• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Accidentally Announces Assassin's Creed Revelation (Altair Connection?)

XAL

Dibbz said:
It's more about Brotherhood being AC2.5

It made good improvements to the gameplay but nothing significant. It was just a more refined version of AC set in the world of AC2.

Obviously people are worried that Ubisoft are going to continue the trend and make small improvements rather than taking their time and making an entirely new AC.

Ah, I see what they're getting at now.

Honestly if it is just the AC Brotherhood of Altair's day, I wouldn't be pissed (IMO, the story of Altair creating the brotherhood and fleeing to Italy with his family would make a great story, perhaps training his son and switching character roles at some point in the game). That was a great character and historical time period (the game itself, way overrated - at least from a gameplay and pacing standpoint). I doubt any assets can be shared between AC1 and ACRev, if indeed ACR is an Altair game.

If this is following the suggested model then it's safe to assume it will be much more substantial than ACB (new) content wise. It is also in effect paving the way for AC3 to have reaaaaally fleshed out gameplay, which is a good thing. So if this game is a stepping stone to make AC3 a much better game, I'm for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was also Ubisoft's way of delaying the 3rd major title in the trilogy to the next console cycle (which, if AC3 is the last game in Desmond's character arc, it should be ridiculously epic in scale and length and may be out of the scope of this console generation from what the developers want to do).

Not many studios have enough demand, resources, story, and fiction to make these surprisingly lengthy "half sequels". As long as the story is good and the gameplay is solid while adding/refining gameplay elements I'm game for another one.

And be honest, there have been full on titles, sequels, and spin-offs for many other franchises that don't hold a candle to ACB. And if you like the lore of AC but don't want to play/buy it - just do what I do, watch playthroughs on youtube or streams.

jett

D-Member
We can't play as Altair through Desmond. In AC2 we saw how the genetic memory line was passed on to his unborn child.

...unless the current AC team decides to forget about that. If they do it'll pretty much tell us that wherever the story goes, it won't be what the AC creator Patrice Desilets intended.

BTW, I really like ACB, hell I'm playing it again right now, the PC version this time. Others answered for me about the whole reusing assets thing. In my opinion it cheapens the product, and a mark of something that was hastily put together. Some of us want a proper full-fledged AC3 that not only brings substantial gameplay improvements and innovations, but also properly advances the story. ACB is a complete afterthought in the grand scheme of things, with the only exception being the last 30 minutes. I don't want a yearly AssCreed game...man what I wanted was for Ubisoft to stick to Patrice's original plan of have it being a trilogy.

p.s. do some of you really think Ubisoft is "secretly" developing AC3 alongside this Revelations game? I lol'd. I doubt we'll ever see a numbered AC game again.

jett said:
We can't play as Altair through Desmond. In AC2 we saw how the genetic memory line was passed on to his unborn child.

...unless the current AC team decides to forget about that. If they do it'll pretty much tell us that wherever the story goes, it won't be what the AC creator Patrice Desilets intended.

BTW, I really like ACB, hell I'm playing it again right now, the PC version this time. Others answered for me about the whole reusing assets thing. In my opinion it cheapens the product, and a mark of something that was hastily put together. Some of us want a proper full-fledged AC3 that not only brings substantial gameplay improvements and innovations, but also properly advances the story. ACB is a complete afterthought in the grand scheme of things, with the only exception being the last 30 minutes. I don't want a yearly AssCreed game...man what I wanted was for Ubisoft to stick to Patrice's original plan of have it being a trilogy.

p.s. do some of you really think Ubisoft is "secretly" developing AC3 alongside this Revelations game? I lol'd. I doubt we'll ever see a numbered AC game again.

Well, it's feasible for a smaller team to be working on the next/2012 release while the majority work on the 2011 game.

Is that why Patrice left Ubi? Because they wanted to make AC yearly or was there something else behind the departure? I always figured there was a core group of people who came up with the concept, or was it always Patrice's idea?

In any case, I'm sure we will see AC3... because it's not like an eternity of just bouncing back and forth between Italy and the Holy Land... we'll get a new character, location, and continuation of the present day story...

jett

D-Member
AC is Patrice's baby. Reasons for his departure are unknown, but I can't imagine he was pleased with being forced by management to develop yearly AC games. Sooo interested in what he's doing next.

jett said:
AC is Patrice's baby. Reasons for his departure are unknown, but I can't imagine he was pleased with being forced by management to develop yearly AC games. Sooo interested in what he's doing next.

If that's the case, I'm kinda hoping he like... left a series bible or a lot of notes so they can do AC3 as according to his vision... they do those for games, right?

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
If that's the case, I'm kinda hoping he like... left a series bible or a lot of notes so they can do AC3 as according to his vision... they do those for games, right?

Supposedly something like this exists.

jett said:

Altair's genetic memories are still in Desmond's DNA. There's no reason he shouldn't be able to access more of them if need be.

It doesn't matter how many people have come and gone since Altair, his memories are still there in Desmond's DNA, along with Ezio and any other ancestors Desmond has.

Irish

The Antitype said:
Altair's genetic memories are still in Desmond's DNA. There's no reason he shouldn't be able to access more of them if need be.

It doesn't matter how many people have come and gone since Altair, his memories are still there in Desmond's DNA, along with Ezio and any other ancestors Desmond has.

Actually, the memories Altair made after he passed on the seed which would produce the rest of Desmond's ancestors would not be open for access. We'd have to view those events from the perspective of his child.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Antitype said:

He means the game could not take place after the conception of the child.

But then again the Apple can be used to explain anything really:p

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:

I just realized that. There goes my hope for a new game with Altair.

Unless they get another descendant from Altair who is not descendant from the unborn child we saw in AC2.

Irish

Now that I think about it:

Wouldn't the only way for Desmond to see Old Ezio in the present (time period) near the end of the game be through another one of his ancestors?

You know, when he saw the 'ghost' of him in Monteriggioni opening up some door or leaving a clue.

jett

D-Member
Irish said:
Now that I think about it:

Wouldn't the only way for Desmond to see Old Ezio in the present (time period) near the end of the game be through another one of his ancestors?

You know, when he saw the 'ghost' of him in Monteriggioni opening up some door or leaving a clue.

Ehh, it was the exact same character model from the entire game. I think Desmond simply didn't realize how old Ezio was. He's pushing 50 in AC:B.

Or maybe he had a kid late in life. :p

Irish

Well, yeah, I'm just saying we were actually viewing that stuff as another one of Desmond's ancestors since we were seeing Ezio instead of 'being' him. Who that ancestor was wasn't that important to the post, be it Ezio's kid, baby mama, or grand kid. :p

Wow such strong feelings on the reused assets, I can understand to a point but man....

As you could tell from the end sequence of ACII, Ubi was already heavily invested in building assets for Rome. I think they decided to cut a lot from that final sequence from ACII. Since creating those assets costs a fortune in resources and man-hours, they probably just decided to build another game to use them in, and I can't blame them. Plus with this "2.5" iteration they could experiment within the brand with stuff like multiplayer and new engaging SP-mechanics. A nice testing ground for a new AC in another timeline.

As far as this new title goes, we don't know jack about it. Another console/PC AC-game this year is always welcome if they want to experiment some more AND make a gazillion dollars in the process. The brand is still strong so I don't see why they shouldn't do it.

itxaka

Defeatist
Oh man, Rome was so badass. Stopping in the spot where I had dinner in rome in the game was awesome.

Is it mentioned anywhere that we can only revive the memories of direct ancestors? I just thought of that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
itxaka said:
Oh man, Rome was so badass. Stopping in the spot where I had dinner in rome in the game was awesome.

Is it mentioned anywhere that we can only revive the memories of direct ancestors? I just thought of that.

It's pretty much been established that the animus allows you to relive the memories of your ancestors, because memory is recorded in DNA which is passed on through generations.

