• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Red Arremer said:
Yea, I was being puzzled a bit and tried to figure out how he'd watch the video without sound, but then realized that Max usually shows off all of the changes.
Sorry Intelli!

That's okay. I should know since he had to due to timing. The game is going to release very soon. I can't really blame him.

Azure J

Dahbomb said:
New Tron is better than old Tron on point.

Genuinely curious, what makes you say this? Maybe its because I'm too stuck in the Vanilla mentality, but I wanna see it. Is it because of the Kara grab abilities and Beacon Bomb rapid fire or is it something else I should be thinking of?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Soooo, during my trip to Comic-Con in NYC, I asked one of my favorite cover artists, Eric Basaulda (e.bas) to do a sketch for me of my Marvel vs. Capcom 3 team. He tried to get it done during the con, but due to time constraints he wasn't able to finish it. He let me know that he'd be working on it and ship it to me when it was finished.

He let me know the other day that it was completed, and I think it looks phenomenal. He forwarded me a scan, and I figured I'd share it with MahvelGAF:
Capcom_sketchSMALL2.jpg

So, yeah. I'm thrilled. I can't even try to call this 11x14 beauty a "sketch."

Fuck yes to Dante's anti-air normals getting nerfed. So sick of that shit.

He let me know the other day that it was completed, and I think it looks phenomenal. He forwarded me a scan, and I figured I'd share it with MahvelGAF:
I don't like Morrigan's face (reminds me of her CvSNK2 portrait), but the rest is great.

Frantic

Dahbomb said:
Dante impressions from SRK:
Honestly, this is more or less what I've been expecting. He really, really didn't get hit with the nerf bat that hard. More like they gave him a light poke. Sure, some things will need to be adjusted, but I'm more or less fine with the changes. I've actually started laying off using the Hammer in certain situations, I had trouble with anti-air s.L anyways, and I've got like six or seven different Dante combos to try out and see what works best with the changes.

Dante is still going to be one of the best characters in the game even with all this. They did nothing to remove his REAL bullshit(the ability to pretty much negate pushblock, the chip he can deal out, the amount of things he can make safe, and the blender of mixups he can put a character into. I'm also pretty sure the removal of his double-motions is going to introduce some new bullshit.), and instead removed the 'easy' bullshit that anyone could use and abuse.

@GuardianE, that's a really awesome piece of art.

Dahbomb

Beacon bombs being able to rapidly fire like that gives her immense screen control. Much better for her to get in with.

Drill is better overall (I think on recovery) which is her best tool to get in quick. Not as great in combos of course because they had to remove the infinite.

Boulder being cancellable along with Gustaff Flame means she has more solo combo options particularly off of ground throws and command throw. This is very significant.

Kara cancel command throw combined with the fact that you can most likely do a solid combo off of it is very significant too. You can increase the range of that command throw and it's a very solid mix up now that can convert to something substantial.

The kara cancel applies to her LVL3 as well so yeah more range on that too.

2 of her hypers are mashable meaning more damage overall.

Increased damage scaling cap on specials meaning her overall damage is better from combos.

This is of course all theory fighter but that's the idealogy I am seeing behind some of these changes. The "nerfs" are all on her combos if you look closely. The Bonne Strike changes are all to remove her Bonne Strike infinite. Boulder being cancellable means you can do better combos and thus it had to be scaled back in longer combos. This isn't going to change the fact that she is going to hit you hard once she lands that hit and pump meter into you until death. J.H got nerfed but she has other normals to throw in the air and even now you can follow up j.H in the air with Drill for a combo.

The Gustaff flame nerf is really her most significant nerf but taking that aside she is more buffed overall in point game. If there is no game breaking glitch discovered in the game like DHC glitch, characters like Tron are going to be fairly valuable leading the match with their high health and solid damage output. Of course the game is more zoning friendly and air dash nerf (although I would argue that it helps her just as much as she can get hits off of random air dashers) sort of hurts her but that's all the more reason to play her up front with assists cover.

You are going to find out anyway so I am just going to say it. Vergil has better anti-air normals even when compared to vanilla Dante...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Karsticles said:

I don't like Morrigan's face (reminds me of her CvSNK2 portrait), but the rest is great.

Same here. I can't stop seeing that morrigan have pig nose.

The art is awesome and I LOVE WESKER and DANTE!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GuardianE said:
Soooo, during my trip to Comic-Con in NYC, I asked one of my favorite cover artists, Eric Basaulda (e.bas) to do a sketch for me of my Marvel vs. Capcom 3 team. He tried to get it done during the con, but due to time constraints he wasn't able to finish it. He let me know that he'd be working on it and ship it to me when it was finished.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/GuardianE/Capcom_sketchSMALL2.jpg[IMG]

So, yeah. I'm thrilled. I can't even try to call this 11x17 beauty a "sketch."[/QUOTE]
This is pretty fucking awesome. Your incredibly lucky to have someone do this for you.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
QisTopTier said:
I feel an urge to fap.

You need an arcade stick made with that art now

But I'm a pad player. :(

Karsticles said:

Good thing I like CvS2 Morrigan's portrait. :p

enzo_gt said:
This is pretty fucking awesome. Your incredibly lucky to have someone do this for you.

It wasn't cheap, but I wanted to get a piece of original art during my visit. This was the first thing to pop into my head because I actually really love all three characters.

I don't like the Dante nerfs, but I can live with them. I think the increased knockback and Killerbee nerfs were unnecessary. I think that the Beehive nerf was also unnecessary. Otherwise, I think they're pretty fair. I guess I'll just have to wait until next tuesday to see how much of a difference I feel. I only got to play a game or two during NYCC with Dante. I was playing around with the other characters.

Dahbomb

He really, really didn't get hit with the nerf bat that hard.
Of course HE didn't but any other character receiving those same nerfs would've dropped like 2 tiers. I think his biggest nerf is the push back because the way people described it (including LHK) and how I saw it on steam... that hurts him significantly on top of his decreased range. There are some aspects of Dante that got double or even triple nerfed.

Filth

GuardianE said:

Capcom_sketchSMALL2.jpg

So, yeah. I'm thrilled. I can't even try to call this 11x17 beauty a "sketch."

sick i went myself for the first time and got this done.

16ab9105.jpg

GuardianE said:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/GuardianE/Capcom_sketchSMALL2.jpg[IMG]

So, yeah. I'm thrilled. I can't even try to call this 11x17 beauty a "sketch."[/QUOTE]

Thats incredible man. Envy is an ugly shade on me

kirblar

I think Dahbomb is right in that having a high-health point character is going to be a great thing to have again, since the matches will be lasting longer and allowing more opportunity for that character to regen red life part-way through the match, and bringing a more meter-hungry secondary character on board.

You are going to find out anyway so I am just going to say it. Vergil has better anti-air normals even when compared to vanilla Dante...
Hey, one less teleporter with better zoning than all of the zoning characters is one less teleporter with better zoning than all the zoning characters.

Also, that Morrigan depiction makes her look short.

Frantic

Dahbomb said:
Of course HE didn't but any other character receiving those same nerfs would've dropped like 2 tiers. I think his biggest nerf is the push back because the way people described it (including LHK) and how I saw it on steam... that hurts him significantly on top of his decreased range. There are some aspects of Dante that got double or even triple nerfed.
The knockback is honestly the only nerf that I'm wary on. I can live with the rest - even the range decrease - but the knockback... yeah. That one bothers me a little.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Philooch said:
sick i went myself for the first time and got this done.

Awesome pickup. Goddamn, I love Venom. The real Venom. Sorry, Flash Thompson lovers. :p

Karsticles said:
Also, that Morrigan depiction makes her look short.

Well, she kind of is short. But in the picture she's flying and bending her knees, so I think it's just the angle. It wasn't an easy request because I wanted detail and I wanted all three characters in there.

SAB CA said:
That's a pretty awesome pic, GuardianE! Thanks for sharing! I'm sure every artist ends up drawing Morrigan just like... whomever their favorite sexy chick is. Why is she always so different looking (in the face) by every artist?

No Probs with Dante and Wesker, though. Wesker fits the pencilwork style to a tee, and I really like that hatchwork on Dante's trench. Very nice work there.

Thanks! E.bas gave her more of an American comic book look. Which was what I wanted, since that's what he's good at, and I think it fits in a game like Marvel vs Capcom 3. If I wanted a more faithful anime rendition, I would have asked someone like Alvin Lee (who I managed to get a Ken headsketch from anyways).

Every Western rendition of Morrigan looks like complete crap (see MvC covers). I think this one looks great. Besides, can't Morrigan turn into whatever she wants, anyways? :)

IntelliHeath said:
Same here. I can't stop seeing that morrigan have pig nose.

The art is awesome and I LOVE WESKER and DANTE!

I think it's just the fact that it's a small scan of the image. There will be more detail in her nose with the real thing. A lot of detail is obscured, I think.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That's a pretty awesome pic, GuardianE! Thanks for sharing! I'm sure every artist ends up drawing Morrigan just like... whomever their favorite sexy chick is. Why is she always so different looking (in the face) by every artist?

No Probs with Dante and Wesker, though. Wesker fits the pencilwork style to a tee, and I really like that hatchwork on Dante's trench. Very nice work there.

-----

I DO wish Max had shown Hsien-Ko's jump-cancelable normals some. The heavier hitstun after Edoga might actually lead to some ok Assit -> Sempu Bu pressure. (Wonder if Capcom gave her a top tier-DLC alt to make up for mediocre treatment? -_-; )

With Felicia, I hope I can still just Toy Touch in order to get a ground loop from her throws. Hope they didn't nerf the stun THAT much. Air Delta looks really well made, too (like the way it moves close to the opponent when used, rather than just going straight up from where it starts), looks like they put some element of care into making sure it works right.

Spencer, I hope Death from Above is actually USEFUL. If it can be used to land an easy OTG after double high Aerial Zipkicks in the corner, I'd be very happy. The ability to Super Cancel the hit is also very nice, nice to know it'w not just a slow-recovering waste. (I think he stole this move from Skrull.)

I like most of Tron's changes, but I don't really wanna say much about them until I feel them in action. How useful will Kara-throw be in Mahvel, really? I like tossing ont Servebots to stop next-character jump-in's, so easier spam of them is nice. New OTG possibilities are nice, though she could already OTG loop some on her own in lvl 3 Xfactor...

Arthur's changes are also very nice, maybe I'll be able to give him another chance now...

Most of the characters in this changelog vid were people I enjoy playing / wish to play, so it was very appreciated, and nice to watch:)

Dahbomb

Karsticles said:
Hey, one less teleporter with better zoning than all of the zoning characters is one less teleporter with better zoning than all the zoning characters.
But ... you play a teleporter who has a million health ... who zones better than most zoning characters... has one of the best anti-air moves in the game... and is way more buffed now.

Spencer, I hope Death from Above is actually USEFUL. If it can be used to land an easy OTG after double high Aerial Zipkicks in the corner, I'd be very happy. The ability to Super Cancel the hit is also very nice, nice to know it'w not just a slow-recovering waste. (I think he stole this move from Skrull.)
From the Norcal tournament, the commentator was talking about how it's better to use DFA than the Wire Grapple after an air throw because it doesn't use up your bounce allowing you to do a very meaty combo after air throws. Also you can use it after air combos but you have to use DFA in the air as soon as you press S (like how you do d+H after air combo with Skrull to get the follow up). Seth hinted at this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dahbomb said:
But ... you play a teleporter who has a million health ... who zones better than most zoning characters... has one of the best anti-air moves in the game... and is way more buffed now.
Shhh he doesn't know that yet.
*I just realized I'm going to be playing a teleporter now too LOL*

Also I wanna see firebrands dlc costume already D:

Well, she kind of is short. But in the picture she's flying and bending her knees, so I think it's just the angle. It wasn't an easy request because I wanted detail and I wanted all three characters in there.
Morrigan is 5'7". That's not short, especially for a female. No, I don't know this off the top of my head. I checked before I made the comment.

Hey, have I EVER said I like Dormammu mirror matches?! Worst thing in the world!

Part of the difference, in my mind, between Dormammu and other teleporters is that when they teleport, not only do they get in, but they STAY in, because they have really good rushdown. Dormammu's teleports are like a one-time thing. If Dante didn't have the pressure game he does, which I assume Vergil would also have, as well as Strider, Wesker, etc. I wouldn't be nearly as irritated.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
awwyeahgurrl said:
The guide is listed as 28th on amazon.co.uk. Is that right?
Comes out in NA on the 15th or earlier. Not sure what's up with the UK.

Amazon.ca doesn't even have a date for it yet. Still making me hella nervous as we get closer to release since I bundled UMvC3 in the same order.

Dahbomb

Part of the difference, in my mind, between Dormammu and other teleporters is that when they teleport, not only do they get in, but they STAY in, because they have really good rushdown. Dormammu's teleports are like a one-time thing. If Dante didn't have the pressure game he does, which I assume Vergil would also have, as well as Strider, Wesker, etc. I wouldn't be nearly as irritated.
Good point.

Although I wasn't really complaining about Dorm or anything but the original sentence just sounded weird.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Solar's avatars are progressively getting more depressing and ghastly as the days/hours pass.

*puts Solar on suicide watch*

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
Morrigan is 5'7". That's not short, especially for a female. No, I don't know this off the top of my head. I checked before I made the comment.

I meant comparatively. Wesker and Dante are over 6 feet tall (depending on the source). I don't think that the proportions are really that off. But I'm fine with it regardless. He wasn't really familiar with any of these characters, so he was working off of reference material that didn't list their heights.

Sir Garbageman said:
I dunno if it's a rude question but wondering the same thing myself. Would love to get something like that done, looks awesome.

It's not a rude question at all, but I don't really want to list what it cost me, hahah. It wasn't cheap, but I think it was well worth it. I had to pay for extra detail and even though E.Bas is in high demand for commission work, he was willing to work with me. Most artists charge per full figure, but the rates per full figure vary greatly.

Frantic

SAB CA said:
I'm pretty sure it'll be the go-to move after an airthrow since it'll free up the wallbounce in his combos, and that'll just give him more damage after an already good airthrow.

Dahbomb

Can't wait for the next WNF UMVC3 edition. If it's as crazy as the first MVC3 WNF... wow get HYPED is all I have to say. It will probably have the most character variety for a long time now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dahbomb said:
Can't wait for the next WNF UMVC3 edition. If it's as crazy as the first MVC3 WNF... wow get HYPED is all I have to say. It will probably have the most character variety for a long time now.
*every team has strider or virgil* VARIETY!!!! lol

Dahbomb

Not at WNF the first time. People are going to use more characters that they like starting off. They are only going to have a couple days to practice.

Like ClakyD and his all lady parts team of X-23/Tron/Morrigan

I am sure Clockw0rk is going to clean house with Strider/Doom because he's going to have a leg up on everyone there.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
I don't know what I'll do.. The Next Level's new tournament beginning and WNF w/ UMvC3 on the same day...

I'm sorry, I'll probably stay for beast coast stream and watch the other the following day. Only cause I probably still won't have the game by then :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dahbomb said:

Do you think they're going to add a Phoenix Wright tax?

Azure J

Biosnake, stop stealing my technology!

Dante/Vergil/Morrigan here. I feel like there's some shenanigans that can do down with the team order set up like this, but I won't say more until I have trained the fuck out of myself playing Ultimate. :p

Edit: Misread.

Dahbomb said:
Not at WNF the first time. People are going to use more characters that they like starting off. They are only going to have a couple days to practice.

Like ClakyD and his all lady parts team of X-23/Tron/Morrigan

I am sure Clockw0rk is going to clean house with Strider/Doom because he's going to have a leg up on everyone there.
Clockwork and Combofiend are going to run amok at quite a few tournaments.
enzo_gt said:
Solar's avatars are progressively getting more depressing and ghastly as the days/hours pass.

*puts Solar on suicide watch*
This is the only non ASW avatar that I like right now...
Oldschoolgamer said:
That artwork is amazing.
I like that Dante. He would totally fit in DmC and he looks much better than the junkie.

enzo_gt said:
I don't know what I'll do.. The Next Level's new tournament beginning and WNF w/ UMvC3 on the same day...

I'm sorry, I'll probably stay for beast coast stream and watch the other the following day. Only cause I probably still won't have the game by then :(

Yesterday, the East Coast stream ended pretty much the moment WNF started, so I wouldn't worry TOO much.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Red Arremer said:
Yesterday, the East Coast stream ended pretty much the moment WNF started, so I wouldn't worry TOO much.
Yeah but that wasn't a real tournament they had, it wasn't a Guard Crush and was primarily just to test stream equipment. Maybe 8 guys for MvC3 maximum were there. People are gonna come for Chris G's fight money URLEY in Ultimate, count on it. Early is when you want to start blowing people up.

SolarPowered said:
This is the only non ASW avatar that I like right now...
You're into some depressing ass characters, man :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom