• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT3| - Strong and Stable Government? No. Coalition Of Chaos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

Austerity is basically Cameron's legacy at this point. That and leaving the EU. It's part of why I can't stand George Osborne's smugness - a lot of why the Tories, and the country, are in trouble at this point is his doing, and he doesn't care as long as he gets to publish funny pictures of the woman who sacked him.

At this point I have no sympathy for any Conservative MP, every single one of them have been part of the worst British government in recent times.

They have been there smiling and cheering as they condemn thousands of disabled people to die when forced back to work. There when Austerity has almost broken every single major public service around, all with the immediate selling off of NHS buildings about to arrive.

All the stuff they have and continue to do has been supported by every MP in that party and I don’t think I could ever forgive them. This isnt slightly disagreeing with someone’s favourite film but you let it slide because its not a big deal, we are talking about policies that result in suffering and death yet nothing gets in their way of party over country.

Hazzuh

DD9DsO3XsAA5IRZ.jpg

I have some respect for Andrea Leadsom's ability to have the same confidence of a mediocre white male who doesn't know what the actual limit of their abilities is. Like, it's that same confidence of 'I can do this' as the legendary Gove vs the Aliens.

Obviously that respect goes completely under the 'don't treat running the country like a fucking game' principle, but yeah.

jelly

Is this the deficit actually a big problem and are tax revenues too low to fund public services then how is lowering the deficit a solution if you aren't increasing tax revenues to fund public services and infrastructure spending? Surely that's just kicking the can down the road while not focusing on the real problem. If they are going to go down the road of saving money why don't they rework services so they aren't wasteful, stop hiring private firms to fill gaps at many times the price. A good example, why pay someone hundreds of pounds to fix a street light when you had a local public engineer on a decent wage all year round who just buys the replacement for buttons. Better economy, more tax revenue which you reinvest so more workers, better industry, more tax revenue to spend. Why isn't that their plan?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Is this the deficit actually a big problem and are tax revenues too low to fund public services then how is lowering the deficit a solution if you aren't increasing tax revenues to fund public services and infrastructure spending? Surely that's just kicking the can down the road while not focusing on the real problem. If they are going to go down the road of saving money why don't they rework services so they aren't wasteful, stop hiring private firms to fill gaps at many times the price. A good example, why pay someone hundreds of pounds to fix a street light when you had a local public engineer on a decent wage all year round who just buys the replacement for buttons. Better economy, more tax revenue which you reinvest so more workers, better industry, more tax revenue to spend. Why isn't that their plan?

The Tory plan is to poison the public mood against paying taxes for failing services so that eventually they can sell them all off and not have to worry about it any more.

Case by case should be the default position tbh

Yup. "No deals" is just cowardice. Why even bother producing a manifesto and campaigning on those promises if you refuse outright to work with anyone that would let you deliver any of it?

Uzzy

Exactly. If the Tories put forward good legislation that meets with other parties demands, then of course it should be considered and backed if appropriate, especially if changes can be extracted. Obstruction just for obstructions sake would be rather pointless.

Exactly. If the Tories put forward good legislation that meets with other parties demands, then of course it should be considered and backed if appropriate, especially if changes can be extracted. Obstruction just for obstructions sake would be rather pointless.
But whats confusing about all this is that if this is how their deal will be there was no need mentioning it in the first place. Labour have said themselves that if the Tories put forward policies they agree with they would work with them.

The fact this is getting mentioned is either A) attempts to make Lib Dems look bad or B) there is more to it than 'we wont automatically vote against you'.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40496778

Saudi Arabia has 'clear link' to UK extremism, report says

Saudi Arabia is the chief foreign promoter of Islamist extremism in the UK, a new report has claimed.
The Henry Jackson Society said there was a "clear and growing link" between Islamist organisations in receipt of overseas funds, hate preachers and Jihadist groups promoting violence.
The foreign affairs think tank called for a public inquiry into the role of Saudi Arabia and other Gulf nations.

Endorsing the report, Labour MP Dan Jarvis said it shed light on "very worrying" links between Saudi Arabia and the funding of extremism and he called for the government to release its report on foreign funding.
"In the wake of the terrible and tragic terrorist attacks we have seen this year, it is vital that we use every tool at our disposal to protect our communities," he said.
"This includes identifying the networks that promote and support extremism and shutting down the financial networks that fund it."

How long do they think they can keep this report hidden?

Im pleased that it seems to be gaining traction again as i was worried it would get forgotten. They just look so guilty considering they were meant to release the report.

"We will do research on who helps terrorists who kill our people!"
*reads report, gets flashbacks of £3b arms deal*
"Oh that report, yeeeaahh we arent releasing it now, bye"

Spuck-uk

Banned
I thought this was particularly funny, excerpt from a book written by an insider on the conservative leader nominations:

"[Gove’s] set of friends agreed he wasn’t the man for the job, saying he was not worldly enough, and claiming, ‘This is the man who had to be stopped trying to unblock his loo with a hoover.’"

That's exactly what we pledged before the election anyway - we'd be a constructive opposition, but we're not going to keep any party in power (no pacts, supply and confidence arrangements, coalitions etc). As others have said, it's a bit pointless to be elected as MPs and then not fight for the government to do things. Nobody votes for obstructionist parties outside of Northern Ireland.

And yeah Gove only ran for Tory leader to scupper Boris. I think I remember Boris being told at his leadership launch that Gove was running and then deciding (I think it might even have been as bonkers as mid-speech?) to not run.