Sober

Irish said:
I think there is just so much good stuff in AC1 that gets overshadowed by certain elements like mission variety when people remember the first game.

The assassinations themselves have yet to be matched. Everything about them including the lead-up, the targets themselves, the places and events that they took place in, the dialogue with the dying target, and the final escapes were all so awesome.
There was a Gamastura article about how AC1 was very much supposed to be that different. They decided to switch to a GTA-style mission structure from then on because it was sort of boring. The intent was to play AC1 basically like a real assassin during the Third Crusade, but they did things like not have a radar (to force you to learn the city layouts, etc.). If anything, the game was may more historically accurate (minus the part where you assassinate your target in a public space then get apprehended to be executed). When you finish your info gathering missions some of them actually give you good maps on what to do.

I honestly tried replaying AC1 without the radar (as originally intended) but it's tough as hell. Plus they decided they were going to play out the Assassins vs. Templars for Eden pieces sci-fi story so the assassins didn't actually have to be historically accurately destroyed in 1256 by the Mongols so we could have AC2.

If this is going to be ACBro for Altair then I wouldn't expect the AC1 mission structure and more AC2 since it would be more story-focused anyway.

Irish said:
Actually, the memories Altair made after he passed on the seed which would produce the rest of Desmond's ancestors would not be open for access. We'd have to view those events from the perspective of his child.

Exactly. But there's still a TON of time between the ending of Assassin's Creed and Altair conceiving a child.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Well, it's feasible for a smaller team to be working on the next/2012 release while the majority work on the 2011 game.

Is that why Patrice left Ubi? Because they wanted to make AC yearly or was there something else behind the departure? I always figured there was a core group of people who came up with the concept, or was it always Patrice's idea?

In any case, I'm sure we will see AC3... because it's not like an eternity of just bouncing back and forth between Italy and the Holy Land... we'll get a new character, location, and continuation of the present day story...
THQ is paying Patrice a crapload of money. I think thats the reason he left...

Irish

The Antitype said:
Exactly. But there's still a TON of time between the ending of Assassin's Creed and Altair conceiving a child.

True, I was just thinking about him not being able to access the memories of after that event. He could totally access any earlier memories. That is just what I had read the original statement as.

HixxSAFC said:
not when they've been getting better and better each release, no thanks. when they start to stagnate, sure.

Seriously! More great games is ... well, great!

I'm playing through Brotherhood and it's amazing. I hope they just keep improving and improving.

Irish

I hope they have a CG trailer for this game like they have had for the others. Now, I know most people don't care for CG trailers, but I think the AC ones have always been extremely informative. They can detail a lot of new additions to the game in a very short period of time.

For example:

The Assassin's Creed trailer showed off the concept of the series as a whole. You had the setting, the main character design, the crowd dynamics, the counter combat, the wrist blade, the actual assassination, the escape sequences, the parkour, and, finally, you had the blending aspects. It didn't really reveal much of the story though.

In addition to showing off Ezio (with his Assassin garb) and the new setting, the Assassin's Creed II trailer introduced us to a ton of new gameplay mechanics like hiring a group to either distract or attack guards, the concept of money in the game in general, the many new enemy types, the ability to disarm an enemy and use his weapon against him, the new weapon types like the gun, and it even when into some detail about what happens in the story with the whole Carnival stuff and the big bad talking about Ezio's dead father and living mother.

Again, the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood trailer showed off the new Assassin garb and setting while also introducing even more enemy types like the Papal guard and rifle carriers, the Assassin Brotherhood and the type of support they provide, showed that the story would focus on the Borgia's and Ezio, and it showed just how much influence Ezio had even in Rome.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Irish said:
I hope they have a CG trailer for this game like they have had for the others. Now, I know most people don't care for CG trailers, but I think the AC ones have always been extremely informative. They can detail a lot of new additions to the game in a very short period of time.

