• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unannounced Sony / PlayStation hardware coming soon (Asus employee say is a new handheld)

Fake

Are we allowed to say "Fake and gay' anymore? Cause that's what this is.

Walter White Walk GIF by Breaking Bad

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It might be an April Fools joke, but the reality of the situation is that SNY could save significantly on manufacturing costs and shipping if they were to release a PS5 Slim around the size and weight of the Xbox Series S.

We’ll see one sooner or later given the crazy expense that the current variation of PS5 has to be costing Sony. Increase those margins on the base console before you release. “pro” machine with some HUGE margins!

nial

Gold Member
It already exists. Even better, it's a PS5 handheld.

Go download Returnal, TLOU 1, GoW, Miles Morales, Days Gone and Uncharted on steam. Buy a Steam Deck. = profit.
But it cannot play The Last of Us Remastered (not remake), Infamous Second Son, Driveclub, Bloodborne, Tearaway Unfolded, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 1/2, Gran Turismo Sport/7, Shadow of the Colossus, Concrete Genie, MediEvil, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima and God of War Ragnarok, among others, so...
Don't get me wrong, the Steam Deck is great, but I want a handheld to be part of the same digital ecosystem as PS4/PS5.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It might be an April Fools joke, but the reality of the situation is that SNY could save significantly on manufacturing costs and shipping if they were to release a PS5 Slim around the size and weight of the Xbox Series S.

We’ll see one sooner or later given the crazy expense that the current variation of PS5 has to be costing Sony. Increase those margins on the base console before you release. “pro” machine with some HUGE margins!
Maybe but he is standing pretty firm on it and when it comes to PS hardware I would listen to this guy

So we have rumors about PS5 Slim, PS5 Pro (though I believe Slim is coming, but I don't believe in Pro version) and now what? Considering that Tom said that he hasn't leaked that thing yet - I wonder what that might be? 🤔

Last edited:
But it cannot play The Last of Us Remastered (not remake), Infamous Second Son, Driveclub, Bloodborne, Tearaway Unfolded, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 1/2, Gran Turismo Sport/7, Shadow of the Colossus, Concrete Genie, MediEvil, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima and God of War Ragnarok, among others, so...
Don't get me wrong, the Steam Deck is great, but I want a handheld to be part of the same digital ecosystem as PS4/PS5.
Drive Club I am pretty sure is shut off and is essentially unplayable. No one cares for Infamous Second Son. The Last of Us Remastered is irrelevant and outdated with Last of Us Part 1 existing thats available on PC. God of War Ragnarok will come to PC just like the first one did. It would very dumb to think that the sequel won't get a port.

Bloodborne doesn't even run good on a PS4. Yes, it's a fantastic game, but it needs a huge technical upgrade and is just wise to release a PS5 version alongside a PC. Simply porting Bloodborne to PC won't be good enough 8 years later after its original release.

Highly doubt anyone wants to play Tearway Unfolded or any of the Gravity Rush titles on PC after so many years. Games are too small and not mainstream enough and feel like indie titles.

Dreams was a wasted opportunity that should of released on PC day 1 and took too long to release and it doesn't even exist on the PS5 as far as I know. Sony fucked themselves with this one.

Shadow of the Colossus is a remake of a PS2 title. Is the PC version really needed at this point? GT7/Sport.. yeah maybe should come to PC, but it's a racing game. Racing games are way more fun to play on the consoles. MKB controls suck as for racing and fighting games.

Ghost of Tsushima is probably the next port alongside Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Also, Ratchet and Clank is another franchise that not many people really care for. The franchise has its following, but thats it.

Medieval is PS1 game and apparently the Remake didn't make a super hot splash to begin with when it came out. Doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Hmmm, most of your post was about why they won't port these specific games to PC, which would lead to emphasizing my desire to have a handheld device that can actually play these titles, don't you think?
also
Drive Club I am pretty sure is shut off and is essentially unplayable.
It's not, and...
The Last of Us Remastered is irrelevant and outdated with Last of Us Part 1 existing thats available on PC.
a remake doesn't make the original work suddenly "irrelevant" lol.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A Vita 2/PSP3 would have a 0% chance of happening & even of succeeding. The best they can do is something like PS4P, a portable PS4 tablet.

Lol, it has tons of reasons to succeed that your simply ignoring:

- a large viable portable market
- would be a hybrid like the switch
- tons of easily ported aaa exclusive titles that can easily be made due to similar architecture
- much easier for 3rd party support/ports
- cheaper storage

All of the above is nothing like the uphill battle the Vita faced.
A tablet makes zero sense.

