• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frantic

Karsticles said:
I get annoyed every time I don't see C. Viper OTG launch after a throw in SFIV.
Same, haha.

I always color coordinate my teams. If it's impossible to color coordinate all of them together, I feel they fail as a team and rebuild it. It's a really stupid OCD. :/

Dahbomb

Mugen Vergil is pretty crazy although MVC3 Vergil is great as well (more balanced). Mugen Dante is meh compared to MVC3 Dante.

Where's the damn Ultimate vs Norcal thread at? IT'S ALMOST HYPE TIME!!!!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
umvc3_costumes_019_38055_640screen.jpg

umvc3_week11_005_99599_640screen.jpg

a9a17ff12005ded46495a8bbac379980.jpg

Im ready for dat ultimate :p

I've never Nooneyouknow go on like that before.

Edit:
"the job of Morrigan in any given game is to disappoint the Morrigan player."

-Buk(probably someone who worked on the bradyguide)

FUUUUUUCK.gif

Dahbomb

This is the worst replay to a counter argument regarding Morrigan sucking in UMVC3:

As Buk put it to me once, "the job of Morrigan in any given game is to disappoint the Morrigan player."

Dr.Deelittle thinks Morrigan is buffed in UMVC3 despite the air dash nerf. Nooneyouknow thinks Morrigan is Hsien Ko tier bad now. Arguments ensue but it does seem there is more to the Morrigan changes than we know.

SolarPowered said:

Edit:

FUUUUUUCK.gif

Uh..buktooth worked on both guides and is a norcal cvs2 legend that had morrigan on his team in that game ;)

Grecco

SolarPowered said:

Edit:

FUUUUUUCK.gif

I liked Morrigan in MVC1

Edit:

FUUUUUUCK.gif
Yeah, Buk is one of the authors. It's short for Buktooth, i.e. the guy who figured out Doom's bnb everyone on the planet uses. He mains Dormammu/Doom; you might have noticed that the Dormammu section of the Vanilla guide is much more detailed in strategy than a lot of others. There's a reason for that. ;-)

I'm looking forward to his Ultimate discoveries with him. I'm sure he gave Dormammu a lot of love.

Dr.Deelittle thinks Morrigan is buffed in UMVC3 despite the air dash nerf. Nooneyouknow thinks Morrigan is Hsien Ko tier bad now. Arguments ensue but it does seem there is more to the Morrigan changes than we know.
Yeah, it looks like Morrigan got some buffs according to Deelite, and they translate as follows:
1) Shadow Servant off of throws (we pretty much knew this)
2) Faster Flight cancels (awesome!)

Then, the following was said:
Noone said:
Unless she got changes like considerably longer hard knockdown time/ground bounce on Vector Drain/her air throw, much faster walk speed, an Astral Vision she can actually activate mid combo or not eat a full screen beam for activating,
Deelite said:
She may have some of what you mentioned, though! :eek:
"Some" infers more than one thing. We know the Vector Drain/air throw part is true, and since her walk speed is likely unchanged, Deelite must mean that Astral Vision is much faster, like Sougenmu speed now.

koryuken

I've been training a little bit of Doom for Ulitmate. Wesker, Vergil, Doom will be a godlike tier whore team for anyone who has good execution and is able to do Doom combos. I knew the beam assist was very good MVC3... but I was OCV'ing people online with Wesker and Doom assist. Its way better then I ever expected. Heck, you may even get away with using Doom as an assist only :)

Ultimoo said:
that guy is the morrigan version of solarpowered
He's not nearly as crazy as I was lol.

Noone knows his stuff in my eyes.
El Sloth said:
Well, we tried. GG's to you and Solar.

Even if we only managed like 3 game each.
Seems like things never go very well with gaffers. I've probably had more than 3 dozen matches today and my worst stretches happen with you guys haha.

Looking forward to some uninterrupted games next time.

Dahbomb

645 made the smartest argument in that page.

Morrigan is now the only character who literally can't approach while blocking (maybe Arthur too? But he at least has superior keep away). I really don't see how a character like this is viable when her keep away isn't godlike to compensate. There must be something I am missing here, some buffs I don't know about, some properties on moves I am missing.

What is she supposed to do... normal jump/walk towards her opponent?

Grecco said:
I liked Morrigan in MVC1
I used to like her back then too, but I didn't know what the fuck I was doing in that game anyway lol.
Dahbomb said:

Morrigan is now the only character who literally can't approach while blocking (maybe Arthur too? But he at least has superior keep away). I really don't see how a character like this is viable when her keep away isn't godlike to compensate. There must be something I am missing here, some buffs I don't know about, some properties on moves I am missing.

645's argument was like -day 20 lol. Everyone and their mother freaked out the moment they heard it. The part that freaked me out was him saying that he would very likely drop Morrigan. I was mortified within three minutes of hearing the changes because I knew that no one on my team except Ammy could handle the nerf.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dahbomb said:

Seduce people to get them to come to her with their pants down around their ankles causing them to trip for a hard knockdown into free combo.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dahbomb said:

Something you're missing or something the dev team missed? Thats the real question. Cause it definitely seems certain characters had no fucks given about them.

But for real, 645 did make the smartest argument - drop Morrigan.

Dahbomb

SolarPowered said:
So basically turn everyone into Arthur.
But that would still be an unfavorable match up for her because she can't approach Arthur's zoning and even in hard knockdown she gets a hyper at best.

Something you're missing or something the dev team missed? Thats the real question. Cause it definitely seems certain characters had no fucks given about them.
Something I missed because the guy who worked on the strategy guide says Morrigan is much better than before. I am not seeing it but I don't play Morrigan so I don't know. Some of his arguments are just weak. "Morrigan weak against Dorm and other keep away characters? Meh can't win all match ups" "You want to do both rushdown and zone? Pick Magneto or a top tier" "Morrigan isn't designed to be that good because she is designed to disappoint Morrigan players" "Your ground dash is an air dash? Pretend your character doesn't have a ground dash" "Can't block during an air dash? Stop whining because you couldn't do that in previous VS games".

kunonabi

I'm not sure what to think of the air dash since I usually kept her at a range where her air dashes were fairly instant, especially her down dash. If I was farther than that I would be using assists and fireballs to cover me anyway. More damage, combos off throws, and more consistent combos should help her just fine. I didn't play with a high level of competition though so I might be missing something.

Morrigan WILL be better than before just because she can get something off of her air and command throws. That's a huge change to her. Plus her combo damage is better. I fail to see how someone could think she's worse unless they haven't been using her properly in Vanilla.

Edit: Just to be clear, she'll still be bad. :)

SolarPowered said:
You don't get Furinkazan by randomly throwing out burning fists from the other side of the stage lol.

It is intentional and you can combo into it just like Frank's pictures.

I meant it in the way that you have to collect a certain number of symbols (evidence) that don't affect you until you have them all and then do a special (FRKZ for Bang/Blue finger thing for PW) to enter a mode.

Eh...thinking more about they're both kinda like FRKZ in their way >__>

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Karsticles said:
Morrigan WILL be better than before just because she can get something off of her air and command throws. That's a huge change to her. Plus her combo damage is better. I fail to see how someone could think she's worse unless they haven't been using her properly in Vanilla.

Edit: Just to be clear, she'll still be bad. :)

Doesnt that depend on her actually getting in?

Dahbomb

How are you going to get in range for combos and throws? Morrigan would be a much better character in UMVC3... if she could block during air dash or had a real ground dash.

Oh well... woes of the lower mid/low tiers.

Ya'll need to take Sanford's advice and just pick a top tier already. Fuck the character loyalty and dive headfirst into the bliss of God tier shenanigans.

I'm totally srs right now, guys.
SolarKnight said:
I meant it in the way that you have to collect a certain number of symbols (evidence) that don't affect you until you have them all and then do a special (FRKZ for Bang/Blue finger thing for PW) to enter a mode.

Eh...thinking more about they're both kinda like FRKZ in their way >__>
You are over thinking it lol.

Dartastic

Yo where's that stream. I'm sitting in the box office and I'm bored. I can't even listen to the sick as fuck show until I get off work. =(
kirblar said:
Has anyone gotten footage of Phoenix Wright's turnabout mode assists?
Maxed out PW assist = god tier. Best in the game. BELIEVE DAT.

Doesnt that depend on her actually getting in?
Anyone who thinks Morrigan will have problems getting in because of the air dash nerf doesn't understand Morrigan. This is the normal sequence of events for getting in with her:

1) Jump.
2) Soul Fist L.
3) Fly-cancel.
4) Air dash behind Soul Fist.
5) j.S or j.H as appropriate.

Then, whether you want to mix-up, delay into a command grab, etc. is up to the player.

Few things in this game can stop a character air dashing down-forward directly behind a projectile. Those things are characters like Sentinel and Dormammu, whose normals destroy projectiles, and hypers.

Morrigan simply stands no chance against Dormammu. Every Morrigan player knows this. It's just a terrible matchup for her. Sentinel is usually zoned, and Morrigan can beat him using that strategy.

Against hypers, it's easy: cancel flight, and block. Fly-canceling for Morrigan is one single frame. Even the fastest hypers in the game, like Shinkuu Hadoken and Ice Storm post-cinematic screen, give Morrigan enough time to cancel flight during the cinematic screen and still block the hyper.

In this sense, because Morrigan should ALWAYS be approaching in Flight mode, she's actually the safest air dasher in the game. How many characters get to protect their own advance with a fireball from 3/4s screen away?

That is my short defense of Morrigan not being worse in Ultimate than she was in Vanilla. I honestly never block while approaching with Morrigan, because almost nothing beats the Soul Fist traveling next to her.

And Soul Fist's damage was buffed - yay!

*sees argument about how bad Morrigan will be*
*looks over at mutilated She hulk*

Most players of the game have a character who got BUTCHERED directly or indirectly via the changes. We just have to grin it and bare it.

Now, I need the official UMvC3 art for all the females. Have a really evil yet awesome idea for a quick photoshop.

Dahbomb

SolarPowered said:
Ya'll need to take Sanford's advice and just pick a top tier already. Fuck the character loyalty and dive kick into the bliss of God tier shenanigans.

I'm totally srs right now, guys.
Fuck character loyalty... unless your favorite character is a top tier.

Oh and fixed the bold part for more accuracy.

That Morrigan post from Karst was educational. I guess I will stop on the topic now, I don't know shit about Morrigan to talk just passing the time until Ultimate Norcal which should be up any minut enow.

crimsonspider89 said:
*sees argument about how bad Morrigan will be*
*looks over at mutilated She hulk*

Most players of the game have a character who got BUTCHERED directly or indirectly via the changes. We just have to grin it and bare it.
oh please
Dahbomb said:

More like dive PUNCH in my case lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dahbomb said:

Screw you I'll play shuma and blow people up as much as I want to!

What? It's the truth. Complaining about it won't accomplish anything until we learn about the game and then only complain about to those involved in the game process. Complaining about the changes made to a character that you main does nothing.

It really doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom