• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 direct feed screens

jonnyp

Buckethead said:
Junior is correct.

Uncharted 1 looks fabulous, but it's not the best looking game out there.
I loved the game and it DOES still look good, but there are tons of areas that they needed to improve. Judging by what the Game Informer stuff said, they're trying to do that, but it was far from perfect on many issues across the board.

The main problem is PS3 owners were hoping desperately for any game to be their salvation to salvage their dying system and Uncharted was the perfect lubricant that allowed that to happen.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it had a handful of issues and it was way too damn short and a very simple game.

Basically, it had been done before. It was called Tomb Raider. Sure, this is detracting from the strengths of the game, but we must be objective here and not see things through fanboyishly rose-colored glasses.

:lol

LCGeek

formerly sane
iDoubleSpy said:
If you talked to me 2 years ago I would be jumping up and down over the technology video they released. I had to spend 700 because my case wouldnt fit all my new gear, so yeah I guess it was around 550 also :)

I do get around 25-30 FPS with the CCC+ mod which I think improves the visuals by a landslide. On the downside I have a 19" monitor and it didnt have Anti-Aliasing on.

I dont think I'll be able to play Crysis with AAx4 and a full resolution with my 24" for quite some time.

I'm in the same boat but I enjoy crysis gameplay immensely seeing as how I can't crank my system like I thought I could at this point. Was a bit pissed I couldn't build the system I wanted to this year, but seeing the new benchmark for intels new core give me up that when I do correct my pc tech time again this and a lot of things will be highly playable at the res and fps I want with no hitches.

rexor0717

Kaako said:
This page just went into overdrive mode!

3112217374_971dcf8539_o.gif
I swear, who brought the firewood?
Oh yah...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Buckethead said:
Junior is correct.

I loved the game and it DOES still look good, but there are tons of areas that they needed to improve. Judging by what the Game Informer stuff said, they're trying to do that, but it was far from perfect on many issues across the board.

The main problem is PS3 owners were hoping desperately for any game to be their salvation to salvage their dying system and Uncharted was the perfect lubricant that allowed that to happen.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it had a handful of issues and it was way too damn short and a very simple game.

Basically, it had been done before. It was called Tomb Raider. Sure, this is detracting from the strengths of the game, but we must be objective here and not see things through fanboyishly rose-colored glasses.

Go now.

MoeB

Manberg900 said:
LOL @ people using those bullshit PC games in their argument. Fuck Crysis. WHo the fuck even played that game? PC gaming is laughable. On top of that it's a fucking PC, a fucking computer literally. IT BETTER have the best looking games that's the least it can do.

But anyway consoles >>>>>> PC's for gaming period. PC's should no longer be in the discussion of games because it's a stagnant format for gaming. Meh Meh and Meh.

Sega Genesis >>>>>>>> PCs
What is this pile of garbage that I'm looking at.

Nooreo

Manberg900 said:
LOL @ people using those bullshit PC games in their argument. Fuck Crysis. WHo the fuck even played that game? PC gaming is laughable. On top of that it's a fucking PC, a fucking computer literally. IT BETTER have the best looking games that's the least it can do.

But anyway consoles >>>>>> PC's for gaming period. PC's should no longer be in the discussion of games because it's a stagnant format for gaming. Meh Meh and Meh.

I too had the blue screen of death. :( , its okay brother you are not alone.

AAK

Sony should get these 2 actors to play a role in the game... and it would sell quite a lot in India:

shahrukh_khan_friends_000.jpg

Lightning

Banned
Manberg900 said:

Oh Manberg... I like you but what have you just done? :lol

rexor0717

Manberg, I think i deleted you off my psn friends list on accident. I don't remember...but Im sure I had you as a friend at one point.

LCGeek said:
I'm in the same boat but I enjoy crysis gameplay immensely seeing as how I can't crank my system like I thought I could at this point. Was a bit pissed I couldn't build the system I wanted to this year, but seeing the new benchmark for intels new core give me up that when I do correct my pc tech time again this and a lot of things will be highly playable at the res and fps I want with no hitches.

I went AMD for once and I am stuck between going to those i7 chips or upgrading my AMD X2 in the future. Now if only I could get these annoying blue LED lights off my computer case now, I would sleep better at night :D

And now if I could enjoy uncharted in all its glory HD by buying an HDTV. poor me :p

Raistlin

Manberg900 said:

That will certainly help this thread.

bravo

J-Rzez

Buckethead said:
Junior is correct.

You know the game is fucking killer looking when you get posts like these patting each other on the back. "Salvage their dying system". :lol

Manberg900 said:

Just when I thought NeoGAF was full of nothing but intelligent gamers :lol

Onix said:
That will certainly help this thread.

bravo

*golf clap* ?

gantz85

Banned
J-Rzez said:
You know the game is fucking killer looking when you get posts like these patting each other on the back. "Salvage their dying system". :lol

The effort is so coordinated throughout PS3 AAA title threads that I figure there must actually be some organized movement motivating these posters.. Look at Uncharted, Killzone 2, LBP amongst many.. too many.

kiUNiT

megateto said:
Am I the only one thinking that the texture work is way beyond better than anything we have seen from the PS3?
No I agree, some of the best textures so far this gen IMHO. I did'nt feel the love for the first one, but these screens are making me want this one.

kiUNiT said:
No I agree, some of the best textures so far this gen IMHO. I did'nt feel the love for the first one, but these screens are making me want this one.

I think this is a much over looked thought about Uncharted 2.

I wonder how much will install to the HDD, and what size Blu-Ray disc they are using. If anything, that is going help with what with you said kiUNiT :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
iDoubleSpy said:

I wonder how much will install to the HDD, and what size Blu-Ray disc they are using. If anything, that is going help with what with you said kiUNiT :D
I doubt it'll have an install, just a rather lengthy initial load like Drake's Fortune. Killzone isn't going to have an install either.

DoomGyver

iDoubleSpy said:

No installs, and no load times (except for the initial load time)

ND hides their load times with cutscenes.

Irnbru

iDoubleSpy said:

My thoughts, at least on the HDD part. Uncharted 1 didn't have disk installs, KZ2 already said they were not going to have disk installs, Maybe they will, maybe they wont, but UC depends on streaming textures, seeing those two games, I don't think they will have an install.

Edit: Beaten

J-Rzez said:

The PS3 was dead in the water before Uncharted. Then after it, a lot of great games came out and started to turn around. It's a completely fair statement.

sun-drop said:
i've been gaming since the days of the C64 and uncharted is prob the single BESt game i've played , of it's type.

Yes, I'm not disputing this fact.

What I'm saying it's a pretty simple game, it was allowed to bring great visuals out of the gate. The most people you saw on screen was what? 5-6? So, given the fact that it was simple in comparison to very intense firefights, rocket battles, weather patterns, apocalpyic warzones with tons of pieces of garbage, destroyed buildings etc., it could have looked better. Enter Uncharted 2.

My point about Tomb Raider wasn't saying "man Uncharted is unoriginal, etc." rather it had a good base to draw off of with the influences from Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones so the art style wasn't a large stretch.

It had some great graphics, certainly, but also lacked in many areas visually. I mentioned in prior threads that on the technical (artistic) side it needed to employ subsurface scattering for more luminous facial features, plant life, etc. There was some fabulous textures but the character models lacked the most of all due to these subleties not being in place. Also the characters went "off model" during the cutscenes multiple time with unrealistic use of the brows for emotion, etc. So there's a handful of very fair things to gripe about.

So: it looked great and it's an awesome game (quit painting me to be a hater) and did have some amazing stuff like you said, but as a whole package it was not the best graphically for this very reason. My argument was not about the quality of the game in general which indeed is AAA, rather about it's graphics and presentation. So when someone says "this is the best looking game ever", I think it's more than fair to point to all of it's faults.

Jeez, touchy fuckers around here. Let me order you a cranberry juice. :lol

Firewire

Banned
iDoubleSpy said:

Who the fuck cares! If an install stops someone from playing the game it's their loss.

I'm glad everyone sparked interest in HDD topic :D

I don't care if it used 10MB or 10GB, or like you all think will be the case, none.

I am interested in how much space they are using on the Blu-Ray disc though.

It's obvious after playing that POS called MGS4 why Kojima Productions used all the disc, will Naughty Dog do the same?

jts

...hate me...
Prine said:
The graphics were good but not the best i've seen on PS3. Everything had a layer of vaseline over it, and the colours were off. I was not wowed by it. MGS4 on the other hand
...was fully done in shades of brown and grey and had bloom, thus it was RLY next-gen amirite?

And no, the vaseline layer criticism doesn't really apply to Uncharted.

