• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Nintendo Shelf Space Severely reduced in Tesco - Now part of 360 Section

wsippel

Banned
Did you miss the GTA V record setting launch?

Console gaming ain't dead here, just Nintendo consoles. We'll still buy CoD, FIFA & GTA as though our lives depended on it.
Did you miss my edit? ;)

All that won't help in the long run. Three games don't make an industry.

Nintendo was the "big boy". We'll see what happens. Maybe console gaming as a whole is just dead and PS4 and Xbone will end up sharing that limited shelf space with the Wii U, while Google, Apple and maybe Valve eat everybody's lunch.

Nope. While console gaming is going to contract, its still going to be far more successful than any Nintendo offering. The causal Wii and kinect markets may have been lost however.

Rich!

lol wtf @ PC selling more at retail than 3DS

How the hell is that even explainable?

Well, bizarrely, The Range store near me has a large PC section. It may only be shovelware and shitty cheap crap, but apparently it sells. Maybe the sales are due to things like that? I dunno.

edit: or football manager. Tesco were hyping that up at launch actually.

Into

Did you miss the GTA V record setting launch?

Console gaming ain't dead here, just Nintendo consoles. We'll still buy CoD, FIFA & GTA as though our lives depended on it.

FIFA came out today!?

I gotta go! maybe some stores are still open

tumblr_m5j0au5A341ryu3loo1_400.gif

Wii U will be gone from all stores within 6 months. It's dead. I would imagine most Nintendo games will get moved to their next console.

AOC83

Banned
Nintendo was the "big boy". We'll see what happens. Maybe console gaming as a whole is just dead and PS4 and Xbone will end up sharing that limited shelf space with the Wii U, while Google, Apple and maybe Valve eat everybody's lunch.

LMAO.

Wii U will be gone from all stores within 6 months. It's dead. I would imagine most Nintendo games will get moved to their next console.

If only there was some way to purchase videogame hardware and software that wasn't where you buy your food.

Oh well, you had a good innings nintendo.

Rich!

When will this fucking end :(

Well, it'll end when brick and mortar retailers in the UK are no longer selling the Wii U or it's games in any way whatsoever. Going by how the last year has been, I predict that'll be in a few months.

Nothing will save it here. Wind Waker, Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong sure as hell wont.

If only there was some way to purchase videogame hardware and software that wasn't where you buy your food.

Oh well, you had a good innings nintendo.

Nintendo disappearing from non-online retail is in no way a good thing, no matter how you try to spin it.

AHA-Lambda

WOW! I'll need to check my local Tesco just for comparison but man, getting relegated as a platform holder across all your systems to a top 5 in one of the UK's biggest supermarkets? Christ.

Fuck it, Nintendo should put every game on the eShop two weeks early. Retailers aren't helping them in any way, shape, or form. Cut out the middle man. I remember going into Asda on Luigi Mansion 2 launch day, and they didn't have any and had no idea when they'd get it in. And it's not like this is some niche title, it's Luigi. Trying to find Fire Emblem was an even more saddening experience. Ridiculous.

Rich!

OMG, the WiiU has been virtual boy'd. So X will be on the next console then? Any news you'd care to share Kenny?

X is obviously coming out on the Wii U. As will the other games they've shown.

Those that are still in planning stages? Wouldnt bet against them being moved elsewhere to be honest. 3DS seems most likely.

Yep. Nintendo shelf space got downsized here as well at my Tesco to expand the PC section for some reason.

Also, they recently ditched our PS3 "bargain" section in order to expand the size of the 360 "bargain" section, even though my mates that work there say the cheapo PS3 games seem to sell a bit better/need restocks more than the 360 ones. It's weird.

wsippel

Banned
Laugh all you want, but the industry as a whole is down. GTAV being a huge success doesn't change that. People won't buy a console for three games - they buy the games because they already have the platforms they run on.

Slayven

I use to joke that if you walk into a store and ask for a Wii U, they would have to sell you the one acting as a doorstop.

Seriously lmao... GTA 5 just set the record in 3 days on just 2 consoles. You probably play Nintendo games only I guess.

jeffers

sadly similar in my local tesco, 3 of 4 titles between 3ds and wiiu, though the games section has shrunk itself and 360 and ps3 are together and occupy 1 kinda unit of shelving.

Might be squeezing stuff together for new consoles, but probably will have a big push for their own new tablet.

Hystzen

I will go to my Asda tomorrow to take a picture but the Nintendo shelf area is larger then both PS3 and Xbox360

Reallink

Reduced to clear?

Shit. That is bad news for Nintendo.
Someone sure screwed up majorly when marketing it.

Don't think you can blame marketing for this one, the hardware shoulders most of the blame IMO. U pad eats way too much of the BoM, adds little practical value, is a clear downgrade over the OG Wiimote+ (never mind an upgraded variant), and the last gen specs guaranteed next to no "Core" uptake and little third party support as a result. Marketing ain't gonna fix all that.

Nintendo disappearing from non-online retail is in no way a good thing, no matter how you try to spin it.

Its not good and its not spin, but in the last 2 years all of the supermarkets near me have dramatically reduced their entire gaming sections.

My local Tescos in particular has reduced its entire 'entertainment' section in favour of clothing and toys instead.

DVDs used to have 2 whole aisles, they now share one with CDs and books.

AOC83

Banned
Laugh all you want, but the industry as a whole is down. GTAV being a huge success doesn't change that. People won't buy a console for three games - they buy the games because they already have the platforms they run on.

The only thing that is down is the casual bloat brought into the console industry by the Wii. The core part is doing as fine as ever.

Coxy

it's been like that here in ireland for quite a while, they have one wii u and a copy of nintendoland on the bottom shelf

Dukey

Banned
Still amazed. Nintendo had a year all to themselves being the hot new machine and they pissed it all away.

in Gamestop here in California, i almost missed the WiiU section lol It was crammed in the back in the corner. There was more Wii stuff than WiiU. The PC section is just as bad, just a small section left :(

Rich!

it's been like that here in ireland for quite a while, they have one wii u and a copy of nintendoland on the bottom shelf

That reminds me.

Pretty much all of the Wii U games in CEX are around the £10-£15 mark. Ideal for anyone who wants the select few must haves there.

wsippel

Banned
Seriously lmao... GTA 5 just set the record in 3 days on just 2 consoles. You probably play Nintendo games only I guess.
You know, maybe you should leave the thinking (and guessing) to horses - they have a bigger head after all.

GTAV's sales prove nothing. Millions of people already have PS3s and 360s and buy games for it - that's not really surprising and completely irrelevant. And for the record: I'm mostly a PC gamer, but I also own all consoles. Want my PSN ID or Live Gamertag?

hatchx

Banned
Nintendo, you dun gone fucked up.

In Sept.2011, Nintendo held a brilliant conference that, IMO, turned the 3DS around. They fuckin' need to do that now for WiiU. It's like they have no clue how to appeal to gamers outside of Japan.

Do you honestly believe that the industry has contracted to the point where all consoles will sell worse than the gamecube? Because that's how badly the Wii U is doing. There will be some contraction, but not nearly as badly as you're hoping to help explain away Wii U's poor sales.

AOC83

Banned
You know, maybe you should leave the thinking (and guessing) to horses - they have a bigger head after all.

GTAV's sales prove nothing. Millions of people already have PS3s and 360s and buy games for it - that's not really surprising and completely irrelevant. And for the record: I'm mostly a PC gamer.

You´re a extremely salty Nintendo "fan". Which makes your "predictions" even more funny.

Hystzen

GTAV's sales prove nothing. Millions of people already have PS3s and 360s and buy games for it - that's not really surprising and completely irrelevant. And for the record: I'm mostly a PC gamer.

u wot m8

GTAV sales are ridiculous for a multiplatform game it crushed everything before hand it never been done before

a game being released on both 360 or PS3 does not = better sales

Top Bottom