• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 direct feed screens

White Among Thieves is not exclusively snowbound its frosty vistas have give the game's technical team a lot to think about. " Ice and snow are hard to render,"says Ruppel. "We've finally got it to the point in-game where it works the way we like it, and the light shines through them silghtly,making them glow from within. ice shouldn't just look like blue-painted concrete." Hennig adds that snow and ice will serve the same purpose in the sequel that water did in the first game. "it's not old-school game design where the ice level is all about slipping around. It's more thematic, to make sense of the environments."

sound good to me good to see they not doing the ice= slipping thing lol

Dante

SSM25 said:
Nothing new really....

EDIT: Oh shit, are EDGE previews always this negative?

Yeah pretty much I think they were pretty skeptical of LBP in their previews and ended up giving it GOTY?, and there's no new images in there, it's pretty much the same images here.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
“It’s boiling down those elements that will work well in the game,” suggests Straley. “Every game has the challenge of trying to make an interactive experience, so there’s certain things that lend themselves to cinematic action and things that don’t. It’s choosing your battles. It’s a lot to do with pacing – ebb and flow – it’s not all go-go-go, it’s going to have character points, and sad moments to go with the action. If something’s happening, it’s you reacting to it. For example, we have the technology to allow an entire building to collapse while you’re in it – and we can throw enemies in at the same time while that’s happening. You’re playing everything this time, not just the easy bits.”

“You don’t see films where it’s all shooting,” chimes in Hennig. “You see heroes creep up and slam someone into a wall. In the first game, you occasionally felt there was only one way to do things. In other games, stealth is always defensive – someone spots you sneaking past them, and it’s all over. We wanted to put you on the offensive for once: stealth or shooting – both choices are valid at any time.”

Damn, they really have a knack for saying all the right things. I'm so pumped.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SSM25 said:
Nothing new really....

EDIT: Oh shit, are EDGE previews always this negative?
I stoped buying EDGE because of that, 'every game sucks excepts old games that arent no longer in ther market which are godly(But they really suck)'
EDGE writers are the worst thing ever. :mad:
So yeah i stoped paying for that magazine where egomaniacs write idiotic and elitist stuff.
I usually dont post negative things, but these guys dont like or love games and it shows.

EDIT:EDGE SUXXs ,sorry for the negative post.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DMeisterJ said:
Jacket Drake? idk if I like that.

And his ass better get fixed before the game comes out. Thinking back, Solid Snake's was perfect. ND should borrow that for Drake. :D
ND, grab that code for dat ass. Borrow or steal that ass from Konami. Otherwise you don't love us!

That "fine chiseled ass" code is part of the Patriots will!

alba

Little is the new Big
so pumped, sooooo PUMPED... kitton level of pumped oh my god this is going to be a long long long, so very long wait :(

SonComet

I don't see what's so negative about the preview. I found it to be a very enjoyable read and I'm more excited than ever for this game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dante said:
Yeah pretty much I think they were pretty skeptical of LBP in their previews and ended up giving it GOTY?, and there's no new images in there, it's pretty much the same images here.

IIRC, they were pretty consistently glowing in their LBP previews.

I didn't think the Uncharted2 preview came off as negative, though. They tend not to sway one way or the other too much on early previews unless something really jumps out at them positively or negatively (in LBP's case, they had it marked as a PS3 crown-jewel from day one, however..but it was very obviously extraordinary from the outset ;)).

Dante said:

They gushed over LBP from the start. Interestingly they were supposed to be the ones that got the exclusive on the original Uncharted (the hint in their magazine was a paw print). But in the next issue they ended up previewing LBP instead while GI got the Uncharted exclusive.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't think that preview sounded negative at all? If anything, it pointed out that some problems from the first game seem to be successfully addressed in this one.

Dante

SolidSnakex said:
They gushed over LBP from the start. Interestingly they were supposed to be the ones that got the exclusive on the original Uncharted (the hint in their magazine was a paw print). But in the next issue they ended up previewing LBP instead while GI got the Uncharted exclusive.

My mistake, Who was the pub that called LBP a fancy powerpoint presentation?

Dante said:
My mistake, Who was the pub that called LBP a fancy powerpoint presentation?

Gamesradar I believe?

That Edge preview sounds very positive to be. Their spotlighting of the integration between the shooting and platforming sounds fantastic. They're completely correct in pointing out that this was an aspect not fully fleshed out in the first as well as the game mechanic that may truly distinguish the game. Plus the stealth mechanic sounds great, an optional approach to combat.

captscience said:
Gamesradar I believe?

That Edge preview sounds very positive to be. Their spotlighting of the integration between the shooting and platforming sounds fantastic. They're completely correct in pointing out that this was an aspect not fully fleshed out in the first as well as the game mechanic that may truly distinguish the game. Plus the stealth mechanic sounds great, an optional approach to combat.

It's Gamedaily.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BruceLeeRoy said:
Hell yeah bro! Did you have a chance to play the first one yet?

Yep, finished it at a friend's, although i'll be picking it up for myself one of these days to play through it again.

LiquidMetal14 said:
How? New or used? And welcome to the world of multiple console ownership.

New, 80 gig sku with Resistance 2 pack-in. Yeah, I now have all three. It feels good to be able to play every console game out there

Darunia said:
Yep, finished it at a friend's, although i'll be picking it up for myself one of these days to play through it again.

New, 80 gig sku with Resistance 2 pack-in. Yeah, I now have all three. It feels good to be able to play every console game out there

Throw me your PSN we cant do much but dance together in creepy gatherings but just in case something
comes along Ill have it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BruceLeeRoy said:
Throw me your PSN we cant do much but dance together in creepy gatherings but just in case something
comes along Ill have it.

it's in my profile, Creamium

don't have a headset yet though. top priority is stuff like mgs4, uncharted, ratchet and lbp. can't wait to get my hands on these games.

I hope we get more 'organic' environments than what has been shown so far.

Looks great, but I don't really prefer the setting they've shown off. Looks too much like Gears of War's 'destroyed beauty' theme.

Pachimari

Private Hoffman said:
I hope we get more 'organic' environments than what has been shown so far.

Looks great, but I don't really prefer the setting they've shown off. Looks too much like Gears of War's 'destroyed beauty' theme.
Well that's only Nepal. The game starts off in a green lush swamp, takes u to a burried village in the mountains, you'll get on top of a train before u crash into the snowfield. Lot's of locations this time around.

Doc Evils

Darunia said:

welcome to the club.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Uncharted 2 AI details surface

Uncharted 2 game director Bruce Straley has revealed that the hotly anticipated adventure sequel will incorporate two all-new AI behaviour patterns as a result of the games inclusion of stealth-action elements.

"As a result of expanding our gameplay to account for action-stealth, there are two new behaviours added to enemies, 'investigate' and 'hunt,'" Straley told CVG.

“With 'investigate' the enemies have peripheral vision just like humans. When Drake enters this peripheral vision the enemies will look over in the direction they think they saw him in and depending on how long he was in this vision cone, they may just look or they may walk over and check out what they think they saw.”

"With the 'hunt' behaviour the enemies have already spotted Drake and are in combat with him. While in combat the enemies make certain assumptions on where Drake is based on his last known location,” he explained.

Straley added that Drake’s foes will search tenaciously for our hero should they manage to lose eye contact with him, widening their search as they go.

"If they lose eye contact with Drake for a few seconds, one or more enemies will start hunting around the area, starting with his last known location, and then spread their search out if he's not found."

Furthermore, the game’s enemies are just as nimble as Drake, possessing the ability to climb up ledges and leap across gaps in order to locate his whereabouts – a feature that in turn allows for a much more varied game environment.

Said Straley: "If they are to hunt for Drake they'll need the ability to climb on the environment, jump across gaps, and drop down from ledges to get to him. The benefit to this was our combat wasn't limited to flat terrain anymore."
http://www.psu.com/Uncharted-2-AI-details-surface--a0006128-p0.php

dralla said:
"Caution" and "Alert" seems more appropriate.

funny-pictures-exclamation-cat.jpg

Furthermore, the game’s enemies are just as nimble as Drake, possessing the ability to climb up ledges and leap across gaps in order to locate his whereabouts – a feature that in turn allows for a much more varied game environment.

Said Straley: "If they are to hunt for Drake they'll need the ability to climb on the environment, jump across gaps, and drop down from ledges to get to him. The benefit to this was our combat wasn't limited to flat terrain anymore."
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS this is going to help make Uncharted really stand out even more as its own game. Not only that, but this ought to allow for some set pieces we've never seen before in gaming, especially if enemies can also shoot while hanging and whatnot.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder how much freedom they're going to give enemies to traverse their environment..or if they'll be scripted not to go to certain areas etc. I suppose it has to be the latter, but I hope it surprises in terms of how far enemies will go to find you, and mess with your notions of where is safe and where isn't.

Top Bottom