Hmmm, most of your post was about why they won't port these specific games to PC, which would lead to emphasizing my desire to have a handheld device that can actually play these titles, don't you think?
also

It's not, and...

a remake doesn't make the original work suddenly "irrelevant" lol.

DriveClub

Driveclub Multiplayer servers were shut off on March 31st 2020.

Sad news today for fans of the PlayStation 4-exclusive racing game Driveclub. Sony has announced that it's now heading towards end-of-life status, as all the servers for the game are being shut down next year. Players will have until March 31st, 2020, to play the game online, after that Driveclub, Driveclub VR, and Driveclub Bikes will only function in an offline setting.

For anyone who wants to experience Driveclub in its true online format, now is the time to play it. Sony says the games and all their DLC will be removed from the PSN Store on August 31st, 2019, meaning they will no longer be purchasable.

Source: https://www.slashgear.com/ps4s-driveclub-will-shut-down-be-taken-offline-in-2020-31571657

You want them to release a game where majority of its functionality is turned off and only let them play solo and not let them enjoy the game how they should and how it wast meant to be in the first place? The DLC is also unaccessiable So its ok to re-release a half functioning product and charge a full price? Let it go, it is dead. The only way anyone would be playing it again is if they brought back the servers and released a new edition that includes all DLC.

The Last of Us Remastered

You were comparing it to a remaster and not the original that was actually released on the PS3 in June in the year 2023. And honestly, it does still make the Remastered version or any other version pointless for 99% of the population. The last of Us Part 1 is practically the same as the original with a much better engine, nicer animations and good quality of life changes, and upgraded visuals.

Why would a person in the year 2025 want to see ugly ass pixels from the year 2013 or 2014? The only real reason why anyone would want to play the original game from 2013 is for the sake of seeing how it looked and felt back then. Similar to FF7 from 1997. That's about it.

No, my most post was to explain to you that it would be pointless to put majority of these games that don't really matter anymore on PC. They're very old and outdated or have versions that have replaced them already such as The Last of Us Part 1. If you really want to play the remake of Shadow of Colossus then youll have to grab a PS4. I just don't see them releasing that on PC. The only it could happen maybe is a bundle thst includes both Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus for $40 or something like that.

Look, I get it that sometime people want to play older titles with better technical performance, thst was then and this is now. I also understand that it would be nice to play Bloodborne or some other titles on a handheld. I want Bloodborne on PC as well, and so do many other people. My post was too simply explain to you the current situation and why I believe they won't be releasing some of these games to PC.

The PS5 strategy is essentially releasing games on consoles first and then re-release on PC later. Gone are the exclusives days of anything or anyone. The only exception to this rule is the Nintendo, because Nintendo is Nintendo.

It's only a matter of time before Spiderman 2 and Wolverine also release on the PC. The purpose of the PS5 is simply going to be the fact those who want a stress free experience without worrying about technical issues at their earliest convenience then the PS5 is your best bet.

I believe that overtime going into the PS6 era the games will eventually start releasing day 1 for both systems. Especially if Sony is planning to have their GaaS titles to play out how they want too. They are promising 10 functioning online service games by 2025. It will be essential for those games to have as many players as possible throughout their life cycle, especially at the beginning. The number of concurrent players and feeding of consistent content will dictate whether these games will live or not.

I hope this clears some of it. I am not trying to cause any bad blood here. It's just an explanation man. You have every right to feel different about it. I am trying too look at this from a business perspective and more objectively than subjectively.

Who knows, maybe they will release a proper device that plays titles in a mobile format that's connected to servers that are running on the PS5 hardware.

Sure, this would be a far better solution than buying a steam deck and being forced to purchase games all over again on steam. But right now, Steam Deck is the closest thing we have to a mobile PS4/PS5.

Last edited:

Lasha

Vita 2 merged with Sony's phones would be ideal. Especially if Vita/PSP BC could be supported in some form. Some topics should be excluded from April fools.

nial

Gold Member
You want them to
I am?
Why would a person in the year 2025 want to see ugly ass pixels from the year 2013 or 2014? The only real reason why anyone would want to play the original game from 2013 is for the sake of seeing how it looked and felt back then.
Man, it doesn't even look bad or anything, it's perfectly fine and some people just want to be able to play the original version of a game (and sure, it's a remaster, but it's pretty much the 2013 title at 1080p/60fps). It sucks that, for example, we can't play the original versions of Demon's Souls and Kirby's Return to Dream Land on modern platforms, only the remakes.
No, my most post was to explain to you that it would be pointless to put majority of these games that don't really matter anymore on PC.
And I don't even disagree with you! See, my whole point was that a handheld PS4 could play all those games that aren't available on the Steam Deck. That's it.

Last edited:
I am?

Man, it doesn't even look bad or anything, it's perfectly fine and some people just want to be able to play the original version of a game (and sure, it's a remaster, but it's pretty much the 2013 title at 1080p/60fps). It sucks that, for example, we can't play the original versions of Demon's Souls and Kirby's Return to Dreamland on modern platforms, only the remakes.

And I don't even disagree with you! See, my whole point was that a handheld PS4 could play all those games that aren't available on the Steam Deck. That's it.

I don't believe the original TLOU is an ugly looking game. Me saying "ugly pixels" was just an expression for older visuals. It is a decent looking game for its time and has aged somewhat okay. But TLOU 1 Remake is a a night/day difference.

If I am not mistaken original Demon's Souls also has its servers shutdown. The remake exists because A) fans wanted it and B) its updated for the modern hardware and not many players got to experience the original Souls experience.

Kirby Return to Dreamland I've never played, nor do I know the history of it, so I have no opinion. And giving one would be disengenous.

I guess if you wanted to play those at 60fps 1080 or higher then I think your only answer is emulation? Idk how good emulation is these days for those machines on the PC.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I guess if you wanted to play those at 60fps 1080 or higher then I think your only answer is emulation? Idk how good emulation is these days for those machines on the PC.
And it might be possible on consoles too, the problem is that both PS5 and Switch don't have PS3 and Wii emulation respectively, which sucks.

MAtgS

Lol, it has tons of reasons to succeed that your simply ignoring:

- a large viable portable market
- would be a hybrid like the switch
- tons of easily ported aaa exclusive titles that can easily be made due to similar architecture
- much easier for 3rd party support/ports
- cheaper storage

All of the above is nothing like the uphill battle the Vita faced.
A tablet makes zero sense.
And Sony would be splitting development resources between it and PS5 when games require more manpower than ever. I very much see it suffering an even more extreme lack of 1st party support than the Vita did.

PS4P strikes me as more pragmatic: the entire PS4 library available day 1. Suddenly games like Ragnarok and Elden Ring being crossgen feel more justified because of it.

DrFigs

I'm honestly not getting the distinction between a tablet, a ps4 portable, and a vita 2. literally all sound the same to me.

scalman

They should go to portable again...i would go for that instead full home console more digital stuff and some AI stuff in that ..

Majormaxxx

Drive Club I am pretty sure is shut off and is essentially unplayable. No one cares for Infamous Second Son. The Last of Us Remastered is irrelevant and outdated with Last of Us Part 1 existing thats available on PC. God of War Ragnarok will come to PC just like the first one did. It would very dumb to think that the sequel won't get a port.

Bloodborne doesn't even run good on a PS4. Yes, it's a fantastic game, but it needs a huge technical upgrade and is just wise to release a PS5 version alongside a PC. Simply porting Bloodborne to PC won't be good enough 8 years later after its original release.

Highly doubt anyone wants to play Tearway Unfolded or any of the Gravity Rush titles on PC after so many years. Games are too small and not mainstream enough and feel like indie titles.

Dreams was a wasted opportunity that should of released on PC day 1 and took too long to release and it doesn't even exist on the PS5 as far as I know. Sony fucked themselves with this one.

Shadow of the Colossus is a remake of a PS2 title. Is the PC version really needed at this point? GT7/Sport.. yeah maybe should come to PC, but it's a racing game. Racing games are way more fun to play on the consoles. MKB controls suck as for racing and fighting games.

Ghost of Tsushima is probably the next port alongside Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Also, Ratchet and Clank is another franchise that not many people really care for. The franchise has its following, but thats it.

Medieval is PS1 game and apparently the Remake didn't make a super hot splash to begin with when it came out. Doesn't really matter.
Driveclub is completely and fully playable.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
And Sony would be splitting development resources between it and PS5 when games require more manpower than ever. I very much see it suffering an even more extreme lack of 1st party support than the Vita did.

PS4P strikes me as more pragmatic: the entire PS4 library available day 1. Suddenly games like Ragnarok and Elden Ring being crossgen feel more justified because of it.

Barely, it woukd take very little time to port down a ps5 version to modern architecture, or adapt a ps4 version. The ps4 only model you are suggesting would fail as it's not offering new games as they come out.

From your comments, I don't think you truely understand how hard it was to develop for the Vita vs how easy ports would be now. It woukd have a ton more support than vita from day 1.

StereoVsn

PS4 Portable with PS5 Streaming options would certainly be nice. Goes together well with new PS+ tiers too for as streaming.

That said I don't see Sony going there. How much audience is really there for such a device.

Top Bottom