• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate NES Remix 3DS/WiiU

TheMoon

How do the premiere versions--Wii U--don't have online leaderboards?

Because it came out way earlier, before that was added into Ultimate, which is basically a totally different package. Don't let the simultaneous US release fool you. NES remix Pack is a localized version of Famicom Remix 1+2 which came out in April, Ultimate NES Remix is a new thing, hence the new added features.

Purposely skipped through it because of spoilers, seriously!

What could one possibly spoil about this? lol

maxcriden

How do the premiere versions--Wii U--don't have online leaderboards?

In addition to what TheMoon wrote above, I think the Wii U version does have leaderboards for the Championship Challenge, although I believe those reset weekly (I'm assuming the 3DS leaderboards may do the same?).

I feel with NES remix they wanted it to be more of a social thing of "look at my high score" (improved in 2 with replays) via Miiverse rather than "Ugh I'm 8679, I hate voltronx563121 for being 8678).

The heavy emphasis on Miiverse stamp earning reinforces this.

TheMoon

In addition to what TheMoon wrote above, I think the Wii U version does have leaderboards for the Championship Challenge, although I believe those reset weekly (I'm assuming the 3DS leaderboards may do the same?).

That's actually covered in my post :D

Balb

Started playing NES Remix Pack for the Wii U last night. The packaging and disc art are amazing but I can't say that I like the game itself. It really sucks the joy out of playing these old NES games and just boils them down to boring, laborous mini-tasks. Granted I've only done the SMB1 stuff so far but I'm pretty bummed overall.

Yuterald

Picked up a copy with Toad the other night. I had downloaded the digital games awhile back, but I always prefer owning physical copies. Just chiming in to say that the game uses/makes its own saved data. Does not recognize data from the digital versions. Oh well.

Exile20

D74KnWT.png

Are they going to add more/removed games to the 3DS version as DLC? There's an eshop icon in the main menu. Has the Legend of Zelda guy telling you to go to the eshop which is kind of cute.

Camjo-Z

Are they going to add more/removed games to the 3DS version as DLC? There's an eshop icon in the main menu. Has the Legend of Zelda guy telling you to go to the eshop which is kind of cute.

If it's like the Wii U version, that icon is there so you can easily go to the eShop to buy the full versions of games included in NES Remix.

The eShop link is just to buy VC versions of the game, sorry.

It kind of makes the games feel like an advertisement, really. It is a shame the conditional discount couldn't have been permanent (here in Europe they were offering 20%-50% off VC versions if you owned NES Remix for a few weeks some months back...sadly it was Wii U VC).

Edit: Greninja'd...but a long shot.

Speaking of which, is it known if any other games share save files across download/disc versions, too? I was curious about Wii Sports Club, too, but I never got an answer for that one, either.

Wii Sports Club digital saves will work with the disc version; I just tried it out last night. The NES Remix Pack is treated as a separate game and won't transfer your Remix 1 & 2 saves though unfortunately.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so there's no difference btwn downloading nes remix 1&2 or buying this remix pack? it even costs the same?

if so, i may just dl remix 1 for now and take it from there

TheMoon

so there's no difference btwn downloading nes remix 1&2 or buying this remix pack? it even costs the same?

if so, i may just dl remix 1 for now and take it from there

the wii u disc is just a physical version of both downloads. as the name suggests.

I've had the 3DS version for a while and honestly, I'm not crazy about it. The remix challenges are fun but honestly a little samey, and the whole game's segmented nature destroys the flow of the classics. Some of them are over before you get the slightest taste of the game, like Kid Icarus.

Additionally, it's a pretty quick game. Granted, I haven't 3-starred/Rainbow-starred all the levels yet, but I don't really want to. I don't feel compelled to go back.

Just my opinion though. Each to their own.

TheMoon

sweet! what's the consensus on the better half? 1?

Some say the games itself in 2 are better but the remix nature of the game makes the obscure shit in 1 you'd never play otherwise be a more fun game than 2.

So, both are awesome lol.

ghibli99

I've had the 3DS version for a while and honestly, I'm not crazy about it. The remix challenges are fun but honestly a little samey, and the whole game's segmented nature destroys the flow of the classics. Some of them are over before you get the slightest taste of the game, like Kid Icarus.

Additionally, it's a pretty quick game. Granted, I haven't 3-starred/Rainbow-starred all the levels yet, but I don't really want to. I don't feel compelled to go back.

Just my opinion though. Each to their own.
I totally felt the same way until I started competing against some of the scores I was seeing in the Miiverse. Then I got totally addicted, and was posting my times and artwork quite a bit. NES Remix 2 became one of my favorites because of that, and I even went back and rainbow starred everything in NES Remix 1 because I got into such a rhythm with the series.

I'm not going to double-dip on this, but I hope it opens up the series to a lot of new players. I would love for them to do SNES Remix next!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, that disc & boxart combo is actually rather cool.

sweet! what's the consensus on the better half? 1?
Good amount of people will say 2 since while there's less games/challenges, it mostly has better games and there's more actual "remix" challenges.

I totally felt the same way until I started competing against some of the scores I was seeing in the Miiverse. Then I got totally addicted, and was posting my times and artwork quite a bit. NES Remix 2 became one of my favorites because of that, and I even went back and rainbow starred everything in NES Remix 1 because I got into such a rhythm with the series.
I had a similar experience, though I already liked the games. Being able to see replays made me want to replicate what they did & get all rainbow stars. Actually being able to see how others did can make a game more fun because it adds to the competitiveness of getting quick times. And this is coming from someone who usually doesn't care about leaderboards.

tronic307

I'm guessing the answer is no, but does anyone know if NES Remix Pack uses the same save files as the download versions? Or will it start new save files for the disc version?
NSMBU and SM3DW saves are shared, I can't say for sure about these games.

Edit: beaten

OmegaFax

I just finished the main game. Every single Rainbow Star except for that ridiculous 40+ Mario marathon at the very end.

Unlocked Famicom Remix and it's basically a New Game+ type thing. You start back with zero stars and the Japanese versions of what looks like all the games. Kinda stared at my screen and said, "Noooope ... I'm done!" and shut the system down.

entremet

Is there a guide for the rainbow stars? Meaning benchmarks. Kinda annoying I can't find "Beat level in x" to get rainbow stars. I'm still on the first Wii U game.

Raw64life

I got the Wii U NES Remix Pack day 1 but didn't start playing it until a few days ago. Since I don't do digital games I didn't even read up on these game much when they were first released, so this is like a brand new game to me.

This stuff is great. I just need to go through the Bonus section on the first one and then I can move on to NES Remix 2. I won't move on until I get 3 stars on everything but I don't think I'll try for the rainbows. Some games are just frustrating as fuck, particularly Balloon Fight. Also, I had Excitebike as a kid and I never knew that the arrows cool down your turbo meter until I played this game. Mind blown.

SystemUser

I saw this on Gamestop's website yesterday. I probably going to get this for the 3DS. I have wanted to play Remix for a while, but don't have a Wii U yet.

The 9 Volt section is usually my favorite part of Warioware games. I wish other companies would make this type of game. The only other that I can think of is Atari's Hot Pixel. Sega, Konami, Capcom, Activision, and Midway could all do really awesome games in this style.

Goddamnit they actually made a physical copy for this?!?!?!! So the only difference is the 3ds version has the sped up Mario Bros? Without that the wii u version has everything else? Dunno if that's reason enough to pick up the 3DS version although playing this on the go would seem really fun.

maxcriden

Is there a guide for the rainbow stars? Meaning benchmarks. Kinda annoying I can't find "Beat level in x" to get rainbow stars. I'm still on the first Wii U game.

I thought I saw Rainbow Star times in an IGN or GaneFAQs guide, but I'm on mobile so I don't have a link handy, sorry.

TheMoon

Goddamnit they actually made a physical copy for this?!?!?!! So the only difference is the 3ds version has the sped up Mario Bros? Without that the wii u version has everything else? Dunno if that's reason enough to pick up the 3DS version although playing this on the go would seem really fun.

If you had carefully read the details in the OP, you'd have seen that UNES RMX also has Famicom Remix included.

alf717

I believe the music is from the Famicom Disk System for certain games and heard Famicom Remix had certain different challenges than NES Remix but I haven't found a Youtube video showing the differences other than the music. Might just watch a longplay of Famicom Remix and look for differences.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Still haven't purchased a version... I'm leaning the 3DS. It's cheaper and it'd be nicer to have on the go.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Will the pack come out in europe? really want that one thanks to the amazing art on the cd.

Top Bottom