• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft dev: Xbox 720 "aligned with what Sony announced"

just make Kinect optional... can't explain it fully, but this is probably what will determine which system I buy, if Kinect is mandatory I'll go PS4. not because Sony won't have a camera, but because MS has forced Kinect down our throats for the past couple years, and their marketing/PR/douchebaggery the past couple years just makes me feel like if I ever own a Kinect then they win...
Every PS4 will bundle with PSeye,mostly likely

-Amon-

It's going to be connected. It's going to be social. It's going to be immersive. It's going to be interactive."

Reminds so much of "Developers ! Developers ! Developers !"

steve-ballmer.jpg

Oppo

I hope the TV/DVR functions aren't the big feature for this box.

I haven't had cable for years, I can't really use any of that. Maybe to record the occasional OTA show but that's about it.

Raven77

Man, I can't WAIT for Kinect 2!

Watching people flail around like they are drunk and high on PCP in front of hundreds of people "playing" a "game" that nobody will buy never gets old.

That being said, I'm giving MS the benefit of the doubt and hope they can actually show me they still care about traditional video games and traditional video gamers. I don't care about mobile gaming, I don't care about motion controls.

GavinGT

Banned
It's going to be connected. It's going to be social. It's going to be immersive. It's going to be interactive."

This describes basically every consumer electronics device being made these days.

Rumors suggest Xbox 720 will require a mandatory Kinect, have a new controller and could pack in a TV tuner to be sold on a subscription model.

Ummm. For what? Every paid broadcast technology in the united states is encrypted digitally, and using rabbit ears is a joke in all but the top 10 metro markets, due to gaps in channel lineup. The cable and sat companies aren't going to let microsoft get in on their piece of the pie. They're not giving up their $5-15 a month per box rental fees.

Won't be much of a focus though. Based on Microsoft's past actions, Kinect will be just as important as their AAA exclusives.
Nothing wrong with that unless every games will be Kinect control required(well if it's "required" for voice command then i don't mind)

Right, but it's not going to be required to be hooked up and configured.
Hooked up,start the console,ignore it
easy

probably true, but even if it's exactly the same thing with a different name I don't care, as long as its not a Kinect...
It can play motion games

Taiser

Yeah, they're also unconfirmed.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/2/

edge said:
We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Takuya

Banned
Ummm. For what? Every paid broadcast technology in the united states is encrypted digitally, and using rabbit ears is a joke in all but the top 10 metro markets, due to gaps in channel lineup. The cable and sat companies aren't going to let microsoft get in on their piece of the pie. They're not giving up their $5-15 a month per box rental fees.

Pretty much.

Next Xbox on par with PS4 wouldn't surprise me at all. What worries me is that damn mandatory Kinect stuff.

I don't know why this bothers people, just because its there doesn't mean games will have to use it. Nobody would be developing for the thing if they were enforcing that either. Including Kinect is no worse than Sony including the PS4 Eye, which is also going to happen to allow the light bars on the controllers to work.

sangreal

Ummm. For what? Every paid broadcast technology in the united states is encrypted digitally, and using rabbit ears is a joke in all but the top 10 metro markets, due to gaps in channel lineup. The cable and sat companies aren't going to let microsoft get in on their piece of the pie. They're not giving up their $5-15 a month per box rental fee's.

While I don't think MS will have a TV tuner (relying on iptv and HDMI-IN instead), cable companies in the US don't really have a say in it. They're required by the FCC to use external security (ie cable card) in all of their boxes, and to offer the cards to customers who want to use a 3rd party box. They'll happily charge you for a card instead of a STB

KiNeSiS

Banned
You know, with all this talk about how similar the two are at this point, the fact that Sony has not shown the box yet, and Microsoft holding off on theit reveal, I have to say I think it would be pretty damn funny if we saw Sony and MS on stage together at E3.

I know its probably unlikely, but the meltdowns would be fantastic.

I don't know if that would be awesome or terrible.
It would be Mega Awesome in another dimension where the unit is bc with all Playstations & Xboxs past.

graboids

I don't know why this bothers people, just because its there doesn't mean games will have to use it. Nobody would be developing for the thing if they were enforcing that either. Including Kinect is no worse than Sony including the PS4 Eye, which is also going to happen to allow the light bars on the controllers to work.

MS: "Everyone wants a Kinect!"

Me: "no, I don't"

MS: "Kinect is Awesome, Everyone wants a Kinect!"

MS: "Well, now its MANDATORY! You HAVE to buy one!"

x-Lundz-x

That does not matter, if they (MS) require me to had it hooked up and configured then that is a problem. I do not care if I never play a single game that uses it or does not. I DO NOT want to look at a Kinect device staring back at me anywhere in my gaming setup. This is the problem.

GavinGT

Banned

24 million shipped. Just because GAFers are vocally against it doesn't mean the mainstream isn't interested. Besides, in your previous post you made it clear that your opinion is not to be taken seriously.

sangreal

That does not matter, if they (MS) require me to had it hooked up and configured then that is a problem. I do not care if I never play a single game that uses it or does not. I DO NOT want to look at a Kinect device staring back at me anywhere in my gaming setup. This is the problem.

That sounds incredibly irrational. I get not wanting to use a Kinect -- I don't want to either -- but complaining about a piece of plastic "staring back at you?" Geeze, did the Wii sensor bar illicit these responses?

graboids

24 million shipped. Just because GAFers are vocally against it doesn't mean the mainstream isn't interested.

my point isn't wether or not the mainstream wants it, its that I don't want it, and because of that i don't want to pay for it or even have hooked up so I can play games that don't use it. Everyone in the world except for me could have one, i don't care...

my point is serious, but the reasoning behind it may be childish, I admit that... my distaste for MS's marketing and attitude over the past couple years is really what makes me react this way...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's getting all the indie games too?

Probably not. Pack it up guys.

I'm keeding

GavinGT

Banned
my point isn't wether or not the mainstream wants it, its that I don't want it, and because of that i don't want to pay for it or even have hooked up so I can play games that don't use it. Everyone in the world except for me could have one, i don't care...

I'm sorry. I read your post as if you were depicting a GAF mob chanting against Kinect. I'm really tired.

But still, saying you'd be fine with a PS Eye that's distinguishable from Kinect in name only is showcasing some serious bias.

reminds me of
microsofts-kinect-explained-by-bender.gif

for me this gif applies if they require always-online.

x-Lundz-x

That sounds incredibly irrational. I get not wanting to use a Kinect -- I don't want to either -- but complaining about a piece of plastic "staring back at you?" Geeze, did the Wii sensor bar illicit these responses?

It's more of the fact they are taking an optional device and making it mandatory. It's basically the same thing of you buying a 3D capable TV and the TV requiring you to watch everything in 3D and wear the 3D glasses even if you have no desire to do so.

And yes I keep a very clean gaming setup and I have no desire for extra clutter around or on top of my TV.

BTW, cool username. Take it you are a Wheel of Time fan?

as a continental European, they won't fool me twice. all that stuff hidden behind a paywall and not even available for most countries... yeah, right.

mocoworm

Point it at the floor. Problem solved. No more tears.

Bsigg12

The reactions with the mandatory setup of the Kinect are funny. Its there for developers and hell even voice functions for you, which have gotten superb in the last year. There is nothing that says you have to use it in every game.

The Durango is now being rumored to be about right on with the PS4 so people have to pick something out to justify attacking Microsoft. Its good stuff really.

Would those of you who are mortally opposed to having a camera in your game space feel the same way if the PS4 requires the PSEye to be setup? Its the only way to make the peripheral appealing to developers, if you include it but don't require it to at least be plugged in, it becomes pointless.

daveo42

Banned
24 million shipped. Just because GAFers are vocally against it doesn't mean the mainstream isn't interested. Besides, in your previous post you made it clear that your opinion is not to be taken seriously.

I think initially the gaming community was behind it as well until the announcement of lackluster games for it and Microsoft trying to get developers to shoehorn in "Kinect" features into their games.

The Wii came off exactly the same and sold gangbusters based off the new way to play games. How many games came out for the Wii that weren't generic shovelware or all but abandoned motion controls?

Boss Man

Well, the fact that it isn't anonymous lends a lot of credit. Also, Eurogamer has been pretty spot on haven't they?

Hindle

Banned
Being a dev I seriously doubt he could talk about the next Xbox if he knew any info. I think he's speculating.

foxdvd

It is not irrational at all. I have a kinect now, and I have it disabled. The reason is because the interface is crap. I hate how I move my hand on the dashboard and something pops up. I would rather use my controller to navigate, but if you have your kinect turned on it is always popping up. At least I have the option to turn it off.

If the next kinect is mandatory, is required to be on, and there are no options to turn it off, or put it in standby, there is no way in hell I am going to subject myself to that annoyance.

I think the main thing people fear from Kinect 2.0 is it will become the main force of navigation for their systems. When you hear stuff like "always on, kinect must be connected" of course we are going to think this.....

I will wait and see...

Top Bottom