• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft promise a Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends demo.

mirror's edge had an exclusive dlc map on the ps3 version too.

sony's not great, and nintendo is clueless, but microsoft actually kinda sucks. save us, valve.

The T&C specifies "on disc" content, hence the DLC thing.

Despite Nintendo's general inability to properly comprehend modern account systems etc, I love their eShop model, it's very developer / publisher friendly. Should Sony and Valve fail, Nintendo struggle and MS get increasingly drunk from the cup of "FUCK YOU, ARTISTS!" then Apple can step in and look like the most altruistic platform holder of all time in the console space with a more regulated version of the App Store-esque model, followed by the despair of generations lasting a maximum of four years, with iterative updates every 10-12 months (I'm thinking locked 'core' hardware, but WAIT! This year's model is half the size and has been precision engineered to make the current one look like a piece of shit!) followed by more eco-system convergence and the $599 being explained as an unbelievable price for a "multi-year investment" annnnd....

......then someone else joins in and a new cycle begins. Where will allegiances lie?

Porcile

They've known for years they can't trust western companies. That's why their main cooperation efforts are in Japan. Quality wise, the DS and the Wii were already Japan heavy.

I'm sure whatever special future treatment Ubi were getting from Nintendo such as development expertise, and an assisted marketing push may now have evaporated.

And people wonder why Nintendo have historically avoided make these sorts of partnerships with Western third parties?

zigg

Nah. The devs already confirmed that's one of the reasons the Wii U version is still the "definite" version. 360/PS3 users will probably just get cut on those 20% optional Murphy levels, the artwork they released with the announcement didn't have him on it.
I see, thanks. I guess I'm still a little wary, but this helps.

I am perplexed what Ubi believes they stand to gain delaying the Wii version. Why would you take a finished game on a system with a software starved userbase and move its release up half a year against all sorts of heavy hitters in Q3/Q4? Why not just release the damn thing and port it later? Hell, people might have actually double dipped if they did it that way. This demo business is a pathetic and desperate response to the obvious backlash. Give me a fucking break. Worst consolation ever.

mclem

I'm sure whatever special future treatment Ubi were getting from Nintendo such as development expertise, and an assisted marketing push may now have evaporated.

They've already had quite a lot of focus and promotion *prior* to now, of course, and it's not exactly possible to revoke that in light of these events.

This demo business is a pathetic and desperate response to the obvious backlash. Give me a fucking break. Worst consolation ever.

Given that the first demo was a while back, now, I am wondering if the second demo was *always going to happen* anyway; originally intended as an extra bit of promotion in the run up to release.

Hermii

It was pretty funny watching how every single post on Ubis facebook page was spammed by Rayman comments.

That was untill I realized it was the same 2 or 3 guys writing on most of the posts :(.

Ashler

Exclusive demo, what a joke. Rather, a small chunk of the already finished game that could not be made available on both the Xbox360 and PS3 beause they're still in development/port stage.

That kind of exclusive demo, right?

This would all have been alot easier too, if the announcement had been the same, but they had moved the date to, say, May. The fact the game is done but they can't port in 3 months is what makes it so much more brutal. The delay would still be poor but at least it would still be on this side of summer.

GC|Simon

Well, feel free to copy and paste this wherever you go! Here's an updated one...

Contact Information To Voice Your Opinion:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
United States:
Michael Beadle
PR Associate Director
michael.beadle@ubisoft.com
WorldWide HQ:
Michael Burk
Corporate Communications Manager
michael.burk@ubisoft.com
Find your local contact here: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-us/p...s_contact.aspx
The Petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/ubis...-for-the-wii-u
Twitter: #FreeRayman
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ubisoft
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ubisoft/videos?query=rayman+legends
MiiVerse: UPlay Community

Why just use "your local contact"? Inform all of them:
yves.guillemot@ubisoft.com; michael.beadle@ubisoft.com; michael.burk@ubisoft.com; norman.habakuck@ubisoft.com; emmanuel.carre@ubisoft.com; tiphaine.locqueneux@ubisoft.com; lidia.rumley@ubisoft.com; stefano.petrullo@ubisoft.com; chris.norris@ubisoft.com; marieclaude.bernard@ubisoft.com; marie-michelle.crevier@ubisoft.com; steven.ross@ubisoft.com; Louis-etienne.beaupre@ubisoft.com; verena.vlajo@ubisoft.com; verena.vlajo@ubisoft.com; marcel.keij@ubisoft.com; silvia.velicu@ubisoft.com; yu.hua@ubisoft.com; kelly.Wong@ubisoft.com; cindy.shih@ubisoft.com; david.antell@ubisoft.com; alberto.ziello@ubisoft.com; frederic.gallemand@ubisoft.com; grzegorz.szabla@ubisoft.com; cristian.tanase@ubisoft.com; oana-ileana.tanislav@ubisoft.com; iris.choi@ubisoft.com; wayne.wong@ubisoft.com; lucia.guzman@ubisoft.com; gil.grandjean@ubisoft.com;

Just writing my mail ^-^

I would kill to learn about Nintendo's reaction. I mean they have to be really pissed off, Wii U needed this game NOW

I heard that the Zombi U bundle was confirmed for North America not long afterwards.

I don't think the problem for Nintendo fans is the loss of exclusivity, it's something much worse, much deeper than that. But nobody in the gaming and tech press has cared to call out Ubisoft (or Tecmo, regarding Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge) on their gross double standards towards owners and fans of Nintendo consoles. Ditto many other cross-platform houses. It appears that rushing to port to PS360 AND delaying a finished Nintendo game is perfectly alright and acceptable, but they have an encyclopaedia of excuses to snub Nintendo consoles. I don't hear them announcing Watch Dogs or DOA5 (already cross-platform games, not exclusives) for the Wii U in return. While I personally don't care much for those titles, I'm aware that there are plenty of fans who would love to play it on their console of choice - Ask these houses why, and they'll most probably have bullshit excuses about why they won't do it (they CAN do it). Now, the 'cost of porting' excuse is out of the window - In this case, they're porting to ONE console, instead of TWO, and the principle is the same - you're still making it available to a wider userbase. If they would do it, they wouldn't delay the PS360 versions to ensure that the Wii U one is released at the same time as the others - to illustrate that point, see Assassin's Creed 3. I wouldn't have thought it would hurt PS360 owners to wait all of one month for release with the Wii U version of a cross-platform game, but perhaps that's not the case.

Lynd7

I heard that the Zombi U bundle was confirmed for North America not long afterwards.

I don't think the problem for Nintendo fans is the loss of exclusivity, it's something much worse, much deeper than that. But nobody in the gaming and tech press has cared to call out Ubisoft (or Tecmo, regarding Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge) on their gross double standards towards owners and fans of Nintendo consoles. Ditto many other cross-platform houses. It appears that rushing to port to PS360 AND delaying a finished Nintendo game is perfectly alright and acceptable, but they have an encyclopaedia of excuses to snub Nintendo consoles. I don't hear them announcing Watch Dogs or DOA5 (already cross-platform games, not exclusives) for the Wii U in return. While I personally don't care much for those titles, I'm aware that there are plenty of fans who would love to play it on their console of choice - Ask these houses why, and they'll most probably have bullshit excuses about why they won't do it (they CAN do it). Now, the 'cost of porting' excuse is out of the window - In this case, they're porting to ONE console, instead of TWO, and the principle is the same - you're still making it available to a wider userbase. If they would do it, they wouldn't delay the PS360 versions to ensure that the Wii U one is released at the same time as the others - to illustrate that point, see Assassin's Creed 3. I wouldn't have thought it would hurt PS360 owners to wait all of one month for release with the Wii U version of a cross-platform game, but perhaps that's not the case.

Exactly, most multi platform gaming sites treat these Nintendo issues as a joke and don't really care.

Mojojo

They've already had quite a lot of focus and promotion *prior* to now, of course, and it's not exactly possible to revoke that in light of these events.

