• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK's top 50 best selling games of 2014 [Update: Now Top 100]

nib95

Banned
I can't believe us Brits keep buying these incrementally updated releases en masse. I bought Fifa 14 (PS4) for my younger brother in law a few days back for £5 lol. The new Fifa 15 release was selling in the same shop for £45. Gave me a laugh.

Oneself

Good to see Driveclub in there, it kind of restores my faith that Evolution Studios might last long enough to make another game.

19. DRIVECLUB > 21. FORZA HORIZON 2
24. THE LAST OF US REMASTERED >27. HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION
52. LITTLEBIGPLANET 3 > 53.SUNSET OVERDRIVE

In the only other market outside the US the Xbone is relevant in? ouch thats gotta hurt.

Bruno MB

The Evil Within sold more than The Last of Us Remastered and The Crew, a rough estimate puts it around 200,000 units. Its performance in Germany is in the same ballpark since it's just two places below The Sims 4 which sold over 200,000 units.

That's around 400,000 units between these two European markets.

In the US it debuted selling 383,000 in its first month of sales, it's a safe bet to say that current LTD sales should at least be around 500,000 units.

And finally, The Evil Within sold 163,000 units in Japan (actually a little bit more since that's a figure from November).

Worldwide retail sales have comfortably exceed the million mark.

nib95

Banned
I think I'm right in saying it was Sony's only official bundle in the UK in the run up to Christmas? Conversely Microsoft had one for every big release.

Sony had several bundles in the run up to Christmas. They had GTA V, Little Big Planet 3, Far Cry 4 and Driveclub bundles. The Destiny and Watchdogs bundles were also still in stock at most etailers and retailers.

I can't believe us Brits keep buying these incrementally updated releases en masse. I bought Fifa 14 (PS4) for my younger brother in law a few days back for £5 lol. The new Fifa 15 release was selling in the same shop for £45. Gave me a laugh.

to be fair, these games have way more longevity to those that play them than your average game, hence why most people don't consider them bad value. i will generally play fifa for 7-8 months during the football season, so compared to an 8 hour single player game i might be done with in a day or 2, which one gives me more value? anyway that's just my opinion, i know there's not too many fifa fans on here lol.

Bundles are over. In the run up to Christmas however, DC was very heavily bundled.

That's not to say every single bundle had a copy, but if you were looking at the most competitive and best value bundles, every single one included DC.

I agree DriveClub was in a lot of bundles at the end of year. Best value bundles did not all include Driveclub. PS4 with GTA5, FarCry 4 and LoU for £350 was available in Nov/Dec.

Aren't the top 3 games on this list still being sold for full price? I don't think price cuts are gonna save the system

Those are all games that came out in the fall, so that's still fairly recent. The likes of Mario Kart and Donkey Kong came out earlier in the year and their prices haven't budged since, and that's how it is for practically all Nintendo games in this region. DK came out in February for chrissakes, and it's still a whopping £38 on Amazon.

And speaking of the top three, GTA V was the biggest selling video game by a wide margin in 2013, and you didn't have to wait too long to pick that up at a reduced price. I mean, I'm not really talking about saving a system here but rather about helping its prospects, and if your console is not doing too well to begin with, then refusing to budge on software prices is only going to exacerbate things. I'm not gonna buy a fucking Wii U if its only worthwhile games all cost £30+ months/years after they've come out.

EagleEyes

Top 100 now! *ctrl+F "Bayonetta"*... No results... Fuck you UK.

Also looks like XB1 exclusives really bombed this year. Owie... Better luck next year I guess...

GTAV wasn't an exclusive title, that's why.
Your posting habits are so predictable lol.

Biggest surprises are probably Wolfenstein, PvZ, and Evil Within...along with MCC selling so few, even with some bundles.

I keep hearing that TitanFall underperformed and yet, here it is again.

jesu

In the only other market outside the US the Xbone is relevant in? ouch thats gotta hurt.

