• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uber's "Hell" program created fake Lyft accounts, used info to coax double-drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzer

Banned
If I drove exclusively for Uber id be flipping a shit that they gave preferential treatment to dual appers to give the appearance that uber was better

sangreal

If I drove exclusively for Uber id be flipping a shit that they gave preferential treatment to dual appers to give the appearance that uber was better

its really not any different than the millions of new customer deals that existing customers can't get. loyalty doesn't pay

or for a closer analogy: new hires always make more money

HariKari

Makes you think what would happen if they put the energy into actually turning a profit

The goal of Uber isn't to make a profit right now. It's to become so large and so ubiquitous that it can draw enough investors to hang on until full automation, at which point it becomes the de facto car service.

Too bad everyone involved seems to be a piece of shit.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This is genius IMO. The practice of using your competitors service to gain insight into their data is not new. I have battled against these systems before. I don't find it unfair. You take every advantage you get.

Kyzer

Banned
its really not any different than the millions of new customer deals that existing customers can't get. loyalty doesn't pay

Contractors are not customers. Its like offering my employees $10/hr but if youre new ill pay $13. Its not something the workers would just be okay with

You think new hires getting paid more is no different than a marketing promotion?

spwolf

The cabs in my city had a drive-slow protest that stopped ambulances from reaching people in need. They also made my friend late to see the Star Wars movie with me. Fuck them to hell

basically no works should ever protest because they will inconvenience someone. Roger that.

I bet Lyft uses something like this too to keep an eye on their competitors ... Uber is just at the wrong end of the stick these days. Most companies do shitty things to overcome or learn about their competitors. Its hip to hate Uber these days. As long as they don't break any laws or rights, this is capitalism.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Contractors are not customers. Its like offering my employees $10/hr but if youre new ill pay $13. Its not something the workers would just be okay with

You think new hires getting paid more is no different than a marketing promotion?

...New hires often do get paid more though.

KingV

The goal of Uber isn't to make a profit right now. It's to become so large and so ubiquitous that it can draw enough investors to hang on until full automation, at which point it becomes the de facto car service.

Too bad everyone involved seems to be a piece of shit.

That's a terrible business plan that will take 10+ years to turn a dime of profit.

Fuchsdh

This company is insane. SV hubris embodied.

Yep. "How can we use data-gathering to be our utmost scummy?"

That's a terrible business plan that will take 10+ years to turn a dime of profit.

Well it worked for Amazon. Not saying I disagree that it's a terrible business plan, but there's plenty of cases of VC money propping something up until it can dominate a market, and given all these stories about the lengths Uber is willing to go, the idea that they will be utterly ruthless in destroying any competitor, especially once they can become entrenched and have killed off established taxi services, is not at all far-fetched.

Zyae

I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm not giving the cabs companies where I live any more money. They've made me wait for ridiculous amounts of time, sent me abusive drivers, only let me pay by credit card about 20% of the time, and would sometimes refuse to come out where I live which isn't even that far from downtown. The latter two, btw, are them refusing to follow regulations. A pregnant neighbor mine had 2 cabs refuse her service at around 7 PM. Fuck them.

Seriously. Cab companies are fucking awful.

Kyzer

Banned
but that is exactly how the world works. If you want competitive pay increases you need to switch companies. Loyal long-term employees always get shafted

https://www.forbes.com/sites/camero...r-than-2-years-get-paid-50-less/#bc27f53e07fa

...New hires often do get paid more though.

Ok and thats why I would be pissed lol. Im not arguing about it being bad for the bottom line, im saying id be pissed as a worker. Not only does that further support my point but its even worse than that because they are actually funneling their business to specific contractors. Its like in sales when they give the best performers the most business except even worse because its not even based on performance

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I bet Lyft uses something like this too to keep an eye on their competitors ... Uber is just at the wrong end of the stick these days. Most companies do shitty things to overcome or learn about their competitors. Its hip to hate Uber these days. As long as they don't break any laws or rights, this is capitalism.

They do, it isn't as sophisticated as Uber's.

NandoGip

every time I see an uber thread it makes me feel vindicated from when I said theyre a piece of shit company like a month ago and got roasted by like 20 posters in a row

BlitzKeeg

These threads are always full of SV cheerleaders who show how much they value success over ethics.

But haven't you heard?

Capitalism is the best system and the invisible hand of the free market will make sure everyone is being treated fairly no matter what!

It's okay if Uber is screwing over its fellow man. It just means they're more clever than their competition!

/s

Just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean it's okay.

Gallbaro

Banned
Its funny because, most people don't realize this, but pulling in "double-drivers" was the key business tactic for Uber in NYC.

The program apparently started when Uber decided to create fake Lyft rider accounts and fooled its rival's system into thinking they were in various locations around the city.

How did they do this without hacking into Lyft's network?

Edit: nvm misread it.

KingV

That's what alot of tech start up are. They stay afloat just long enough to be acquired. Twitter still hasn't made a profit.

And twitter is not a particularly successful company. People know what it is but it doesn't make money. It has lost $2-$3 billion in the last 6 years, Uber burned through that in 2016!

Uber is a special case because people claim that it's "master plan" relies on technology that doesn't exist yet, efficiently setting up infrastructure to run said non-existent technology, and somehow getting the billions of dollars (which will surely dwarf the entirety of VC that has already been invested into the company) required to set up said infrastructure while losing like $2 billion/year in the process.

It's absolutely the most overvalued tech startup. A recession will absolutely kill Uber. Shit, higher interest rates might kill Uber. Anything that gives even a slight disruption to The attractiveness of VC could easily put the entire company in a cash crunch that it can't recover from.

Gallbaro

Banned
That's what alot of tech start up are. They stay afloat just long enough to be acquired. Twitter still hasn't made a profit.

How the hell are these companies still referred to as startups? Uber has $ Billions in cash and 1000s to hundreds of thousands of employees, depending on the definition of a contractor.

Uber is a fucking Cab company.

ColdPizza

Banned
Old coworker of mine works at Lyft. He says they're not worried about it. Data must not have been that useful if they stopped doing it last year.

samn

basically no works should ever protest because they will inconvenience someone. Roger that.

There's a difference between a typical strike (withdrawal of labour) and fucking up the roads for everyone else so that ambulances can't reach people who need them.

All for the sake of protesting a new enforcement system against taxi drivers that drive like idiots.

If they're upset about it then they could simply refuse to drive that day, the problem is that hardly anyone would notice because they provide a luxury service barely anyone needs and their absence just drops air pollution and makes it safer to cycle.

How long before we find out Uber HQ was built with child labor?

Still would be better than the 100% scam artist rate I've run in with regular taxis sadly.

All of my experiences with cab drivers involved them refusing to give me rides because I was with a black friend.

Uber it is.

Experienced this as well.

Honestly between racist drivers with cars that reak/drive like psychos/lie about credit card machines an Uber driver could legit punch me in the stomach as hard as they could and it would still be better than any cab ride.

Don't really see the problem with it. It's kind of clever, really. It's not like they falsified rides or anything; they just figured out which of their drivers were driving for both them and Lyft, and offered them incentives to only drive for them. Kind of sneaky, but not really scummy.

There's a difference between a typical strike (withdrawal of labour) and fucking up the roads for everyone else so that ambulances can't reach people who need them.

All for the sake of protesting a new enforcement system against taxi drivers that drive like idiots.

If they're upset about it then they could simply refuse to drive that day, the problem is that hardly anyone would notice because they provide a luxury service barely anyone needs and their absence just drops air pollution and makes it safer to cycle.

Toronto? Back about a year ago, there was a taxi strike where video emerged of a taxi deliberately blocking an ambulance, and another of a taxi driver threatening an Uber driver in his car.

DOWN

Banned
Yeah I'm not really getting it. Competitors break rules of retail stores by coming in and recording prices, layouts, etc. Companies incentivize you to sign up for their service by paying termination fees for their competitors, price matching + 10%, etc. This seems related to both of those and people like those things.

I think people are mostly up in arms to keep the hate train going this time.
Yeah sorry, but I can't imagine that most major companies aren't very investigative of their competitors. Hell, Ford bought Tesla's on day one to reverse engineer some of it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Does Uber have some sort of exclusive deal with the city of Atlanta or something? I was there this past weekend and my drunk ass had to reinstall their app because Lyft was like "no, not here."

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This can't be legal.
Isn't it tortious interference?

Man Uber is pretty fucking savage. They create a bad precedent when they are allowed to get away with things like this. New and clever ways of corporate espionage.

Keep doing it.

Uber is getting exposed
But I seriously doubt their tech culture is unique. They are just a large target with momentum runnin against them. Elements of the shady stuff they seem ok with doing are probably present in other Silicon Valley firms I doubt new Uber employees were like "omg how unusual this is shady shit I have never encountered in my career".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom