• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft dev: Xbox 720 "aligned with what Sony announced"

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Damn MS has
everyone.gif
wondering lol

hwalker84

Wonder how the specs war will play out if MS bumped the next box up to 16GB of DDR3 but still has a weaker gpu and slower ram?

Most likely it will. It assigns and tracks the controller, so Um yeah.

I believe what they said is the controllers are assigned colors by the console at startup, and then if the eye is present it can coordinate which controller is in which part of the room for splitscreen modes etc.

IF true then lol. Much weaker GPU, same CPU but with more resources reserved for bloated OS and slower ram.

MS is really making an effort...

3/26/2012

EDIT: There are some "insiders" rumors about less memory reservation (<3GB).

Anyway, we don't know the PS4 memory reservation.

I believe what they said is the controllers are assigned colors by the console at startup, and then if the eye is present it can coordinate which controller is in which part of the room for splitscreen modes etc.

Can you word that a bit better? Are you saying that each controller will have different color LED lights assigned by the console?

If their new controller fucks up my PC ports...

MS seems to care a lot about the PC/controller deal, so I doubt they'll bring any harm to it.

Can you word that a bit better? Are you saying that each controller will have different color LED lights assigned by the console?

Whereas current dual shocks on PS3 get numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 as they start up, the new ones will have colors assigned to them instead of a number. The Eye can then interact with them. They work independently of Eye though (if I'm understanding them correctly), but can also work directly in conjunction with it.

GavinGT

Banned
100 million Wii's sold and look where that is now, whats your point?

Nintendo stopped making games for it is what happened. If there was still compelling Kinect software coming out regularly, people would still be playing it. A Kinect in every box will likely solve this problem next gen.

ThaGuy

I dont know if I should be happy or not. I hope Microsoft makes some new ip's I would be interested in. If not, I might lean towards sony this gen.

TheLawyer

Neo Member
I've enjoyed my 360 considerably this gen and it has got far more playtime than my PS3 (until recently that is what with PS+), but the more I think about the entire ecosystem and general ethos Microsoft seems to be gravitating toward in terms of their platforms the more apprehensive I become about the console. I have no doubt that they'll impress and deliver to core gamers in many respects but there are so many substantial areas where focus is being put on (such as Kinect and the abundance of 'social' features that are being espoused) that don't particularly enthuse me.

GavinGT

Banned

OK, that's a damn cool feature. I'm guessing this was mentioned in some post-Playstation Conference interview?

GavinGT

Banned
I guess we can now raise the expectation from 1.2TF to something closer to 2TF.

It'd be crazy for Microsoft to raise their specs in response to Sony. Sony come out early and announced some expensive hardware, so Microsoft has the opportunity to position themselves as the more affordable option. This is exactly where they want to be.

Ardenyal

It'd be crazy for Microsoft to raise their specs in response to Sony. Sony come out early and announced some expensive hardware, so Microsoft has the opportunity to position themselves as the more affordable option. This is exactly where they want to be.

That is not 'aligned with what Sony announced' though.

GavinGT

Banned
That is not 'aligned with what Sony announced' though.

It's in the same ballpark, specs wise. Games will look similar on both platforms. All else being equal, more people will opt for the cheaper console.

Besides, we don't know whether this Ubi guy was even talking about specs. He specifically mentioned features.

Mrbob

I guess we can now raise the expectation from 1.2TF to something closer to 2TF.

In terms of social feature set. MS will offer their own brand of streaming too alongside other online features. Not sure how their new entertainment division factors in. I wouldn't be surprised if it around the same ball park in power.

Next gen is about having your own TwitchTV setup in your console.

ThaGuy

There will be 4 new IP's.
apparently

I remember that rumor. Hopefully its something new like that online rpg game they cancelled for xbox instead of another racing or fps game.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy them, I just want something fresh and new.

GavinGT

Banned
In terms of social feature set. MS will offer their own brand of streaming too alongside other online features. Not sure how their new entertainment division factors in. I wouldn't be surprised if it around the same ball park in power.

Next gen is about having your own TwitchTV setup in your console.

Yeah, Sony siding with Ustream seems like a dead giveaway that Microsoft had already snatched up Twitch.

Yeah, Sony siding with Ustream seems like a dead giveaway that Microsoft had already snatched up Twitch.

Sony said that it isn't exactly exclusively tied to Ustream, and that there will be different providers. something like that. youtube wants to do game streaming now too, so im betting they'll get in on that too considering they put the youtube recording stuff into their API early in the PS3's cycle.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This myth needs to stop being perpetuated.
It's just a hypothetical situation, not a myth being perpetuated. Nintendo can barely coast by on their console with first-party and it is commonly considered to have the best one of the big three.

Not for me, cause I won't buy it, unless there is an option to turn it off.

That's so silly. It's like getting mad because your console requires electricity to work. Kinect won't be selling you out to the FBI. Stop being so paranoid. Just because Kinect would be required, it doesn't mean your controller is obsolete and that you have to use Kinect 100% of the time..

Triple U

Banned
We don't know how expensive the PS4 will be though. And the rumors have MS skimping in GPU specs to include other hardware for Kinect, dvrs and whatnot. 720 could easily approach PS4 costs with less power.

Opiate

This myth needs to stop being perpetuated.

What myth? Nintendo has a considerably more powerful first party than Microsoft does. I don't mean you have to personally like Nintendo's first party better; if you don't, that's fine. I don't particularly like Nintendo's first party output either. Instead, I'm saying that your personal preferences (and mine) are anecdotal and irrelevant, and that on a larger scale Nintendo has a considerably more powerful and influential first party than Microsoft or Sony do. Halo is by a wide margin MS' biggest IP, and it would just barely crack Nintendo's top 10 biggest franchises.

So Nintendo without significant third party support is able to survive, if just barely. From this, we can reasonably assume that if Microsoft or Sony found themselves in a similar position, their predicament would be much worse because their first party software clearly does not have the same system selling potential that Nintendo's does.

gaming_noob

so microsoft ist saving money for huge 400 million $ marketing campaigns for the us release alone?

Try $1 Billion+, as per GopherD (maybe just a guess). If Kinect had a $500M campaign, the Durango logically would have more than that... 1B sounds about right.
Edit: oops, you said U.S. alone... 400M still seems low.

Thorgal

But will people on forums like this determine that by actual game output or by the differences in advertising and conference presentation points?

It seems like more here do the latter than the former.

its pretty clear on this forum what our main focus is and what we prefer: MOAR GAMES!!

to really know what is more populair in the current market of today (game console vs all in one media box) you should'nt ask us that question, you should ask the random guy in the street.

sangreal

Try $1 Billion+, as per GopherD (maybe just a guess). If Kinect had a $500M campaign, the Durango logically would have more than that... 1B sounds about right.
Edit: oops, you said U.S. alone... 400M still seems low.

I'll try not to derail another thread on it, but that is a pretty huge "if"

Hedon

Banned
uhh you do know they did say during the playstation meeting that they are primarily focusing on the core gamer .right ?

Adding a camera on a system ( that may or may not be required ) is not my defenition of going heavy casual .

What would you expect them to say at a core gamer conference? Casuals aren't watching the conference. They are appealing to the core gamers at the core conference.

Top Bottom