• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Fox 18 - Johnson vs Bader. 8 p.m E.T/1 a.m GMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good easy win for AJ. Should be a good fight him and Jones at UFC 200. After that Jones can move to HW and wreck through that division.

He'll be fine.

I doubt he gives up, he has too much drive.

I thought he looked good until they got to the ground.

I guess he has trained in Brazilian Jujitsu and wrestling but he's so passive on the ground.

I even saw him looking possibly to his corner for instructions of what to do, not a good sign.

I know he will. I'm rooting for him, but yes, his lack of experience and lower fight IQ (which he acknowledges all the time) absolutely showed.

I know it's tough to say after such little experience but do you think this weight class might be wrong for him and he should go back to 155???

In my highly uneducated opinion, yes. Some huge, powerful dudes are cutting weight to hit that weight class, whereas I bet that's closer to his walk around weight.

In my highly uneducated opinion, yes. Some huge, powerful dudes are cutting weight to hit that weight class, whereas I bet that's closer to his walk around weight.

I think he actually walks around at 175/180 but he seemed to be able to take down 155 pounders easily because of all that muscle and the fact that probably entered the ring easily more than 155.

Anyway, back to the drawing board.

You learn more from losses and despite the hype, anyone realistic knew he was going to lose early in his career with him being brand new to the UFC.

Jones has been hittable at times. He does have a big reach advantage over Rumble so if he can keep him from closing the distance early he can sub him later.

That said, of any matchup for Jones at LHW, this is the most dangerous.

This is true, but Bader lunging for a single leg takedown immediately when Rumble is at his freshest and strongest was a monumentally stupid move. I doubt Bones does anything like that. Rumble would have the proverbial puncher's chance, but Bones knows exactly how to execute his gameplan against guys like Rumble and has a tendency to make them look bad.

This is true, but Bader lunging for a single leg takedown immediately when Rumble is at his freshest and strongest was a monumentally stupid move. I doubt Bones does anything like that. Rumble would have the proverbial puncher's chance, but Bones knows exactly how to execute his gameplan against guys like Rumble and has a tendency to make them look bad.

That was odd to say the least.

I think it's pretty obvious to almost anyone that he couldn't stand up with Johnson but that was fast.

Maybe he figured he'd get knocked out before he could eventually take down a gassed Rumble.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
siT53N8.gif

0180_3ikpx.gif

akileese

Honestly, considering what the UFC pays this kid, they've got a right to be pissed. It was a pretty pathetic tap and to me it didn't even look like he had a legit choke on him. He tapped like two seconds after it got put on. Not even a slight attempt to get out of the thing.

His lack of a ground game was absolutely startling. It looked like he had no idea what to do and the level of BJJ required to defend a head and arm choke is incredibly basic. If he can't defend a simple submission from a fighter like that, he has no chance of being anything.

Sage needed to turn into dude, hip out, and get his elbow back. He tapped like he's never been in a jiu jitsu class before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbGaArbGFGs

Nah, none of that would have helped at that point. Hips out would have made it easier for his opponent to walk around the face of the clock. This guy was all shoulder pressure. I've been in shit like this and you can tap from it.

Sage's main problem was he held the head WAY too long. You've got to have an internal countdown clock like a QB in the pocket. Frankly, I was surprised the guy didn't Von Flue choke him, which is the more common punish.

But having Bork's arms wrapped around your neck is a little bit different than these twigs.

Plus Brock was in side mount when he made Carwin tap, which is very different than from half guard with regards to the amount of pressure and leverage the one in the hold is subjected to.

Nah, none of that would have helped at that point. Hips out would have made it easier for his opponent to walk around the face of the clock. This guy was all shoulder pressure. I've been in shit like this and you can tap from it.

Sage's main problem was he held the head WAY too long. You've got to have an internal countdown clock like a QB in the pocket. Frankly, I was surprised the guy didn't Von Flue choke him, which is the more common punish.

Yeah you really can. Pressure passers who crank it can make you feel like your jaw is collapsing into your head.

I think Sage freaked out. Realistically he could have used his outer hook for a butterfly swep. He would either have to let go to not be swept, or hold on to it and be sweapt.
People are wrong when they say "no heart"; but also kind of right, because you can resist it and get him of you with an agressive bridge.

It is so much worse when he steps over because you cannot roll, and your spine is locked. Arm triangles that are tight are some of the worst submissions to have locked in. I think only toeholds and heel hooks are worse.

Sage is saying he was sick before the fight:

"Two days before my fight, I had a real bad relapse of the strep throat and I had to go to the emergency ready clinic," Northcutt explained. "The UFC had to take me, then [a doctor] with the UFC had to write a prescription for more antibiotics, stuff like that. So I really couldn't explain how I felt out there. I felt really horrible."

Which I guess I can't believe. It explains the quick tap and the poor technique is explained by his being 19 years old. I think the kid could have a bright future if he makes the commitment to do this full time, I think he may have been underestimating the competition a bit, with taking so many fights while still going to school. Also going up a weight class on 8 days notice doesn't seem like the brightest idea.

His explanation for the tap:

"It wasn't the fact that I was panicking. I felt very calm," Northcutt said. "The thing was, having a hard time breathing and having a mouthpiece in ... when he was on top of me, having his shoulder, I guess, in my throat for that -- I know it wasn't like a traditional head and arm choke from side control where you get to apply the same kind of pressure, but just being able to have your jaw shut and then trying to breathe through your nose for this time during the fight, I was so congested, to tell you the truth, that I couldn't even breathe, much less stand up really.

"That's why I wasn't able to move the same, wasn't able to kick the same. What I wanted to do and what I thought in my head about doing out there, I wasn't able to actually act it out and do it because my body wasn't able to keep up. It was like breathing through a straw. That's what it really felt like. So down there in that position, even though it may not have been the best locked in hold, I was having such a hard time breathing that it was just as tight as what it might have been if I was in that kind of position if I wasn't sick, if that makes sense."

I'll be interested to see how he does in his next fight.

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/1/10888960/sage-northcutt-went-to-emergency-clinic-for-strep-throat-two-days

Which I guess I can't believe. It explains the quick tap and the poor technique is explained by his being 19 years old. I think the kid could have a bright future if he makes the commitment to do this full time, I think he may have been underestimating the competition a bit, with taking so many fights while still going to school. Also going up a weight class on 8 days notice doesn't seem like the brightest idea.

He didn't go up a weight class, he fought a 155er who came in on short notice and knew that he couldn't make weight in 8 days. So instead of both fighters dehydrating, they just decided to fight at 170.

He didn't go up a weight class, he fought a 155er who came in on short notice and knew that he couldn't make weight in 8 days. So instead of both fighters dehydrating, they just decided to fight at 170.

Ah Ok, I didn't know the other guy was a lightweight also. That makes more sense. Though Northcutt was already at or very close to 155lb by the time he got notice to fight at 170lb, so he was still at a disadvantage there.

The whole weight cutting thing is completely ridiculous. Weight classes were created to protect fighters and now one of the most dangerous aspect of fighting is weight cutting (one guy died a few weeks ago due to weight cut complications).

The UFC should follow ONE FCs example and ban weight cutting altogether. Sure maybe you'd have to modify existing weight classes. Like for example Lightweights would be 170lb since that's the actual weight of those guys. I would like to see something like that.

Also without having to cut so much, fighters could safely fight a lot more often IMO.

Here's how it will work on ONE FC:

The new rules will include submission of daily data, random weight checks, fight-week tests for dehydration, and criteria for how much more a fighter can weigh during a two-month period before a contracted fight.

Most dramatically, a fighter must be within the contracted weight class three weeks before the fight, as well as at the final weigh-in that takes place the day before the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom