• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft announces Skull and Bones, open-world multiplayer Pirates game

Inspector Q

Man, I was waiting for them to try boarding another ship to see what the combat would look like. Seeing that it was just a cutscene was a major buzzkill, lol.

I kind of wish they would just rip the "Art of Battle" combat system straight out of For Honor and make use of it here. Allow you to customize your Captain's weapons to change up your fighting style. Have the regular ship crew be like cannon fodder that you can slice through, but have the first mates and captains be full fledged duels similar to For Honor.

I don't know, just throwing the idea out there. For Honor is their own IP, they might as well make use of the unique combat system they came up with. It beats just watching a boarding cutscene everytime you board an enemy ship.

Rad-

At first I thought "poor Rare" but watching and reading about the gameplay these two games seem very different. SoT is about being part of pirate crew while this is about naval battles.

Paperboy

I disagree on this. I think it will make people choose. 'Pirates' is not exactly a genre/game type where many come out and people feel comfortable buying a few different like shooters or whatever.

I thnk people will choose to go one or the other. Of course reviews,etc will help and sea of thieves gets released first so that will have an advantage, but ubisoft usually manage to sell a ton of units on stuff like this so it will take players away from Rare. How many remains to be seen,

And the Ubisoft game looks alot more action focused than SOT, which will draw away a certain crowd too

I think, because there are few pirate-themed games people who are into these will more likely take a closer look at every one of them. It's of course about what you can do and how the games play out, but for many of us the 17th century Carribean setting is a strong pull factor. When people talk about Skull & Bones in the future they will most likely mention games like Black Flag and Sea of Thieves. Skull & Bones might not satisfy the craving for being a pirate since it's only ship combat, at the same time Sea of Thieves could stimulate a player to try the more lifelike Skull & Bones afterwards. One or two gamers perhaps feel the need to replay Monkey Island after playing Sea of Thieves aswell.

I dunno. The naval combat was a great part of BF. But a multiplayer only ship battle simulator only scratches one itch. I was hoping for more like a Risen game made by Ubi.

Vintage

I must say, naval combat sucks. It's boring, slow and has very few fun tactics. You basically wait to go side by side, fire, spend a minute turning around and repeat that several times.
In Black Flag the naval combat wasn't great also, it was serviceable at best, but all other pirate activities around it made the game fun. This is definitely a hard pass for me.

I feel this got made because of the perfect pitch for the executives:
Online multiplayer, which is a rule for all new Ubisoft's IPs now.
Skins for ships, lootboxes, literally!
Coop raids, ala Destiny/Division, which is hot shit now.
Someone on the forums asked for naval combat.

I hope this fires back at them so they reevaluate their "everything is online" bs.

jett

D-Member
I must say, naval combat sucks. It's boring, slow and has very few fun tactics. You basically wait to go side by side, fire, spend a minute turning around and repeat that several times.
In Black Flag the naval combat wasn't great also, it was serviceable at best, but all other pirate activities around it made the game fun. This is definitely a hard pass for me.

Honestly, sailing in general has never been fun for me in a game.

hydruxo

I'm really disappointed that it's only naval battles. I mean, I enjoyed the naval battles a lot in Black Flag but that's just one part of the game. I can't imagine an entire game of nothing but that. I was hoping this would have on land combat and gameplay, so when I realized that it didn't then it killed it for me.

Sea of thieves still looks more appealing to me. But because of this game I have won a very long on going bet. Being that taking from the mechanics of AC3 and black flags, Ubi would create it's own pirate game.

I have a strong felling that this either won't release, or be delayed to get retooled. It seems most of the buzz is negative to confused(they've already screwed the marketing), and doesn't help that For Honor(which it looks like) had a big lukewarm post release.

Yeah really bummed to see and hear this is an naval online 5v5 game. Zero interest in that whatsoever. I was hoping for a real pirate experience, better than Black Flag :(.

Also the name is quite bad right?

Pejo

The naval parts of the AC pirate games were great, but not as an entire game. It doesn't look like they split out the mechanics enough to make it a full thing, based on the videos I've seen. Really a strange decision to have it be a PVP naval-only game instead of a Black Flag minus the tailing/assassination missions type game. I'd love a good pirate adventure game.

Honestly, sailing in general has never been fun for me in a game.

Your opinion is wrong. Sail ships are the most beautiful thing mankind ever accomplished, and every game that lets me steer them and fire full broadsides at the enemy gets my attention.

You are the likes who use speed boats and rush their way in to port with the cheapest ale and wrenches, aren't you?

Young sailors these days...

Saw Angry Joe's interview, we will get to customize our captains at the very least.

Hopefully this gets reworked to actually have hand to hand and exploration eventually.

Cuningas de Häme;240860026 said:
Your opinion is wrong. Sail ships are the most beautiful thing mankind ever accomplished, and every game that lets me steer them and fire full broadsides at the enemy gets my attention.

You are the likes who use speed boats and rush their way in to port with the cheapest ale and wrenches, aren't you?

Young sailors these days...

Tell me about it

Sailing in a storm, one of the coolest gaming experiences

Assassins-Creed-IV-Black-Flag-Sea-Storm.jpg

Does this game has on ground exploring (think AC IV when you're not in a ship)? Is this game ships only? Multiplayer only? I hope there's a beefy campaign!

Artdayne

Tell me about it

Sailing in a storm, one of the coolest gaming experiences

Assassins-Creed-IV-Black-Flag-Sea-Storm.jpg

It should be but I don't think I've seen a game that captures the experience. I mean it's visually impressive to be sure but I want them to create an experience that makes me feel fear in a storm. Sailing the ocean should fill you with awe and fear both. An endless expanse of water with sharks, sailing into the unknown, fear of pirates but also awe in seeing this thing much greater than yourself. There has to be significant consequences to sailing through a storm, potentially crashing your ship or damaging some of the equipment, losing some of your shipmates. I'm still waiting for that game.

Stiler

It should be but I don't think I've seen a game that captures the experience. I mean it's visually impressive to be sure but I want them to create an experience that makes me feel fear in a storm. Sailing the ocean should fill you with awe and fear both. An endless expanse of water with sharks, sailing into the unknown, fear of pirates but also awe in seeing this thing much greater than yourself. There has to be significant consequences to sailing through a storm, potentially crashing your ship or damaging some of the equipment, losing some of your shipmates. I'm still waiting for that game.

Exactly, your ship should have the ability to get damaged during a storm, from lightning hits to waves causing damage to even potentially wrecking your ship depending on how you are sailing it, etc.

Same way when it comes to navigating reefs and things, those are almost NEVER done in any pirate game that well.

Reefs and sailing shallow waters was one of the most skilled things that a crew had to do and it's why pilots were one of the most sought after skills aboard a ship, having to know how to navigate a port or reefs that could easily cause a ship to wreck and sink took a ton of skill that many sailors and even captains did not have.

Top Bottom