For example:

The Assassin's Creed trailer showed off the concept of the series as a whole. You had the setting, the main character design, the crowd dynamics, the counter combat, the wrist blade, the actual assassination, the escape sequences, the parkour, and, finally, you had the blending aspects. It didn't really reveal much of the story though.

In addition to showing off Ezio (with his Assassin garb) and the new setting, the Assassin's Creed II trailer introduced us to a ton of new gameplay mechanics like hiring a group to either distract or attack guards, the concept of money in the game in general, the many new enemy types, the ability to disarm an enemy and use his weapon against him, the new weapon types like the gun, and it even when into some detail about what happens in the story with the whole Carnival stuff and the big bad talking about Ezio's dead father and living mother.

Again, the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood trailer showed off the new Assassin garb and setting while also introducing even more enemy types like the Papal guard and rifle carriers, the Assassin Brotherhood and the type of support they provide, showed that the story would focus on the Borgia's and Ezio, and it showed just how much influence Ezio had even in Rome.

Some of the best trailers in the industry. Always right to the point, focusing on gameplay and setting without making it obvious.

Glix

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

Yeah, but the worry is that he left because they were forcing him to make changes to the way he wanted to do it...

hence making the "bible" worthless, as they would be shoehorning changes.

Irish

Ether_Snake said:
Some of the best trailers in the industry. Always right to the point, focusing on gameplay and setting without making it obvious.

Indeed. Of course, I may just notice these things because I have already played the games. I probably wouldn't be able to pick out individual pieces like that in the new trailer.

Sagitario said:
Is the first AC worth playing? I got AC2 as a birthday gift last year and still haven't started it yet.

Let's just put it this way:

Some people, like myself, really loved the first game and actually think the sequels were a downgrade in a lot of areas outside of combat and some other things. However, 95% of the time, people hated the first game, but really liked the sequels, so I think you may as well go ahead and play ACII first. If you really like it, I suggest you go back and play the first game to see if it suits you or not.

Sagitario said:
Is the first AC worth playing? I got AC2 as a birthday gift last year and still haven't started it yet.

AC is... different from AC2. In my opinion, AC2 is the better game, mechanically and in narrative, AC is worth playing. Tells an interesting story, and it's a pretty damn charming game. It is however, in my opinion, a harder game. Play it first to appreciate AC2 more, then play ACB because it heavily improves on all of the flaws from the previous two games (mechanically anyway)

Sagitario said:
I'd say watch the intro and ending on youtube of AC1. If you can find a web page that talks about all of the secrets/emails in AC1 as well, maybe read that. Then go on to play AC2. While there are some cool moments in AC1 there too much frustration and repetition for the amount of story/enjoyment you get out of it IMO.

Astery

My true feelings:
AC1 at the time: Holy fuck awesome
AC2 at the time: Holy fuck awesome, hidden gun fuck yeah. Only disappointment : fuck the ending 'battle' and wtf aliens
AC:brotherhood at the time: Holy fuck awesome, I can now have some nice subs helping out like a boss, the town building part from AC2 is now a lot easier.

so for this new entry, if it's a major entry, I would like more customizable subs and more exploration on this system.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Uhm thread title is still wrong? I thought it will be called "RevelationS.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Irish said:
88% already. This will be done within the next few hours or so.
I wonder what we will see, probably almost nothing ... But hey who knows a cool teaser, I can hope ^^

Irish

Well, it's at 96% now and will likely reach 100% by the end of the hour.

I wouldn't mind if all they showed off for the moment was the Assassin garb.

Correction, 98% now.

Kingsora

Well that's probably only a couple of minutes left :eek:

cabottemp

Banned
i'll be straight, AC is my favorite series besides Metal Gear. But if this new game is really brotherhood but with Altair... I mean, I'll buy it, but fuck I'm gonna be disappointed.

I'm ready for AC3, Mang

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Altair > Ezio.

Ezio smells.

Kingsora

Darn you Ubisoft, put it at least at 99% then

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You guys need more potatoes.

Top Bottom