• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK's top 50 best selling games of 2014 [Update: Now Top 100]

Everything considered mainstream gaming is as sad an affair as ever. Maybe a bit sadder even. But so is mainstream music, cinema, everything. So no surprise really.

There's three things so wrong here, though, it makes me die a little:
Alien: Isolation is too low on that list.
Aliens Colonial Marines is on that list.
Boyonetta 2 didn't make the list.

Please shoot me!

It'll be heavily reliant on actual individual SKU sales in NA to even be remotely viable. Bundled sales don't actually make money for Microsoft as it was given away for free. Insomniac get a bit of that as a bundle bonus, but I'd be surprised if it has made budget back (including marketing).

I genuinely don't think a sequel would be a good idea given its sales thus far.

The last couple of Ratchets have been of a lower quality than their former high standards.
FUSE bombed,
Sunset isn't doing too hot.

Can't be high in confidence at Insomniac.

You could argue exactly the same of DC with regards to bundling and future potential.

Personal belief aside, we do know that Spencer seemed happy with sales and we do know that even if MS don't choose to push ahead with a sequel, Insomniac are free to get a different publisher on board to fund/publish the game as they own the IP.

So let's not write off a sequel based on gut feeling, especially when the game hasn't reached the price point where many people impulse purchase...

EGM1966

Horizon was bundled as well.
True. And I'd expect Plus discount meant digitally DC saw more sales too.

Install base is going to be a real challenge for MS platform centric titles in UK vs Sony platform. They at least invested relatively well in TitanFall. It's interesting to wonder what situation would have been for MS platforms in UK without that platform exclusive.

Still wish Alien was higher in list but ultimately the big popular titles will always dominate I guess.

You could argue exactly the same of DC with regards to bundling and future potential.

Personal belief aside, we do know that Spencer seemed happy with sales and we do know that even if MS don't choose to push ahead with a sequel, Insomniac are free to get a different publisher on board to fund/publish the game as they own the IP.

So let's not write off a sequel based on gut feeling, especially when the game hasn't reached the price point where many people impulse purchase...

You could do, though Driveclub has somehow managed to get some positive buzz going and is seemingly turning things around. I don't know whether Sony will go for a sequel. I thought that game was DOA.

The problem with cutting the price of the game is that it takes longer to make money.

I don't believe Spencer when he said he was happy with sales. I can't imagine he is happy with software sales overall. In fact, I would be disappointed. I thought Halo was going to do gangbusters. I really thought that, combined with the deep, deep price cuts we've had this year was going to utterly kill it this Xmas.

Looking at that list, the 'console exclusive Titanfall' did okay, but EA benefited from that. They've got Microsoft's cash and the cash from three platforms worth of consumers. They'll be even happier when it's sequel is on a platform with serious momentum.

Ouch it seems Sunset Overdrive bombed pretty hard worldwide when it even can't break the Top50 in the second biggest market for Xbone. Insomniac will not be happy :/

Its debut trailer took shots at generic military FPS (which I loved) but I guess we know who got last laughs. It's too bad.

EoinOL

No Grid Autosport ? - i knew it didnt sell well but holy crap...............
This chart has really illustrated the stupidity of releasing only on PS3 and Xbox 360 (and PC).

Games like Borderlands, the World Cup edition of FIFA, F1 2014 and Grid Autosport would (probably) have done much better if they'd had a release on the newer machines.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
100.gif
I love it when Ubi haters get mad. It reaffirms my love for their games. Watch Dogs was one of my favourite games last year. Will buy the sequel day 1. It will disgust GAF, but us Watch Dogs lovers will be happy.

In the end Watch Dogs made everyone happy. You lot got to have fun shitting all over it. We got to have fun playing an awesome game. It's win win.

I love it when Ubi haters get mad. It reaffirms my love for their games. Watch Dogs was one of my favourite games last year. Will buy the sequel day 1. It will disgust GAF, but us Watch Dogs lovers will be happy.

In the end Watch Dogs made everyone happy. You lot got to have fun shitting all over it. We got to have fun playing an awesome game. It's win win.
Where's the awesome in Watch Dogs? Didn't the hacking end up being kind of a disappointment? The story looked bad, and no one brings up if it had memorable missions. The only cool thing I have seen is humans hacking each other in the multiplayer.

EatMyFace

Banned
Where's the awesome in Watch Dogs? Didn't the hacking end up being kind of a disappointment? The story looked bad, and no one brings up if it had memorable missions. The only cool thing I have seen is humans hacking each other in the multiplayer.
Have you played it? You might want to start there.

elelunicy

The Crew did really well considering it was out in December and only had like 4 weeks of sales. Based on last week's PAL charts it's definitely going to outsell Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2.

AHA-Lambda

eh.... no.

Rolf NB

Bombalands? Is that a sign for quick abandonment of old platforms?

And what's up with Diablo 3 only hitting 66th place, I thought that game was an evergreen.

impact

Banned

This reads like a parody post btw

If it is a parody, congrats I suppose.

I don't get why people even care about the UK sales. They're the very definition of a generic market filled with generic boring people.
"Oh yeah let's buy FIFA every year"

Why do people take the UK sales seriously?

No Donkey Kong or Bayo 2? Jesus. Nintendo needs to change their strategy in the UK.

