• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 172 |OT| Biggest squash match since Goldberg wrestled La Parka

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished watching the event. Jon Jones is definitely the dirtiest player in the game. The way he just sticks his left hand out there is so flagrant. And those kicks to right above the knee. Winklejohn and Jackson, smh.

Having said that, Jones has been the most dominating LHW champ. He's definitely a versatile fighter with his striking, wrestling, etc.

UFC needs to hype the hell out of the Gustafson/Jones rematch. It's going to be amazing.

It was a great night of fights and had a quite a bit of stoppages. I thought last week's Fox card would be better bit this was definitely a deep card. They so need to have more events like this and stop diluting the product. I miss e days of two championship fights.

Rumble surprised me with his upset of Davis. Rockhold had a great submission.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I just finished watching the event. Jon Jones is definitely the dirtiest player in the game. The way he just sticks his left hand out there is so flagrant. And those kicks to right above the knee. Winklejohn and Jackson, smh.

Having said that, Jones has been the most dominating LHW champ. He's definitely a versatile fighter with his striking, wrestling, etc.

UFC needs to hype the hell out of the Gustafson/Jones rematch. It's going to be amazing.

It was a great night of fights and had a quite a bit of stoppages. I thought last week's Fox card would be better bit this was definitely a deep card. They so need to have more events like this and stop diluting the product. I miss e days of two championship fights.

Rumble surprised me with his upset of Davis. Rockhold had a great submission.

7V2ArKq.gif

U mad bro?

Nameless

There's never a shortage of sodium chloride around here when Jones wins. You'll all look back on this time thankful that you were able to witness greatness first hand.

thefro

Shouldn't Chuck Liddell's disciple know the counter to the eyepoke?

That was basically Chuck's finishing move when he was on top.

I'd personally qualify the knee kicks as on the dirtier side just because the risk of major injury as a result seems like it would be pretty high. But it's allowed apparently so it's not the same thing as eye pokes.

If there were a high risk of major injury from those, than one would think that there would be at least one incident of someone being injured AT ALL by them, but there isn't.

If there were a high risk of major injury from those, than one would think that there would be at least one incident of someone being injured AT ALL by them, but there isn't.

Well I did say it seems like it would be a pretty high risk. I haven't tried to look up numbers of injuries attributed to the technique. Knees are extremely vital joints for all sports and the nature of the attack being a strike rather than a submission means the damage is done in an instant that can't really be defended. Roundhouse kicks to the knee can be checked, submissions like knee bars and heel hooks tend to increase pressure over time, can be defended as they're being setup and opponent has the ability to tap. That oblique kick is instant so the moment it connects there's either damage done or there isn't. It's just a technique that's hard to classify.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There's never a shortage of sodium chloride around here when Jones wins. You'll all look back on this time thankful that you were able to witness greatness first hand.

Ahh the hip new retort that has been ground and pounded into the ground over and over. It's the new "U mad."

Next

Well I did say it seems like it would be a pretty high risk. I haven't tried to look up numbers of injuries attributed to the technique. Knees are extremely vital joints for all sports and the nature of the attack being a strike rather than a submission means the damage is done in an instant that can't really be defended.

why isn't everyone just spamming it if it can't be defended?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Aside from Machida making a return to LHW, no one but Gus stands a chance against JJ. Its going to take a new generation of fighters who think outside the box and have more creative techniques to handle JJ's arsenal.

Dysun

Aside from Machida making a return to LHW, no one but Gus stands a chance against JJ. Its going to take a new generation of fighters who think outside the box and have more creative techniques to handle JJ's arsenal.

Daniel Cormier is a better challenge than Gus, and he already ragdolled Machida

Nameless

Ahh the hip new retort that has been ground and pounded into the ground over and over. It's the new "U mad."

Salt, bitching, moaning, bemoaning. Whatever word you want to use they all articulate the thick cloud of bitterness that rises after each Jones victory.

Sure, the guy's a dick. But it's strange how everything Jones does gets magnified other than his ability to utterly decimate one of the most stacked divisions in MMA history using a multitude of techniques.

why isn't everyone just spamming it if it can't be defended?

It's a weird technique. One that I'm not really aware of a defense for. I haven't seen it used as an attack straight up though. Not really anyhow. Seems more defensive in origin, making your opponent hesitate in forward movement, but I'm not an expert in it's usage. Other than stay back out of kicking range, I don't know that there's a way to block or counter it.

The "why doesn't everyone just do X?" can be applied to a lot of things. Takedowns are weighted heavily in judging, so why doesn't every just try to take down their opponent? Checking a leg kick with your knee can end fights by breaking the opponents shin... why doesn't everyone try to check every kick? Springing off the fence before a strike can catch people off guard and increase power... why doesn't everyone use it? etc..etc..

Different fighters are trained with different techniques, have different levels of competence with those techniques and just plain prefer to use some techniques more than or instead of others. As it is, Jones is the only fighter in the UFC that uses the technique with any kind of regularity afaik. Maybe his reach has something to do with it.

Next

It's a weird technique. One that I'm not really aware of a defense for. I haven't seen it used as an attack straight up though. Not really anyhow. Seems more defensive in origin, making your opponent hesitate in forward movement, but I'm not an expert in it's usage. Other than stay back out of kicking range, I don't know that there's a way to block or counter it.

The "why doesn't everyone just do X?" can be applied to a lot of things. Takedowns are weighted heavily in judging, so why doesn't every just try to take down their opponent? Checking a leg kick with your knee can end fights by breaking the opponents shin... why doesn't everyone try to check every kick? Springing off the fence before a strike can catch people off guard and increase power... why doesn't everyone use it? etc..etc..

Different fighters are trained with different techniques, have different levels of competence with those techniques and just plain prefer to use some techniques more than or instead of others. As it is, Jones is the only fighter in the UFC that uses the technique with any kind of regularity afaik. Maybe his reach has something to do with it.

That's kind of my point though. It's no different than any other technique. Plenty others can and do more damage, but this one somehow manages to attract controversy.

Salt, bitching, moaning, bemoaning. Whatever word you want to use they all articulate the thick cloud of bitterness that rises after each Jones victory.

Sure, the guy's a dick. But it's strange how everything Jones does gets magnified other than his ability to utterly decimate one of the most stacked divisions in MMA history using a multitude of techniques.

Maybe it's personal. Perhaps it's because he is the first MMA fighter to score a Nike sponsorship. Perhaps its because he's so young. Maybe it's because he's black.

Or. . .

Maybe its because his "multitude of techniques" are centered around debilitating his opponents' fighting chances rather than defeating them on equal footing.

That's kind of my point though. It's no different than any other technique. Plenty others can and do more damage, but this one somehow manages to attract controversy.

It's controversial because it looks cringe worthy and everyone knows how serious knee injuries are. I doubt very many people know exactly how dangerous it is or isn't in comparison to other techniques.

But looking bad is all that' necessary for some techniques to be made illegal. 12-6 elbows and knees to the head of a downed opponent are examples of techniques that aren't allowed just because they look bad, not because they're necessarily more dangerous than other techniques.

alr1ght

I really don't think you'll get anybody to say he's not extremely talented and deserves his record. There's no need for him to use the bitch-ass techniques he uses in the cage. The top talent will always get the most criticism, doubly so when that top talent blatantly break the rules each and every fight. Ask Bisping or Belcher how they feel about eyepokes.

Yeah, Rogan was calling Jones on the eye pokes. He's also been a huge proponent of new gloves.

Minus the eye pokes and knee kicks, Jones is a versatile striker with spinning elbows, standard elbows, axe kicks, front kicks, spin kicks, jumping knees, hooks, jabs, standard knees, etc. We also know his wrestling is very good (maybe not Cormier or Habib level). His GnP/submission game is good.

There are gifs galore of the eye poke on this page, so I think that's was garnering all of the negativity.

Lazyslob

Banned

lol quit trying to justify it. it's a shitty thing to do and it pokes peoples eyes. end of story.

edit: nvm i thought you were talking about eye pokes. LOL. naw the knee kick things id say is an asshole move but at the same time many submissions are just bending your limbs in weird ass positions.

check this fucking shit out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAJ48nt8WxI

VASPER

Banned

I love me some Machida but he is no real threat to JJ, even now i look back at that fight and don't think Machida won the first round it was close but he would get killed again. I like The dragon at 185 personally.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Kicking to the knees and pawing with an open hand is pretty dirty no matter how you cut it. If you want to paw with your hand do it diaz style. Yeah its the hurt business but i guarantee you almost every fighter would prefer to get choked out or KO'd over knee/eye surgery.

check my edit

That's what makes it such a weird strike to classify. There aren't very many other strikes that do anything similar, so you can only really compare it to submissions but it doesn't quite compare evenly there either.

For what it's worth though, in some grappling competitions, certain submissions are considered illegal due to the danger present. I think heel hooks are illegal at certain levels of comp?

alr1ght

Does anyone know which gloves Joe Rogan keeps talking about that the UFC should use to eliminate eye pokes?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.frame&thread=1832333

I was really enjoying the Justin Wilcox vs JZ fight last night up until that eye poke, and it got me thinking again about an idea I had. There's always going to be a problem with open handed gloves, but I was wondering if there was a solution where we could develop a glove that covered the tips of the fingers and kept them all together like a speed bag glove. We would still have to worry about the thumb, but I think it could prevent at least some of the eye pokes from open hand pushes.

What I was thinking was a thin leather cover for the 4 fingers with some elastic on the sides so that it could spread out a bit to adjust grip. I don't think it would hinder grappling too much if done properly, and it might even help because it would provide traction when gripping that bare sweaty fingers wouldn't.

Lazyslob

Banned
That's what makes it such a weird strike to classify. There aren't very many other strikes that do anything similar, so you can only really compare it to submissions but it doesn't quite compare evenly there either.

For what it's worth though, in some grappling competitions, certain submissions are considered illegal due to the danger present. I think heel hooks are illegal at certain levels of comp?

Yeah, but is the kick that damaging? i mean, no one has complained about it or even said it was something dirty(not to my knowledge anyways). i think if it was something that bad more people would call it out. it think it just looks worse than it actually is. the idea of hyper extending your leg is bad but you'd need a lot of pressure to do it. the kick he does doesnt look that powerful.

Eddie and Joe should make the gloves. I mean they are both grappling guys they would find a happy medium between covered fingers and uncovered fingers.

Yeah, but is the kick that damaging? i mean, no one has complained about it or even said it was something dirty(not to my knowledge anyways). i think if it was something that bad more people would call it out. it think it just looks worse than it actually is. the idea of hyper extending your leg is bad but you'd need a lot of pressure to do it. the kick he does doesnt look that powerful.

Rampage called it out iirc. I don't know how much power would need to be used for it to injure someone really. If the fighter is coming forward or has his weight distributed a certain way, it might not need that much power.

Googling about it a bit, it looks like the technique is banned by the California SAC. That's not really a measure of how dangerous it is though, just shows that that state's commission views it as too dangerous.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
If you think these threads are salty now, wait until the Great White Hope loses again.

jones-gus

One guy was taken to the ER on a gurney where they told him it would be months before he'll be able to make an expression much less train. The other guy was taken to the Rhyno in a limo where he ran a one man train on the entire female staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom