• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Nintendo Shelf Space Severely reduced in Tesco - Now part of 360 Section

Madao

it looks like the Wii U is going to be Nintendo's Saturn. came off of a highly sucessful predecessor and didn't even get its name known before being dropped everywhere outside japan.

Vashetti

Banned
Exactly the same in all my local Tesco stores, just relegated to a small corner.

5djrPyw.jpg

vSHIN0P.jpg

What do you expect to happen when PS4 and XB1 are also competing for shelf space?

PS3 and 360 will still have shelf space because those are still selling comfortably.

Something's gotta give.

Cess007

Laugh all you want, but the industry as a whole is down. GTAV being a huge success doesn't change that. People won't buy a console for three games - they buy the games because they already have the platforms they run on.

Just like people didn't bought a 360 to play Gears, or didn't bought a PS3 to play MGS4, or didn't just bought a WiiU to play Wind Waker? Just as you say, the success of one game doesn't mean all the industry is going up, the failure of one console doesn't mean they're all going down.

That's like saying that the Vita is evidence of the handheld marked is dead, when were're seeing the 3DS sell like hotcakes in Japan, and being top selling in US.

Rich!

it looks like the Wii U is going to be Nintendo's Saturn. came off of a highly sucessful predecessor and didn't even get its name known before being dropped everywhere outside japan.

Was that the case here in the UK?

I can't actually remember who won out of the SNES and Mega Drive - all I know is that not a single one of my mates had a Mega Drive. We were all team SNES.

That doesn't explain why the 3DS is being treated in the same matter despite the fact that it's the best selling hardware in every region. Something shady is going on.

jeffers

You´re a extremely salty Nintendo "fan". Which makes your "predictions" even more funny.

oh wow your contributions are amazing.... f-ing hate antagonisers.

on topic: ill take a picture next time im in tescos of the whole shelf. its a town sized store so pretty average size. Shame about this negative cycle, think it cuts off a lot of 'mothers and girlfriends' purchasing of games

Rich!

you mean the same people who care far too much about graphical power and sales?

The Wii U is fucking dead in the UK. No amount of forum whining is going to change that, or make it move obvious than it already is.

The 3DS is doing alright though. Luigi's Mansion did very well.

ascii42

You know, maybe you should leave the thinking (and guessing) to horses - they have a bigger head after all.

GTAV's sales prove nothing. Millions of people already have PS3s and 360s and buy games for it - that's not really surprising and completely irrelevant. And for the record: I'm mostly a PC gamer, but I also own all consoles. Want my PSN ID or Live Gamertag?

When your argument is that console gaming is dead, how could sales of a new console game possibly not be relevant?

Rich!

It is cheap and has a lot of great games.
IMHO, still a nice deal.

I would kill for a new PS2 Slim with HDMI output for £50 or so. It'd be amazing.

Have space for an HDD and access to the PSN for proper PS2 downloads (not just the paltry PS Store selection of currently emulated titles). Yessss.

I noticed the same in my local Tesco Extra. They had cut it down to 3ds and a tiny bit of wii. The vita section had gone completely too.

It was all 360, ps3 and a little pc.

SmokyDave

That doesn't explain why the 3DS is being treated in the same matter despite the fact that it's the best selling hardware in every region. Something shady is going on.
Go back to the last page and check out the 3DS software figures. It might move hardware, but the software sales are nothing to shout about.

Is Nintendo's marketing significantly different in europe than the US? Because the 3DS failing alongside the Wii U in the UK while it does so much better in the other regions of the world is really strange, making me wonder if there's something wrong with the way the entire brand's perceived in the UK.

The Saturn analogy is looking closer to the Xbone than the WiiU.
Underpowered, over priced, weird ass architecture.
Just swap the "only one country gives a shit" from Japan to North America.

Just like people didn't bought a 360 to play Gears, or didn't bought a PS3 to play MGS4

You must have missed the NPDs where that did not in fact really happen.

Radec

Laugh all you want, but the industry as a whole is down. GTAV being a huge success doesn't change that. People won't buy a console for three games - they buy the games because they already have the platforms they run on.

Oh we are still laughing at you. Dont worry about that.

lol

Rich!

Is Nintendo's marketing significantly different in europe than the US? Because the 3DS failing alongside the Wii U in the UK while it does so much better in the other regions of the world is really strange, making me wonder if there's something wrong with the way the entire brand's perceived in the UK.

The Nintendo brand has been perceived exactly the same since the N64. The only blip in the timeline (the casual gamer explosion) is unlikely to ever happen again.

Only chavs buy games from Tesco.

What a fucking stupid comment. What it you don't have a Game or Blockbuster nearby, and thus supermarkets are the only viable choice for games from a retail store? What if you're shopping on a Friday night and decide to shove the new release in your basket? What if they actually do competitive prices?!

Nope, no excuses. Obviously just chavs.

Rich!

My local tesco has a pretend Vita that's hooked up to the display. Someone drew a cock on the screen last time I saw it

dunno if it's been removed or not

What a fucking stupid comment. What it you don't have a Game or Blockbuster nearby, and thus supermarkets are the only viable choice for games from a retail store? What if you're shopping on a Friday night and decide to shove the new release in your basket? What if they actually do competitive prices?!

Nope, no excuses. Obviously just chavs.

I went to Tesco at 3am the other day to buy some lunch to take to work (I start at 5am), and I could have brought a copy of GTA V along with it.

at 3 in the fucking morning. It's like, the ultimate convenience.

The Nintendo brand has been perceived exactly the same since the N64. The only blip in the timeline (the casual gamer explosion) is unlikely to ever happen again.

Sure, but what I'm asking is why it's percieved differently in the UK compared to other regions. The 3DS is doing good to great in other locations.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I really don't know how Nintendo thought they could get away with the post launch drought. It was devastating to the 3DS, given that the Wii had been dead for two years they had to have a full slate of software ready to follow the launch.

Like Vita, Wii U numbers were OK at launch given the shitty marketplace, but the lack of software was killer. People buy hardware to play games, if Nintendo knew the games weren't ready they shouldn't have launched the console.

I can't speak for the state of 3DS here, but Wii U is totally dead, was dead a while ago. Nothing will save it now, the launch of PS4/XBO will be the final nail in the coffin. This thing is dead faster than GameCube.

Well done, Nintendo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Go back to the last page and check out the 3DS software figures. It might move hardware, but the software sales are nothing to shout about.

Look at the revenue figures posted in the PAL threads: PC sales are due to cheap-ass prices for games, while 3DS titles have much higher average-price, and then, despite selling less last month, in a month where 3DS didn't have relevant releases, while PC had titles like Saints Row 4, the handheld generated a much bigger revenue: something like less than 2 millions v.s. more than 3 millions.

Pain

Banned
You know, maybe you should leave the thinking (and guessing) to horses - they have a bigger head after all.

GTAV's sales prove nothing. Millions of people already have PS3s and 360s and buy games for it - that's not really surprising and completely irrelevant. And for the record: I'm mostly a PC gamer, but I also own all consoles. Want my PSN ID or Live Gamertag?
GTA V sales are proof that this industry is far from dead. PS4s amazing pre-order numbers are proof as well.

wsippel

Banned
When your argument is that console gaming is dead, how could sales of a new console game possibly not be relevant?
A game is a $60 investment. The main investment, the one for the system itself, already happened long ago for most customers. Millions of people buying GTAV for a system they already own doesn't mean the same people will buy millions of consoles to play GTAVI at some point.

JazzmanZ

GTA V sales are proof that this industry is far from dead. PS4s amazing pre-order numbers are proof as well.

GTA V sales are proof that gaming is just going to get crappier when several big wigs try to over budget their own games to get GTA V numbers.

Top Bottom