• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter to Launch 'Hide Replies' Feature in June

CyberPanda

Banned
Twitter today confirmed plans to begin experimenting with a "Hide Replies" feature starting in June, which will provide Twitter users with more control over the replies that are visible following a tweet.

As TechCrunch points out, this has the potential to be controversial because the original person who tweets will be able to control which replies are visible in a conversation thread.

The feature will be experimental, so it could ultimately be tweaked or scrapped entirely based on how users react to its implementation. Twitter has said that hidden responses wouldn't show up automatically, but would be viewable by others using a menu option.

Along with announcing the new feature, Twitter today also shared details on its efforts to create a "healthier service" through cutting down on abuse and spam.

Twitter says that it has suspended three times more abusive accounts within 24 hours of a report compared to the same time last year, 2.5 times more private information has been removed, and there's been a 45 percent uptick in efforts to suspend users who create a new account after a suspension.

In the future, Twitter says it plans to introduce additional safety-related features, such as making it easier for Twitter users to share specifics when reporting abuse, adding more notices within Twitter about rule enforcement, and debuting rules that are easier to understand.

CyberPanda

Banned
Wow.

fake media becomes more fake.

If you don't like what people say, put your fingers in your ears and go la-la-la I can't hear you
iu

iconmaster

Banned
Wow, with blocking users, muting words, and hiding replies, twitter can finally become the personally tuned echo chamber I desevre.

c3f20c33a2336edbf9c054ef2da35e21.jpg

I understand that social media companies need their services to be enjoyable to use -- or no one would use them. But boy does it seem to be a major factor in cultural/political polarization.

I have no good solution for this. Outlawing social media seems a bit heavy-handed...

Today is the day that the internet goes into decline.

It may not end tomorrow, next week or next month but I firmly believe that this will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

In a year or twos time, we can look back and point to this decision as the one that drives people away.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You have to maximize privacy, you have to realize this feature has been in Facebook for years.

NickFire

Two initial thoughts, all subject to change.

1) I am ok with this for regular users. For verified users, I don't like this. I don't believe politicians and celebrities should be able to hide reactions to paid endorsements and political propaganda.

2) If politicians in the US can do this, the floodgates of lawsuits will probably open with claims of violating the 1st amendment.

Xyphie

Can I just have a mode with a timeline that displays tweets chronologically from people I follow without any "optimizations".

Petrae

Can I just have a mode with a timeline that displays tweets chronologically from people I follow without any "optimizations".

Third-party apps (like TweetBot) used to excel at this, until Twitter updated its APK to neuter their functionality.

It got so shitty (along with Twitter’s inevitable move away from proper chronological order and the never ending binary political tweets), that I deleted my account last week after nearly 11 years.

Feels good to have more time to do other shit instead of feeling compelled to check Twitter or post random gaming thoughts that nobody read anyway.

A communication platform that gives users the ability to censor others.

I think the only way Twitter could become any more idiotic would be to default to comic sans for all text.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wow.

fake media becomes more fake.

If you don't like what people say, put your fingers in your ears and go la-la-la I can't hear you

It's actually a smart thing to do. Just because someone says a thing on the internet doesn't mean someone else has the right to be in thread chain with their responses. I hope they keep this feature on Twitter after they experiment with it and make it a key feature.

Every conversation isn't made with the average Joe in mind to comment on.

Imagine being triggered by Twitter replies.....I can imagine it very well, unfortunately :messenger_pensive:

It happens all the time in real life. It's how fights in bars start and how wars have started in the past. Young 21st Century people seem to think this all started with social media, yet have no understanding of how humans have interacted with each other for thousands of years.

Last edited:
It's actually a smart thing to do. Just because someone says a thing on the internet doesn't mean someone else has the right to be in thread chain with their responses. I hope they keep this feature on Twitter after they experiment with it and make it a key feature.

Every conversation isn't made with the average Joe in mind to comment on.

I was thinking more along the lines of marketing. How easy it will be to post up some bollox on twitter, then delete any negative reviews, criticism etc.

Now I can lie and make any stupid statement with complete impunity. I shall become my own god.

Well actually I don't have a twitter so I guess I can't. =S

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Will Twatter let me start an account and post things like “Twitter is for simpletons” and then hide all the negative replies?

Sounds like fun.

Top Bottom