• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft dev: Xbox 720 "aligned with what Sony announced"

vgJames

Banned
What would you expect them to say at a core gamer conference? Casuals aren't watching the conference. They are appealing to the core gamers at the core conference.

It seems to have been a major design philosophy. Their 'core gamer' attitude doesn't just seem to be pandering to the audience at said event... it seems to be an attitude that has been taken into account during the creation process.

1mgb6y.gif

Hedon

Banned
It seems to have been a major design philosophy. Their 'core gamer' attitude doesn't just seem to be pandering to the audience at said event... it seems to be an attitude that has been taken into account during the creation process.

Well, I will assume if you want to believe that, you are entitled. Largely, most know that marketing and PR was the focus of the event, and what better way to appeal to a core gamer than tell them there is core games and core focus.

Their attitude is clear, they are starting to focus more on casual (assuming the eyetoy is included). Motion controller is default. Tablet/phone like touch screen on controller is default. Move lights in controller is default. Motion camera is default. More casual games is their focus. Luckily they won't leave us core gamers behind, but Sony has clearly changed focus looking at the success of the original Wii, tablets/phone mini-games, Kinect as well as Move, and all the consumers it has brought in to gaming. PS4 is one more step to CasualStation. I hope they don't forget about us core gamers though.

cornerman

Well, I will assume if you want to believe that, you are entitled. Largely, most know that marketing and PR was the focus of the event, and what better way to appeal to a core gamer than tell them there is core games and core focus.

Their attitude is clear, they are starting to focus more on casual (assuming the eyetoy is included). Motion controller is default. Tablet/phone like touch screen on controller is default. Move lights in controller is default. Motion camera is default. More casual games is their focus. Luckily they won't leave us core gamers behind, but Sony has clearly changed focus looking at the success of the original Wii, tablets/phone mini-games, Kinect as well as Move, and all the consumers it has brought in to gaming. PS4 is one more step to CasualStation. I hope they don't forget about us core gamers though.

I agree and disagree with you. I think the tablet culture/Wii's early success are motivators to cast a larger net and lure in more casual (less console-centric) gamers. Every company has a ploy to bring in new revenue. But Sony has always had a "Big Tent" philosophy. They welcome all sizes, all genres, and with tons of developers making indie games...they'd be foolish to turn them away. You've got a sea of potential out there...devs who'll be growing, expanding, or pumping out big hits of varying sizes. It'd be foolish to turn a blind eye to them. Casual gaming is a form of gaming as obvious as that sounds.

They've asked developers what they want in architecture, controller design, services (both OS-wise and developer relations-wise). Ease of development, controller input that meets the needs of as many developers as possible, is all a means of pulling in content...and making that content best suited for PS platforms. 3rd parties aren't going away. Sony first party isn't going away (ND isn't working on a Angry Birds clone for example), games we find on PSN aren't going away. They're just bringing more developers and games in. There's something for everyone.

vgJames

Banned

It was a marketing and PR event yes but if it (The console) was designed for the casuals then why not use the event as a marketing and PR event for that much bigger audience? It would make no sense for Sony to spend all their marketing for the (almost) guaranteed purchases of the 'hardcore gamer' when they could spend time and money convincing the casual audience... the audience that needs convincing.

'Assuming' the eyetoy is included - I'm talking about what we KNOW and what others outside of Sony (Mark Rein etc.) have told us whereas you are just speculating there. The default controller is the Dualshock 4 - not the Move. The Dualshock touch pad is different to a tablet... it's an additional element added onto the standard control method. It looks as though more 'core' games is their focus hence the system architecture and their games announced.

The PS4 is a step away from the Wii. I'm not denying there will be elements that appeal to casuals and there WILL be casual games but I really don't see how Sony have suddenly became Angry Birds Co. - I'm failing to see how you've got that angle?

Mahonay

Banned
"CasualStation". You guys are funny. Consoles are more casual by their nature. This is not a new development. Some consoles just leaned harder in that direction than others, like the Wii. The PS4, more than anything, looks very accessible. Is that not the point of a gaming console? PC gaming exists for those looking for pure "core" experiences. It's always been that way.

danwarb

We already ''know'' it has 8GB ram. I think the biggest issue is that it most likely will reserve more ram to the OS and stuff and has less available for games. That and it is DDR3 and not GDDR5.