Given that the first demo was a while back, now, I am wondering if the second demo was *always going to happen* anyway; originally intended as an extra bit of promotion in the run up to release.

Take it with an grain of salt, but according to a french website the new demo is a timed exclusive and will be the same ps3 and xbox360 owners will get during summer to promote the game...
timed exclusive demo, that would be a first ...

prag16

Banned
I am perplexed what Ubi believes they stand to gain delaying the Wii version. Why would you take a finished game on a system with a software starved userbase and move its release up half a year against all sorts of heavy hitters in Q3/Q4? Why not just release the damn thing and port it later? Hell, people might have actually double dipped if they did it that way. This demo business is a pathetic and desperate response to the obvious backlash. Give me a fucking break. Worst consolation ever.

They're essentially COMPLETELY CRIPPLING the Wii U version's sales so that the PS360 versions can sell *slightly* better.

Will this end up paying off for them? Who knows, but I doubt it considering the competition they'll be facing this fall. Right now they'd be the only game in town on Wii U.

Pyronite

They're essentially COMPLETELY CRIPPLING the Wii U version's sales so that the PS360 versions can sell *slightly* better.

Will this end up paying off for them? Who knows, but I doubt it considering the competition they'll be facing this fall. Right now they'd be the only game in town on Wii U.

What reason do you think they would have for going multiplatform beyond sales?

Spite?

Even my Grandmother knows that the game will be multiplatform but delaying a finished game weeks before release is frustrating, I wouldn't have any problem if it was released as a multiplatform in February.

Nairume

Banned

Spite?
This isn't about the multiplat issue though.

It's about delaying the release of the already completed WiiU version that was supposed to be released in two weeks.

I'm surprised none of these gaming sites such as Eurogamer and IGN have started to get shareholders' feedback from all of this bad publicity during these last couple of days, especially since the U Play thingummybob is now sitting in the WaraWara Plaza.

Shareholders really can't be too impressed with this, can they..? :eek:/

The only way they can turn this situation around is to release the U SKU when they originally said they would. If all of these Wii U owners follow through with their Ubisoft boycotts they could be looking at losing some serious revenue. :Oo

This isn't about the multiplat issue though.

It's about delaying the release of the already completed WiiU version that was supposed to be released in two weeks.

It amazes me that there are still people playing the "Nintendo fans just angry it's multiplat, lololol" angle.

I don't care if this game was multiplat to begin with, if the game was delayed 2 weeks before release just so they could release a PC version or some shit, I would be pissed.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It amazes me that there are still people playing the "Nintendo fans just angry it's multiplat, lololol" angle.

I don't care if this game was multiplat to begin with, if the game was delayed 2 weeks before release just so they could release a PC version or some shit, I would be pissed.

Exactly. The fallout isn't that the game is out on multiplat. It's the fact that the Wii U version is finished and being delayed for months for no reason whatsoever. Rayman Legends was the standout Wii U third party game in an otherwise barren launch - it still is the only playable demo on the Wii U demo kiosks, and it was the first demo on the eShop.

Then, add to the fact that Nintendo traditionally receives most third party ports last - and nobody has ever delayed PS360 titles so that they can be released at the same time as the Nintendo versions and you have the perfect storm.

kunonabi

Is anyone else a little concerned they may change the Wii-U-exclusive parts of the game in order to better fit the multiplat mold?

I am. Those segments have already been toned down as it is and I'm sure that is just going to get worse with another 7 months.

prag16

Banned

Spite?

Totally missing the point.

Nobody cares about it going multiplat. Of course they'll get more sales that way.

It's the delay and the delay only. For a FINISHED game.

Despite the salty people the install base will be larger and I fully expect this to help the Wii U sales.

I would never not buy a game out of spite. If the game is worth playing, it's worth playing. And still the definitive version even. I rank all this outrage up there with Call of Duty boycott noise.

Meesh

Is it me or is their Facebook down??
Edit: my bad, it wouldn't let me load, I thought maybe they pulled the plug lol

Top Bottom