• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II Price/Release date announced: $40, May 26th

$40 is the standard 3DS/DS price point and I appreciate games existing at that price at all on Switch as it's a more appropriate price for mid-budget handheld-type games.

I'm not sure if this is right for that. If it was on 3DS even I'd expect it to maybe be a $30 budget release. Maybe it's just the launch premium? Like there's not a ton else to buy so maybe they think they can get away with a bit extra.

I really hope that a company releases a pair of fighting Joy-Cons which have d-pads worthy of Street Fighter!

Madcatz, Hori where you at? Even SNES style Joy-Cons would be better than what we currently have. All footage of Street Fighter on the Switch has been with the Pro Controller.

bwahahhahaha

pBvj3wB.gif

$40 is insane.

SSF2HDRemix launched at $15 last gen

Rezae

$20 maybe... the fact there isn't a dpad to use outside of the Pro controller makes this title all the more confusing. Not a fan of this Switch "premium" pricing that seems to be going on with some titles.

alf717

I didn't know Chun Li had tattoos. Price is a little too high. If the HD sprite work was amazing I would consider the cost worth it.

Berordn

It also feels unfinished (and it is still in early access on Steam, to be fair) and its roster is pretty lacking. I like it enough that I will buy it again on Switch, but honestly...I'd still rather play a repackaged SF2 over it.

I actually don't know much about the game, my first exposure to it was the Nindie direct yesterday. I just recognized the art style and thought it was a great thing to pay tribute to.

Same problem, for me. You know I really love retro games of all kinds, retro gaming is my passion, but I'm not at all into new games with retro look. I don't like the look of old games, I like how they play and that the memories takes me back to my childhood. I don't know, these new retro-looking games, to me it just feels like they're taking advantage of us nostalgics. Super Metroid takes my vote for the best game of all time but I wouldn't want Super Metroid 2 to look the same, 60fps side-scrolling with 4K hand-drawn art, oh yes, 16bit pixelated look, oh no.

Not trying to discredit your opinion at all but this is kind of a strange thought to bring up in a thread about a new version of SF2, which itself is banking in on nostalgia.

Great boxart, glad it's physical in the US, horrible price. But it might bomb at that price and you can get it half off eventually.

border

You feel bad for someone who can afford to buy and enjoy a game?

If anything we would pity you. We can afford the game and get to enjoy it before you do.

Is this still a gaming forum?

When will these sheep wake up and start paying only the prices I think are fair?

Slayven

40 dollars for street fighter 2 in 2017? Out their goddamn minds

that box art looks great

the Switch section at retailers is going to be loaded with great box art, damn

At these prices yeah they will never have to worry about it being barren

jmizzal

If this was a launch game they would be able to get away with $40 price, but by May, the Switch will have a lot more games and I dont think many people will buy it at that price by then

Unison

I've never understood establishing pricing tiers based on graphics. Yet plenty of gaffers fall into this trap.

Are you defending this price?

The game was released years ago on Xbox 360 for $15.

This has some small additions, but nothing that makes this feel like anything but a (misguided) cash grab.

GrayFoxPL

I didn't know Chun Li had tattoos. Price is a little too high. If the HD sprite work was amazing I would consider the cost worth it.

That might be see through fabric with pattern. Capcom didn't do a single new sprite, a single character frame. Ridiculous.

Fredrik

Not trying to discredit your opinion at all but this is kind of a strange thought to bring up in a thread about a new version of SF2, which itself is banking in on nostalgia.
No worry it's just a feeling I have, it's (basically) the same classic game and it looks really good, in the end it hits my nostalgic nerve just right. I know I should wait until it's in the sales bin, and maybe I do I don't know. I'm not furious about the price anyhow since it's retail release.
Pocket Rumble though... I'm sure there is a great game underneath but there is no nostalgia, at least not for me, it's just a new game which looks old.

Skilletor

I've never understood establishing pricing tiers based on graphics. Yet plenty of gaffers fall into this trap.

It has nothing to do with graphics and everything to do with the fact that it was a 20 dollar XBLA/PSN title not long ago. AND it's yet another port of a game that's over 20+ years old.

But, really, I don't think another SF2 title is selling very much no matter the price point. It's a calculated move aimed at a market that would buy the game no matter the price. Obviously Capcom thinks they'll make more money aiming at that market than making it cheaper for the random people it might attract that way.

Personally thought NGPC games looked awful even at the time and the look of that game emulating it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I think CPS2 games and lots of games/fighters from that era look timeless to this day.

After paying $90 total for Street Fighter 5 and never playing it, this price certainly is a huge turn off.

Looking forward to that great looking indie fighting game however!

Vitacat

I don't need this game. Not for $40. Not even for $32 with GCU.

I already feel dumb enough for ordering Bomberman R. At least it's actually a completely new game in its franchise.

Gestault

I know there are changes, but wasn't the SFII HD remake this is largely based on a $20 digital release originally, the price for which was sort of balked at at launch?

Are you defending this price?

The game was released years ago on Xbox 360 for $15.

This has some small additions, but nothing that makes this feel like anything but a (misguided) cash grab.

I don't think any of us can rightly judge what the final product will be. I trust the market and Capcom to price games accordingly. They almost always do. Yet, Nintendo games are always criticized for their price. Odd

Oregano

If you're looking for a new Switch release at the end of May please buy Disgaea 5. Nippon Ichi could do with the cash.

Where do people get the notion that this is a port of HDR? It's rebalancing the game with new sprites, new UI and a new matchmaking system.

Top Bottom