• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft dev: Xbox 720 "aligned with what Sony announced"

gaming_noob

When Microsoft doesn't announce in May people will proclaim, "But it 'twas never official anyways! E3 is only a week or two away!"

What would be wrong with those replies? There's been no official statement from MS that they're announcing anything in May.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
April would have been more palatable but May isn't too far away! Bring it on because I'm super curious.
I'm more interested in seeing the announcement of the event. From announcement of PlayStation Meeting 2013 to reveal of PS4 there were twenty days. If it's in May (Paul Thurott suggested the 21st) then maybe we'll have to wait a few days more, but Microsoft's Fiscal Year 2013 Third Quarter Earnings Conference Call is on the 18th of April so maybe we can get a few tidbits from that (it's their remaining conference call before E3 anyway). It would be fun with some kind of ARG like OurColony for Xbox 360 in 2005. They have that xboxevent.com domain registered, so why not launch it with some kind of cryptic message or image puzzle for us to solve?

GavinGT

Banned
This means very little.

After all, there are not 100 million people sitting around playing on their Wii's.
Just because people own them, does not means they want them or use them.

Care to make an estimate as to how many of those Kinects were in bundles or gifts?

The amount they have sold is irrelevant to either its popularity, use, or want by mainstream people. I know several people who own them, but never asked for or wanted them. I know several people that did want one, and purchased it.

I know no one that uses one.

The concept of Kinect captured people's imaginations, however briefly. And it was a huge sales success by all accounts. Plenty of people are still receptive to the concept. I think it's quite possible that Microsoft could recapture that earlier excitement if they demonstrate improved tech capable of new and better things.

Alebrije

If there is going to be a Kinetic included on each 720 MS sure needs to deliver something beyond what Kinetic is today. The improvement /change must be so substancial that will become a SELL factor and not just an add on for fancy games.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Durango's CPU's memory controller doesn't have GDDR5 support.

Well AMD APU's support both DDR and GDDR and we don't know for certain what Durango is. I'm not saying they are using GDDR, but there is no technical limitation.

Dunlop

If there is going to be a Kinetic included on each 720 MS sure needs to deliver something beyond what Kinetic is today. The improvement /change must be so substancial that will become a SELL factor and not just an add on for fancy games.
Everyone's favorite motion sensing aside. I am expecting the voice recognition integration with the new OS to be outstanding

BibiMaghoo

The concept of Kinect captured people's imaginations, however briefly. And it was a huge sales success by all accounts. Plenty of people are still receptive to the concept. I think it's quite possible that Microsoft could recapture that excitement if they demonstrate improved tech capable of new and better things.

I agree with the first and second sentence here.

But what makes you think people are still positive about it in general? Surely that it was a popular concept only briefly suggests the excitement for it died out fairly quickly once people owned one.

I see fairly little positivity anywhere, for either the original Kinect or it's future incarnations. I'm certainly curious what gives you an impression otherwise.

Demon Ice

Banned
This is somehow even less thread-worthy than the Gamestop manager one. It's going to be interactive AND social, holy shit! Sony better watch out, Microsoft's got immersion on their side.

QaaQer

The concept of Kinect captured people's imaginations, however briefly. And it was a huge sales success by all accounts. Plenty of people are still receptive to the concept. I think it's quite possible that Microsoft could recapture that earlier excitement if they demonstrate improved tech capable of new and better things.

Not a chance. Fads are fads because of the novelty factor, and by definition, something cannot be novel if it already exists in some form. After the fad phase, a product has to stand on its own two feet. It was the same with motion controls.

Kinect2 or whatever its called may very well be a solid piece of tech that people like, but there won't be anywhere near the same level of excitement and anticipation.

The next hypeable gaming peripheral will be something like Occulus Rift, or as I call it Nausea Rift.

Dunlop

This is somehow even less thread-worthy than the Gamestop manager one. It's going to be interactive AND social, holy shit! Sony better watch out, Microsoft's got immersion on their side.

pretty sure it is aligned with what Sony announced that makes it threadworthy

That doesn't tell us much of anything either. The rumored Durango specs are currently aligned with the PS4 ones. They're weaker, but it's nowhere near something like a Wii to 360 gap. They will play the same games no problem.

netBuff

Sony was so foolish to reveal first Micro$oft has deep pockets to equal or surpass them easily.

If 720 can play 360 games I'm in. Fuck used games.

The bitter tears are going to be hilarious, but in the end it only makes them more rabid each time a Sony product fails to outsell the competition - and there's been quite a few in a row now. Sony's glory days are long gone and the idea that a huge percentage of the Xbox audience will jump ship while none will jump the other way is fucking ridiculous.

Microsoft and Sony are very close in terms of consoles sold, and Microsoft has had plenty of past and current failures. A "media focus" for a gaming console seems a very dangerous proposition to me in today's world of declining importance of cable (especially outside the US) and modern TVs that have all the important services built-in as well as plenty of cheap boxes being available that combine media functionality.

Acheteedo

Microsoft has definitely loosened the embargo. Between this and the Gamestop quote last night it's pretty obvious. It's nice that they don't have to pretend it doesn't exist any more.

It certainly seems this way, they're clearly feeling the burn from the early PS4 announcement.

GavinGT

Banned
Has anyone said xbox720 is going to be powerful or impressive?

I've heard it described as possessing tremendous strength and cat-like reflexes.

MS's E3 2006 conference thread only got 34 pages too. Sony's got 85. Nintendo got 79.

Not many MS fans in 2005-2006 I guess.

360 was already out. Sony and Nintendo were showing their upcoming systems. Also, Sony was busy shooting itself in the foot multiple times at that conference.

So it's going to be pretty much everything I'm not interested in, thought so.

See 'ya MS, was fun while it lasted, actually it was only fun from about 2001-2007, you know, when a games console was about..games.

It's been downhill at an accelerating rate of knots ever since.

Demon Ice

Banned

That's been known for months now. Similar CPU, similar but weaker GPU, same amount of RAM but a different type (DDR3 vs GDDR5).

What does "aligned" mean in terms of tech, exactly? Nothing. Meaningless fluff.

Klocker

That's been known for months now. Similar CPU, similar but weaker GPU, same amount of RAM but a different type (DDR3 vs GDDR5).

What does "aligned" mean in terms of tech, exactly? Nothing. Meaningless fluff.

true but realistically, on the level of mass market appeal... those small differences matter little since to most people the games will look the same

Games, services and execution.

Demon Ice

Banned
true but realistically, on the level of mass market appeal... those small differences matter little since to most people the games will look the same
Games, services and execution.

He probably made this statement to convince shareholders that porting between the two consoles wouldn't be a problem.

Exactly. Which is what everyone expected from the get-go. PS4 and X720 are competing for the same audience, and the WiiU is just off doing its own thing.

Dunlop

So it's going to be pretty much everything I'm not interested in, thought so.

See 'ya MS, was fun while it lasted, actually it was only fun from about 2001-2007, you know, when a games console was about..games.

It's been downhill at an accelerating rate of knots ever since.
You derived ask that from a PR fluff piece from Ubisoft? Gonna go out on a limb here and say Durango was never on your shopping list

cilonen

"It's going to be connected. It's going to be social. It's going to be immersive. It's going to be interactive."

Man, and I was hoping for non-connected and un-interactive - basically a black brick that's too heavy to pick up.

Alebrije

Sony was wise to announce PS4 before because from now the 720 will be compared to PS4..

" The 720 is interactive as PS4"

" The 720 has similar power than PS4"

"The 720 is aligned to PS4"

daveo42

Banned
He probably made this statement to convince shareholders that porting between the two consoles wouldn't be a problem.

Which will hopefully be the case this time around. Similar architectures and the ease of being able to port games would be nice this time around. Might help to curb some developer costs and development time.

Added bonus: no more flame wars over which system got the better 3rd party copy of a game and the screenshot comparison posts of this gen.

Alebrije

Which will hopefully be the case this time around. Similar architectures and the ease of being able to port games would be nice this time around. Might help to curb some developer costs and development time.

Added bonus: no more flame wars over which system got the better 3rd party copy of a game and the screenshot comparison posts of this gen.

Do not know , always will be people looking for the slightest difference between both consoles

Pojo_King

Neo Member
When I was at Pax East I attended a panel with famous composers. The composer for Fallout 3 and Fallout:NV was there. When asked what he was working on he said he couldn't talk about it now, but look forward to hearing about something on May 14th. It makes me think that we will see the unveil of Fallout 4 on that day, and I would be very surprised if that didn't conincide with MS's next system announcement. That's just my two cents though.

x-Lundz-x

When I was at Pax East I attended a panel with famous composers. The composer for Fallout 3 and Fallout:NV was there. When asked what he was working on he said he couldn't talk about it now, but look forward to hearing about something on May 14th. It makes me think that we will see the unveil of Fallout 4 on that day, and I would be very surprised if that didn't conincide with MS's next system announcement. That's just my two cents though.

My Precious....

Would be awesome if it ended up happening.

Orca

Might as well wait till E3...

I think announcing just prior to E3 and ending off with a promise of more in-depth info and hands-on time at E3 would do a lot to raise hype.

Why flood us with info at E3 when there's a ton of info from everyone else?

Top Bottom