CryptiK

Is that distance blur to good to be true?

and finally a Colourful shooter :D can't wait to play it I have to pic up a copy of Uncharted 1 first I rented it and it was great

Raistlin

iDoubleSpy said:
Just when I thought NeoGAF was full of nothing but intelligent gamers :lol

Come now, you know you've never believed that.

gantz85 said:
The effort is so coordinated throughout PS3 AAA title threads that I figure there must actually be some organized movement motivating these posters.. Look at Uncharted, Killzone 2, LBP amongst many.. too many.

Yeah ... I wonder, do they actually PM each other to coordinate?

Oh wait, they chat over Live.

EagleEyes

Screens look fantastic. Unfotunately it's ND we're talking about here and in motion we'll get the horrible screen tearing as usual. Everyone of there games including the Jak series on PS2 have had serious vsync issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this time hopefully they take care of this problem. It will still be Day 1 regardless.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
EagleEyes said:
Screens look fantastic. Unfotunately it's ND we're talking about here and in motion we'll get the horrible screen tearing as usual. Everyone of there games including the Jak series on PS2 have had serious vsync issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this time hopefully they take care of this problem. It will still be Day 1 regardless.

??????????????????????????

<@>__<@>

gantz85 said:

Makes me wonder why Phill Harrison left Sony... Hmmm?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
gantz85 said:

WHAT!? you talking bad about Sony or it's games!!!?!?!? I WILL CUT YOU! :lol :lol :lol :D :D :D :D

patsu

Buckethead said:

Having a small flaw like SSS does not mean Uncharted cannot be #1. Very few games do it correctly anyway. For those that approximated SSS, it doesn't mean they will be perfect either. Every game has their own flaws.

Besides highly detailed textures, Uncharted also sports very smooth shadow. It has quite a few innovations (e.g., introducing nuances into animation). The ocean scene was breath taking. At the end of the day, everyone will have his own #1 game since there is no objective way to measure it. So it's point less to argue either way.

Uncharted does have excellent enemy AI and DTS audio. It was one of the rare games that has the complete package.

iDoubleSpy said:
I'm glad everyone sparked interest in HDD topic :D

I don't care if it used 10MB or 10GB, or like you all think will be the case, none.

I am interested in how much space they are using on the Blu-Ray disc though.

It's obvious after playing that POS called MGS4 why Kojima Productions used all the disc, will Naughty Dog do the same?

Lick my hairy sac.

jts

...hate me...
EagleEyes said:
Uncharted doesn't have horrible screen tearing though i admit it features some, esp when you mess around with the camera in a freshly loaded location with a good amount of geometry. I believe it's a consequence of ND's games pushing the envelope so much so there's nothing unfortunate about it.

DoomGyver

GAF, why do we always have to compare, bitch, and moan about everything?

Good gracious, the game looks incredible and I'm sure it will play as good as the first.. can we leave it at that?

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Lick my hairy sac.

I was a huge Metal Gear Solid fan until that game came out...

Seeing as I know how hard it is to argue a point with a MGS fan (since I was one) I will just say people are still hazed about how "good" of a game it was, regardless of how much it didn't fit with the rest of the series...

Act 1, Act 2, Act 3, and Act 5 being the primary suspects.

My opinions match the exact same as Zero Punctuations video review.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/99-Metal-Gear-Solid-4

At this point, I'd rather play Uncharted on Brutal with 1 hand behind my back before I got back to MGS4

a1m

Banned
Full Recovery said:
GAF, why do we always have to compare, bitch, and moan about everything?

Good gracious, the game looks incredible and I'm sure it will play as good as the first.. can we leave it at that?

Because THIS IS SPA.. GAF! Of course we have to bitch, moan and everything between HomerSimpson-Man's hairy sac and the direct-feed pics from Uncharted II.

Yeah the pics are awesome.

E: Why the hell am I still a junior member, I don't wanna.

rancor

Neo Member
J-Rzez said:

maybe not dying but terminally ill, with a respirator always on and plugged into a dialysis machine for four hours a day.

gamerecks said:
Is it just me, or are the major antagonizers in alot of these threads either juniors, or fresh new members?

I didn't know you measured your creditability by the size of your e-penis :D

If that is you Ryan, we used to play EVE Online back in the day, I went by a different name of course :D

Razor554

Buckethead said:
Junior is correct.

2nk1mbr.gif

Top Bottom