• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - PS4 Edition |OT| Logan's Last Ride

Femto.

After practicing for about 7+ hours across the past week, I hop online and holy fuck the netcode is shit for this game lol I had a couple decent matches though.

I never played online on PS3, just played Marvel 3 super casually.

EmiPrime

Consoles need a system level setting for "Only match me with people using Ethernet, PLEASE for the love of god: On/Off".

1upsuper

I asked this a while ago in the MvsCI reveal thread but didn't really get a good answer.

Is this a decent game to use to finally "git gud" at fighting games? That is, to build decent fundamentals? I have loved fighting games my whole life but outside of Smash I'm totally ass at them. I just love messing around, enjoying the artwork, trying out everyone's moves, story mode, etc. Skullgirls is probably my favorite. I know all fighting games are quite different from each other but I'd like to finally develop good fundamentals and the right mentality for getting decent at fighting games. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Is this a good game to really learn with, or am I better off with something like Street Fighter V? I own tons of fighting games so I could go with something else too, but SFV and MvsC3 jive with me the most roster-wise, and in terms of having online, since none of my IRL friends play fighting games. I've also gotten used to playing with stick, btw. Thanks!

Femto.

I asked this a while ago in the MvsCI reveal thread but didn't really get a good answer.

Is this a decent game to use to finally "git gud" at fighting games? That is, to build decent fundamentals? I have loved fighting games my whole life but outside of Smash I'm totally ass at them. I just love messing around, enjoying the artwork, trying out everyone's moves, story mode, etc. Skullgirls is probably my favorite. I know all fighting games are quite different from each other but I'd like to finally develop good fundamentals and the right mentality for getting decent at fighting games. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Is this a good game to really learn with, or am I better off with something like Street Fighter V? I own tons of fighting games so I could go with something else too, but SFV and MvsC3 jive with me the most roster-wise, and in terms of having online, since none of my IRL friends play fighting games. I've also gotten used to playing with stick, btw. Thanks!

I know these aren't any of the games that you listed but: Guilty Gear Revelator and Killer Instinct have amazing tutorials while giving you a basic understanding of how fighting games work. Despite saying this, I play Street Fighter V more based on preference. SFV wouldn't be a bad start either but the game doesn't teach you how to play very well compared to the other two I have suggested. I can't really comment on the VS series (like Marvel) because I only played them casually until now.

As a disclaimer: You will lose a lot once you get online, given that these games have been out for a while now and everyone who is still playing is either intermediate or really good at the game. There will be some casuals you'll run into here and there but don't let losing discourage you. In fact, it should do the opposite! Go in with this mentality and you will have fun learning from your losses. Practice, practice, practice, get bodied online, and figure out what you can do to change that.

My 2 cents.

Edit:
There is even a book about fundamentals:

Written by Gootecks, a popular figure in the fighting game community who has competitive experience in previous Street Fighter titles once upon a time.

Ban Puncher

Figured I'd post this regarding the AU release, someone from another foum said they spoke with a classification board rep..

Looks like anyone waiting for the PS4 version should either make a US/EU account and buy there, or wait til march and MAYBE they'll bother to put in a classification application when it releases on PC/XB1 everywhere else.

Is Capcom's financial situation so dire that they cannot even afford to submit games to go though the classification process to be released for the Australian market?

Is this a decent game to use to finally "git gud" at fighting games? That is, to build decent fundamentals?

Absolutely not. MVC3 is like 95% set-play. Actual thinking only comes into play during the first few seconds of a match until someone gets put into blockstun.

Additionally, in MVC3 upbacking is your best friend, blocking is almost a death sentence, and reversals are nearly non-existent. Trying to play any other fighting game the way you play Marvel will get you annihilated, and vice versa.

Sigmaah

Is this a decent game to use to finally "git gud" at fighting games? That is, to build decent fundamentals? I have loved fighting games my whole life but outside

Umvc3 was the first fg I played seriously and I made it to master lord and super platinum in sf5.

In my experience it was a good starting point but some say no.

I played Zero forever so that deff helped in execution, playing Dante helped in decision making, sentinel for practicing my assist calling cause he's huge af so he easily can get hit. So on etc.

These were characters I liked too so that made it even better. I think you'll learn well but everyone's different.

1upsuper

Thanks a bunch, everyone. I really appreciate it. I was hoping this would be a good starting point cuz it has such a good roster and I'm invested in a lot of the Capcom characters, but it looks like there are better places to start. Looks like I'll probably try to get good with Street Fighter V.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Absolutely not. MVC3 is like 95% set-play. Actual thinking only comes into play during the first few seconds of a match until someone gets put into blockstun.

Additionally, in MVC3 upbacking is your best friend, blocking is almost a death sentence, and reversals are nearly non-existent. Trying to play any other fighting game the way you play Marvel will get you annihilated, and vice versa.

UMVC3 is about good neutral, fast movement, quick thinking, synorgy, and having your multi layered incoming mix ups down.

Also, if you love to up back you'll get destroyed by any decent player that has his throws down also left right mix up you put yourself in while in the air.

Saying "Actual thinking only comes into play during the first few seconds of a match until someone gets put into blockstun." is not true at all. Or, We'd only ever see the person that blocked first lose the game.

I do agree Marvel is unlike any other run of the mill fighter that is why it has such a loyal fucking ham fan base.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

Pick any fighting game dedicate yourself to it like it's your real passion..don't bother playing other games since they are nothing but a distraction. You should be grinding training room more than even playing online honestly sounds like hard work right? Well it is but it's truly fun. Also, make sure to dedicate few years to that fighter.

Once you do that with 1 fighting game the learning process is so ingrained into you that you'll find yourself adapting to new fighters faster.

Now, if you don't want to put that much work in just have fun while learning the game slowly for fun don't get upset if people that put in more work beat you on & offline.

Edit: There is a ton of other stuff you need to do to "get gud" of course. But, no one path is the same between players.

1upsuper

Pick any fighting game dedicate yourself to it like it's your real passion..don't bother playing other games since they are nothing but a distraction. You should be grinding training room more than even playing online honestly sounds like hard work right? Well it is but it's truly fun. Also, make sure to dedicate few years to that fighter.

Once you do that with 1 fighting game the learning process is so ingrained into you that you'll find yourself adapting to new fighters faster.

Now, if you don't want to put that much work in just have fun while learning the game slowly for fun don't get upset if people that put in more work beat you on & offline.

Edit: There is a ton of other stuff you need to do to "get gud" of course. But, no one path is the same between players.

Thank you. If I'm serious about this, do I want to spend time watching and reading tutorials and things online first or should I play the game a bunch first? I tend to get distracted by tutorials and they keep me from playing the game

I haven't played this game in like two years but I haven't forgotten anything.

I always do Hawkeye combos in my head when I'm trying to sleep so I'm able to get back in more easily than other games I haven't played in a while.

Sigmaah

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";226777516]I haven't played this game in like two years but I haven't forgotten anything.

I always do Hawkeye combos in my head when I'm trying to sleep so I'm able to get back in more easily than other games I haven't played in a while.[/QUOTE]

Wanna play?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Thank you. If I'm serious about this, do I want to spend time watching and reading tutorials and things online first or should I play the game a bunch first? I tend to get distracted by tutorials and they keep me from playing the game

Lets say you decide to dedicate your learning process to Marvel.

- Starter guides.

Movement by FChamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG9BhUlgJ00

Blocking by FChamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxImJ6aiMoE

Schmidt Select (AKA Easier Plink Dashing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v32pgLB_4k

Any other info you need you can bet it will be on Youtube otherwise feel free to PM me anytime.

- Here is good playlist with tons of character combos to help you pick a team (you can find more on youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL550059F8227EBC3C

Also, check out SRK UMVC3 forum for talk about characters lots of good info here.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3

I'd start off with splitting up your training time and playtime you should spend example two hours in training mode for ever 30mins of game time when starting off in Marvel to build your muscle memory and get to grips with the fighting engine. Also, watch videos of people playing your characters or team to get better understanding of what they are doing at first you might not fully understand what they are doing but overtime you'll be like Ah that is why X does this that or the other in whatever situations.

If you decide to learn with SFV or almost any other fighter you'll find same sort of videos and content to help you learn. :)

1upsuper

Lets say you decide to dedicate your learning process to Marvel.

- Starter guides.

Movement by FChamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG9BhUlgJ00

Blocking by FChamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxImJ6aiMoE

Schmidt Select (AKA Easier Plink Dashing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v32pgLB_4k

Any other info you need you can bet it will be on Youtube otherwise feel free to PM me anytime.

- Here is good playlist with tons of character combos to help you pick a team (you can find more on youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL550059F8227EBC3C

Also, check out SRK UMVC3 forum for talk about characters lots of good info here.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3

I'd start off with splitting up your training time and playtime you should spend example two hours in training mode for ever 30mins of game time when starting off in Marvel to build your muscle memory and get to grips with the fighting engine. Also, watch videos of people playing your characters or team to get better understanding of what they are doing at first you might not fully understand what they are doing but overtime you'll be like Ah that is why X does this that or the other in whatever situations.

If you decide to learn with SFV or almost any other fighter you'll find same sort of videos and content to help you learn. :)

Wow, thanks a bunch, this is really helpful. I really appreciate it! I'm back to being undecided between this and SFV but I'm gonna pick one and use your advice.

spyduh

Neo Member
Ban Puncher said:
A release on the local store should happen sooner rather than later now.

Heck yes. Hopefully it drags some people back to Marvel in Australia... I know I'll be one.

JP

I'm not really into fighters but I've picked this up because, well, because it's Marvel vs Capcom 3. I have the TE 2Chun-Li fight stick, which I use mainly for STGs but I'm really struggling here with setting up the controls.

Does anybody have a recommended for an eight button fight stick for somebody who is a complete beginner? Apart from the bloody obvious L, M and H attacks, what commands should I be setting up on the buttons? I know that there are automatically combos set up on some of the buttons but I'm wondering if people have a preferred setup somebody who's learning?

Thanks. :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm not really into fighters but I've picked this up because, well, because it's Marvel vs Capcom 3. I have the TE 2Chun-Li fight stick, which I use mainly for STGs but I'm really struggling here with setting up the controls.

Does anybody have a recommended for an eight button fight stick for somebody who is a complete beginner? Apart from the bloody obvious L, M and H attacks, what commands should I be setting up on the buttons? I know that there are automatically combos set up on some of the buttons but I'm wondering if people have a preferred setup somebody who's learning?

Thanks. :)

Type B is considered to be the "default" control scheme for most brands of arcade sticks and 6-button fight pads, which should have a layout like this:

L M H
S 1 2

plus an LMH dash button and a 1+2 team hyper button on the far right.

The most pressing reason to ever deviate from this layout is to facilitate the use of easier plink dashes and option selects, but I'm not sure that's something you should worry about when starting out. If that's something you want to start practicing right away, though, then maybe it would be best to put the macro buttons on the far left instead of the far right (so that the LMH button is to the left of the L button instead of to the right of the H button, as L~LMH plinking is usually a wiser idea than H~LMH afaik).

JP

Type B is considered to be the "default" control scheme for most brands of arcade sticks and 6-button fight pads, which should have a layout like this:

L M H
S 1 2

plus an LMH dash button and a 1+2 team hyper button on the far right.

The most pressing reason to ever deviate from this layout is to facilitate the use of easier plink dashes and option selects, but I'm not sure that's something you should worry about when starting out. If that's something you want to start practicing right away, though, then maybe it would be best to put the macro buttons on the far left instead of the far right (so that the LMH button is to the left of the L button instead of to the right of the H button, as L~LMH plinking is usually a wiser idea than H~LMH afaik).
Ah, thanks for that.

I'll have a proper look at these tomorrow to see if they make more sense to me.

Seik

Banned
OP should be updated as there will be an EB games (Canada) exclusive physical edition coming out in March.

Probably Gamestop for the US as well, I assume...but I can't go see as it automatically redirects my browser to the Canadian version.

I'll pick this up if they add PS3 stick support.

I have a PS3 and PS4 fightstick. I refuse to let my kids play fighters with a controller, so I'll hold off for now.

What are the chances they'll add it in and what's the best way to bitch about it to Capcom?

Seik

Banned

I have a PS3 and PS4 fightstick. I refuse to let my kids play fighters with a controller, so I'll hold off for now.

What are the chances they'll add it in and what's the best way to bitch about it to Capcom?

Parenting done right, I approve. :D

You could always just buy a brooks ps3->ps4 adapter.

Card Boy

Banned
So who is responsible for this not been on the Australian PSN yet? Sony or Capcom? Guess i'm not getting it and waiting for the PC version for $5 during a Steam sale.

spyduh

Neo Member
So who is responsible for this not been on the Australian PSN yet? Sony or Capcom? Guess i'm not getting it and waiting for the PC version for $5 during a Steam sale.

I think the initial delay was because it was awaiting classification, but that has since happened.. so who knows at this point.... infuriating either way.

lupinko

This is an annoyance and oversight but taunt is mapped to the touchpad button. A lot of arcade sticks and 6 button game pads don't have the touchpad button. Capcom should really fix that in addition to the aforementioned sound bugs.

Fix as in let us map to a different button.

FSLink

Banned
This is an annoyance and oversight but taunt is mapped to the touchpad button. A lot of arcade sticks and 6 button game pads don't have the touchpad button. Capcom should really fix that in addition to the aforementioned sound bugs.

Also invite button for Player Match is assigned to touchpad....
Kinda annoying. Same with it being for reset in Training Room, but that's not as surprising since it's the same in SF5 and other fighting games.

vg260

That's been an issue for sticks since the PS4 came out, but fortunately most sticks now have a touchpad. Don't expect ports of old games to patch in any sort of workaround. It sounds like an easy fix, but for old ports, having to patch in some sort of button workaround would require adding new code and extra testing to make sure nothing breaks, so I can't really fault developers all that much for not wanting to do it for old ports. I primarily blame Sony for their stupid controller redesign.

spyduh

Neo Member
Australia PSN update...

We understand that people are excited for Marvel vs Capcom 3 coming to PlayStation stores in the ANZ region. However there has been a slight delay in launching the game on PSN. Capcom have provided us with the following statement:

”Due to Marvel vs Capcom 3 receiving a higher age rating in the ANZ regions the team have to make some minor changes to the rating settings of the game in order for it to release and as such there is unfortunately a delay. We hope to be able to release the game for players of 15+ age in February and will have more news soon. We apologise for the delay in bringing the game to fans in this territory"

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

source - https://www.facebook.com/capcomaustralia/

Needlecrash

Was playing Marvel at Magfest with some folks. My Chris and Taskmaster was putting in work. Played with some our local players and Chris D too. Chris Redfield mirrors are very annoying lol.

Since the port came out i decided to throw together something i wanted to do since the release of original on ps3 and 360.
It's a tutorial for Phoenix which covers some tech i don't see often used or not mentioned in other tutorials. What do you guys think?

Hobobloke

Since the port came out i decided to throw together something i wanted to do since the release of original on ps3 and 360.
It's a tutorial for Phoenix which covers some tech i don't see often used or not mentioned in other tutorials. What do you guys think?

Nice to see people still making content, good stuff. I don't know if suggesting a super to makes phoenix's teleport safe is the best idea though, it's pretty all-in, if they block it you are one dead bird and won't even have 5 bars.

Nice to see people still making content, good stuff. I don't know if suggesting a super to makes phoenix's teleport safe is the best idea though, it's pretty all-in, if they block it you are one dead bird and won't even have 5 bars.

True. i guess it's up to the player whether or not to make the call on it in a match. If i recall, Filipino champ got away with this in matchs because no one expected it. Usually theyd be looking for the teleport to punish and not expect the hyper. Most phoenix players should only be using it sparingly and situationally to begin with, since Dark Phoenix is the goal. Guess i should have made that more clearer in the vid. back to the drawing board. Thanks, by the way, for your input.

Marvel 3 Pc requirements

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, or better
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX260, or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 16 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound compatible (must support DirectX 9.0c or higher)
Additional Notes: Genuine Xbox 360 PC compatible controller recommended.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad 2.7 GHz, or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560, or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 16 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound compatible (must support DirectX 9.0c or higher)
Additional Notes: Genuine Xbox 360 PC compatible controller recommended.

ZeroCDR

Nice, should run max 1080p on my now 6 year old PC lol

I think I'm due for an upgrade but when everything I wanna play runs just fine on it..

Top Bottom