• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. warns Samsung washing machine owners after explosion reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are less energy efficient, use more water, require more vertical space and are harder to remove clothing from. They often require manual pre-filling too.

Front loaders on the other hand, can develop mildewy smells in the rubber gasket and detergent trays and are slightly harder to load.

Learn something new every day. I have a front loader and I just assumed top loaders were for people who like that configuration more.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
1) Didn't even realise Samsung made washing machines.

2) I suspect this means anything made by Samsung is gonna be looked at very carefully for the next few years. Not sure people would even notice this if not for the connection to the phones issues.

Samsung and LG both dominate the front loaders in the US now. I've had them for years with no problems but recently our washer broke (bearings and a lock mechanism) and rather than throw money at repairs of an old unit I bought one on sale from best buy.

Schlorgan

Quickest way to dry your clothes.

fc072b_2255318.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This has been an issue for awhile. I know when I was researching before buying my new washer I saw some reports and video of explosions. After seeing all this info...I bought a Samsung washer anyway. IT WAS TOO CHEAP!

shira

1) Didn't even realise Samsung made washing machines.

2) I suspect this means anything made by Samsung is gonna be looked at very carefully for the next few years. Not sure people would even notice this if not for the connection to the phones issues.

The washing machine division is not involved with the phone division.

You mean you haven't seen the Kristin Bell/Dax Shepard commercials a billion times?

Honestly, no. I'm not sure whether or not the 'Brit' in my username would affect that point.

The washing machine division is not involved with the phone division.

Not what I mean. I mean in the sense that people are now wary of a Samsung product exploding, making it easier for a story like this getting attention and traction.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Learn something new every day. I have a front loader and I just assumed top loaders were for people who like that configuration more.

You can also put a rational height folding/sorting surface directly above front loaders. And you can stack them vertically without that ridiculous gap. All in all they're probably a better design.

Ryzaki009

I shouldn't be laughing this hard but man Samsung is not having a good year.

Do I have anything owned by Samsung.

*checks*

NOPE.

Least I don't have to worry about exploding :D

Samsung make washing machines?

The fuck...

and refrigerators, dishwashers, microwaves, AC Units, washers, dryers, phones, Tablets, TVs, industrial electronic components, screens for iPhones, speakers, soundbars, phone apps, software layers, operating systems....

they make a lot of shit.

Just like LG. That's what a conglomerate does.

Walpurgis

Banned
A number of years ago I delivered appliances, for 7 years, and you'd be surprised how often this kind of thing happens. Samsung is only getting thrown under the bus because of the recent shit with the note 7.

These machines are often balanced with concrete blocks, shocks, and springs.. if any of those fail, especially on high spin speeds, it will self-destruct.

Some of the high end (read: stupidly expensive) models have sensors that shut down the machine if it detects an imbalance with the drum. Seems this one didn't have that.

Edit: and yes, I have seem some catch fire. Faulty wiring or water leaks.
Not sure about the one in the OP but the new Samsung top loaders do have that. It stopped one of my washes mid-load telling me to rebalance. It wasn't that expensive either. We got it for like $600-700.

Shit, it just occurred to me that our landlady installed a new Samsung washer/dryer combo unit a couple months ago. Guess I'll be coming home to a crater here sooner or later.

Not sure about the one in the OP but the new Samsung top loaders do have that. It stopped one of my washes mid-load telling me to rebalance. It wasn't that expensive either. We got it for like $600-700.
That's pretty expensive compared to cheaper models. You can get washing machines for as low as € 250 or so.

Got one of those. Until the rubbers burned through within 2 years and there was smoke coming from the room. Then got a more expensive (Samsung) one that has been going strong for 6 years or so.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Samsung more like Explodesung mirite?

Riptwo

1 of the 3 Samsung appliances that came with my house has already crapped out within two years, but on the plus side, it didn't explode. Here's hoping that the dishwasher and fridge don't combust on me now.

Xilo

Maybe I have missed it, but is the government possibly thinking about investigating Samsung yet? I really hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom