• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ugh... Super Monkey Ball sucks monkey nuts

jedimike

In the back of my mind, I suspected that Nintendo fans were praising every GC exclusive game whether it was good or not... now it is confirmed.

Picked up SMBD at EB yesterday... I figured it was only $30 and it had received lots of praise. I barely made it through 2 worlds before I had to turn it off. I felt like I was playing an episode of boobah. Fucking monkeys floating in balls babbling on about magic poo. Run monkey across board and hit goal... not challenging and not fun.

This game should have stayed a GC exclusive.

boobah.jpg

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I am not a GameCube fan myself, but if you think Super Monkey Ball is not challenging, you're a total lamer. Try playing more than 10 stages.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
super monkey ball is awesome. It's one of the few gamecube games i actually loved. I just hope the controls didn't go all wacky in porting it.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Hold the fuck on, I myself am an Xbot and SMB2 was a game that I felt justified my GC purchase, it just kicked so much god damn ass.

jumper

He's right about one thing, when they float and talk about magic poo poo or whatever, it makes no sense - but WHO CARES?!?

just skip that stuff and worry about the levels. Not challenging? The funny thing about that is he'll probably find this the most challenging game he's ever played. And I mean challenging in a rewarding good way, not the frustrating, unfair kind.

Kseutron

fennec fox said:
I am not a GameCube fan myself, but if you think Super Monkey Ball is not challenging, you're a total lamer. Try playing more than 10 stages.

well, I can only agree with this post

ge-man

You haven't really played anything if you don't think SMB is challenging. Of course the first few levels are going to be soft, but the difficulty ramps up quickly.

pestul

jedimike said:
ahhh I see... another Kirby. It becomes really good after 40 hours.
Yikes, you are seriously in the minority here. I thought just about everyone loved SMB..

And no, it's not a GC drought thing, it's just a damn awesome game.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I wasn't too impressed with Monkey Marble Madness myself, mini-games included.

This is another title I chalk up under the "Why so much hype?" column.

LakeEarth

Wait till you have to do an S curve on a line so thin the slightest analog stick vibration will send you to your death.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jedimike said:
ahhh I see... another Kirby. It becomes really good after 40 hours.

If by 40 hours you mean 40 minutes, maybe so (but it should take much less time). Monkey Ball is not an easy game and claiming otherwise suggests that you have made no progress.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Harsh words. I liked what little of SMB I've played on GC. However, it's the kind of game I'd only buy for PSP now.

belgurdo

Banned
I always ponder to myself as to why I have a personal credo stating that most GAFer opinions on games are worthless, then I see threads like this

DJ Sl4m

I don't really see how it can be hated or overly hyped, it's a labyringth game with an overabundance of colors.

I had a blast with it while I had my GC, sure it's a bit too easy at first but it gets a lot harder, similar to the first Rayman on PSX got harder as you progressed.

Simple but fun.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Super Monkey Ball is one of the best games this generation. If you didn't find it "challenging" you haven't even played the fucking thing, so what the fuck are you doing here talking about it? And you couldn't even find it for $20 like the rest of us......you suck at life.

And for the record, Super Monkey Ball singleplayer >^50 Super Monkey Ball 2 singleplayer.

Enigma

BuddyC said:
I can understand not digging the Monkey Ball, but to deny that it's a challenging game is just ridiculous.

It blows all credibility in the original intent of the thread... to bash Gamecube. Because anyone who's played the game knows it's incrediblely challenging (And probably the hardest skill-based game this gen. SMB1's single player levels are also the best old-school levels of this generation. And for people who have played it, Expert 7 is probably one of their most satisfying accomplishments of this gen (Assuming they were one of the proud who didn't quit at this point).

jedimike

dark10x said:
If by 40 hours you mean 40 minutes, maybe so (but it should take much less time). Monkey Ball is not an easy game and claiming otherwise suggests that you have made no progress.

I cleared 2 worlds and the cutscenes were unbearable along with the monkey celebration after every - single - stage. The banana difficulty level made no sense. Played one stage that had a 7 banana difficulty and it was just a straight line down a big ramp. Other stages had 2 banana difficulties that were harder.

When do I get to the cool shit like pool, bowling, flying, etc.?

SantaC

jedimike said:
I cleared 2 worlds and the cutscenes were unbearable along with the monkey celebration after every - single - stage. The banana difficulty level made no sense. Played one stage that had a 7 banana difficulty and it was just a straight line down a big ramp. Other stages had 2 banana difficulties that were harder.

Where is your patience?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Enigma said:
It blows all credibility in the original intent of the thread... to bash Gamecube. Because anyone who's played the game knows it's incrediblely challenging (And probably the hardest skill-based game this gen. SMB1's single player levels are also the best old-school levels of this generation. And for people who have played it, Expert 7 is probably one of their most satisfying accomplishments of this gen (Assuming they were one of the proud who didn't quit at this point).
Indeed. I screamed screams of joy when I beat Expert level 7 for the first time. And after that I would sometimes be able to beat the level having lost no lives up till that point.....love that shit.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
jedimike said:

You have to unlock those by playing the game and getting bannanas.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jedimike said:

The main game involves moving the board in order to roll your monkey around the course to reach a goal. The stages become EXTREMELY difficult as you move forward through the game. Mastering those stages is a great deal of fun.

The "cool shit" can be found in the mini-game section and should be present in a menu option apart from the main game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's good just to skip the horrid cut scenes. But it's quite challenging. I don't know, it's not my favorite game but it seems like a wonderful job on the port. The ridged S controller is great with it so far too. I like how all the party games are on one disc and I want to see some of the extra levels. It loads fast, saves to hard drive, and kicks your ass. Not too much to hate.

AirBrian

This thread is funny.

Every gamer has different tastes, but comments like:

jedimike said:
In the back of my mind, I suspected that Nintendo fans were praising every GC exclusive game whether it was good or not... now it is confirmed.
and...
This game should have stayed a GC exclusive.
...are just blatant trolls/baiting.

SyNapSe

I can definately understand the issue with the quirky singing monkey cutscenes, but the difficulty complaint.. WHOA.

I'm not a GC fan at all.. In fact if the Xbox port was a good one, I was planning on selling my GC. The monkey ball games are really all I spend time on the GC. I don't enjoy RE, and I found I'm not as fond of most of the GC titles at this point in my life.

I normally respect your opinions, JediMike but you are way off here, and it really doesn't sound like you gave the game much of a chance.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
What sort of advanced stage of ADD must one have to get bored and judge a game that quickly? The game is universally praised. Did you ever stop and think for a few seconds that there might be some personal issues preventing you from enjoying it? Like your blatant anti-Nintendo trolling, or just utter lack of patience? [spoon kid from Matrix] If you play the game for more than five minutes, you'll find it's not the game that sucks, it is only yourself. [/spoon kid from Matrix]

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Odnetnin said:
Don't hate on one of the few decent SEGA title this gen. The consensus is right. You suck.

Odnetnin said:
Mark of KRI - Fawful
Maximo - Fawful
DMC - Fawful
Gitaroo Man - currently under assessment of death. No one mentioned it was THIS hard
ICO - Bomba
Z.O.E - Miss... where's the fun
POP SOT - Fawful

Sorry, you have no right whatsoever to bash someone for hating a game which the concensus says rocks. You suck.

jedimike, you also suck for your irrational monkey-hate crimes, but not nearly as much as Odnetnin.

Case closed.

Enigma

The case isn't closed.

There's nothing wrong with hating something, but that post shows he obviously hasn't played the thing. So he should STFU until he does. No need making threads advertising your ignorance on a subject.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sounds like somebody just wants to play the likes of DMC 3 or Ninja Gaiden to get his difficulty groove on.

Top Bottom