Depends how you want to spin it.

6. MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION > 11. MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION
12. TITANFALL > 19. DRIVECLUB
21. FORZA HORIZON 2 > 24. THE LAST OF US REMASTERED
27. HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION > 37. INFAMOUS: SECOND SON
42. FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 > 65. GRAN TURISMO 6
53. SUNSET OVERDRIVE > 71. KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL
82. DEAD RISING 3 >
90. RYSE: SON OF ROME > 97. THE LAST OF US

offshore

... why?

It's not as if we're talking about 10+ places between your examples, are we? Sure, they blew the advantage they had with the 360, but given how poorly Xbone was received and priced at launch, I think MS will probably be quietly happy.

e. or just see jesu's post. lol

FDC1

82. DEAD RISING 3 >

except your list makes no sense relatively to his (which isn't perfect neither as LBP3 sales includes PS3 sales so we certainly have SO > PS4 LBP3)

It's just not UK you know? The same happens with madden in USA.

And poor dragon age.

LAA

How very depressing. The first three were easily predictable, (Though I do feel GTA deserves its place in particular). Two Fifas in the top 10...
Just have to accept the casual market makes up most of the sales it seems.

As long as it doesnt affect the type of games being made, (Which so far, I find more games are interesting me this gen atm), I don't really care what mkes up the most sales.

TomShoe

Banned

82. DEAD RISING 3 >

- Minecraft counts as 360/XBO vs PS3/4, which has a larger install base
- Shooter vs. Racer
- Cross-gen title vs. Exclusive
- XBO title vs. PS3 title
- 2014 title vs. 2013 title
- DR vs. Mystery title
- 2013 XBO title vs. 2013 PS3 title

ok sure

A lot of these don't make sense. Needs more direct comparisons.

DieH@rd

Banned
59. ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES

5CeT3QG.gif

Jburton

Banned
Thief sold more than Alien Isolation? Come on people!

As a digital focused title Driveclub selling more at retail than FH2 ain't gonna please some although if this counts bundles that should soften the blow.

Overall pretty much as you'd expect I guess.

Horizon was bundled as well.

This has to be performing below expectations even though Phil Spencer said it was selling great.

It won't be worth making a sequel at this point. It only has appeal in one market and even then...it was bundled so we don't know if people actually will stick with it as a franchise.

It is bad luck for Insomniac considering if they'd stuck with Sony as their ship as come in, they'd have had a stronger amount of sales this year, even if they'd put out another Ratchet game.

It won't be worth making a sequel at this point. It only has appeal in one market and even then...it was bundled so we don't know if people actually will stick with it as a franchise.

It is bad luck for Insomniac considering if they'd stuck with Sony as their ship as come in, they'd have had a stronger amount of sales this year, even if they'd put out another Ratchet game.

All depends on internal expectations and the rumblings we've heard suggest that Spencer is at least happy and I'm sure Insomniac are too. The half price deal during Christmas undoubtedly shifted some units and we've yet to see it hit £20 at most of retail, so let's not write it off completely...

The second half of your post is simply ridiculous.

All depends on internal expectations and the rumblings we've heard suggest that Spencer is at least happy and I'm sure Insomniac are too. The half price deal during Christmas undoubtedly shifted some units and we've yet to see ti hit £20 at most of retail, so let's not right it off completely...

The second half of your post is simply ridiculous.

It'll be heavily reliant on actual individual SKU sales in NA to even be remotely viable. Bundled sales don't actually make money for Microsoft as it was given away for free. Insomniac get a bit of that as a bundle bonus, but I'd be surprised if it has made budget back (including marketing).

I genuinely don't think a sequel would be a good idea given its sales thus far.

The last couple of Ratchets have been of a lower quality than their former high standards.
FUSE bombed,
Sunset isn't doing too hot.

Can't be high in confidence at Insomniac.

I hope whatever they do next does well. I like them as developers and their franchises are among my favourites.

Top Bottom