Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Karsticles said:
Did that new Max video have absolutely no Firebrand, or did I miss a match in there somewhere?
Oh he did get a significant mention. "Probably the worst character out of the new ones." Potential future blowup, who knows?
 
Oct 25, 2010
44,345
0
0
Florida
www.youtube.com

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aug 23, 2005
24,587
0
1,260
IntelliHeath said:
Well, I just realized one thing. Should we take Justin Wong's words serious? I meant what he said about MVC3. Everything went opposite of that.
I don't think it's fair to say it was the opposite. Everyone should obviously take what Justin says with a grain of salt, but certainly not discount it.

You have to remember that MvC3 was absolutely brand new. The mechanics were new, the strategies were new, and the tech was all hidden away. Week one analysis was fairly off base because of the level of unfamiliarity with the game engine itself.

With UMvC3, we have MvC3 as a backdrop. We understand fundamental things better, so Justin can probably deduce better things in the first week than he could with UMvC3. Still, the changes to the engine, and undiscovered tech, means that while his words have weight, they're certainly not gospel. It's also very fresh, so people, in their excitement, are more willing to make rash judgments.
 
Jun 12, 2008
36,000
0
0
Brooklyn, NY
twitter.com
I don't take anything too seriously in the early stages of any competitive or roster based games. I just find it hilarious that someone can entertain those thoughts when they know of his tools already. I mean seriously, Firebrand is like the result of a "How To Make The Perfect Anchor."

Guess we gotta wait for a character technician or a Combofiend to put the time in with him then.
 
Jan 9, 2011
2,459
0
0
mr. puppy said:
two things i see from max's video:

1) Iron Fist is the new she hulk. Ground character that everyone thought was ass but isn't. Max mentions at one point that he classifies IF with Haggar/Tron for some reason, though maybe that wasn't it.

2) The hate on Firebrand does not make me happy. All they did was mention how ass he is.
iron fist has a fully invincible assist that wallbounces iirc. now everyone is gonna play iron fist lol. he was one of the only new characters that i liked along with hawkeye. firebrand i never cared for. low damage, low health. he has good ways to get in and good mixup especially with spending meter, but i think the deciding factor will be if he has to spend meter to be good. characters like strider and vergil can spend meter to increase rushdown/mixup potential, but with them its pretty clear to see that they're still good without it.
 

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Mar 31, 2008
30,374
0
1,020
GuardianE said:
I don't think it's fair to say it was the opposite. Everyone should obviously take what Justin says with a grain of salt, but certainly not discount it.

You have to remember that MvC3 was absolutely brand new. The mechanics were new, the strategies were new, and the tech was all hidden away. Week one analysis was fairly off base because of the level of unfamiliarity with the game engine itself.

With UMvC3, we have MvC3 as a backdrop. We understand fundamental things better, so Justin can probably deduce better things in the first week than he could with UMvC3. Still, the changes to the engine, and undiscovered tech, means that while his words have weight, they're certainly not gospel.
That's quite true. I didn't think about that. Just that I am very happy to hear that UMVC3 got SSF4 balance because it's really great balancing job.
 
Dec 5, 2008
15,307
0
730
Hungary
Dahbomb said:
Yeah just like I thought, Iron Fist can negate advancing guard really easily by just doing dash +H, QCF+L. The relentless Justin Wong pressure with IF was too much to handle for characters like Vergil and Ghost Rider with slow normals. Also every time Vergil was touched he died or had to tag out lol.

And that's not IF's st.M it's his st.H. That thing is just insane, move him forward and has a big hit box. I really couldn't understand anything in the background, I wanted to hear all the Max UMVC3 tech.


OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

One of the best assists of the newer cast easily. Call that shit the day he was revealed.
Uhm...I saw that too, and it was the st.M. That is the punch when he moves forward a bit with both of his hands attacking like pouring water out of a bucket. It is st.M. (Practicing that atm :D)

Edit: On second thought, yeah, st.H is just as strong as st.M, even travels him further than st.M. I am not sure if it is safe on block though.
 

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aug 23, 2005
24,587
0
1,260
IntelliHeath said:
That's quite true. I didn't think about that. Just that I am very happy to hear that UMVC3 got SSF4 balance because it's really great balancing job.
Yeah, I'm really glad to hear that too, but I don't think that Justin really experiments with all the characters... and some of them might not make the transition gracefully.
 
May 3, 2006
21,525
0
0
Karsticles said:
Did that new Max video have absolutely no Firebrand, or did I miss a match in there somewhere?

I think either olaf or max were saying how hes awful. Hes the Felicia of ultimate :(


Also I went to Best buy they dont have the guide yet. I wants it so bad.
 

Fosh

Neo Member
Jul 18, 2010
164
0
0
Wheaton, IL
thriveforme.net
Karsticles said:
No one, no matter how good he or she is, can determine how well balanced a game is within 24 hours, or even a week, of playing it.

Can anyone timestamp the part in the video where Firebrand is talked about? It would be much appreciated.

Its ~22:30 where they start talking about firebrand. It isnt anything signifigant.
 

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Mar 31, 2008
30,374
0
1,020
AzureJericho said:
Speaking of preorder costume packs, I want Super Hero Viper so fucking badly. I dunno what to do about a trade or buying the codes from someone here since I do want my Alpha Chunners & Casual Morrigan. That and I'm too broke to offer monies. :lol
Same here. I want MODOK and Wesker. :-\
 
Jul 18, 2008
2,822
0
0
AzureJericho said:
Speaking of preorder costume packs, I want Super Hero Viper so fucking badly. I dunno what to do about a trade or buying the codes from someone here since I do want my Alpha Chunners & Casual Morrigan. That and I'm too broke to offer monies. :lol
Just wait it out for a couple weeks. They're all gonna be paid DLC before long.
 

