• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ugh... Super Monkey Ball sucks monkey nuts

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Enigma said:
The case isn't closed.

There's nothing wrong with hating something, but that post shows he obviously hasn't played the thing. So he should STFU until he does. No need making threads advertising your ignorance on a subject.

Well, yes. Hence the case is closed with the conclusion that he sucks.

If he plays the game some more and is prepared to take a rational view of it rather than one fuelled by fanboy hatred, then perhaps it can be reopened.

8bit

Knows the Score
The true adventures of Jedimike(the guy that was so unimpressed by Super Monkey Ball Deluxe that he decided to live in an Xbox)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
8bit said:
The true adventures of Jedimike(the guy that was so unimpressed by Super Monkey Ball Deluxe that he decided to live in an Xbox)
:lol

"Boy, it sure is roomy in here!"

*laugh track*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
iapetus said:
Sorry, you have no right whatsoever to bash someone for hating a game which the concensus says rocks. You suck.

jedimike, you also suck for your irrational monkey-hate crimes, but not nearly as much as Odnetnin.

Case closed.

This is correct.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Christ, I like the game but Jedi owns a GC. He bought it on Xbox. He just doesn't like it. Perhaps prematurely, but no need for a crucifixion.

jumper

jedimike,
i'm interested to see what you think after playing more of it. I know you're getting bashed on by the monkey ball freaks (which i am), but i guess i could understand someone getting a bad first impression of the game.

i really want to see what a monkey ball critic says of its challenge & fun factor after getting to the tough stuff.

and definitely just skip those ridiculous cutscenes... ....but in time you'll learn to love them, as you'll learn to love anything associated with super monkey ball.

ge-man

Musashi Wins! said:
Christ, I like the game but Jedi owns a GC. He bought it on Xbox. He just doesn't like it. Perhaps prematurely, but no need for a crucifixion.

There's nothing wrong with him not liking it. I completely understand if he's underwhelmed by the presentation. However, the difficulty remarks were nonsense to anyone whose played for more than 10 levels and the he added a little GC bash at the end to top it off. The fact that was an GC exclusive for such a long time has nothing to do with most gamers opinions of the game.

Frankly, I think he was looking for a flame war, but that' just me.

Odnetnin

Banned
iapetus said:
Sorry, you have no right whatsoever to bash someone for hating a game which the concensus says rocks. You suck.

jedimike, you also suck for your irrational monkey-hate crimes, but not nearly as much as Odnetnin.

Case closed.

Enigma said:
The case isn't closed.

There's nothing wrong with hating something, but that post shows he obviously hasn't played the thing. So he should STFU until he does. No need making threads advertising your ignorance on a subject.

STFU. old school style and I meant consesus on Jedimike = the suck.

and I played all those shitty games.

Enigma

Odnetnin said:
STFU. old school style and I meant consesus on Jedimike = the suck.

and I played all those shitty games.

I don't even know what that means. But whatever. Euro scary man was wrong for saying you're worse than JediMike. If the above is a slam against me, okay.

Odnetnin

Banned
Enigma said:
I don't even know what that means. But whatever. Euro scary man was wrong for saying you're worse than JediMike. If the above is a slam against me, okay.

I wasn't slamming you. I was addressing his post with yours + my remark that I've actually spent more than 30 minutes with the titles I didn't like. And that my reference to consensus wasn't about Monkey Ball (which I thought was decent...) but that JediMike sucks.

:)

holy crap monkey ball is out on xbox!? this is one of the all-time classic multiplayer games. i never really liked the single player puzzle mode too much (likely because i suck nuts at it), but damn monkey target and some of the other minigames are incredible.

can anyone tell me if this is a new monkey ball or if its monkey ball 1/2 packaged together? and if it's monkey ball 1 & 2, does it have BOTH versions of monkey target? i liked monkey target in SMB 2, but i liked part 1's MT better (each player going separately). thanks fellas

Kon Tiki

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
holy crap monkey ball is out on xbox!? this is one of the all-time classic multiplayer games. i never really liked the single player puzzle mode too much (likely because i suck nuts at it), but damn monkey target and some of the other minigames are incredible.

can anyone tell me if this is a new monkey ball or if its monkey ball 1/2 packaged together? and if it's monkey ball 1 & 2, does it have BOTH versions of monkey target? i liked monkey target in SMB 2, but i liked part 1's MT better (each player going separately). thanks fellas

1 + 2 + New = SMB DX

Monkey Ball 1/2 are f'in awesome. Very, very challenging, and some of the best multiplayer modes from this generation. Monkey Target (especially in SMB2, where it's split-screen) will make you want to murder your friends. :D

jedimike

ge-man said:
Frankly, I think he was looking for a flame war, but that' just me.

Sometimes I like to add what I call a little "spice" to the forums.

jedimike,
i'm interested to see what you think after playing more of it. I know you're getting bashed on by the monkey ball freaks (which i am), but i guess i could understand someone getting a bad first impression of the game.

I loved Hamsterball. I bought the game and completed all levels earning at least a gold trophy. There was also a difficulty curve, but it only took a few minutes of playing to know that the game rocked.

How much time have I spent on SMBD? 45minutes - 1hr. I'm not happy with anything I have seen so far. My gaming time is limited as it is. If after an hour, I'm not digging it, then I'm moving on.

The comments on here tell me that the game develops a lot slower, so I'll put some more time in it and will also explore some of the menu options. I know from the OXM demo, that better things are forthcoming, but they better come soon.

Those commercials are great!

Did you ever stop and think for a few seconds that there might be some personal issues preventing you from enjoying it? Like your blatant anti-Nintendo trolling, or just utter lack of patience?

Check my post history... go troll hunting somewhere else. I like monkeys... really. But suffering through pre-pubescent cutscenes of Bad-boon and magical poo will drive anyone insane.

SyNapSe

Speevy said:
Come on. That analog stick didn't ramp up the difficulty for you? ;)

I just looked for it at Best Buy but they didn't have it on shelves yet. It is SMB 1 + 2 plus some new levels. I'm not sure about the minigames? Are they all in?

Soybean

When people speak ill of Super Monkey Ball my blood boils and I want to murder the population of the world. But the bright side of this story is that you've reminded me to go get SMB Deluxe.

I'm a big fan of Monkey Target myself. Play Monkey Target and tell me it's not fun. TELL ME!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
jedimike said:
I barely made it through 2 worlds before I had to turn it off.

And

jedimike said:
Run monkey across board and hit goal... not challenging and not fun.

Make you wrong.

EDIT: I won't argue that DR BADBOON was a terrible turn for monkey ball to take, it's one of the main reasons SMB1 > SMB2. In fact it's the biggest reason next to the switch dependancy of SMB2.

Need some SMB veteran to beat this game and give impressions, when is it out in PAL land?

Try challenge mode, if this doesn't give you a challenge then you are a robot.

Dragmire

How can anyone take this seriously? This thread belongs on an AOL message board. And how can you not know what you're getting into when buying Super Monkey Ball?

itschris

jedimike said:
But suffering through pre-pubescent cutscenes of Bad-boon and magical poo will drive anyone insane.
You know, those cutscenes are only in the story mode. If they're that bad for you, play the challenge mode. It has most of the same levels as the story mode, but it's set up like an arcade game. You choose Beginner, Advanced, or Extra levels and then go through them sequentially with a limited number of lives and continues.

And the minigames are in a seperate menu option from the main game, so go there if you want to try Monkey Target, Fight, Pool, Golf, et al.

Hellraizah

JediMike, try the multiplayer games with friends. Just for this, you'll love the game.

Anyways, can somebody FINALLY say if this game runs in widescreen or not ?

EDIT : Nevermind, I just found out elsewhere, it IS widescreen and 480p.

mj1108

Dragmire said:
How can anyone take this seriously? This thread belongs on an AOL message board. And how can you not know what you're getting into when buying Super Monkey Ball?

I guess he was expecting guns, blood and hookers.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I can't wait for Super Monkey Ball 3, where you become equipped with an automatic UZI and blast your way to the goal. Xbox Live enabled for multiplayer deathmatches!

SantaC

Wario64 said:
I can't wait for Super Monkey Ball 3, where you become equipped with an automatic UZI and blast your way to the goal. Xbox Live enabled for multiplayer deathmatches!

A MONKEY HUNTED BY HIS PAST!

Kon Tiki

Banned
Wario64 said:
shadow.gif

"Not funny©"

© Deg, 2004.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
iapetus said:

Case closed.

i agree and that would make this a mod concensus that both of you suck.

monkey ball almost made me break my gamecube, but it is fun.

SantaC

sp0rsk said:
i agree and that would make this a mod concensus that both of you suck.

monkey ball almost made me break my gamecube, but it is fun.

viewtiful Joe - magnicifent 5 on adult almost made me break my GC ;)

Ristamar

SantaCruZer said:
viewtiful Joe - magnicifent 5 on adult almost made me break my GC ;)

Same here, except on V-Rated. Another Joe is always hard for me for some reason (Fire Leo doesn't bother me that much).

Teddman

Super Monkey Ball single player mode is alright, once it got uber-challenging I lost some interest. For me, the main draw were the multiplayer games. Especially Monkey Bowling, Target, Fight, and Golf in the first one.

I think between the fun times I had with friends on SMB 1 & Soccer Slam, Sega alone made GameCube worth having for me during its first year.

jedimike said:
In the back of my mind, I suspected that Nintendo fans were praising every GC exclusive game whether it was good or not... now it is confirmed.

Picked up SMBD at EB yesterday... I figured it was only $30 and it had received lots of praise. I barely made it through 2 worlds before I had to turn it off. I felt like I was playing an episode of boobah. Fucking monkeys floating in balls babbling on about magic poo. Run monkey across board and hit goal... not challenging and not fun.

This game should have stayed a GC exclusive.

boobah.jpg

The funny thing is you have no idea how FACTUALLY wrong you are. Not challenging? Mook.

Socreges

Banned
The cut-scenes in SMB2 (and SMB?) are the most atrocious things to ever grace my television -- and I have Boobah DVDs for my niece.

But what the fuck are you smoking if you think the game isn't challenging or if this is a case of Nintendo fans praising a bad game (please, post a list of the Xbox games that you own). I mean, if you really need reassurance, just consider that SMB/SMB2 made Sho Nuff and Teddman's GC purchases worth while! If that's not an official stamp of quality, what the fuck is!

Teddman

Here's a tip, if you want to sample some of the unlockable mini-games without "buying" them first with your banana points: accrue enough points to unlock one of them, save your game, then turn autosave off and unlock one of the party games.

Try playing it for awhile, then reset the console and load your old save with the banana points still intact. Repeat until you decide which game you like most.

jedimike said:
Sometimes I like to add what I call a little "spice" to the forums.
This 'spice' as you call it, is actually called trolling, and it's not something you should do unless you'd like to be banned.

_Angelus_

Banned
I do think the game gets a shit load of praise. One reason being because of its sales. Every time you hear of a Cuber whining about Sega ignoring the userbase you'll see some a Cuber posting sales of the game. It was a new IP that sold well and the timing was perfect,people were buying a new GameCube system,the combination was totally perfect for the games release.

I enjoyed Monkey Ball allot at the GameCube lauch,but I grew tired of it after a week or two. I never had any interest in buying number 2 and I won't even touch this compilation. I'd rather buy other Sega games like SpikeOut instead. Maybe it would have been better to have the re release on the GameCube exclusively,the userbase tends to look for something like this to buy anyways.

Top Bottom