• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK's top 50 best selling games of 2014 [Update: Now Top 100]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
UK top 10

Germany top 10

lol at the guys complaining about 2 FIFA/CoDs in top 10, or the FIFA/CoD/GTA top 3

Yeah, FIFA / COD / AC / GTA are big, if not massive everywhere, it's not just a UK-exclusive. What I'd define as a UK exclusive is that whatever goes out of those franchises and relative genres sell probably far worse (relative to the market size) compared to other European markets (I'd say US as well). So, Nintendo games and Japanese-style games usually sell far better (again, relative to the markets) in other countries than UK.

There's also to consider the fact that UK market is seriously price-driven, with prices going down usually pretty quickly even for pretty good sellers, except for Nintendo / Japanese-style games (most of the times), though. But it's a con-cause, not the only cause for this difference.

Someone needs to tell the folks over at Nintendo that there's no shame in giving your game a price cut. Or they could just remain steadfast in their refusal to "devalue" a product and continue to become increasingly irrelevant in the UK.

Wouldn't even be that much of a problem, but hey wouldn't you know it, all their hardware is region locked these days.

14. THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEO GAME
16. LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES
18. LEGO BATMAN 3: BEYOND GOTHAM
39. LEGO THE HOBBIT
64. LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES
75. LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA
86. LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS
100. LEGO PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN

People sure love lego, good for WB.

Holyshit 8 Lego games in top 100. One almost 4 years old even.

Menome

A quick cheap and cheerful breakdown of exclusives on that list.

'Exclusives' are exclusive to one device only: Driveclub, The Sims 4 etc.

'Company Exclusives' are exclusive to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo on consoles: Titanfall, Smash Bros., both Minecraft editions etc.

'Multi-Platform' for the rest.

HYbJP5h.png

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah, it's sad. But Konami really only have themselves to blame.

I think Konami need to bring back ISS (arcadey football). PES decline is huge and even their "omg fox engine all new seabass-less PES 2015" failed to get the old fans back (also PES2015 online was broken for weeks after the release). going head to head with FIFA is pointless but trying something that new will be new and fresh like arcadey football game like ISS64/ISS98 might get the interest of many people.

Menome

I'm also surprised that other people are surprised about Bayonetta 2 not making the list. People have to actually own the console first before they can buy the game, no matter how good it is and the Wii U is not a big-seller at all over here.

Thought it would be interesting to look at the top software from the days of yore.

Top Ten from 2006.

FIFA 07
Pro Evolution Soccer 6
Need For Speed: Carbon
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
The Sims 2 Pets
Cars
Tomb Raider: Legend
The Sims 2
WWE Smackdown! Vs Raw 2007

PES, PC physical retail, two THQ games.
No Activision or Ubisoft...

barit

Ouch it seems Sunset Overdrive bombed pretty hard worldwide when it even can't break the Top50 in the second biggest market for Xbone. Insomniac will not be happy :/

Tough year for Nintendo. I wonder how Sega feels about Alien Isolation, I think it's a decent performance but then I see it was outsold by Thief... Ground Zeroes probably performed quite well digitally right?

Glad to see people's love affair with the Sims waning. Doesn't seem like Ubisoft shows much sign of slowing down despite their troubled launches.
Ouch it seems Sunset Overdrive bombed pretty hard worldwide when it even can't break the Top50 in the second biggest market for Xbone. Insomniac will not be happy :/
Heavily bundled game, too.

Someone needs to tell the folks over at Nintendo that there's no shame in giving your game a price cut. Or they could just remain steadfast in their refusal to "devalue" a product and continue to become increasingly irrelevant in the UK.

Wouldn't even be that much of a problem, but hey wouldn't you know it, all their hardware is region locked these days.

That ship has sailed when it comes to the U, my friend.

We don't have data about digital purchases and bundles,though

Aren't the top 3 games on this list still being sold for full price? I don't think price cuts are gonna save the system

Hasney

Why is nobody using this excuse for the other games?

For a whole month you couldn't even buy a console without GTAV.

Well we've got the weeklies. Did GTA V drop in the charts in a big way before being bundled and getting a resurgence then?

We don't have data about digital purchases and bundles,though

This includes bundles though if it's a physical disc. IIRC, SO was a disc.

Menome

As much as I try to avoid the idea of "cultural divides" these days, it really does seem that despite the gameplay, the humour of Sunset Overdrive was a key turning-off point in the U.K. going by some of the reviews and completely anecdotal points raised by people on various sites.

Kill3r7

Because DC is not selling that well anywhere else. It's also not doing that well in digital sales if we are to go by the NA and EU PSN top downloads list. Ergo it must be the bundles.

gelf

Tough year for Nintendo. I wonder how Sega feels about Alien Isolation, I think it's a decent performance but then I see it was outsold by Thief... Ground Zeroes probably performed quite well digitally right?

Glad to see people's love affair with the Sims waning. Doesn't seem like Ubisoft shows much sign of slowing down despite their troubled launches.

Heavily bundled game, too.

Alien might have gone down better with the PC download crowd not included in this chart. It probably fits that market more.

Not a great chart but I'm happy to see my GOTY Evil Within as high as it is.

Nearly all PS4 bundles here in the U.K, contain physical copies of Driveclub hence the good chart number.

I would not say nearly all, plenty of bundles to choose from. LBP3, FIFA + Minecraft, Destiny ad FarCry4 are all bundles I have seen recently.

Most Game bundles do not include Driveclub http://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/p...&sortBy=&merchname=topnav-_-PS4-_-newconsoles

But Driveclubs position in the chart will be down to bundles as well as being available at around £20

Nearly all PS4 bundles here in the U.K, contain physical copies of Driveclub hence the good chart number.

I would not say nearly all, plenty of bundles to choose from. LBP3, FIFA + Minecraft, Destiny ad FarCry4 are all bundles I have seen recently.

Most Game bundles do not include Driveclub http://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/p...&sortBy=&merchname=topnav-_-PS4-_-newconsoles

Bundles are over. In the run up to Christmas however, DC was very heavily bundled.

That's not to say every single bundle had a copy, but if you were looking at the most competitive and best value bundles, every single one included DC.

Percy

Banned
Top 100 now! *ctrl+F "Bayonetta"*... No results... Fuck you UK.

Also looks like XB1 exclusives really bombed this year. Owie... Better luck next year I guess...

GTAV wasn't an exclusive title, that's why.

I think Konami need to bring back ISS (arcadey football). PES decline is huge and even their "omg fox engine all new seabass-less PES 2015" failed to get the old fans back (also PES2015 online was broken for weeks after the release). going head to head with FIFA is pointless but trying something that new will be new and fresh like arcadey football game like ISS64/ISS98 might get the interest of many people.

i really don't know that they can get that back. i mean nowadays, just playing a regular game isn't enough. i haven't played pes in a while but i remember not too long ago their netcode wasn't the best so if that hasn't improved it needs to, plus game modes like UT and clubs in fifa are hugely important to me and many others, so unless they have a similar alternative in pes i think they're always gonna struggle. shame as i was a big fan during the 00's but can't see where they go from here to regain their old reputation.

Top Bottom