• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate PS4 FAQ is live on PS Blog

btkadams

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE.

i was one of the people telling others to calm down in the previous thread, telling people sony would be insane to not let us use our own music. i am fucking furious. has anyone from sony commented on this? is it something that just didn't make it there for launch or are they never going to change that?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
A german blog says you can install up to 12mm thick, as they tried replacing the HDD. Don't really know for sure though.
FWIW:

TmEOSfH.png

Regarding the video share thing... I hate the idea of no YT share (and hate even more the idea of creating a Facebook account) but what I'll be doing is this: Share to FB > D/L shared video from FB > U/L to YT. Hopefully that much will be possible.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Didn't sony sell music? can you not even play that music? lol
Regarding the video share thing... I hate the idea of no YT share (and hate even more the idea of creating a Facebook account) but what I'll be doing is this: Share to FB > D/L shared video from FB > U/L to YT. Hopefully that much will be possible.
Warning ,facebook video compression is really bad.

so that's why all driveclub video we got is from facebook...

well at least that kinda prove that the amazing footage is the real deal..

mitchman

Gold Member
Just realized, if the PS4 web browser supports HTML5 audio and video, we might be able to do decent network streaming; the web browser runs in the background, right? Fingers crossed. :/

Doesn't necessarily mean it'll support h.264 and/or webm, or mp3 and/or AAC. HTML 5 just defines the tag and apis, not what codecs the browser must support. Can always hope, though :)

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Relax guys, im sure a firmware update for MP3s and such will come...its such a basic feature, why alienate consumers?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, the facebook thing makes me wonder if facebook ponied up some money for a period of exclusivity.

bs000

I don't really see the big deal about mp3s. 500gb is going to be easy enough to fill up without putting music on it. I feel bad for those of you who care about that though. DLNA I never used either. Don't really know exactly what it is to be honest. Not being able to change our name is so disappointing though. Maybe i'll just go real name route.

I'm pretty sure most people stream their music from their PC, so no HD space is required.

Valnen

Seems like Sony don't think running these giant PS4 games from an external hard drive across a USB connection is a good idea.

Should be fine, USB 3.0 is fast enough.

I'd rather have the option to change the internal drive. We don't even know how games will run off external

We already have that option, we need both though because the internal drives are laptop sized. This isn't a one or the other thing. Sony has no excuse for not offering both.

flkraven

I already said this once, but I just wanted to get a response from you tech-savy people. Does the HDD size restriction confirm the OS is around 100GB? 160GB drive minimum, 50GB empty to play games, rest for OS?

Raymo

Can PS4 users send voice messages to each other?
Yes, PS4 users will be able to record voice messages up to 15 seconds long and send them to friends for later listening.

Confirmation on how they have upgraded their infrastructure. Pretty sure servers are required for this kind of functionality. It's why we didn't have it on PS3.

KORNdoggy

What type of hard drive does PS4 use?
PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

Wait...didn't that german website who showed "dat screw" say the space was larger, something like 12.5mm?

I really need a name change. I created my account 5 years ago using a name I created when I was 16 years old.

I kid you not, it's j00child

what does it mean? I have no idea. I'm not Jewish. I'm 30 now and it needs to be changed to THE GRAVITY BEAR.

pleaseeeeeeeee

Mondy

Banned
The biggest omission at launch for me is the dynamic themes. MP3 is big too but come the fuck on. Really? No changeable themes? A purely cosmetic feature that would have taken you all of 3 days to code into the UI.

curb

Banned
I'm surprised at the outrage online over things that we've known about for a while. Not everyone gets every little piece of information I guess...

That being said, I'm fairly happy overall. They'll never get a Music Unlimited subscription out of me so they should either let me play MP3s for custom soundtracks or at least sell an MP3 app once they realize it won't push MU subs.

panty

Also the sharing vids now useless to me as i don't use face book .
Man i know they in a rush but they really missing basic stuff .

If it don't change i won't buy a PS4 i don't live in on of the major regions so certain things mean more to people like us .

You're buying the PS4 if it can play mp3s? Okay.

There's less expensive gadgets for that you know.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't understand this sentiment. The things that are missing are accessory features to the experience.

Very few of it means anything to me though. On PS3 all I did was play games, not only did I not use any media features but I don't even know what some of them are (like people talking about DLNA or whatever in here, no idea what that even is). I'm not a tech or media person, I'm just a gamer.

Xater

I really have a hard time understanding why I can upload videos to Facebook but not to Youtube. Youtube makes way more sense!

Nymphae

Banned
I'm surprised at how many people care about the MP3 thing. Sure, it's odd, but personally I don't think I have ever played an MP3 on my PS3. I have an ipod, a phone, a computer, and a stereo, I'm fairly well covered for my music.

Caayn

I'm surprised at how many people care about the MP3 thing. Sure, it's odd, but personally I don't think I have ever played an MP3 on my PS3. I have an ipod, a phone, a computer, and a stereo, I'm fairly well covered for my music.
I used this a lot on the Xbox 360. Start up some epic music and then go smash havoc in multiplayer.
M77zqBK.png

OK this is bullshit. I love you sony but this is bullshit. Inexcusable.
tumblr_mktpgb3JWS1ry10fwo1_500.gif

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I really need a name change. I created my account 5 years ago using a name I created when I was 16 years old.

what does it mean? I have no idea. I'm not Jewish. I'm 30 now and it needs to be changed to THE GRAVITY BEAR.

pleaseeeeeeeee

Become a jew
Learn jujitsu
And all will bow before you

beast786

I think a lot of it has to do with having a giant backlog to get through still along with not being excited by the launch titles.

But on principle, I don't like rewarding things like this.

Fair enough ;)

Both the points make sense. Principle and backlog

Some Nobody

pleaseeeeeeeee

First person I've seen who honestly needs a name change, if only so as not to offend anybody. In general I could give a shit about changing one's name; I've been SageShinigami since 1999/2000.

Valnen

pleaseeeeeeeee

I'm not great at math but something doesn't seem to add up here.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Does the MP3 and DLNA thing also mean no support for custom tracks in games? Because you could do a whole lot of customization in things like the NBA2K games.

Fuck you Sony, fuck you.

Will I be able to play background music while I play PS4 games?

Yes, the Music Unlimited streaming service will allow you to listen to music while you play PS4 games. A subscription to Music Unlimited is required. Get full details here.

That is some serious fucking bullshit. Cant fkn play my own fkn music on the damn thing.

I'm not great at math but something doesn't seem to add up here.

I was still using j00child up until like 25 years old, at which point I realized it was probably actually a bad name to use. then i named myself after my fat dog who has his own gravitational pull, aka THE GRAVITY BEAR

Top Bottom