• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II Price/Release date announced: $40, May 26th

I was hype for this but i have enough content to wait for some kinda deal. Without the nindies id probably day 1 this but i can wait.

Why would you feel bad? The people who are paying the $40 obviously think the game is worth $40...myself included. If you don't, that's great. Wait for a price drop or don't buy the game at all.

Well I still feel bad. Money is tight for me so every cent matters to me with all these new games out. Capcom is clearly taking advantage of early adopters, i guess, rightfully so.

More power to you, its important and vital for all of us that the Switch gets a good attachrate.

Shadoken

If they really HAD to maintain a 40$ pricing because of Nintendo or w/e. They could have just called it Ultra Street Fighter. And thrown in USF4 in there as well. Could have justified the price , instead of that godawful FPS shit.

Yeah, I'll probably get it. These days, I'm willing to pay a premium for physical releases. I mean, that's most likely what it would be if, say, Limited Run Games were releasing it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
$40 is a great price for Street Fighter 2.

Oh wait, its 2017, not 1995

Cepheus

It would have been nice if it was more like Hyper, or they added one of the III games as well and made it a double pack. But I'll probably end up buying it anyway.

Madness

$40 for essentially 2 new characters when the HD Remix was a bit costly at $15 for 360 and PS3. It'll still sell though. Can't blame them when so many will drop full price to play on Switch.

Nice, I'm looking forward their excuse to stop support the thing when this bombs.
Btw, they ported MT Framework to Switch for this 1st person mod. Yet, they couldn't bring Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 to Switch... which is releasing in the same month.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nice, I'm looking forward their excuse to stop support the thing when this bombs.
Btw, they ported MT Framework to Switch for this 1st person mod. Yet, they couldn't bring Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 to Switch... which is releasing in the same month.

marvel is $25 btw :p

Vitacat

If they really HAD to maintain a 40$ pricing because of Nintendo or w/e. They could have just called it Ultra Street Fighter. And thrown in USF4 in there as well. Could have justified the price , instead of that godawful FPS shit.

SF2+SF4 on one cart?

Now THAT I'd buy for $40.

SenkiDala

I love SF2 but $40 is insane.

I understand what you're saying. But why video games always receive such comments when it's about "remasters" of older games? I dunno, when they release the 100th re-release of Blade Runner in BR4Kwhatever, it STILL costs the same (or more) than the first release, and everyone is ok with that.

Why when it's video games, re-release/remasters HAVE TO BE cheap as fuck to be ok?

What does this even mean? Nintendo is launching with a $60 game (Zelda), $50 game (1 2 Switch), and $20 (Snipperclips). They have price flexibility if they want. Nintendo isn't forcing them to do anything

I understand what you're saying. But why video games always receive such comments when it's about "remasters" of older games? I dunno, when they release the 100th re-release of Blade Runner in BR4Kwhatever, it STILL costs the same (or more) than the first release, and everyone is ok with that.

Why when it's video games, re-release/remasters HAVE TO BE cheap as fuck to be ok?
Especially with all new hand draw sprites...

It's like people think labor is free or something...

Pejo

19.99 was my sweet spot. Probably won't end up getting it now. I have HD Remix already on PS3 and that first person mode does not look fun past a "ok i'll try it out" phase.

If there was a time to charge 40 for this, I guess it's now at launch when pickin's be slim.

19.99 was my sweet spot. Probably won't end up getting it now. I have HD Remix already on PS3 and that first person mode does not look fun past a "ok i'll try it out" phase.

If there was a time to charge 40 for this, I guess it's now at launch when pickin's be slim.

It's not at launch though.

Gren

People have very mixed opinions on them, but I probably would've been OK paying $40 for the Udon sprites when they were first commissioned back in 2008(?). But I didn't have to, Capcom only charged $15 for them. Kind of sets a precedent in this case.

Neoxon

Could this lead to releases of SF 3 and 4 on Switch? UMvC3 would be welcome too
I'd be down for SFIII: Third Strike & UMvC3, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if they skipped over USFIV. It's a solid game, don't get me wrong. But as far as older SF games go, I don't think it'll stand the test of time like SFII & III have (though its contributions towards reviving the FGC can't be understated).

That said, I really hope that MvCI gets a port on the Switch.

Skilletor

These "new" hand drawn sprites were released 9 years ago for 15 bucks.

A remaster was released 9 years ago for 15 bucks.

impirius

Sorry, we'd love to support Switch, but our sales data shows nobody is buying our games on that platform for whatever reason. We'll try again with Mega Man Anniversary Collection Plus for $50 on Switch 2

LOL

We're about to see "due to low sales of SF2, we have no plans for future fighters on the console"
At least we know it'll be on sale for $5 bucks at some point looking at SF4 3ds

Yeah, your first sentence. Capcom will deliberately misinterpret it and pull out a half-assed excuse to sit on the SF IP from this point forward, absolving themselves of any blame whatsoever. Lord knows between this and how SFV turned out, they (for the time being) wanted nothing to do with the IP as it is. Seems as if they are trying to run their own franchise into the ground.

This should had been $30 at best, and even then that's pushing it for many people.

Shadoken

What does this even mean? Nintendo is launching with a $60 game (Zelda), $50 game (1 2 Switch), and $20 (Snipperclips). They have price flexibility if they want. Nintendo isn't forcing them to do anything

Thats why I put a "IF" over there. And I was talking about physical games also isnt Binding of isaac $40 on the switch? Something is definitely up.

L Thammy

I just noticed that Chun Li is pigeontoed on the cover. Otherwise it's one of my favourite official images of Chun.

These "new" hand drawn sprites were released 9 years ago for 15 bucks.

A remaster was released 9 years ago for 15 bucks.
People have very mixed opinions on them, but I probably would've been OK paying $40 for the Udon sprites when they were first commissioned back in 2008(?). But I didn't have to, Capcom only charged $15 for them. Kind of sets a precedent in this case.

Oh, I didn't realize it was the same art.

So, I guess those of us buying day one are paying for the MT Framework port job.

Yeah, $30 would've been pushing it, but for a physical release I wouldn't have complained too much.

$40 is just too high. Plain and simple. It isn't adding enough to justify the price. The ideal sweet spot would've been $20 or even $25.

Top Bottom