Dougald

My guess is he used it as an excuse not to hold the Brexit chalice, while sniping from the sidelines as he's always done. Probably one of the only smart things May ever did was put him in the cabinet to stop that

And yeah Gove only ran for Tory leader to scupper Boris. I think I remember Boris being told at his leadership launch that Gove was running and then deciding (I think it might even have been as bonkers as mid-speech?) to not run.

It was before Boris' launch, but not mid-speech. You can see it in the quite fun bitchy docudrama, Theresa v Boris: How May Became PM on the iPlayers http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08w29jm/theresa-v-boris-how-may-became-pm?suggid=b08w29jm

Uzzy

May finally defended the Tories economic record during PMQ's today. Shame for her that she shot their entire argument down when they signed the DUP deal.

H1PSTER

Watching PMQ's and she's trying to go on the finance route to talk down Labour but everything they pledged is costed so I don't understand why she thinks it'd work.

Because Gove had promised Boris that his friends in the party would back him. If Gove was standing himself then obviously that wasn't happening
But why would Boris so clearly need Gove's 'friends'? They amounted to, at most, 48 members, who would all inevitably back whichever of them made it past the first round. Are you trying to tell me that Gove, who came behind Andrea Leadsom, was more popular than Boris in the Conservative party?

The LD chief whip has strong words on these recent "LD secret talks with Tories" stories:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/alistair...ruth-about-those-secret-tory-talks-54814.html

... when I read in the Times yesterday that Tim Farron's chief of staff Ben Williams had met with his No 10 counterpart Gavin Barwell last Thursday I took it with a pinch of salt. Not least because I knew that Ben was in Leeds on Thursday.

What actually happened was that on Tuesday in Portcullis House, the large shopping centre-style atrium on the parliamentary estate where MPs, staff, journalists and visitors mingle, get coffee, have informal meetings and things like that, Ben bumped into Mr Barwell, with whom he was previously acquainted. The conversation was polite, friendly even. They made small talk. They went their separate ways.

Reports of that meeting then somehow again found their way to the press – via Number 10 we believe – by which time the casual encounter was transformed into some kind of secretive quasi-negotiation about helping Theresa May's struggling minority government to pass legislation.

It was utter bollocks. Pointless, distracting and annoying bollocks. Are you getting the idea here?

Maybe it is just the heat of the Westminster summer or maybe it is the general uselessness of this minority Conservative Government and the people around it or maybe it is a combination of the two. Frankly I don't really care because it is still bollocks.

So don't believe everything you read in the papers. If you see a story like this then have a look at the Lib Dem Press Office Twitter feed. They are usually pretty sharp off the mark and to the point. On this point they made it pretty clear that the story was untrue.

Tim Farron made clear repeatedly throughout the election campaign that we would form no coalitions and do no deals of any kind to prop up either Theresa May's Conservatives or Jeremy Corbyn's Labour. Every single Lib Dem MP backs him and every single one agrees.

stuiggs07

Neo Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40506109

Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg has named his sixth child Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher.
The backbencher announced the new arrival on Instagram, where attention focused on the eye-catching name.
The name Sixtus is shared with five popes, most recently in 1590.
"Helena and I announce with great joy that we have a baby Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher, a brother for Peter, Mary, Thomas, Anselm and Alfred." Mr Rees-Mogg said.

Poor child....

Mr. Sam

Gove and Johnson were the Brexit brothers and had the same well of support - they didn't need each other's friends; they had the same friends. Gove's decision to run for leader was designed to split that support and ensure that neither of them could be leader. It was basically a murder-suicide. In short:

gcmLo6l.jpg

Gove and Boris were the Brexit brothers and had the same well of support - they didn't need each other's friends; they had the same friends. Gove's decision to run for leader was designed to split that support and ensure that neither of them could be leader. It was basically a murder-suicide. In short:

gcmLo6l.jpg
But that makes no sense in the context of how the Conservative leadership election works. The candidates get eliminated one at a time, so as long as Boris was preferential to Gove overall, Gove being in the race should have meant nothing to Boris. I really think a lot of people have been fed a story here and are taking it as fact without examining it.

Morat

Banned
It's ok, the child will get 1/6th share of about 80% of Somerset so he can afford to pay for a deed poll change. Although Rees-Mogg does seem the type to stick to inheritance only passing to the eldest boy.

Which do you reckon he follows, Agnatic, Agnatic-Cognatic or Absolute Cognatic law?

Edit -

Actually, its blatantly Gavelkind

Nice use of bollocks by the LD chief whip. It does seem to be a non-story where people try to spin "we'll support any bills we agree with" as somehow "doing a deal".
Labour regularly vote for government bills (even a lot of bad ones), so perhaps they should have headlines about supporting the Tories on a case by case basis. They even whipped for brexit for fucks sake.

When will Cameron call me greedy for wanting a lil more benefits?

You post on GAF so you must have a computer or smart phone.
In the eyes of the Tories, this means you have plenty of money to waste on "luxury" items, so why should they subsidise your "frivolous" lifestyle!
keep fucking that pig, Cameron

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Which do you reckon he follows, Agnatic, Agnatic-Cognatic or Absolute Cognatic law?

Edit -

Actually, its blatantly Gavelkind

Probably not gavelkind, since that was outlawed under the Normans (and wasn't really equivalent to the German model even under the Anglo-Saxons).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom