• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II Price/Release date announced: $40, May 26th

kirblar

Are any Switch games under $40? I'm inclined to believe this is Nintendo's price point, not theirs. They keep their games high priced for as long as they can.

StAidan

Don't know if I'll buy day one, but the $40 price tag is fine with me. Street Fighter II is one of those games that doesn't depreciate in value, as far as I'm concerned. (Plus, I haven't played it since the SNES days.)

KAL2006

Banned
Capcom will probably decide if a port of Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite is worth doing after seeing the sales of this.

Dartastic

Okay, I think it's at least $10 too much but this needs to be repeated:

No it isn't.
Uh, except it is? It has two "new" characters that are basically just enhanced versions of Ken and Ryu, a stupid first person mode that nobody asked for and nobody will actually play much of, and like, some art related stuff. It's absolutely a "repackaged HD remix" that they're trying to sell for $40 dollars. It's a rip off, and it's insulting to their player base.

AniHawk

$40 is fine for what is essentially nostalgia in a box. bomberman is $50 for the same reason and i think sega's leaving money on the table by not having a physical standalone switch version at $40.

Are any Switch games under $40? I'm inclined to believe this is Nintendo's price point, not theirs. They keep their games high priced for as long as they can.

Snipperclips and a bunch of indie games. Come on now. It's like people don't get 3rd parties set thwir own prices and that sometimes devs/publishers price games too high

Dartastic

$40 is fine for what is essentially nostalgia in a box.
No! It absolutely isn't! This isn't some new game that we've never played before. This is the same damn game that came out on XBL 9 years ago, with two "new" characters. To add further insult to injury, this game has been been released how many times on how many different consoles now? Charging $40 dollars for this is INSANE and if you buy this crap you're an absolute fool.

Edit: This game has come out (via Wikipedia) on...

3D0. MS-Dos/Amiga. Playstation. Sega Saturn. Dreamcast. PS2. Xbox. PS3. Xbox 360. GBA. GTFO if you think that a game that's come out that many times is worth $40 dollars.

Skilletor

No! It absolutely isn't! This isn't some new game that we've never played before. This is the same damn game that came out on XBL 9 years ago, with two "new" characters. To add further insult to injury, this game has been been released how many times on how many different consoles now? Charging $40 dollars for this is INSANE and if you buy this crap you're an absolute fool.

See, this is bullshit.

I'm not a fool if I choose to spend my money on a game I'll enjoy. You can disagree with the price, but how I, or anybody else, choose to spend money on my entertainment doesn't merit insults.

Oregano

$40 is fine for what is essentially nostalgia in a box. bomberman is $50 for the same reason and i think sega's leaving money on the table by not having a physical standalone switch version at $40.

Bomberman is a new game, Sonic Mania actually is too. This isn't.

this isn't the same game

this is a new version of sf2

Bomberman is a new game, Sonic Mania actually is too. This isn't.

yes, it is, this is a new game/version of sf2 that has never been released before

Ridley327

For Sonic Mania? You might be onto something there, but I kinda get the feeling that Nintendo probably nabbed the marketing deal for the new Sonic Team game and will instead push that title.

AniHawk

Edit: This game has come out (via Wikipedia) on...

3D0. MS-Dos/Amiga. Playstation. Sega Saturn. Dreamcast. PS2. Xbox. PS3. Xbox 360. GBA. GTFO if you think that a game that's come out that many times is worth $40 dollars.

nintendo fans didn't play it though - i mean, not in a long time at least. for this fanbase it's a pretty acceptable price point, which is why you're probably seeing people saying it's fine.

i think games can also cost as much as a publisher thinks it's worth as long as an audience agrees.

See, this is bullshit.

I'm not a fool if I choose to spend my money on a game I'll enjoy. You can disagree with the price, but how I, or anybody else, choose to spend money on my entertainment doesn't merit insults.
I agree that he doesn't need to insult anyone who buys it but I do get that he feels that people should vote with their wallet and not support this at the price capcom are trying to sell this to people cause it sets a precedent for others to do the same for games in a similar situation. I mean didn't the outage for MGS ground Zeroes pricing get Konami to drop the price? Maybe the same can be done with capcom

Dartastic

this isn't the same game

this is a new version of sf2

yes, it is, this is a new game/version of sf2 that has never been released before
Fine, it's got some balance changes. Balance changes, which will almost certainly be minor, do not warrant a $40 price tag for what is essentially a port. It's not a new game. You can go onto XBL or PSN right now and buy HDR for like, $10 or $15. Go do that instead if you really wanna play some SF2.
I don't think anyone was telling you what to buy or not.

But c'mon, this game is in now way new. It's 99% recycled. And the 1% that isn't is not very compelling.

Vitacat

See, this is bullshit.

But c'mon, this game is in no way new. It's 99% recycled. And the 1% that isn't is not very compelling.

No! It absolutely isn't! This isn't some new game that we've never played before. This is the same damn game that came out on XBL 9 years ago, with two "new" characters.

It's not HD Remix. That was Sirlin's stupid thing. It's an actual re-balanced ST with two "new" characters and online play. I don't think this is worth $40 at all, mind you, but you're being deliberately misleading with your posts.

But c'mon, this game is in now way new. It's 99% recycled. And the 1% that isn't is not very compelling.

It is a new version of SF2. Much like how HF is a new version of SF2. Or SSF2 is a new version of SF2. For the younger folk, this is a new version like SF4 and SSF4. Gameplay changes and 2 new chars.

No, it's an enhanced port at best(of either a 10 year old game or a 25 year old game).

please show the sf2 game that allows for throw breaks or has evil ken/ryu

Spy

I wonder if the people who are coming to this games defense of it not being an enhanced port would be as defensive if it weren't an exclusive (likely timed)?

I'll wait for the PS4 version and pick it up at $24.99.

Oregano

It is a new version of SF2. Much like how HF is a new version of SF2. Or SSF2 is a new version of SF2. For the younger folk, this is a new version like SF4 and SSF4. Gameplay changes and 2 new chars.

please show the sf2 game that allows for throw breaks or has evil ken/ryu

Wow such massive additions!/s

Fine, it's got some balance changes. Balance changes, which will almost certainly be minor, do not warrant a $40 price tag for what is essentially a port. It's not a new game. You can go onto XBL or PSN right now and buy HDR for like, $10 or $15. Go do that instead if you really wanna play some SF2.

Throws don't even work the same way. You might as well tell people to buy Xrd Sign instead of Rev because "it's the same".
Guess all fighting games are interchangeable when you don't give a shit how they play.

Skilletor

But c'mon, this game is in no way new. It's 99% recycled. And the 1% that isn't is not very compelling.

Nowhere did I dispute that or say anybody was telling another what to buy or that this is a new game. I've been saying the opposite throughout the thread. I'm saying calling anybody a name because of how they choose to spend their money on videogames is unnecessary.

And yeah, the game isn't new. But the changes they're making, for people that care about SF2, will be a new experience. I'll get hundreds of hours out of this between friends and playing online.

Should it be cheaper? Absolutely.

Is it worth it to me? Yep.

For SF2, it is a huge change. It fundamentally changes the gameplan of several characters.

hatchx

Banned
Japanese developers aren't very competitive with their pricing, atleast not on switch.

1,2,Switch at 50$
Bomberman at 50$
Street Fighter 2+ at 40$

Yup. Three games I'll be skipping mostly due to price. Meanwhile, that fantastic indie lineup of brand new games for fair prices...

you obviously have never played ST

As mentioned, the throw breaks alone are a game changer.

Nothing wrong with complaining about the price but to say that the balance changes are minor or that is it the same game is just plain ignorance.

BibiMaghoo

Forget the price and content, that box art is a fucking travesty. Not only is the art piece itself pretty bad, but the section they use repeats characters with different versions while blocking others with the art or cutting them off the edge. What a mess.

Forget the price and content, that box art is a fucking travesty. Not only is the art piece itself pretty bad, but the section they use repeats characters with different versions while blocking others with the art or cutting them off the edge. What a mess.

i mean technically those aren't the same characters lolol

edit: yeah wow they whiffed that one.

Skilletor

There's a defense for for everything.

I'm not even defending it. Game should be cheaper.

That doesn't mean that at this price it isn't worth it to some people. I'm not stupid or a fool for spending 40 bucks on a new version of a game that I still play to this very day.

I mean, if brook comes out with a converter, at least. I'm not spending money on new sticks for a switch. :p

Shadoken

No! It absolutely isn't! This isn't some new game that we've never played before. This is the same damn game that came out on XBL 9 years ago, with two "new" characters. To add further insult to injury, this game has been been released how many times on how many different consoles now? Charging $40 dollars for this is INSANE and if you buy this crap you're an absolute fool..

This is kinda shit I see all the time on GAF and it needs to be called out.

Is the game overpriced ? Absolutely Yes.
But calling out people who are buying it is stupid. Who the fuck are you to decide what people do with their money.

Also the game is completely rebalanced along with new mechanics , so for the people who care about those things. It is a new game , and they might get hundreds of hours from it.
There are tons of people who double dip or even triple dip for a PC version and pay $60 for a game they already own worth ? No. But to those people it is. Doesnt mean they are fools.

Glass Joe

C'mon man. When Capcom created HD Remix, they drew all new sprite work for 16 characters and changed game balance. They decided all that effort was worth charging $15 for.

For Ultra, they have two new palette-swapped characters and have changed game balance. This, however, is clearly worth $40 to you?

Top Bottom