CPU will apparently be the same and GPU is comparable enough. Some say that it is not possible but I hope they can bump up the ram. If I am not completely mistaken the difference between rumoured Durango GPU and PS4 GPU is much more trivial than the difference of 7GB DDR5 for games vs 6GB DDR3 (just a guess/example).

You are completely mistaken because the Xbox rumoured spec included 32mb esram, so both GPUs see comparable bandwidth. The stronger GPU in PS4 is a far more (the only) significant difference. And less RAM overall might become one later on. If all is true.

Stick 8GB GDDR5 in that Xbox at the expense of its DDR3/esram and it'd make little difference overall. Switching GPUs would make a difference.

It better be as powerful as the PS4 hardware wise or they can count me out as using it as my main console next gen.

Maybe they will surprise me and have 8GB of ram like the PS4 and a comparable GPU/CPU.

It will not matter, since devs will most likely have multi platform games looking the same on each system.

Hedon

Banned
It was a marketing and PR event yes but if it (The console) was designed for the casuals then why not use the event as a marketing and PR event for that much bigger audience? It would make no sense for Sony to spend all their marketing for the (almost) guaranteed purchases of the 'hardcore gamer' when they could spend time and money convincing the casual audience... the audience that needs convincing.

Nobody outside of the core audience knows about, would watch or even cares about a Playstation PR event. It would be a huge waste of money for Sony.

'Assuming' the eyetoy is included - I'm talking about what we KNOW and what others outside of Sony (Mark Rein etc.) have told us whereas you are just speculating there. The default controller is the Dualshock 4 - not the Move. The Dualshock touch pad is different to a tablet... it's an additional element added onto the standard control method. It looks as though more 'core' games is their focus hence the system architecture and their games announced.

I guess we will just agree to disagree here.

The PS4 is a step away from the Wii. I'm not denying there will be elements that appeal to casuals and there WILL be casual games but I really don't see how Sony have suddenly became Angry Birds Co. - I'm failing to see how you've got that angle?

I am failing how you don't see the new casual focus with all their attention to motion devices, new attention to media outside of gaming and their current direction with the PS3.

You are completely mistaken because the Xbox rumoured spec included 32mb esram, so both GPUs see comparable bandwidth. The stronger GPU in PS4 is a far more (the only) significant difference. And less RAM overall might become one later on. If all is true.

Stick 8GB GDDR5 in that Xbox at the expense of its DDR3/esram and it'd make little difference overall. Switching GPUs would make a difference.

I'll take your word for it, I am not that tech savvy. However in my post I was more conserned about the ram amount available for games. Then again there has been some debate even for that. Let's say a ''nightmare'' scenario happens and it will be 5gb ram vs 7gb ram for games. They are still definately comparable but it would be a 2gb difference and that has to count for something. That said I am not ready to 100% believe Durango would use 3gigs for OS ect.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
can someone explain the god damn move engines to me?
They help make sure that the RAM works closer to full speed at all times. They sort data so it's easier to unpack it once it's needed. This will help prevent the system from having an extra bandwidth bottleneck.

BigDug13

It will not matter, since devs will most likely have multi platform games looking the same on each system.

That only happened this time because the capabilities of the 360 and PS3 were really close to each other. But back in the PS2 and Xbox days, the Xbox versions of games did have graphical tweaks that were better looking than the PS2 counterpart, as well as high def capability for many games which PS2 did not offer.

If the capabilities of these two systems are roughly the same, then yeah it will happen again. But if the capabilities of one of the systems is substantially higher than the other, it will get better looking versions of those games.

Since the games are being designed for PC parts across all platforms now, and PC ports are already equipped with multiple video options to take advantage of improved hardware, there's no reason why the beefier system won't end up with more attractive graphics.

And even if the graphics end up exactly the same across the two platforms, the more powerful system will still be subject to less graphical artifacts and framerate slowdowns during high game activity.

Top Bottom