• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UE4 Tech Demo: "Unreal Paris Virtual Tour" aka most incredible thing I've ever seen

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I don't understand why people get so goo goo gaa gaa over stuff like this.

The first version of the Cry Engine was pulling this off years ago. It's a simplistic, narrow fly-through. There's nothing happening on screen, no physics, no AI, barely any effects, nothing.

Of course it's going to look that good. I want to see something actually happening with those visuals.

Hedrush

Colour me unimpressed. Yes it's photo realistic, and it's nice and clean and all, but it didn't blow me away. Surely they could've come up with a better demo than that to show off their new engine. The sorcerer PS4 demo was far better than anything in that video.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stunning really what real time graphics could look like on console given this can run on a 660 GTX.

Lots more to get out of the PS4 that's for sure.

SeanTSC

If it was completely static like that, sure. Actual games have dozens of other systems going on though. Physics, particles, AI, characters/NPCs in the environment, number of objects onscreen, other dynamic systems, etc. Factor all of that in and you won't see something looking exactly like this demo just yet. I think Quantic Dream may be able to get close to it. But things like shooters? I don't think so...

Go open world? Not a chance in hell.

Hrm, how about a Resident Evil 1 style game with just small areas like the Mansion/Residence/Lab?

At what point will we see this engine used on the PS4 and XBO? I feel like we have only just barely scratched the surface with what these two consoles can do.

I agree with that, but considering how often people here e.g. compare the graphics of a game with varaible ToD with a fixed one, or a linear cinematic game with an open world one, I always feel compelled to point out just how much these constraints (or the lack of them) affect performance.

Personally, what impressed me most about this is the quality of the materials. The metal and fabric surfaces are almost photorealistic, and these are generally hard to get right (especially pre-PBR of course).

The way the lighting is hitting some materials is off. Specifically fabrics. It's minor but it was the first thing I noticed.

nemisis0

That was just breathtaking now just combine it with VR at full and you will be living in your own virtual house.

Alienous

The best part is how each window has the same curtain, with the exact same mesh. Ugh, an attention to detail is everything with these kinds of demonstrations.

Majanew

Banned
Yeah, pretty sure PS4 would have no problems with that. It's an empty, static place with no AI, animations, physics.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Smoothing out the movement would have helped out quite a bit with the "feel" they're going for. The sudden starts are a bit jarring.

h#shdem0n

We were born too late to explore the world and too early to explore the galaxy, but god damn we'll be able to at least experience this level of VR before we die.

Well said. We will probably be fortunate enough to experience VR that makes this seem quaint.

AzaK

Umm was that meant to be impressive? Nothing moved, it looked completely dead and the reflections on the metal were rather bad, especially the floor vases.

The lighting and materials are great but I saw some hard edges on the silhouettes of the vase in the kitchen plus the camera doesn't zoom in on materials too closely (for example the plaster molding on the ceiling, the rug or other fabrics, which would likely show them to be perfectly smooth and unnatural). Besides which, first person gives me motion sickness.

ShogunX

So a guy makes a personal project in Unreal engine 4 just to show what can be achieved with the engine.......and yet people on GAF still criticise it.

Take it for what it is. A showcase.

eso76

Eh, just a fly by through a completely static and extremely simple environment.
Good GI with very few technical merits (being entirely prebaked) and nice materials and IQ, I'll give you that.

Not only you wouldn't need a ps5, a ps3 could probably output very similar results in a similarly limited scenario, minus the IQ.
Nothing remarkable about the tech here at all.
Duh

Nafai1123

Banned
Great textures and PBR, but I'm not really seeing anything that couldn't be done on PS4. The lighting looks great but it's all baked.

MAX PAYMENT

It looks high fidelity, but I don't think it looks amazing.

I agree. There's something about the ue4 stuff I've seen that still just doesn't look that real. I can't put my finger on what it is. I think the lighting still isn't completely lifelike or something.

decoy11

The demo looks good but I feel like the lighting isn't right. Hopefully when DX12 comes out it will help out with that. Its also very cool to see these realistic tech demos come out every 3months or so but I am so glad that Epic is doing something like fortnite and UT4. Artists need to understand that realistic shaders aren't the only thing in the world.

Catdaddy

Some reason read it as UC4 Paris, wondered why Drake was in Paris. Watched the video and wondered where was Paris. Looks nice though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Isn't it Fox Engine deferred? I could wrong but it's not exactly like to say real time. From this point of view UE 4 it's more real time although only in the static objects if I have understood how works.

Since when does deferred rendering mean you can't have real-time lighting? P.T. definitely does, and it looks spectacular (although the IQ could be a bit better - and I'm not talking about the grain, which is obviously intentional).

Does this really look that much worse than this video? I don't think so.

2644397-5dfnrgvvsuuz.jpg

2647023-pt7fuiy.jpg

Looks incredible.

Pneuma, which is using UE4, looks just as stunning and is due out before the end of February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQCN8k5aw0k

Can't wait.

That honestly doesn't come close to this, or P.T. for that matter. Doesn't look bad, but it's absolutely not "just as stunning".

magnumpy

Great use of PBR but I find the push towards increasingly static worlds that rely on pre-calculation to be uninteresting.

static worlds, and pre calculated lighting... sounds a lot like the Quake series... and that began all the way back in 1996!

anyway, it's not something we're "pushing towards." if anything, we're "pushing towards" dynamic lighting and dynamic environments.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
That looked great. But, this is still the most impressive real time tech demo I've seen so far. The attention to details is simply unmatched, basically a Pixar short.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/nex-gen/img/nexgen_mv3.jpg[/IMG]

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That looked great. But, this is still the most impressive real time tech demo I've seen so far. The attention to details is simply unmatched, basically a Pixar short.

Code:

Yeah, that's probably among the most incredible things I've seen.

Code:

and they tried it on PS4 and it worked great.

Top Bottom