• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. warns Samsung washing machine owners after explosion reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. warns Samsung washing machine owners after explosion reports - CNN

Samsung, maker of the troubled Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, has another problem on its hands.

U.S. regulators on Wednesday warned owners of certain top-loading Samsung washing machines of "safety issues" following reports that some have exploded.

The warning, from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, covered machines made between March 2011 and April 2016. It did not specify a model.

The commission suggested people use only the delicate cycle to wash bedding and water-resistant and bulky items because the lower spin speed "lessens the risk of impact injuries or property damage due to the washing machine becoming dislodged."

The agency said it is working with Samsung on a remedy.
The warning comes more than a month after Samsung was hit with a federal class-action lawsuit by customers who said their machines had exploded during use.

Customers in Texas, Georgia and Indiana all said they were washing clothes when they heard a violent boom.

A washer belonging to a McAllen, Texas, woman "exploded with such ferocity that it penetrated the interior wall of her garage," according to court filings. A woman in Dallas, Georgia, said it felt and sounded as if "a bomb went off."

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in New Jersey, references similar reports collected by local news and filed online with regulators. It also claims Samsung "has moved aggressively to collect and destroy all evidence of the defective machines" after they exploded.

160928113021-samsung-washing-machine-explodes-780x439.jpg

Samsung is really cornering the market in exploding devices.

Palmer_v1

My god.

Imagine if the terrorists got their handson one of these washing machines, then stuffed it with laundry and Note 7s.

The ultimate dirty bomb.

SpecX

Exploding washers and phone, what next? I have a samsung tv and fridge, do i need to worry about those exploding too?

Check your fucking houses and vehicles for any Samsung products and throw those g'damn bombs away! Wtf Samsung, you damn terrorists are trying to kill us with our own luxury devices?!

Gorillaz

Might as well get a contract with the pentagon at this point. Could be a big start for Samsung and their weapon arm of the company

LakeEarth

Shit, I have a top-loading Samsung washing machine! Although not the same one from the picture in the OP.

That thing does spin super fast, and when it is unbalanced, I have seen the barrel hit the sides of the machine. This is why I always set it to a medium spin.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in New Jersey, references similar reports collected by local news and filed online with regulators. It also claims Samsung "has moved aggressively to collect and destroy all evidence of the defective machines" after they exploded.

What is Samung now the Men in Black?

Seriously though if that's true, that makes it even worse. Literal corporate cover-up

Cronee

A number of years ago I delivered appliances, for 7 years, and you'd be surprised how often this kind of thing happens. Samsung is only getting thrown under the bus because of the recent shit with the note 7.

These machines are often balanced with concrete blocks, shocks, and springs.. if any of those fail, especially on high spin speeds, it will self-destruct.

Some of the high end (read: stupidly expensive) models have sensors that shut down the machine if it detects an imbalance with the drum. Seems this one didn't have that.

Edit: and yes, I have seem some catch fire. Faulty wiring or water leaks.

Shit, I have a top-loading Samsung washing machine! Although not the same one from the picture in the OP.

That thing does spin super fast, and when it is unbalanced, I have seen the barrel hit the sides of the machine. This is why I always set it to a medium spin.
How does that get through quality control?

Not a good month for Samsung.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What's wrong with a top loader?

They are less energy efficient, use more water, require more vertical space and are harder to remove clothing from. They often require manual pre-filling too.

Front loaders on the other hand, can develop mildewy smells in the rubber gasket and detergent trays and are slightly harder to load.

1) Didn't even realise Samsung made washing machines.

2) I suspect this means anything made by Samsung is gonna be looked at very carefully for the next few years. Not sure people would even notice this if not for the connection to the phones issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom