• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ugh... Super Monkey Ball sucks monkey nuts

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
In the back of my mind, I suspected that Xbox fans were were slightly delusional, having been starved of a decent slew of good exclusive titles... now it is confirmed.

Monkey Ball > all exclusives on the Box sans the Halos!

FightyF

Banned
Play it again JediMike...play some of the challenging stages and you'll LOVE it!

By far the best GameCube game! Be glad you can play it on the Xbox!

atomsk

Party Pooper
DONT FUCKING PLAY STORY MODE

FFS, i thought that was common knowledge?

also. how the fuck is beginner 39 a beginner stage? either the xbox controller is fucked or my skills were off. i didnt die once till i hit that damn stage

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
can anyone explain if the master mode made it across intact?

DHGamer

Couple quick observations after 2 hours with it:

- no more points for bananas it seems, but every 100 gives you extra monkeys
- 5 continues off the bat
- all 12 minigames are unlocked from the start
- stages seem to be playable in different world textures. Don't remember the cube version doing this
- Noticed pixel shader effects on surfaces that I don't think the cube had
- 1&2 + new levels are intermixed now.. like 1 huge game. Begineer shows 40 levels now for instance
- Most importantly the Xbox stick is MUCH smoother and easier to control than the cube was for me. It's like my skill level went 3x higher instantly lol.

Glad I picked it up.

PS.. More like this SEGA! you listening?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fuck, even Tommy Tallarico loves Super Monkey Ball and he HATES NINTENDO. Or at least that's what people think

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Jedi Mike is a moron. End discussion.

"WTF I ONLY PLAYED 10 MINUTES OF THE GAME AND ITS STILL SO EASY!!"
"IT HAS'NT GOTTEN HARD IN THE 30 MINUTES IVE PLAYED IT, ILL JUST ASSUME THAT MEANS IT WON'T GET HARD UNTIL I PLAY 40 HOURS MORE."
"TIME TO GO COMPLAIN ON THE FORUMS AND BE IGNORANT TO PISSS PEOPLE OFF"

Hotsuma

I have not tried MonkeyBall 1 or 2 on the GC. Is the 'Deluxe' version worth buying, or is it more of a worth a rental or three game? What kind of soundtrack does this game have?

rastex

Banned
SMB is the only game I've ever played to give me motion sickness. Just having the entire level constantly moving around really messed with my senses. Which really sucks because I like the premise of the game and really wanted to play it more.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
rastex said:
SMB is the only game I've ever played to give me motion sickness. Just having the entire level constantly moving around really messed with my senses. Which really sucks because I like the premise of the game and really wanted to play it more.

well you do overcome motion sickness. Timesplitters 2 gave me this a little bit, I just ignored it, now I don't get the sensation from any game.

Gazunta

Enigma said:
There's nothing wrong with hating something, but that post shows he obviously hasn't played the thing. So he should STFU until he does. No need making threads advertising your ignorance on a subject.

90% of video game reviewers say you're wrong! :)

"You Xbox troll you! I mean how dare you bash an Xbox title on this board that's also on the GameCube! Xbox Troll ahah! Halo 2 Sucks! "

I think that about sums up the weak statements trying to troll the guys thread here.

I personally liked the game myself, but if you didn't that's fine. It's not a AAA game by any stretch of the imagination. It's however a decent game that I think is fun to play with my niece and nephew.

Sho Nuff

Banned
And one more thing, nobody better dis the monkey victory animations, those are shit hot.

Does the game have a widescreen mode for 16:9 TVs or projectors? Running the GC one in widescreen at 100 inches was unbelievable (F-Zero also had the same mode).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
CrimsonSkies It's not a AAA game by any stretch of the imagination.[/QUOTE said:
Nope, it's AAA by a big fat blob of condensed reality. People that thinks it's a bit of fun probably only play the minigames. the main mode is where it's at!

Skill based gameplay > all.

Prine

Banned
I agree. I bought this with my GC. Load of bollocks, sold it after a week of solid play.

Settled for Rogue LEader, which wasnt all that great either

_Angelus_

Banned
Prine said:
I agree. I bought this with my GC. Load of bollocks, sold it after a week of solid play.

Settled for Rogue LEader, which wasnt all that great either

Haha,damn thats how it went down for me as well. I played and played and played Super Monkey Ball till I got burnt out on it. A really fun game,but its sorta like Crazy Taxi in that I got my fill with the first one. Ofcourse the Monkey Ball series is better than Crazy Taxi though(2 and 3 were half assed to me.)

Grubdog

Banned
iapetus said:
Which is why SMB > SMB2, especially when it comes to Monkey Target.
Indeed, too many of the SMB2 levels relied on luck and switches and crap. At least it was possible to see the expert master stages in SMB2 though, has anyone beat all 50 levels on Expert on SMB1 without losing a continue?

Socreges

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
"You Xbox troll you! I mean how dare you bash an Xbox title on this board that's also on the GameCube! Xbox Troll ahah! Halo 2 Sucks! "

I think that about sums up the weak statements trying to troll the guys thread here.
You can't be serious.

iapetus said:
Which is why SMB > SMB2, especially when it comes to Monkey Target.
Couldn't agree more. Though I still had a lot of fun with SMB2.

Grubdog said:
Indeed, too many of the SMB2 levels relied on luck and switches and crap. At least it was possible to see the expert master stages in SMB2 though, has anyone beat all 50 levels on Expert on SMB1 without losing a continue?

i did, that was prolly the toughest thing ive ever done on a game. getting to those last few levels with only 1 life left? that shit was so intense. i wound up making it to master 2 before losing the first continue.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Grubdog said:
has anyone beat all 50 levels on Expert on SMB1 without losing a continue?

I unlocked all every single level masters included in monkey ball 1 and 2. monkey ball 1 took me well over a year to do it. I kept coming back. for the master levels though, I had to download a video of how to beat that using a dirty cheat. that level was like expert 7 with a firecracker up it's ass.

djm19

jedimike said:
I cleared 2 worlds and the cutscenes were unbearable along with the monkey celebration after every - single - stage. The banana difficulty level made no sense. Played one stage that had a 7 banana difficulty and it was just a straight line down a big ramp. Other stages had 2 banana difficulties that were harder.

When do I get to the cool shit like pool, bowling, flying, etc.?

The pool, bowling, and flying are all in the multiplayer mode (I think its called party mode). If you want challenging levels, try playing expert mode. I guarentee it will be the one of the hardest games you ever attempted to beat. You should see the videos of people doing the hardest levels really fast, its incredible.

sasimirobot

catfish said:
I unlocked all every single level masters included in monkey ball 1 and 2. monkey ball 1 took me well over a year to do it. I kept coming back.

Yeah. I almost destroyed 1/2 my furniture at monkey ball 1 master. So hard, so good. Monkey Ball 2 gets alot of shit, but it still has alot to offer (progressive scan, new mini-games, clever boards, etc...)

How many new levels in the Xbox version anyone know?? might have to pick it up...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wait, is SMB2 single player only available in SMBDeluxe? IIRC, SMB2's single player sucked. Better off playing the first SMB for single player mode

swander

Aww man this means I'll have to start playing Monkey Target again. I love the game, love Monkey Bowling, Monkey Punch etc. but I fucking hate that Monkey Target crap. And that's all my friends ever want to play.

jedimike

I'm glad that so many of you love the game. I tried playing it some more. Yes, it did get a lot harder, but sadly the game is just not for me. I would like to offer it up to GAF before I throw it on Ebay. It is in the official sale/trade thread but I don't think many people look at that.

Perfect condition. Less than 2 hours in Xbox. Make me an offer.

Top Bottom