• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft plans to grow revenue by 60% over the next 3 years. MP-centric games push.

Not just about base content but being able to deliver more content/massive updates based on feedback over the course of a year in a relatively timely fashion.

That's an excellent point as well, ubisoft and other companies should learn the problem with Destiny where if there's not enough new content and things to do the player base will get bored and start to leave until the next content update comes. Even then they may lose players in that time.

hawk2025

Being more single-player centric, I wish I had supported AC Syndicate last year after hearing how it was surprisingly good.

Buying Far Cry next week.

A bit of a bummer to hear of a MP focus, but the writing's on the wall, really.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That's an excellent point as well, ubisoft and other companies should learn the problem with Destiny where if there's not enough new content and things to do the player base will get bored and start to leave until the next content update comes. Even then they may lose players in that time.
That's the plan. Luckily they aren't constrained by an incredibly unintuitive engine like Bungie unfortunately is.

I don't see why we can't have both. Why this insistence on having co-op / competitive in everything, as opposed to having some games focus on multi player and some on single player?
Game development is expensive, and player retention has shown to have produce large amount of revenue in the long term.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking multi-player games. Not everyone wants to play online with other people. Damn Ubisoft. They better not fuck up Wildlands!!!

Anno

I'm all in on ever-growing multiplayer experiences these days, so I hope they do it well. Siege seems to get pretty high praise from everyone I talk to. Wish it was my kinda game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Bring back Assassin's Creed competitive multiplayer and I'll be, like, super engaged with the brand again though.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind them bringing that back. Far more engaging than the co-op they attempted.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Driven by multiplayer. Guess I'm out. :-(

Though, to be fair, I had a blast with Siege despite generally failing to enjoy MP games these days.

zelas

Makes perfect sense for The Division and games like it. I wish Bungie had this foresight. Don't see how effective this can be for a game like Siege though.

Fucking multi-player games. Not everyone wants to play online with other people. Damn Ubisoft. They better not fuck up Wildlands!!!
Plnety of single player games in the market for you to choose from.

Karu

Always on for some great multiplayer game. Currently playing Watch_Dogs, which has a cleverand first and foremost super tense MP-integration. Sadly never tried the AC-MP.

Tagg9

Before I can make a decision on whether this is good or not, I'll need to see how The Division turns out.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I feel the same when I read your PR posts about every Ubisoft game you never even played.
Providing rational discussion backed by facts and not hoping that a huge company will fail at some point is what counts as cringe worthy PR now? Oh and do tell me more about games that i've supposedly never played according to you. Please be specific, i'll wait.

Haven't really played siege since the beta but it's good to know it's getting free updates like multiplayer maps, even halo 5 is benefitting from this model as well.
How is Siege by the way, does it hold up well?
Probably the most hardcore shooter on these consoles right atm. I'd check the OT.

That's a push alright. Pushing me away from their games.

Yup, I like Ubisoft a lot because of their SP games, I'm also one those guys who buy AC every year and cannot wait for the next Far Cry next month. But honestly this move by Ubisoft was expected, as their big franchises are SP focused.

If they mean adding co-op to their games, then fine. Far Cry 4 had co-op and whatnot, but was still very enjoyable as a SP experience.
Hopefully this doesn't mean the next AC game will be a multiplayer only thing or something like that. Not every game needs multiplayer and co-op integration.

As a SP only gamer, I would be lying if I said this trend wouldn't worry me.

Vashetti

Banned
zffcu.jpg

Dreavus

Always on for some great multiplayer game. Currently playing Watch_Dogs, which has a cleverand first and foremost super tense MP-integration. Sadly never tried the AC-MP.

I'm on the other end; never played Watch Dogs, but it sounds like a really cool implementation.

If you own Black Flag, it is still somewhat active on account of being the most recent game with competitive multiplayer. You should be able to find a few matches to try it out if you wanted to.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The E-Sports push is killing my enthusiast for gaming faster than F2P Skinner boxes and Social gaming put together....

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm hyped about For Honor and The Division, but I really don't want the majority of AAA games to be multiplayer

Providing rational discussion backed by facts and not hoping that a huge company will fail at some point is what counts as cringe worthy PR now? Oh and do tell me more about games that i've supposedly never played according to you. Please be specific, i'll wait.

Probably the most hardcore shooter on these consoles right atm. I'd check the OT.

In will give it a read!

See this is news to me, last I read about it was on GAF about how it only sold 75k in the UK.
My bad.

Yeah, I remember that article--it was written just a few weeks into December and was "Rainbow Six: Siege isn't selling well and it deserves better".

NPD cleared everything up though.

So down for siege 2

Uuuuugh, this.

How is Siege by the way, does it hold up well?

Favorite MP of this gen, easily.

Nokterian

The little bit we've seen of For Honor looks damn awesome so I wonder how that will turn out.

Bring back Assassin's Creed competitive multiplayer and I'll be, like, super engaged with the brand again though.

AC MP i played that most in Brotherhood to me one of the most fun i had and it was new and fresh and totally different.

Breakbeat

Banned
Ubi isn't exactly known for their MP... other than Tom Clancy stuff (good on the newest RS for doing surprisingly well!). I have a feeling this won't produce the outcome they desire.

jelly

I don't mind games having multiplayer but good single player games are still what I want and multiplayer these days are infested with stuff I don't like, nothing is simple fun anymore, it's all unlocks, cards, micro transactions, grind. I just want to go online, pick a gametype and play, not worry about my character and drops of content like some idiot punching a piñata.

sphinx

the piano man
The publisher said it is transforming its traditional organization into a live operations model so that it can deliver the sort of multi-year service that drives engagement, and is also making "a strong push on multiplayer-centric games."

ScVDGbI.gif

DrWong

I like the little references (as a note, and a netagive reference in the context of the text) to the old Vivendi Games division ^^

Lot of things, I think, are stated here with Bolloré in mind. The whole meeting in fact.

Petrae

That's a push alright. Pushing me away from their games.

Bingo.

But good luck with that multiplayer focus. It's only a matter of time before more publishers shove multiplayer down consumers' throats as THE way to play so much that it just becomes accepted.

Top Bottom