Not really this is the typical generic "gamer" in the UK

"Yeah I have an Xbox and um some games. CoD, Uhhh FIFA, Forza, Assassins Creed, GTA and this new Watch_Dogs game".
Then you'll get the obviously Nintendo hard hitter as with every generation (Throw in Mario Kart and Smash Bros)
Then the new IP that deserves to be there like Sunset Overdrive.
Don't forget to add Xbox vs PS title (Halo vs The Last of US)
And forget about anything that isn't spoon fed to your by GAME(the only retailer in the UK for games) and the marketing.

Have you played it? You might want to start there.
I did play 2 hours of it. Got bored because it was a Ubisoft open world game. Didn't find a reason to use the hacking other than making enemies' grenades explode. From what I played, the hacking didn't do much for the open world dynamics other than just look cool. So I never found the awesome.

Raist

Banned
Actual numbers via Gamekult.

FIFA 15 2,663,296
CoD: AW 1,837,025
GTAV 1,341,472 (LTD 5,011,705)
Destiny 937,235
Watch_Dogs 808,799

Total sales per platform (retail only)

360 7,283,000
PS4 6,754,000
XB1 5,635,000
PS3 4,570,000
3DS 1,887,000
PC 1,560,000
WIU 945,000
WII 651,000
NDS 480,000
PSV/PSP 408,000

CoD first year of sales:
MW 1,038,938
WaW 1,430,000
MW2 2,926,637
BO 3,266,298
MW3 2,814,609
BO2 2,672,364
G 1,991,994
AW 1,837,025

FIFA first year of sales:
08 1,546,039
09 n/a
10 2,155,697
11 2,390,231
12 2,193,302
13 2,601,877
14 2,656,763
15 2,663,296

edit: by first year, I mean from release to the end of that calendar year, not 12 months worth of sales.

Overall 2014 numbers [vs 2013]
SW (retail) - 30,200,000 [-13%]
HW - 3,500,000 [+21%]
Accessories - 24,900,000 [-1%]

It's a bit unclear whether the HW number includes handhelds. PS4+XB1 should account for ~2M.

Total value (from the 3 categories above): £2,294B [+12%]

Total value (from the 3 categories above): £2,294B [+12%]

Seems like UK finally surpased Japan as #2 biggest (tradtional) game market didn't? From what I see Japanese market was worth 369 billion yen last year which significantly less than £2,294B

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I don't get why people even care about the UK sales. They're the very definition of a generic market filled with generic boring people.

Is there a European market where FIFA doesn't chart very highly? If not at number 1.

It's COD and FIFA (or Madden) across the entire western world.

Log4Girlz

I'm surprised that a football game isn't number 1. Madden is huge in the US.

Saty

Is there some kind of data of how much bundled copies make of the total of each Cod's 1 year on the market?
Like you might say AW didn't drop that much from Ghosts (and in the US we know AW year's end total was higher than Ghosts), but if the former sold 60% of its copies in hardware bundles, and the latter only 30% then i think it's fair to say that downward slide for the franchise continues and they are only able to stem the tide by bundling the game.

Shantom

Is there some kind of data of how much bundled copies make of the total of each Cod's 1 year on the market?
Like you might say AW didn't drop that much from Ghosts (and in the US we know AW year's end total was higher than Ghosts), but if the former sold 60% of its copies in hardware bundles, and the latter only 30% then i think it's fair to say that downward slide for the franchise continues and they are only able to stem the tide by bundling the game.
From what I remember it wasn't bundled that heavily, and regardless, it sold 2 million in a single country, even heavy bundling would get it nowhere near that number on its own.

Not surprised by Driveclub, numbers will be bumped immensely by the fact that every PS4 bundle at GAME for months, has included it.

I think I sold about 3 copies of Driveclub between September and new years, and traded in about 90% of the ones we sold.

CozMick

Banned
Not surprised by Driveclub, numbers will be bumped immensely by the fact that every PS4 bundle at GAME for months, has included it.

I think I sold about 3 copies of Driveclub between September and new years, and traded in about 90% of the ones we sold.

Pretty sure other games were bundled during the holiday season, why do people single out Driveclub?

Such an Ignorant post

But Expected from you

Cue the hate for the top 5 games when other countries in europe have a similar chart!

Why single out the UK?

Top Selling games in France

1. FIFA 15 (1.265 million)
02. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
03. Grand Theft Auto V
04. Watch Dogs
05. FIFA 14

06. Minecraft
07. Tomodachi Life
08. Super Smash Bros.
09. Call of Duty: Ghosts
10. Assassin's Creed Unity

Top Selling games in Germany

01 FIFA 2015 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
03 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 FIFA 2014 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT)

06 DIABLO III: REAPER OF SOULS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
07 FAR CRY 4 (UBISOFT)
08 MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT)
09 MINECRAFT (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
10 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

Qassim

Not really this is the typical generic "gamer" in the UK

Which market isn't like this?

LegoArmo

All of the top 3 seem like solid 8/10 games or above. I don't see the big deal.

Destiny and Watch Dogs though... I guess the marketing money paid off.

Halo beating Smash is a bit surprising given it's new multiplatform status.

I wonder how high Driveclub would've charted had it come out on time, probably in the top 10!

Top Bottom