• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate NES Remix 3DS/WiiU

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay updated this OP with information gathered in this thread.

GiantBomb.com said:
Originally Posted by Giant Bomb Wiki

http://www.giantbomb.com/ultimate-nes-remix/3030-47678/

2676160-7442507383-hxNhl.png

Online leaderboard support for the whole game (unlike NES Remix Pack or the standalone versions). However, the game does NOT run in stereoscopic 3D!

Plus:

Speed Mario Bros.

Ultimate NES Remix includes an altered version of the NES classic Super Mario Bros. in which the speed of the entire game has been drastically increased. Every aspect of the game, from character and enemy movement, to the music and in-game clock are sped up to make the game more challenging. Online leaderboards are also supported in this mode.

Famicom Remix

This mode is an unlockable bonus that features challenges from the Japanese release of NES Remix. It uses the Famicom versions of the games, including their occasionally different sounds/music tracks.

Championship Mode

Championship Mode, also included in NES Remix 2, is a special challenge mode themed after the competitive challenge NES games Nintendo World Championships 1990 and Nintendo Campus Challenge. Championship Mode challenges the player to complete three trials, each based on an individual game, in a limited amount of time. The challenges are:

Super Mario Bros.: Collect 50 coins
Super Mario Bros. 3: Collect 25 coins
Dr. Mario: Earn as high a score as possible in the time remaining.

The challenges are scored are based on how quickly the player accomplishes each goal and the individual scores are added together. The final score can be posted to online leaderboards.

Games from NES Remix
Balloon Fight
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Excitebike
Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda

Games from NES Remix 2
Dr. Mario
Kid Icarus
Kirby’s Adventure
Metroid
Punch-Out!!
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Zelda II - The Adventure of Link

2676162-1314479111-i2wzC.png

This is what you get with NES Remix Pack:
Originally Posted by Giant Bomb Wiki

Players can unlock Miiverse stamps as they progress as a means to show off their accomplishments.

The games represented and remixed in NES Remix include the following:
Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Donkey Kong
Mario Bros.
Balloon Fight
Excitebike
Ice Climber
Golf
Clu Clu Land
Wrecking Crew
Donkey Kong Jr.
Pinball
Donkey Kong 3
Baseball
Urban Champion
Tennis

The games represented in NES Remix 2 are:
Dr. Mario
Ice Hockey
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Metroid
NES Open Tournament Golf
Punch-Out!!
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels
Wario's Woods
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Super Luigi Bros.

NES Remix 2 contains a full modification of the original Super Mario Bros. titled Super Luigi Bros. The stages in Super Luigi Bros. are the same as those in Super Mario Bros., but mirrored, forcing the player to move from right to left. Additionally, the player controls Luigi, and the game implements Luigi's jump that allows for a greater maximum height.

Championship Mode (the same exact mode as in Ultimate NES Remix)

This mode has players try for high scores in three different levels from NES games using the scoring system of the Nintendo World Championships 1990 cartridge. Supports online leaderboards.
D74KnWT.png

Here's how to download your free Famicom Theme on 3DS.

OK so apparently it's on the eshop receipt for Ultimate NES Remix. If you already bought it and didn't note it down you have to do this:

1. Load eShop
  2. Go into the menu (in the upper left), Settings / Other
  3. Go into Account Activity
  4. View Receipt for Ultimate NES Remix, code is near the bottom
  5. Write down this code
  6. Redeem it in the theme shop (menu in the upper right), not the eshop

zroid

Banned
in case you weren't aware, the 3DS and Wii U games aren't the same. the 3DS release is kind of a "best of" compilation with some bonus features, whereas the Wii U release is straight-up both NES Remix games bundled together.

Megatron

Personally unless you want it portable, I would just get the second one. All the best games are in that one. When I bought the first one I thought they would add additional titles via dlc, but they didn't.

Bear_King

Neo Member
in case you weren't aware, the 3DS and Wii U games aren't the same. the 3DS release is kind of a "best of" compilation with some bonus features, whereas the Wii U release is straight-up both NES Remix games bundled together.

I had read that the Wii U version was 'gimped' as well. Can you confirm the disc contains everything on the digital games? I want them and prefer the disc over digital, but want the whole package.

Noogy

Interesting, I didn't realize the 3DS version had content the WiiU didn't. Still torn on this, since I want the fullest package.

Robin64

The Wii U retail release is not gimped in anyway. It's just both eShop titles launchable from a disc with no changes.

Ibuki

Banned
It looks like I'll be grabbing this along with Captain Toad today!

I want the 3DS version, but not if it's gimped.

TheMoon

This is what you get with Ultimate NES Remix on 3DS:

Note that the actual challenges associated with the games are the same across both releases. The differences is just in the featured games and extra modes.

Giant Bomb Wiki said:
http://www.giantbomb.com/ultimate-nes-remix/3030-47678/

2676160-7442507383-hxNhl.png

Online leaderboard support for the whole game (unlike NES Remix Pack or the standalone versions). However, the game does not run in stereoscopic 3D!

Plus:

Speed Mario Bros.

Ultimate NES Remix includes an altered version of the NES classic Super Mario Bros. in which the speed of the entire game has been drastically increased. Every aspect of the game, from character and enemy movement, to the music and in-game clock are sped up to make the game more challenging. Online leaderboards are also supported in this mode.

Famicom Remix

This mode is an unlockable bonus that features challenges from the Japanese release of NES Remix. It uses the Famicom versions of the games, including their occasionally different sounds/music tracks.

Championship Mode

Championship Mode, also included in NES Remix 2, is a special challenge mode themed after the competitive challenge NES games Nintendo World Championships 1990 and Nintendo Campus Challenge. Championship Mode challenges the player to complete three trials, each based on an individual game, in a limited amount of time. The challenges are:

Super Mario Bros.: Collect 50 coins
Super Mario Bros. 3: Collect 25 coins
Dr. Mario: Earn as high a score as possible in the time remaining.

The challenges are scored are based on how quickly the player accomplishes each goal and the individual scores are added together. The final score can be posted to online leaderboards.

Games from NES Remix
  • Balloon Fight
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Excitebike
  • Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda

Games from NES Remix 2

• Dr. Mario
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Metroid
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Zelda II - The Adventure of Link

This is what you get with NES Remix Pack:
Giant Bomb Wiki said:
2676162-1314479111-i2wzC.png

Players can unlock Miiverse stamps as they progress as a means to show off their accomplishments.

The games represented and remixed in NES Remix include the following:

• Super Mario Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Donkey Kong
  • Mario Bros.
  • Balloon Fight
  • Excitebike
  • Ice Climber
  • Golf
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Pinball
  • Donkey Kong 3
  • Baseball
  • Urban Champion
  • Tennis

The games represented in NES Remix 2 are:
  • Dr. Mario
  • Ice Hockey
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Metroid
  • NES Open Tournament Golf
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels
  • Wario's Woods
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Super Luigi Bros.

NES Remix 2 contains a full modification of the original Super Mario Bros. titled Super Luigi Bros. The stages in Super Luigi Bros. are the same as those in Super Mario Bros., but mirrored, forcing the player to move from right to left. Additionally, the player controls Luigi, and the game implements Luigi's jump that allows for a greater maximum height.

Championship Mode (the same exact mode as in Ultimate NES Remix)

This mode has players try for high scores in three different levels from NES games using the scoring system of the Nintendo World Championships 1990 cartridge. Supports online leaderboards.

So the Wii U version has more content, but the 3DS one has modes not found in it. Guess I'll get the 3DS one too if there's a good sale.

TheMoon

I keep seeing people say the 3DS version has less content, but the content that it's "missing" isn't really that great to begin with. It's all the lame sports games and crap I didn't like in the game anyway...

Yup, that's the thing. UNESRMX has all the games anyone cares about.

Tyeforce

I'm guessing the answer is no, but does anyone know if NES Remix Pack uses the same save files as the download versions? Or will it start new save files for the disc version?

I keep seeing people say the 3DS version has less content, but the content that it's "missing" isn't really that great to begin with. It's all the lame sports games and crap I didn't like in the game anyway...
Oh, so just because you didn't like say, Wario's Woods means nobody that buys the 3DS version should be allowed to play it then? If the content is there you can choose to not touch it. If it isn't there you have no say.

Frankly due to that the only reason to buy the 3DS version is if you lack a Wii U..Unless you're in Europe where Ultimate NES rip-off costs twice as much as the Wii U eShop games do.

G0523

I really regret that I redeemed my annual Club Nintendo reward for NES Remix 1. Nintendo announced the disc version of both games shortly afterwards because of course they would. I would've much preferred a disc version of both games instead of downloading them both. I still haven't downloaded NES Remix 2. I should get on that. Anyone else think Nintendo might have an eShop End-of-Year sale?

TheMoon

Speaking of which, is it known if any other games share save files across download/disc versions, too? I was curious about Wii Sports Club, too, but I never got an answer for that one, either.

I have ZombiU on disc and download. They have separate save files. Not interchangeable.

I really regret that I redeemed my annual Club Nintendo reward for NES Remix 1. Nintendo announced the disc version of both games shortly afterwards because of course they would. I would've much preferred a disc version of both games instead of downloading them both. I still haven't downloaded NES Remix 2. I should get on that. Anyone else think Nintendo might have an eShop End-of-Year sale?

They had a big Holiday sale around Xmas last year.

Voliko

3DS version seems pointless if you have a WiiU. 2 has the better games, but only when thinking about them outside of the context of the NES Remix series. I found that the first NES remix made for a better package. It has more games and variety and it felt harder to get 100% rainbow stars. 2 Felt very lenient when it came to those. I checked my log after finishing 2 and it took me twice as long to finish the first game. They are both great though.

Raw64life

I have the Wii U version waiting for me when I get home, but I'll probably play through Captain Toad first. This seemed like a fun concept when it was announced, and since I don't do digital, this is like a brand new game to me.

Shiggy

Ultimate NES Remix is pretty much the only 3DS game I'm interested this Christmas. Can't wait :)

Sadly don't have a Wii U

3DS version is totally legit. Takes away the garbage from the Wii U games, leaves on all the good games, all in one package.

Except for one problem.

The NES games are downscaled. Despite the 3DS having a 240p screen, the image displayed is sub-240p.

I assumed it would just be simple 240p + an overscan mask, but no :(.

Edit: Is there a menu that I'm not seeing where you can turn off underscaling?

zroid

Banned

Well, on the other hand, I think much of the charm of NES Remix is getting a chance to sample those sorts of games in the bite-sized manner they're presented. Like I'd never play NES Baseball on VC, but in NES Remix it's kind of cool to experience without having to commit to actually playing the game as a whole.

To expand on this a little, most people say NES Remix 2 > NES Remix because the games there are better, but there are many who prefer NES Remix for exactly the reason I mentioned. It arguably does a better job of presenting these NES titles in a novel and approachable way, where NES Remix 2 may not necessarily give you an incentive to play it over playing the actual games on VC.

Just something to think about if you're considering these games.

wondermega

Is the 3ds version... 3d ? I assume not.

Wondering about this as well. And frankly I feel lame not about asking this, but having to ask it. It should be a given that they are - and I really love the 3D effect when applied to 2D graphics on the system - but given Nintendos precedents, I would not be surprised if they just "phoned this in"

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wondering about this as well. And frankly I feel lame not about asking this, but having to ask it. It should be a given that they are - and I really love the 3D effect when applied to 2D graphics on the system - but given Nintendos precedents, I would not be surprised if they just "phoned this in"

Kirby and Kid Icarus 3D remaster look great!

... I highly doubt they gave every game the same treatment. Probably the background border pops out.

G0523

They had a big Holiday sale around Xmas last year.

Ooh! Great! I'll be sure to keep my eye out for it later this month! (Especially since this is the last month all digital download games are redeemable for Nintendo's Deluxe Program.)

TheMoon

Is the 3ds version... 3d ? I assume not.

If you guys would just read the big long info post I made that has all this info in it....

Grizzo

Is the Wii U retail version gonna be released in Europe?

We're already deprived of Captain Toad this year so getting NES Remix would be a nice touch.

SeanR1221

I have the two seperate games on the Wii U but haven't played them much.

I bought the 3ds version and can't stop playing. I feel like this lends itself to a portable game a lot more.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
3DS version seems pointless if you have a WiiU. 2 has the better games, but only when thinking about them outside of the context of the NES Remix series. I found that the first NES remix made for a better package. It has more games and variety and it felt harder to get 100% rainbow stars. 2 Felt very lenient when it came to those. I checked my log after finishing 2 and it took me twice as long to finish the first game. They are both great though.
Yup.

Remix 1 is the superior half because it is the best representation of many of those games. It provides a challenge and structure that they didn't have to begin with, and it feels like you get the complete experience out of them despite only playing portions of them. I also learned a lot of nuance and tricks in some games that I never knew before despite having already played them a lot.

For most games in Remix 2, I just felt like I'd rather be playing the original games instead. The challenges in this game often felt like tutorials and demos instead of a game that could stand on its own.

OK so apparently it's on the eshop receipt for Ultimate NES Remix. If you already bought it and didn't note it down you have to do this:

1. Load eShop
  2. Go into the menu (in the upper left), Settings / Other
  3. Go into Account Activity
  4. View Receipt for Ultimate NES Remix, code is near the bottom
  5. Write down this code
  6. Redeem it in the theme shop (menu in the upper right), not the eshop

Why they couldn't just add the theme to my list I'm really not sure.

Edit: hah all this trouble for a theme I don't even like. Guess I'll go back to my poptart theme to match my poptart 3DS.

wondermega

If you guys would just read the big long info post I made that has all this info in it....
Purposely skipped through it because of spoilers, seriously!

Also - that's really fucking lame that it's not in 3D. Yes I know it costs them more to do that and is a lot of work, I don't care. Charge more. FFS.

Top Bottom