• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft dev: Xbox 720 "aligned with what Sony announced"

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I hope both are similar hardware-wise, it would be in the best interest of the industry. They need to differentiate themselves with the services they provide.

iMax

Really don't understand this mentality, why exactly is only Sony capable of 8GB GDDR?

They're not. It's just a view held by some who remain oblivious to the fact that final Durango specs haven't leaked, unlike Sony's Orbis specs that did.

netBuff

Its the BS that Sony fans say when they say the PS4 will be better than the next xbox along with, "8GB DDR5!?!".

Again: All leaks point to PS4 being more powerful. Denying that is veering off into company-fan territory. We may not have the final Xbox specs, but it seems increasingly unlikely the final product is going to be much different from what we know.

Marleyman

Banned
Sony only very briefly talked about the PS4 features.

Plenty of room for MS to expand on that and they no doubt will. They know what plays well with people and mainstream media who don't converse on forums over every scrap of gossip and rumour.

I can't wait to see what they've been planning with Live will be very interesting to see how they build on it now Sony has raised the game.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of this.

slider

Its the BS that Sony fans say when they say the PS4 will be better than the next xbox along with, "8GB DDR5!?!".

Lol. Absolutely lol! Brilliant too.

On topic, MS better be aiming for a similar launch window as Sony if the two machines turn out to be so closely aligned.

Because they have already announced those things.

If MS announces similar features in their reveal then ppl will be much less impressed since they have already heard all that.

People buy systems based on games they want to play, not on who had them more excited at a reveal that took place 8 months prior.

Minions

Makes me wonder if Microsoft is playing the reactionary card. I completely expected them to have a rebuttal by now. I think the Sony reveal put a damper on their plans which is why the "reveal" is being delayed. Would be interesting to find out how much of this was planned from the get-go and how much is a response to what Sony revealed.

Honestly, if they both had their own strategic plans, if both have "video sharing", I'd be a little suspicious as I don't see that as being that common a goal... especially with all the "Video game footage is Copyrighted!" that has been all over Youtube from Sega as of late.

GavinGT

Banned
I doubt MS told Ubisoft anything more substantive than system specs. Ubi likely has no idea what MS is planning feature-wise, which is what really matters.

Derrick01

Banned
It's going to be connected. It's going to be social. It's going to be immersive. It's going to be interactive."

But will it play games? Or are we talking about that refrigerator Trey Parker wanted at the MS conference.

It better be as powerful as the PS4 hardware wise or they can count me out as using it as my main console next gen.

Maybe they will surprise me and have 8GB of ram like the PS4 and a comparable GPU/CPU.

We already ''know'' it has 8GB ram. I think the biggest issue is that it most likely will reserve more ram to the OS and stuff and has less available for games. That and it is DDR3 and not GDDR5.

CPU will apparently be the same and GPU is comparable enough. Some say that it is not possible but I hope they can bump up the ram. If I am not completely mistaken the difference between rumoured Durango GPU and PS4 GPU is much more trivial than the difference of 7GB DDR5 for games vs 6GB DDR3 (just a guess/example).

Judging by the leaks, this is all fully expected. I imagine the difference will come down to the small stuff, presentation of the features, etc.

I think the big megatons will be held back till E3, gamescom, and TGS. That's when we'll see them showing off the major exclusives, first and third party, and giving us the details on price and launch date, etc.

Till then, it's just spec fights between fanboys.

Really don't understand this mentality, why exactly is only Sony capable of 8GB GDDR?

Here's the thing, 8GB of GDDR5 of UNIFIED Memory is great. However what excites developers (and a lot of the PS Devs at GDC were talking about) is the Unified Memory part. You can allocate that ram however you see fit. Want to use most of it for graphics? Go ahead. Want to use it to queue up AI decision making trees and have them execute quickly and smoothly? Go ahead.

In short if MS has a lot of ram or even if its GDDR5, if its not unified memory then Sony has the leg up in regards to ram for their system.

I doubt MS told Ubisoft anything more substantive than system specs. Ubi likely has no idea what MS is planning feature-wise, which is what really matters.

Wouldn't they need to know those aspects though? I would imagine being one of the largest developers in the industry, and if they're releasing their games on the system in next 7 months, they damn well better know the features of the system.

Good to hear some positive things about it. It's very possible Microsoft reconsidered what they originally planning to do (always online, anti-used, etc.)

Takuya

Banned
Wouldn't they need to know those aspects though? I would imagine being one of the largest developers in the industry, and if they're releasing their games on the system in next 7 months, they damn well better know the features of the system.

