• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft plans to grow revenue by 60% over the next 3 years. MP-centric games push.

2e952d9d_o.png

Wait, the new Ghost Recon is mp focused like The Division, The Crew or RS Siege?

:( :(

Good to see more MP focused games nowadays. Plenty of singleplayer games available that last for 5 hours or less for others who cant deal with it.

RK128

See a lack of Rayman in that picture.....so outside of South Park, not really interested in there upcoming line up :l.

Them focusing more on MP games isn't amazing news to me, as I'm not a be MP guy, but its good they are going to do something they think might be successful.

Rainbow Six seems to have a good amount of content out of the box, so I can't really fault the game for much at all, so happy its doing well enough :).

And Ghost Recon & The Division have significant single player modes (story mode), in addition too Watch Dogs (single player IP) getting a new game this year; they haven't forgotten about the single player gamer.

Its nice they are talking about this and hopeful they ensure MP games have a good amount of content at launch.

iNvid02

http://i.share.pho.to/2e952d9d_o.png
Wait, the new Ghost Recon is mp focused like The Division, The Crew or RS Siege?

:( :([/QUOTE]

how much cocaine did you do when you watched the reveal trailer :p

but like most of these games there still appears to be a way to fall back on AI

Crackbone

Good to see more MP focused games nowadays. Plenty of singleplayer games available that last for 5 hours or less for others who cant deal with it.

Ya know I'm with you on this. I enjoy single player experiences but the vast majority of my gaming time I'm all about multiplayer.

Sometimes coming to GAF, I feel like I must be the only middle aged dude that enjoys games that have some longevity and aren't finished in a few hours. The more multiplayer focused titles the better.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
MP-centric games push huh? Thanks for letting me know so I can invest that money towards better SP-centric games I'd rather play.

Hari Seldon

As long as they don't go off and do something like put in forced online into a single player city builder or destroy the biggest PC franchise of all time by making it tablet quality.

Sometimes coming to GAF, I feel like I must be the only middle aged dude that enjoys games that have some longevity and aren't finished in a few hours. The more multiplayer focused titles the better.
Nothing wrong with enjoying a multiplayer focus but you don't need multiplayer to have longevity. There are plenty of single player games you can enjoy hundreds of hours in.

And Ubisoft, please don't fuck up Wildlands.

Crackbone

Nothing wrong with enjoying a multiplayer focus but you don't need multiplayer to have longevity. There are plenty of single player games you can enjoy hundreds of hours in.

Agreed but those games are few and far between. I'm enjoying xcom 2 right now and will be for countless hours but there are only a few developers that can pull that off for me(Firaxis being one).

95% of the time if it's not multiplayer enabled or focused it'll go straight to my backlog after a few hours never to be touched again.

Saty

Did i miss anything why Ubi thinks For Honor is a shoe-in for being one of those leading franchises? We basically seen almost nothing of the game and it's quite audacious of Ubi to act its success is forgone conclusions. It's probably their most-likely game to fail.

Theres nothing wrong with this in general, but launching so many multiplayer games so close to each other is the bigger problem imo. Too much will split up userbases causing some games to die much quicker. Not to mention it sounds like it'll be based heavily on microtransactions. Also depends on if they add content for free and for how long.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. If WD2 goes this way as well I'll simply skip it.
Altho I did love WD1 hacking other people games.

theecakee

Did i miss anything why Ubi thinks For Honor is a shoe-in for being one of those leading franchises? We basically seen almost nothing of the game and it's quite audacious of Ubi to act its success is forgone conclusions. It's probably their most-likely game to fail.

I mean we can be the judge of that ultimately, but its bad business to go to a investor event with low confidence idea of "yeah idk this game may or may not be that big of a success...but we're throwing a bunch of money at it!"

Setsuna

For Honor will succeed simply because its a fun and complex game.

New IP Mp focused releasing in 2017? Color me intrigued

Between Siege, the Division and 4H(what we know about it) i'm actually starting to reconsider Ubi

prudislav

That's a push alright. Pushing me away from their games.
pretty much , he push towards MP-oriented games, microtransaction and online.only SP with pseudosocial features goes directly against my enjoyment of their games
... kinda weird to see all those companies who recently implemented denuvo protection on PC still heavily pushing towards online-only future (feels kinda like waste of money) :-/

TheSecondLetter

Neo Member
Their First Volley in the War to make Games As Service the new AAA. I think I'm done with AAA video games once (if) that becomes a reality. I just pray that games like The Witcher 3 have shown publishers that you can still make profitable, complete experiences without forcing players to have a subscription service with every game.

Matter-of-fact, publishers might be better off just charging a monthly or yearly fee to have access to their games--like Netflix--only for games. Then we can cease and desist with all the DLC, Season Passes and other trivium that are keeping them profitable.

StereoVsn

Np man I understand. Even in UK its legs have been great. Been in the top 10 software SKU's every week since launch. Really impressive.

Also people shouldn't think Ubi is abandoning single player. Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry Primal, For Honor, Ghost Recon, the next Assassin's Creed influenced by The Witcher 3, all have extensive single player. Its just Ubi is also going to invest a lot more heavily into their connected online multiplayer stuff as well going forward

As long as they still have Single Player titles and keep producing stuff like Child of Light or Blood Dragon, I am good. I am quite interested in Watch Dogs 2 (hopefully they took notes of the major issues) and more RPG take on Assassin's Creed. AC4, Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon, Child of Light were quite good so it's alright.

old

The real money isn't in "fire-and-forget" mp games like Ghost Recon (DLC or not). The real money is in "games-as-a-service" mp games like League of Legends, DOTA2, and Hearthstone.

QaaQer

So more online multiplayer shooters, cuz we don't have enough of those.

My bet is on Blizzard + Activision winning this fight.

prudislav

So more online multiplayer shooters, cuz we don't have enough of those.

My bet is on Blizzard + Activision winning this fight.
Wonder when will this FAD end... i dont think there is enough mp-oriented gamers to keep all these "MP-oriented games with little to no SP part" alive

Wonder when will this FAD end... i dont think there is enough mp-oriented gamers to keep all these "MP-oriented games with little to no SP part" alive
Man you guys are so out of touch with the outside world sometimes. If anything I'm more worried about if there are enough single player gamers

Can someone explain what I'm missing here?

This graphic has Assassin's Creed as one of the big releases in FY2015 and FY2016, but no Assassin's Creed in FY2017. Obviously, the FY2015 release would be Syndicate, as it fits that timeframe. What would the FY2016 release be? Does this mean Empire is coming in the first quarter of 2017? I'm pretty sure FY2016 ends in March or April of 2017.

EDIT: Or, wait. I think I figured it out. I think I have the fiscal years staggered forward a year. Judging from the other titles in the graphic, the FY2015 release would be Unity, and the FY2016 release would be Syndicate. Meaning Empire would be arriving in the first half of FY2018, which would be the back half of calendar year 2017. I think that's right...?

Isn't there an upper limit as to the maximum size the multiplayer game market can support. Even the best multiplayer game is dependent on its community to be enjoyable, and people can only play a limited number of games at a time. Ubisoft making its games more multiplayer centric is going to make their success far more volatile. Every game they release will have to pull players from existing hit multiplayer games in order to be successful.

Top Bottom