis drunk and force him to write the entire thing while we're at it.

I just this week watched the Spawn film & a few episodes of the tv show, the character never really appealed to me because of the demonic and hellish imagery but it's a pretty decent story there and McFarlane's come up as a a creative is awesome. I like how he just created his own Venom like character and obviously I love Image Comics as a company.

This idea sounds pretty cool, though I could see how fans of Al Simmons wouldn't get too excited especially if he's basically just the monster in his own movie

watershed

Banned
Makes sense as a story telling tool. Spawn can probably a lot cooler and scarier when he don't see him whining over his past or sleeping in a dumpster.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Doesn't know anything about... Spawn? I imagine he would still like it to feature Spawn front and center but can't get the money for that so he's settling for this.

platakul

Banned
Lmao I've read the news about Twitch being the main character every 3 years since like 2001

Script probably has the world's most dated references

poodaddy

Good. The first Spawn movie was a dumpster fire; this needs to be closer to season 2 of the HBO show than the movie.

J_Viper

Letting Todd direct is the kind of strange decision that only Blumhouse could make.

Best of luck to him though. I'm about to finish up the HBO series for the first time and it's pretty solid.

This isn't going to happen.

It's never going to be a thing

There is no "Spawn" reboot.

People just need to leave Todd to himself and stop shining him on by paying attention to this weird thing he keeps doing.

Top Bottom