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jun 7, 2009
78,143
0
0
AzureJericho said:
Speaking of preorder costume packs, I want Super Hero Viper so fucking badly. I dunno what to do about a trade or buying the codes from someone here since I do want my Alpha Chunners & Casual Morrigan. That and I'm too broke to offer monies. :lol
I wanna buy all dem mothafuckas.

I'm so part of the problem, and I'm morally against on-disc DLC..

...but I want all of them. And will whore myself out to godlike alt costumes. The Viper one is so sexy, it's one of the best so far IMO.
 
Feb 8, 2011
6,949
0
510
ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Day one vergil tech from isedelica (brea's friend)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv2-QSUlSIg

Can't wait to see more of what can be cooked up in the lab with him

edit..HOLY SHIT...did i see round trip being used in the air at 1:14? OMG
No need to explain who isedelica is. The name is enough.
He's got a Dante combo named after him.

Oh god, those Vergil and Strider impressions from J. Wongg, and now this vid. I need to hit the lab now with someone other than Frank West.
 
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I still maintain giving people a free costume pack of their choosing would have been a much beter reward for original MvC3 owners. Getting something to unlock 20 minutes earlier than it should is kinda insulting. May be hard to do logistically though.

Also kinda pissed that Europe seemingly gets no pre-order DLC bonus pack whatsoever.
 

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dec 19, 2006
16,827
0
1,040
Atlanta, GA, USA
enzo_gt said:
I wanna buy all dem mothafuckas.

I'm so part of the problem, and I'm morally against on-disc DLC..

...but I want all of them. And will whore myself out to godlike alt costumes. The Viper one is so sexy, it's one of the best so far IMO.
At a minimum, I'm waiting until they're all out and bundled together at a discount like SF4 costumes. Hell, I still haven't bought any SF4 costumes because I'm holding out on the very slim possibility of them being included in a retail SSF4AE2K12GOTY edition or something.
 

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aug 23, 2005
24,587
0
1,260
Sixfortyfive said:
At a minimum, I'm waiting until they're all out and bundled together at a discount like SF4 costumes. Hell, I still haven't bought any SF4 costumes because I'm holding out on the very slim possibility of them being included in a retail SSF4AE2K12GOTY edition or something.
I was waiting for the bundles to go on sale, but they never did. I had to settle for rebate offers via XBox LIVE Rewards two months ago or so. So, aside from pre-order packs and the first Femme Fatale pack (I caved there), I didn't have any alternate costumes.

I'll probably end up doing the same for UMvC3.
 
Feb 8, 2011
6,949
0
510
Nils said:
I still maintain giving people a free costume pack of their choosing would have been a much beter reward for original MvC3 owners. Getting something to unlock 20 minutes earlier than it should is kinda insulting. May be hard to do logistically though.

Also kinda pissed that Europe seemingly gets no pre-order DLC bonus pack whatsoever.
Playing as Galactus is the least fun gaming experience of this year.
 
Jul 30, 2008
2,561
0
0
sephi22 said:
Oh god, those Vergil and Strider impressions from J. Wongg, and now this vid. I need to hit the lab now with someone other than Frank West.
Unfortunately, going by J Wong's past record the chances of Vergil and Strider sucking has increased greatly. Someone ask him which character he thinks is the worst in the new cast, I bet that character will be a hidden top tier.
 
Feb 8, 2011
6,949
0
510
scytheavatar said:
Unfortunately, going by J Wong's past record the chances of Vergil and Strider sucking has increased greatly. Someone ask him which character he thinks is the worst in the new cast, I bet that character will be a hidden top tier.
I don't think the Adon curse will strike again.

He's been playing Marvel 3 for 9 months. I think he knows by now what qualities are needed in a character for him/her to be high tier. I know you're partly joking (atleast I think you are), but still, I don't think he can be that wrong.
 

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aug 23, 2005
24,587
0
1,260
scytheavatar said:
Unfortunately, going by J Wong's past record the chances of Vergil and Strider sucking has increased greatly. Someone ask him which character he thinks is the worst in the new cast, I bet that character will be a hidden top tier.
Everyone made a mistake with Sentinel. Sentinel's still very good in MvC3, and a critical component on a ton of deadly teams.

Wong also came up with BFFs the second week in. I think that he deserves a little credit. Not to mention, we have MvC3 background going into UMvC3. It's a different ballgame now.
 
May 3, 2006
21,525
0
0
sephi22 said:
I don't think the Adon curse will strike again.

He's been playing Marvel 3 for 9 months. I think he knows by now what qualities are needed in a character for him/her to be high tier. I know you're partly joking (atleast I think you are), but still, I don't think he can be that wrong.

I think its more like he thought Sentinel was the most broken shit ever and eventually exposed him.
 
Apr 11, 2011
15,910
0
540
www.twitch.tv
IntelliHeath said:
Well, I just realized one thing. Should we take Justin Wong's words serious? I meant what he said about MVC3. Everything went opposite of that.
Thing is, J. Wong didn't say that, it was Olaf. I believe Max kinda agreed with him (or brought it up in the first place?), but it was definitely Olaf who was talking about Firebrand having low range and damage output, which is why I mentioned him not understanding the character.

James Chen was like "Really?!", and I think Justin looked abit surprised too, haha.

I can't believe that a character with so many options like Firebrand is going to be the worst out of this case, not even close.
 
Feb 8, 2011
6,949
0
510
(Potential blow up post incoming)

From my experience playing the game (which doesn't amount to much), I think Firebrand is better than Phoenix Wright, Iron Fist, Hawkeye and Strider. Yes, Strider. Come at me J. Wonggg.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.