• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II Price/Release date announced: $40, May 26th

The new box art has 2 Kens and 2 Ryus, granted one is Violent and the other is Evil so they are technically different, so not nearly as bad :)

There is something about Evil Ryu and Violent Ken being on the box that's super lame to me. Especially because at first glance they do just look like another Ryu and Ken and it's like... they could fit two versions on Ken and Ryu on there but they can't fit the other classic characters people care about on there? They really should have shrunk that art down to make it all fit better.

Also, I just want to point out...
...of course the price was going to be at least $40. This is a packaged retail game launching in the first 6 months of a console's life. You have fewer choices, so the prices are always at or near the maximum MSRP, even for "smaller" games. This has happened with every console launch, ever, so I don't see why anyone would be surprised.

You don't have a Street Fighter avatar and username, so hopefully pointing this out goes better for you than it did for me. :D

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I will pick it up for cheap a couple months after... Doubt the game will stay long at this price.

DrArchon

Why did they give Bengus more time to do the box art for this than SFV?

$40 seems like a lot. How much was HDR when it released way back when? Granted that didn't have a revolutionary FIRST PERSON MODE, so maybe the value proposition has changed.

UberTag

This is far too pricey for a game that effectively necessitates being played on a console with a Pro Controller due to the absence of a competent D-pad on the Left Joy-Con. Especially when far more affordable console-based versions of this game are likely already owned by anyone who would be interested in picking this up.

That said, I would entertain buying this for the Switch if a new left Joy-Con was released with a Vita-style D-pad. I'm probably going to avoid all fighting games on the system until we get one of those.

Utterly laughable price point.

Nothing they've shown is worth more than 20 dollars, given how it mostly reuses assets from a game that launched at $15. The goddamn Marvel 3 port on the other consoles is $30 FFS.

The pricing for the smaller Switch games has been ridiculous.

There is something about Evil Ryu and Violent Ken being on the box that's super lame to me. Especially because at first glance they do just look like another Ryu and Ken and it's like... they could fit two versions on Ken and Ryu on there but they can't fit the other classic characters people care about on there? They really should have shrunk that art down to make it all fit better.

The old poster it's based on did a far better job on that front.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
The worst thing about this is SNES Virtual Console with online is part of Nintendo's online strategy so this is either almost completely redundant once SF2 Turbo releases or Capcom won't bother with virtual console.
That's quite the FUD there, considering a SNES version of Super Turbo (Super moves that require full meter) does not exist.

Oh nice, it is coming out physically in English?!

Don't care about the price.

Well I do care, I'd like it to be lower of course, I am a very cheap person in general, but.... I'll still buy this day 1, I'm sorry! :(

Baleoce

I do like that this has a true old graphics mode unlike the weird one that was in HD Remix. The lack of the OC Remix soundtrack is a bummer though and $40 is a rough proposition for a digital copy of this game. Even for the physical copy I feel like $30 would be more appropriate. Having said that, I'm part of the problem as I'll probably be buying this :/

Shame. This is easily the best version of Fei Long's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFBIEd993ac

I'd buy it on PS4 or Vita, if it were available. :(

But I guess they're trying to sell to those who are desperate for Switch games to justify another tablet sitting around their house.

Yes I'm salty.

Wasn't this only $20 on PS3?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I guess we shouldn't be surprised by the price when you have games like Just Dance 2017, which you can get for as low as under $20 on other platforms, releasing for $59.99 on the Switch.

Actually it looks like a Neo Geo Pocket Color game.

And that's great.

It also feels unfinished (and it is still in early access on Steam, to be fair) and its roster is pretty lacking. I like it enough that I will buy it again on Switch, but honestly...I'd still rather play a repackaged SF2 over it.

Matticers

I was going to buy it digital if the price was a bit cheaper. But that's some nice box art and with the GCU discount, I can handle paying $32 or so for a physical copy.

But yeah, I expect this to be on sale for at least ten dollars off within a couple months after release for those who prefer to wait.

Oregano

That's quite the FUD there, considering a SNES version of Super Turbo (Super moves that require full meter) does not exist.

The wider nostalgia audience won't really care though. SF2 Turbo for $8 is much better value than this for $40.

L Thammy

We saw the art earlier, didn't we?

4d2ba3dfec88d78223c1ehnkbg.jpg

see5harp

Why did they give Bengus more time to do the box art for this than SFV?

$40 seems like a lot. How much was HDR when it released way back when? Granted that didn't have a revolutionary FIRST PERSON MODE, so maybe the value proposition has changed.

HDR was considered a PREMIUM downloadable game at $19.99 IIRC.

Ridley327

Most game + DLC physical bundles are notably cheaper than buying everything individually, though. There's also Puyo Puyo Tetris at $40 on Switch and $30 on PS4. Just Dance 2017 at $60 on Switch and $50 retail on other platforms. It's pretty clear that there's a launch markup on certain games, and I'm just curious if third parties are even allowed by Nintendo to release physical games for cheaper than $40 at this point, because so far, there are none.

I'm pretty sure the physical release of Has-Been Heroes is releasing at $20. There's no doubt that there's some launch period price gouging going on, but I'm not seeing a lot of evidence that it's some kind of Nintendo mandate. There are also some cases where they're not just pricing it higher and calling it a day: the digital version of Puyo Puyo Tetris is $30 (and the physical version throwing in some keychains, too), and Just Dance 2017 comes with three free months of their DLC streaming service. Even BoI is packing in a number of physical goods to make the price go down smoother.