We have plenty of leaks already, the hardware, apart from little minute details, won't deviate much from what's already there. The systems will differ mostly on their offerings software/service wise.

netBuff

microsoft gonna finish sony no matter the cost.

Like they are now "dominating" Smartphones, Tablets and are losing market share in Desktops? ;)

We have plenty of leaks already, the hardware, apart from little minute details, won't deviate much from what's already there. The systems will differ mostly on their offerings software/service wise.

I don't expect too much difference in terms of relevant services (media streaming, social sharing). A slower GPU & slower RAM is significant to gamers if the leaks turn out to be accurate.

surly

Banned
Yep, I don't see cable companies giving up portential income to Microsoft. They'll still charge you, on top of whatever Microsoft will charge.

XBOX Live Platinum - Set top features unlocked, view your cable provider's content on XBOX for only $10 a month.**
The 360 already has apps that are tied into cable providers, offering you content on the 360 if you are signed up with a particular provider.

daveo42

Banned
Can't pull up the article at work. In the full article, are they discussing that Microsoft took keys from Sony on the additional social aspects only?

That interactive part is pretty much mandatory, even without Kinect integration. Unless they've decided to completely remove all interaction from gaming and turn them into over-glorified movie players.

GavinGT

Banned

Well, if they're system level features then developers don't really need to know yet. If some features require developer effort, I imagine they'd still have enough time if they learn about them in May/June with everyone else. I just think Microsoft is holding some cards very close to its chest, especially when something said to a third party could quickly make it to Sony's ears.

MS will almost definitely include a suspend feature, and signs seem to point toward a Twitch.tv partnership. These features will largely be perceived as rip-offs, whether or not they were already being planned before Sony's announcement. But I think Microsoft, as the world's largest software company, will have a few innovative and compelling new features not available on PS4.

Next Xbox on par with PS4 wouldn't surprise me at all. What worries me is that damn mandatory Kinect stuff.

They need some miracles at E3 (many new AAA IP's) to get me really excited.

At this point I only want a PS4.

x-Lundz-x

We already ''know'' it has 8GB ram. I think the biggest issue is that it most likely will reserve more ram to the OS and stuff and has less available for games. That and it is DDR3 and not GDDR5.

CPU will apparently be the same and GPU is comparable enough. Some say that it is not possible but I hope they can bump up the ram. If I am not completely mistaken the difference between rumoured Durango GPU and PS4 GPU is much more trivial than the difference of 7GB DDR5 for games vs 6GB DDR3 (just a guess/example).

Last I heard is was DDR3 like you said, I guess I should clarify I hope it's GDDR5 as well. I am a two console guy, and will buy both regardless. However I play all my main games on Xbox 360 now and only exclusives on PS3.

That is going to be switched gen if the Xbox 720 is weaker than the PS4. The PS4 has a lot of very cool features so I'm excited to see what MS's answer will be besides Kinect this and Kinect that!!!

If Kinect is mandatory and not optional, they can just right well fuck off no matter how powerful the console ends up being. I absolutely refuse to have that plugged in and forced down my throat. If that ends up being true, I'll wait until the next Halo game is out and get it then and when I am done with Halo 5 it will collect dust until the final Halo game is released.

graboids

just make Kinect optional... can't explain it fully, but this is probably what will determine which system I buy, if Kinect is mandatory I'll go PS4. not because Sony won't have a camera, but because MS has forced Kinect down our throats for the past couple years, and their marketing/PR/douchebaggery the past couple years just makes me feel like if I ever own a Kinect then they win...

Well I can't see any reason why Durango would not have unified memory - Xbox and Xbox 360 had it.

Thats why I'm most interested in how much both Sony and MS are reserving for OS. PS4 had 0,5GB for OS when it still had 4GB ram. Did they keep it that way or did they bump the ram for OS when they bumbed total ram to 8GB.

There was that old ass rumour that Durango would reserve 3GB ram for OS and other features but that would be pretty ludicrous imo and I am not expecting that.

RAWi

So... we get the same console two times?

Now give me something so I can choose between one and the other. What features make this consoles more than just being a pesudo-PC?!

We know the CPU and GPU are similar, with PS4's GPU being slightly better.

We also know the Durango has 8GBDDR3 with 32MB(?)EDRAM. I say that's pretty in line with the PS4, albeit a bit less powerful.

Alx

So... we get the same console two times?

Now give me something so I can choose between one and the other. What features make this consoles more than just being a pesudo-PC?!

hint : it starts with a k... :D

Top Bottom