• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: PS4 sales triple thanks to PS4 launch

Solid numbers for the Pro and it just increases the scope of the Playstation family - PS4, Slim and Pro.

Going to be interesting to see what sells more in the coming weeks ahead.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I have high hopes of the PS4 Pro settling in the market as the new 'default' PS4 unit.

I mean, the 100$ difference between it and the PS4 Slim is a no-brainer for the kind of hardware you receive.

I have high hopes of the PS4 Pro settling in the market as the new 'default' PS4 unit.

I mean, the 100$ difference between it and the PS4 Slim is a no-brainer for the kind of hardware you receive.

Well, $100 difference + no bundles games.

Pro needs to bundle games sooner rather than later if it wants to be the default.

MS slashed the xbone price for 70 pounds? They are going to take a beating in the financial report for this holiday quarter if they continue like this.

Well the Xbox Division is but a drop in the Microsoft earnings ocean, Redmond are probably barely aware it even exists at this point.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...nd-xbox-one-machines-sold-in-the-uk-last-week

PS4 Sold over 65k (over 40k Pro) - £20m Revenue
XBO Sold 45k - £9m Revenue.

Based on that revenue split, a seriously large proportion of Xbones sold were discounted OG models. Seems like a good indicator that UHD blu-ray is far less of a sales driver than it would initially appear, and what sales for the platform are going to look like once all the old stock has drained from the channel.

panda-zebra

Let's see if we can figure this, roughly.

<snip>

That lines up the PS4 selling 44% more than the XB1 and 51k looks very reasonable for the Pro. Of course these numbers might not be accurate at all and might be higher but it gives an idea on how much each system might have sold last week. A very healthy week for console sales and a good opening for Pro.

Roughly the same kinds of numbers I tossed around (mine were a bit lower actually).

50k for a refresh console opening week is good numbers, especially considering it's on sale alongside the now standard slim model.

Some mindless non-context: ps4 - the UK's fastest selling console - sold 250k, xb1 sold 150k at new current gen launch (matching the Wii U's whole first year IIRC). Not bad to sell 1/5 and 1/3 of those machines' opening weeks with their year-long hype and pent-up demand after a near decade-long gen.

And we at least know each of these consoles was sold to meet the needs of gamers, not as a cheapest available UHD player
lol, sorry!

EDIT: OK, real numbers above. So 1/6 and 1/4 of px4/xb1 launch numbers.

Ok I'm lost &#129300;&#129300;why would ppl buy this it doesn't even have an ultra blue ray player!!!!! /s.

Seriously tho I'm getting mine on Friday.
I welcome our Sony overlords and the inevitability of a mid gen refresh from here on out.

GHG

So Power > Price then?

It remains to be seen but I think that may well be the case. If this and the Scorpio prove to be long term successes by contininuously outselling the "old" SKU then I think these mid-gen premium refreshes will become a permanent fixture.

It seems to work for most other consumer electronic devices so I don't see why that wouldn't be the case for consoles anymore. Consumers are no longer adverse to spending a lot of money on electronics like they once were.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So Power > Price then?

Not really.

The PS4 was sold for 399$ for years and it flew off shelves with that price. So the pricing of the Pro doesn't feel like a price hike. I hope it establishes itself in the market like it's the new standard model PS4.

If the Pro was more powerful than it is currently and sold at, say, 499$, I don't think it would sell well.

It remains to be seen but I think that may well be the case. If this and the Scorpio prove to be long term successes by contininuously outselling the "old" SKU then I think these mid-gen premium refreshes will become a permanent fixture.

It seems to work for most other consumer electronic devices so I don't see why that wouldn't be the case for consoles anymore. Consumers are no longer adverse to spending a lot of money on electronics like they once were.

I think price perception still plays a big role. I don't think Scorpio can get away with a higher-than-expected pricepoint.

panda-zebra

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...nd-xbox-one-machines-sold-in-the-uk-last-week

Huh, so MS would have had to have sold 100k units to match Sony's revenue last week. And in terms of actual profit... well who knows, but those £180 sales were more likely a negative I'd have thought considering the bundled software included vs the original near-break-even RRP of the units themselves.

So Xbox One November - 69K
PS4 November - 86K

Black Friday will decide the winner.

If those numbers are correct I was wrong - ps4 still behind Sept + Oct + start of Nov.

Kysen

Slashing prices that much to bolster numbers and lose more per unit? Wheres that image with the dude in the shop saying "we'll make it up in volume" and "lets have a potion sale". I'm expecting the same to happen in the US but it seems like a strategy to only generate positive headlines.

Tycho_b

That gives an average price for PS about 305£
and 200£ for XB1

I know whose accountants are happier. It won't continue this way,for sure when the launch dust settles but one of the points of bringing PRO was to provide a refresh to hardware to interested people and stop an average price from falling down.

DBT85

I thought it would do better during launch week tbh as it's more than just a standard slim revision.

For a revision that people keep saying has barely been advertised 40k ain't bad. And its 40k at a higher price than a slim revision would be too.

Slashing prices that much to bolster numbers and lose more per unit? Wheres that image with the dude in the shop saying "we'll make it up in volume" and "lets have a potion sale". I'm expecting the same to happen in the US but it seems like a strategy to only generate positive headlines.

and to get people on your platform, as PSN revenue Numbers have shown digital stores are where the money is.

and to get people on your platform, as PSN revenue Numbers have shown digital stores are where the money is.

While true, I always feel that Sony is far more reluctant to bundle a "lot" of games with its console without a price hike because of said platform reason as well.

Software sales data released by Sony suggest that attach rate per console per console is around 6 games. If you bundle 3-4 games out the gate, you almost effectively cut down the purchasing potential of your audience by half when you already fill it 50% of the average console owner's library with free games.

bombshell

That revenue difference!

6jZmVW0.gif

jayu26

I am not fully convinced that slashing the price that much is going to bring in the crowd that goes out and spends money on digital library. They will have to combine slashing of hardware price with slashing of digital software price to accomplish that. Even then I am not convinced that crowd buying consoles at £180 with three games spends that much on video gaming to begin with.

TissueBox

These upgraded consoles definitely coughing up some dough for Sony, this is neck and neck. Or at least might be, we'll see by the end of the year.

EGM1966

MS need to stay as relevant as possible in US and UK until Scorpio. That's their real chance at changing status quo. Thus I suspect right now their focus is trying to keep market share and momentum going vs making money.

XB1 (OG & S) are going to be agreesivelt bundles particularly during peak holiday periods until Scorpio I believe.

Letting Sony gain a strong lead with Pro on top of PS4 would give Scorpio a very big mountain to climb at market.

UHD players are not driving demand for XB1 nor some of the odd ideas put forward. Extremely low pricing is. Latest bundles deliver really strong value for under £200.

That said, this approach might hurt pricing options on Scorpio unless MS can really highlight value at launch.

The 4 games cost £116.27, leaving an xbox one at £62.73.

Yeah was going to buy this, but do not have enough time to game on my PS4 (soon to be Pro) never mind another console. The down side of having a 9 month old at home!

There was also a deal last week for an Xbox One Elite console (one with elite controller) and a game for £200. Considering the Elite controller goes for over £100 there were plenty of great deals last week.

Outrun

That is what I am thinking. If you're going to get a PS4, it should be a Pro.

Sony is selling Pro at a profit and Slim at an even bigger profit.
Microsoft is basically incurring into inventory loss here to get rid of old units that are still around.
A profit could be anything from £2 per Pro to £30 per slim. As I said. Microsoft could have 10m in revenue and be making relative pennies.

Sony are not making much profit on the Pro.

Sony made $18 per PS4 at launch. They have more tech in this console and you expect them to make a lot of cheddar?

Its all about dem MAU's.

Top Bottom