• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 183 |OT| Silva x Diaz - Road to Future Endeavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

AngryLavishBengaltiger.gif

HonestGivingHorse.gif

EverySoftHackee.gif

B8vGOCjCcAEjD9S.jpg

the 'harpy' from tonight

lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Give Diaz a fight with Hendo or Wanderlei next. Id watch either match.

Hell I'd love to see Punk vs Diaz if Punk can win a few so we can see the trash talking alone.

Didn't see the fight but is it safe to say Nick Diaz had become that which he despised? A
Wolf Ticket?
Didn't see the fight either. But he's clearly not interested in fighting based on his action and words. He said the only thing that would bring him back were big money fights with Silva or GSP.

Fixed1979

Not a MMA GAF card carrying member but I had a good time at the fights tonight. Silva Diaz was a bit of a let down but I'm not sure if my expectations were really in line. Pretty sure the fight we got is the one we should have expected. Watching Kiedas Jones Barkley and the boys hanging out I front of us was almost more entertaining. ..

Turin

Banned
I didn't see the fight yet.

How was Silva's head movement?

I can't imagine he counters like he used to.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I thought Silva played it safe as fuck but Diaz legit lost that shit, I think Diaz' shit talk about winning every round was stupid. I don't know if I even want to watch the post-match conference. His face was ground meat. Yes, Silva played safe. I hope Silva just retires but knowing the UFC they'll try to rope him back in one more time to get fucked. Silva clearly isn't at that level anymore. The dude is almost 40.

As far as the people shitting on Silva for "crying" go read his UFC statements about how crappy he felt about the UFC right after the injury. He clearly felt shafted. I think if anything he was grateful that he was given a card he could potentially succeed in. (Diaz being off for so long, last win in 2011, last fight in 2013, it was probably at best an even match.)

Turin747 not sure why you'd want spoilers, but head movement was fairly bad. Silva was clearly not at the top of his game at all. If Diaz was more aggressive it could've gone a whole different way.

Turin

Banned
Just watched it. That was weird.

I think at this point Anderson really should try to develop a more consistent right jab. It could go a long way.

At least his legs aren't shot yet. He still moves pretty well.

16BitNova

I'm sorry but Silva is so boring to watch a majority of the time. Just like Mayweather. All they do is run away. I don't blame Diaz for getting frustrated. Fucking fight man, it's what you get paid to do.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm sorry but Silva is so boring to watch a majority of the time. Just like Mayweather. All they do is run away. I don't blame Diaz for getting frustrated. Fucking fight man, it's what you get paid to do.

He has 8 decisions in 34 wins. He has one of the highest finishing percentages.

cchum

Listening to the Sherdog radio channel,
I like their idea of
RAMPAGE vs. Anderson.

Keep him out of 185 and give him a plodding guy that he can dance around.

Diaz the same, keep him at 185 and give him Leites.

I like Shogun vs Anderson much better. I think rampage would be similar to Diaz or rampage vs machida. That's if shogun's chin isn't totally gone, which it may well be.

Turin

Banned

That's bullshit.

You want to see running? Watch Andre Dirrell vs. Curtis Stevens.

Terribly boring card all round. I haven't seen an exciting card in so long. I'll have to go back and watch my pride dvds I guess...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Those kids look 16. Yall are crazy thirsty.

Mayweather has sat in the pocket in front of guys for about 8 years now. People can't hit him clean when he's right in front of them.

Dysun

What a weird fight. Silva looked gunshy and far more tentative than we've seen, not without good reason but still a bummer. Diaz was clearly outmatched, in speed and skill.

The time is now for a GSP vs Silva match up, if George is recovered from his 2nd ACL injury I think he wins convincingly

Lazyslob

Banned
What a weird fight. Silva looked gunshy and far more tentative than we've seen, not without good reason but still a sight to see. Diaz was clearly outmatched, in speed and skill.

blah i hate when people say that. anderson did nothing that really every put diaz in any danger. not that nick did anything to put anderson in danger either. it really was a closer fight than and people are not giving nick any credit

Dysun

blah i hate when people say that. anderson did nothing that really every put diaz in any danger. not that nick did anything to put anderson in danger either. it really was a closer fight than and people are not giving nick any credit

If you can't gauge their difference in speed and variety in attacks I don't know what to tell you, especially when you factor in damage and 'power' vs 'volume'

If you can't gauge their difference in speed and variety in attacks I don't know what to tell you, especially when you factor in damage and 'power' vs 'volume'

In this fight, there was very little difference. Silva would only go with straights left and right when exploding and would rarely touch the target. Biggest punches that were thrown were actually the overhands from Diaz. But yeah, Anderson is the one with the biggest repertoire of tools, but he once again showed that he can't do shit while going forward and that he is unidimensional in the sense that he's a counter striker with a couple of fancy strikes only. I don't see him doing quite good going forward after this if he keeps that up.

His fights against Maia and Leites are proof of it, and I'm glad he got played like a clown by Diaz with his taunts at first considering the shit he pulled against those two.

Hex

Banned
In this fight, there was very little difference. Silva would only go with straights left and right when exploding and would rarely touch the target. Biggest punches that were thrown were actually the overhands from Diaz. But yeah, Anderson is the one with the biggest repertoire of tools, but he once again showed that he can't do shit while going forward and that he is unidimensional in the sense that he's a counter striker with a couple of fancy strikes only. I don't see him doing quite good going forward after this if he keeps that up.

His fights against Maia and Leites are proof of it, and I'm glad he got played like a clown by Diaz with his taunts at first considering the shit he pulled against those two.

He didn't get played like a clown. Diaz is the only one that looked like an assclown because for all his talk and mouth and show he could not even scratch Silva.

He didn't get played like a clown. Diaz is the only one that looked like an assclown because for all his talk and mouth and show he could not even scratch Silva.

Uh.. Diaz did very little trash talking leading into this fight. I certainly can't remember anything significant. He also normally fights a weight class below.

This was supposed to be a glorified tune up match for Silva to style on Diaz and many were not impressed with his performance.

Hex

Banned
Uh.. Diaz did very little trash talking leading into this fight. I certainly can't remember anything significant. He also normally fights a weight class below.

This was supposed to be a glorified tune up match for Silva to style on Diaz and many were not impressed with his performance.

I am talking about once the fight started, not leading up to it.
As far as weight class, he took the fight.
People always praise the Diaz brothers now all of the sudden people act like Nick is a can?

I am talking about once the fight started, not leading up to it.
As far as weight class, he took the fight.
People always praise the Diaz brothers now all of the sudden people act like Nick is a can?

Silva deserved those taunts as they're things that he's done himself to his opponents in the past.

Acknowledging that the match was intended to be imbalanced is not calling Nick Diaz a can. We're talking about a 15lbs weight difference between divisions where weight cutting is a major factor. Very few guys can move up a weight division and to fight a former P4P Great and be expected to hold their own, no matter how good they are in their natural weight class.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

This. Anderson landed the harder strikes but people seem to think he was capable of putting Diaz away whenever he wanted to. Nick's defense was tight and his game plan was pretty good too, the evidence being that he hit Anderson a lot and went five rounds. As Anderson said post fight, thus was the first time he went five rounds because his opponent was mentally strong in the standup.

Also, on leading, compare the first round against BJ to this fight. BJ was able to land his jab repeatedly and lead with it more effectively than Anderson. Yes Diaz was better in this fight than he was then, but still.
Not even Weidman "scratched" Silva. The guy doesn't bleed, but he had welts and bruises on his legs from kicks and checks (which I totally predicted, btw). Diaz's talk was solely aimed at getting Silva to lead and was moderately effective. He didn't talk trash leading up to the fight. No one got clowned in there, but Diaz being a massive underdog and getting away with doing Silva stuff to Silva on top of his usual antics is noteworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom