• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

Yeah I actually went and looked at the pull quotes for White March 1 and it's all very similar. Maybe they're right this time, I dunno, but the reviews were sure wrong previously.

Care to elaborate about the White March 1? Didn't keep up with PoE when it released.

It's just a noticeable improvement over the base game in basically every regard. Anyone who said it was just "More PoE"' was vastly underselling it.

In fairness, I'd argue that without WM part II, part I's pretty mediocre. Together they're great. If I had to have reviewed one half though, I'd have been pretty harsh.

It's just a noticeable improvement over the base game in basically every regard. Anyone who said it was just "More PoE"' was vastly underselling it.

A lot of people say between act 2 and 3 is where you should play WM1/2, so wouldn't it be very jarring quality wise going from WM to Africa 3?

More on topic: can't wait to hear from more players how the expansion is but I'm more interested in the expanded act3. Bought Tyranny day 1 but sadly haven't has a chance to plait.

Anno

In fairness, I'd argue that without WM part II, part I's pretty mediocre. Together they're great. If I had to have reviewed one half though, I'd have been pretty harsh.

It certainly doesn't pay off properly until part 2. Just the encounter design, cool new items/spells/skills, more involved scripted sequences, cool new companions...I dunno. Even as like a fourth of an IWD game I think it should get a solid score.

A lot of people say between act 2 and 3 is where you should play WM1/2, so wouldn't it be very jarring quality wise going from WM to Africa 3?

I suppose so. I would say it's worth it though. As part of the patches that went along with WM they redid a good amount of the encounters in Act 3 which helps ameliorate it a bit.

Back on topic, I went ahead and picked up both DLCs they've put out. Not sure when I'll get the time to play through it with OS2 about to come out but I want to support Obsidian as always.

The Wart

Sort of -- act 3 is pretty uneven, with some of the most seemingly-rushed content but also some of the best content, and the good stuff rivals WM in quality. Also, a lot of the content is optional and you can speed through it pretty quickly.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I come in for impressions of the Tyranny DLC that came out today and everyone in the Tyranny thread is arguing about which part of Pillars of Eternity is better?

Ugh.

Anyone try the Tyranny DLC yet?

Ryzaki009

Okay this game's combat is hot garbage. My god it's awful. Why did they throw away something that worked (Pillars) for this hot mess?

I come in for impressions of the Tyranny DLC that came out today and everyone in the Tyranny thread is arguing about which part of Pillars of Eternity is better?

Ugh.

Anyone try the Tyranny DLC yet?
It's good, but Lantry's sidequest is completely bugged right now. The only other real detriment is you better have a save file in Act 2 if you want to get the most of it. It doesn't gel with Act 3 and you can't do Verse and Barik's sidequests if you're too far in Act 3.

Anno

Anyone had a fair shake at the supposed expanded third act yet? Hoping to hear some opinions.

Hopefully you're all enjoying it!

I've seen a couple over in the SA thread.

I finished the DLC. It's a bit on the short side considering the price (even with the personal quests, I don't think it can take more than 10 hours for a completionist) and buggy, but I don't really think the content itself is a problem.

It's a pretty well done new area with some cool additional lore and a bunch of different ways to solve situations (there's also a bunch of reactivity to Conquest and faction choices, which is cool). There isn't even that much combat (which isn't great, it's mostly just Bane coupled with humans and Beastmen), most of the time I spent actually doing side quests, exploring and doing dialogue challenges.

All in all, I recommend waiting for a couple patches and maybe a sale, but I enjoyed my time with it.

The expansion is not combat focused at all, it's actually a proper story focused and neat quest line that balances all the systems super well, I'd say it's probably a "better" baseline area than Storm Lands/Crossing/Badlands from the base game, as all expansion content is because game devs use the experience they got from the base game to improve the expansion.

So for better or worse it sounds similar to the base game: Not super long, but with a good amount of reactivity for replays. The difference I guess being that there isn't a ton of combat.

Edit: Whoops, read that as expansion content, not the third act stuff. Still seems relevant.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
250k per Steamspy. Not catastrophically bad or anything, just not quite what Obsidian and Paradox were hoping.

Most of those came after it started getting deep discounts. It's early sales numbers were really poor, like sub 100k for the first several months.

Zolo

250k seems really good. It just seems it's not as much as hoped after how well Pillars did.

As for me, I'm just getting started on this game, but I can't decide between Disfavored or Chorus.

Most of those came after it started getting deep discounts. It's early sales numbers were really poor, like sub 100k for the first several months.
I could see that then. I don't feel like Tyranny's had too deep of discounts though. Not at $20 or under anyway.

IIRC it was at near 100k at the end of last year.

Can't see data before June but the Steam Summer Sale (where the game dropped to $22) "only" added 30k of the 70k that it's posted in the past 3 months. Was it in a humble bundle or something recently? Otherwise a lot of the recent sales are at full price.

EDIT- checked earlier in the thread and I made a post showing that it was at 65k sales after the first 3 days.

IIRC it was at near 100k at the end of last year.

Can't see data before June but the Steam Summer Sale (where the game dropped to $22) "only" added 30k of the 70k that it's posted in the past 3 months. Was it in a humble bundle or something recently? Otherwise a lot of the recent sales are at full price.

Part of a Humble Monthly, IIRC.

I don't know how much of their own money they invested into Tyranny, but Paradox published it and they're working with Obsidian on another major project and seem happy, so it doesn't really seem like a major issue to me.

I'd be curious what the actual budget for Tyranny was. It "feels" cheaper than Pillars and it also had the benefit of using the tech base that was already created for it. Paradox sure didn't put a lot of money into marketing it.

Not sure if we will ever see a sequel or anything but I'll be shocked if it doesn't turn a tidy profit at the end of the day.

Labadal

Part of a Humble Monthly, IIRC.

I don't know how much of their own money they invested into Tyranny, but Paradox published it and they're working with Obsidian on another major project and seem happy, so it doesn't really seem like a major issue to me.
It hasn't been part of Humble Monthly, I don't think. That was Pillars of Eternity.

Mivey

This thing had literally zero marketing so honestly 100k+ feel almost good. I'm not sure what they were expecting.
It's not like they had a huge marketing campaign for PoE. It just had the "Kickstarted Baldur's Gate spiritual sequel" thing going for itself. Lots of media interest, without Obsidian spending a dime, really. It's clear that a new game that tries to define it's own identity and, for lack of a better word, gimmick, would perform worse initially. Now, if 200K sales after a year (and 50% sales) isn't satisfactory, they might have overestimated the market demand for this.
It also had weird on-point-but-probably-bad marketing coming out the day after (or 2?) The U.S. election with the marketing phrase "Sometimes, Evil Wins". I've always wondered what Paradox and Obsidian thought that meant for sales, if anything.

Wouldn't that make the game topical? I mean, yeah, Evil won quite handily that day.

Anno

It also had weird on-point-but-probably-bad marketing coming out the day after (or 2?) The U.S. election with the marketing phrase "Sometimes, Evil Wins". I've always wondered what Paradox and Obsidian thought that meant for sales, if anything.

Labadal

No marketing was a big part of low sales, I think. There were several fans that I know like Obsidian games that didn't even know the game had released. Some people didn't even know until a week after release.

Pillars did well because Kickstarterm at that point was basically free marketing. They had , what? Almost 80K backers. It got reported by several gaming sites. Excitement was real. I am not shocked that Pillars of Eternity has done well. It has also been on sale several times and in the Humble Monthly, not long ago.

The Wart

This is inaccurate, it was over 100k fairly quickly I believe, and hovered around 120k for a while. And the maximum discount has been 60% I think, which is obviously substantial but not fire-sale prices.

What's shocking to me is that it seems to have substantially outsold Torment: Tides of Numenera, which had a massive Kickstarter behind it (albeit also a troubled development). And I think Numenera got discounted earlier and more aggressively. That more than anything makes me doubt the size of the audience for these games.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Trying to finish this up before the end of the week and Divinity:OS 2.

I really really enjoy this game. Kind of wish I hadn't put off beating it and waiting for the DLC and instead already had a completed playthrough so I could try out different choices. I enjoy just about everything they did with this game from the art direction, setting and combat/gameplay changes over PoE. The faction/NPC/companion Loyalty/Wrath system is well done. Changes to the leveling and combat are nice alternative to standard EXP, Combos are great. Love the Spell Crafting too. Even the upgrade system is pretty nice and doesn't totally break the game like crafting often does.

It's just an all around fun game to play and often feels less daunting than PoE did at times. Sucks that it likely underperformed for Paradox, but hopefully it will continue to pick up sales well enough for us to get a sequel. It's a fun and really interesting setting and premise I want to see more of.

Unfortunately I've hit a dialogue/quest bug with the Bastard's Wound. The mural investigation segment is borked for me and I can't seem to progress. So hopefully they put out a patch to fix that ASAP.

One complaint I have though is the VO. It's super well done but it's random as fuck. I think it's worse than PoE was. Feels like so many random conversations are voiced while some really important ones are not. Kind of jarring at times. Unfortunate they can't voice everything, but for a game like this that's probably a massive budget increase they just don't have.

It hasn't been part of Humble Monthly, I don't think. That was Pillars of Eternity.

Ah, you're correct.

What's shocking to me is that it seems to have substantially outsold Torment: Tides of Numenera, which had a massive Kickstarter behind it (albeit also a troubled development). And I think Numenera got discounted earlier and more aggressively. That more than anything makes me doubt the size of the audience for these games.

Going by the Kickstarter page, potentially at least 74k of 136k owners are Kickstarter keys.

My god the combat system is fucking rubbish. Jesus christ, I like the roleplaying aspect but the combat is just making me quit this pos. I have no idea what im doing wrong but I keep dying all the time. Everytime I see a mob I think to myself not again. I always save and die multiple times. Tank cant keep aggro (even if he can he dies in 10) and then its gg. Like am I supposed to get some better equipment or level up or something? The game doesnt seem to tell me if mobs are way more powerfull than me. Im at lethianas crossing and i will never be able to take down the garrison. My chars are lvl 6.

Top Bottom