Pricing can always be better, but there's nothing terribly nefarious going on with the Switch software pricing by and large. USF2 is really the first one that's been really questionable, as the first-person mode looks amateur and the additions being made to the core game don't scream "$25 increase!" on the surface.

What were they thinking? The price is a massive blunder, wtf. Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition launched with the 3DS at $40.

I know it'll drop like two weeks later but they shouldn't be surprised when it bombs at full price.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
How much time and money was wasted on the first person hadoken mode nobody asked for or wanted that jacked up the price?
Yeah not the best decision. Seems like Capcom just wanna somehow cash on the launch after SFV lackluster performance.

As said... I will own the game sooner or later but I can wait for a eShop sale or retailer slashing the price. Which will happen before this Holiday... Especially if Smash Bros. SWITCH is happening this year including all the DLC.

dan2026

I love how there is an exclamation point after the price.

$39.99!

Its as if they believe its a good deal and are emphasising it.
Its amazing how out of touch these people can be.

I love how there is an exclamation point after the price.

$39.99!

Its as if they believe its a good deal and are emphasising it.
Its amazing how out of touch these people can be.
Hah. I'm a Street Fighter nut, so I'll probably buy it, but this is bound to be on sale before the end of the year. So hold out if you can.

FinKL

So it's confirmed it's only 2 "new" characters?

$40 is kind of steep, but I definitely want to get it down the line.

If I were to get a Switch at launch I'd probably look at Pocket Rumble first then this.

Fredrik

Actually it looks like a Neo Geo Pocket Color game.

And that's great.
Same problem, for me. You know I really love retro games of all kinds, retro gaming is my passion, but I'm not at all into new games with retro look. I don't like the look of old games, I like how they play and that the memories takes me back to my childhood. I don't know, these new retro-looking games, to me it just feels like they're taking advantage of us nostalgics. Super Metroid takes my vote for the best game of all time but I wouldn't want Super Metroid 2 to look the same, 60fps side-scrolling with 4K hand-drawn art, oh yes, 16bit pixelated look, oh no.

Most game + DLC physical bundles are notably cheaper than buying everything individually, though. There's also Puyo Puyo Tetris at $40 on Switch and $30 on PS4. Just Dance 2017 at $60 on Switch and $50 retail on other platforms. It's pretty clear that there's a launch markup on certain games, and I'm just curious if third parties are even allowed by Nintendo to release physical games for cheaper than $40 at this point, because so far, there are none.

Isaac also includes exclusive sticker sheets, an instruction manual based on the manual of The Legend of Zelda on NES and is the only way to get the game physical. The deal breaker with that is that this is limited to first run copies if I remember correctly. I would rather have just had the base game so the package could have been $20 possibly, but I don't mind the price since I got it for about $25-30 thanks to GCU and Visa Checkout.

Same with how I got Puyo Puyo Tetris for the same price on the same deal, which includes key chains as a justification for its $10 more price tag (not that I think key chains are worth five dollars each, but what do I know?). I don't know the details with Just Dance and I think USFII is really pricey for what it is and is definitely a wait for a sale/discount game. Has Been Heroes is a game that's $20 on Switch and that's physical so that's, at least, one title.

JeTmAn81

$40 for Street Fighter II. Niiiiiiiiiiice.

$40? I don't remember what I paid for this on PS3 like 5 years ago but I know it wasn't $40!

Absurd pricing.

I think you're confusing this with Street Fighter IV. It's Street Fighter II. You know, from the early 90's.

L Thammy

I like this A LOT better than the box art we are getting. The box art is too far zoomed in, cutting off too much stuff ex: Guile's face is cut in half.

The big issue is that the logo covers Dhalsim's face in the cover, so Sagat's just grinning like an idiot at some inexplicable fireball.
Also it makes Honda look kind of like a butt.

FSLink

Banned
OC Remix arranged OST as an option gone, no Turbo mode settings, no way to play Super Turbo without any of the new suspect balance changes...and $40?

Fucking nope.

I'm pretty sure the physical release of Has-Been Heroes is releasing at $20. There's no doubt that there's some launch period price gouging going on, but I'm not seeing a lot of evidence that it's some kind of Nintendo mandate. There are also some cases where they're not just pricing it higher and calling it a day: the digital version of Puyo Puyo Tetris is $30 (and the physical version throwing in some keychains, too), and Just Dance 2017 comes with three free months of their DLC streaming service. Even BoI is packing in a number of physical goods to make the price go down smoother.

Pricing can always be better, but there's nothing terribly nefarious going on with the Switch software pricing by and large. USF2 is really the first one that's been really questionable, as the first-person mode looks amateur and the additions being made to the core game don't scream "$25 increase!" on the surface.

Ok, Has Been Heroes being $20 is a huge relief. Glad it's most likely not a Nintendo mandate. USF2 should absolutely be priced at $20 too. Hopefully the digital version ends up being cheaper, but I doubt it.

SalvaPot

Ouch, not even on launch to justify the price. I can see this game easily dropping to $20 later on, and I am sure Capcom planned for it.

Because if it was $20 would want it to be $10 and so on.

Top Bottom