• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 MP Confirmed!

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I liked the single player campaign in Killzone 2 a lot more than the multiplayer, and that's supposed to be the opposite of the general concensus. And it's not stupid or fanboyish to expect it to be good just because it's Naughty Dog. In fact, Naughty Dog is probably the most consistent game developer of all time. Nintendo haven't even been this consistent.

AranhaHunter said:
You work with SCEA? If so isn't ND part of SCEA and therefore wouldn't you still kinda be working with them? I know not on the same team and not directly, but you'd still work with them...
Worked. Contract ended - stopped hating video games - don't know if I'd do it again.

However, they are the best team I worked with, next to Insom's Ratchet & Clank team. There are some developers that Sony works with that need some major improvements though :lol

Facism

-PXG- said:
Kinda drunk, but whatever. I hate how every fucking game now has to have some shitty, tacked on "multiplayer", in order to give it longevity. How about making a longer SP? A more compelling story? Or SP DLC (that is fairly priced/ free). Seriously? I don't know how many more shitty online death matches I can take.

Online multiplayer is fun, but not every game needs to have it. Halo, Gears, CoD? Yes. Uncharted, Dead Space and Bioshock? No.

How about you wait for some actual, solid details before jumping on the same flimsy, excuse-ridden bandwagon that MP will hurt your virtuous, precious Uncharted SP?

So much sopping fanny whinage in this thread.

Haunted

I AM JOHN! said:
And as I and practically everyone else who is dissenting against the multiplayer has said, so long as the single-player completely lives up to expectations and isn't hampered to accommodate co-op or so more time could be focused on multiplayer, then everything's aces and happy times will be had by all; but as someone who only cares about this game for the single-player and would much rather have a great single-player experience than an amazing multiplayer component, if said mode underdelivers, there will be hell to pay.
J-Rzez said:
Once again. Just so the SP is bigger, better, and longer, I don't care. If it has force co-op elements, then that's bullshit. If the MP takes away from the SP in anyway, then that's bullshit as well. But the MP could be good I guess.
Practically how I feel about the whole thing.

I don't think people should be jumping to conclusions like PXG does. But the concerns (many share) are absolutely valid.

Aside from that, I think there's also a general unhappiness about SP-only games getting MP modes just because it's the cool thing to do this gen - but that doesn't apply only to Uncharted and is more of a general observation anyway.

edit: and even if the SP delivers, people should probably just shut up the nagging little voice in the back of your head that says "it could've been even better if they didn't have to share resources and manpower between SP and MP" - that's only going to make people unhappy.

Facism

Haunted said:
edit: and even if the SP delivers, people should probably just shut up the nagging little voice in the back of your head that says "it could've been even better if they didn't have to share resources and manpower between SP and MP" - that's only going to make people unhappy.

:lol That's an unrealistic hope to have, mate

Haunted said:

I don't think people should be jumping to conclusions like PXG does. But the concerns (many share) are absolutely valid.

Aside from that, I think there's also a general unhappiness about SP-only games getting MP modes just because it's the cool thing to do this gen - but that doesn't apply only to Uncharted and is more of a general observation anyway.

Did you feel the same for Gears 2 then...was that game compromised by MP? Because I think most people agree that the single player delivered...and I personally think over the course of their history ND has a stronger history of delivering compelling single player games than epic... I think there is zero to worry about. The first Uncharted was excellent...this will be better. At least thats the feeling I got from reading that edge article a while back...they seemed to feel the same way as well...considering they rated the game on the lower side of the scale (8)

Haunted

nelsonroyale said:
Did you feel the same for Gears 2 then...was that game compromised by MP? Because I think most people agree that the single player delivered...and I personally think over the course of their history ND has a stronger history of delivering compelling single player games than epic... I think there is zero to worry about. The first Uncharted was excellent...this will be better. At least thats the feeling I got from reading that edge article a while back...they seemed to feel the same way as well...considering they rated the game on the lower side of the scale (8)
Well, Gears 1 had MP (pretty big part of its appeal for many people, actually), so the comparison isn't that great.

But I feel the same about Bioshock 2, I can tell you that much. I felt the same about RE5, and I will feel the same fear about Dead Space 2, if they suddenly decide to put MP into that.

And again, I'm not saying including an MP mode will necessarily lead to the SP campaign not being all it can be (although there've been precedents for that), I'm saying that I would've been happy with Uncharted staying SP - not every game with guns needs MP. I think there's an argument to be made for games with well-crafted and focused Singleplayer campaigns only.

zoukka

Haunted is right. The SP could be amazing. Still the resources needed for MP will naturally tax the SP experience for some amount. Will you be able to see it? Who knows. But it's still true.

Haunted said:
Well, Gears 1 had MP (pretty big part of its appeal for many people, actually), so the comparison isn't that great.

But I feel the same about Bioshock 2, I can tell you that much. I felt the same about RE5, and I will feel the same fear about Dead Space 2, if they suddenly decide to put MP into that.

And again, I'm not saying including an MP mode will necessarily lead to the SP campaign not being all it can be (although there've been precedents for that), I'm saying that I would've been happy with Uncharted staying SP - not every game with guns needs MP. I think there's an argument to be made for games with well-crafted and focused Singleplayer campaigns only.

eh, I don't even play many online games, and I could care less. You see only Jak 3 disappointed me with its single player campaign. ND have already said that Uncharted 2 will have a bigger and more varied campaign than Uncharted 1, so thats all I need to hear. They only make 1 game at a time, as compared to some other companies, so I doubt they will need to compromise anything. In addition, I reckon they were thinking of MP since the first game, and finally decided to implement it... As for me, I can see how the MP could be excellent...at least as enjoyable as in gears, if not more so

Barrett2

I wonder how much this will help Infamous sales? I know I was looking for that final little push to motivate me to buy Infamous; I think this probably did it, along with the unfavorable impressions of Bionic Commando.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
lawblob said:
I wonder how much this will help Infamous sales? I know I was looking for that final little push to motivate me to buy Infamous; I think this probably did it, along with the unfavorable impressions of Bionic Commando.

It'll probably be up over what it would otherwise have been, but I don't think the difference would be huge.

Uncharted wasn't a ginormous seller in its own right. It probably doesn't ride high in the conciousness of the wider PS3 base, even. The number of people motivated to buy access to its successor's MP beta probably isn't very high.

It'll be of some benefit to both games though. I'm sure there'll even be people who weren't interested in Uncharted before, but who buy Infamous, who'll now have it on their radar.

Haunted

lawblob said:
wait what? link please.

spwolf

guys, coming forward co-op is going to be almost required in strong single player games.

heck, i was never crazy about single player games (if they are not some kind of RTS) and i really do preffer them to have multiplayer co-op or else i wont be getting my moneys worth!

Goldrusher

Just when games started to mature, there's the need to implement a braindead shoot-as-many-people-as-you-can timewaster multiplayer in every single one.
And then we're back to square one, where games are seen by the general public as "for kids" or "dumb shooter games".

slider

Goldrusher said:
Just when games started to mature, there's the need to implement a braindead shoot-as-many-people-as-you-can timewaster multiplayer in every single one.
And then we're back to square one, where games are seen by the general public as "for kids" or "dumb shooter games".

Do we have details of the MP yet? : )

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:

why you have to hate, hater

that's reasonable ;)

I was a skeptic at first but I am really hyped up for this now. In Naughty Dog We Trust, they are a great developer I am sure the multiplayer component will be great.

Goldrusher

Drake's Fortune:

Evan Wells said:
We left multiplayer out of Uncharted so that we could focus the entire team’s efforts on creating the most compelling and exciting single player experience possible.
threespeech
Richard Lemarchand said:
Uncharted is a single-player game only.
Kikizo
Evan Wells said:
No multiplayer. We really just wanted to cater to that individual who wants to sit down on their couch, turn down the lights, turn up the stereo and fall deep into the game and immerse themselves.
Gamebump

Among Thieves:

Amy Hennig said:
Anything that we can do online to extend that experience is great, but multiplayer isn’t something that we’re discussing.
UGO

wut?

infamous.jpg

Goldrusher said:
Drake's Fortune:

Among Thieves:

wut?

[IG]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/04/infamous.jpg[/IMG]

IGN: I lied; I have one more question. Now that you're introducing a second character in Chloe, who's almost on par with Nate, have you guys thought at all about a multiplayer component? I don't know for this game, and I'm sure you can't talk about it if you have, but is that something you guys have talked about for future stuff?

Evan Wells: You know, it's really exciting how co-op and multiplayer are becoming exciting features for gamers. You're seeing a lot of great games that are taking advantage of that -- Left 4 Dead was a fantastic game, Gears co-op is awesome, Resident Evil 5's got a great co-op mode. It really does seem like it would fit the Uncharted universe well. It's something that we haven't concentrated on right now; we're really concentrating on bringing that single-player experience to the forefront and delivering the best single-player experience that is out there. At Naughty Dog, we're very excited about online games and multiplayer games, and it's something that we certainly will be looking at in the future.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/950/950692p2.html

GN: How long will this title be?

Richard Lemarchand: We're not quite ready to say how long the experience will be, since we still have plenty of development time in front of us before we ship.
However, we're making sure that the end result is not only a satisfying length to play through, but that it stays true to the needs of our story.

On top of that, we're planning on adding several features to the game that will increase replayability and extend the gameplay experience for everyone. We'll be revealing those features at a later date, so hold tight for more info!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/963/963744p2.html

G4: Doesn’t that open up opportunities potentially for a co-op?

Wells: It certainly makes you wonder right? It’s something that I think is becoming more and more popular these days in the industry, and I think across the company here at Naughty Dog. Everyone’s really excited about all these games that are coming out that support co-op. Right now we’re really focusing on delivering the highest quality single-player experience possible, but multiplayer and co-op definitely fit the franchise quite well.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...lls-and-Amy-Hennig-Uncharted-2-Interview.html

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Goldrusher said:
Drake's Fortune:

Among Thieves:

wut?

infamous.jpg
new game, new dev cycle. that doesn't mean the single player will be comprised, expect a fuck load of PR to assure you of this leading up to the game's launch, when we can decide for ourselves whether this is true or not.

saying they weren't discussing the multiplayer was a confirmation before the confirmation.

Barrett2

Haunted said:
wait what? link please.

This weeks 1UY podcast hints that the game is overly linear, frustrating, and takes the most fun elements of the game and unnecessarily restricts your ability to use those elements. It sounds very disappointing.

Haunted

lawblob said:
This weeks 1UY podcast hints that the game is overly linear, frustrating, and takes the most fun elements of the game and unnecessarily restricts your ability to use those elements. It sounds very disappointing.
:(

I was looking forward to grappling and flinging myself around as Rad Spencer. Thanks.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Goldrusher said:
Drake's Fortune:

Among Thieves:

wut?

infamous.jpg

Multiplayer isn't something they're discussing publically..with you press people..is what she was saying :p

Obviously internally they were discussing and implementing..

womfalcs3

Banned
With the first one, they said they wrote the engine from scratch. They don't have to do that this time. Plus, they already have a premise. They don't have to sit down and think of a premise as they did with the first installment. Now, they just have to build on the premise.

f@luS

More than a member.
Goldrusher said:
Uncharted has no mp
people cry "omg no mp look gearsss teh roxxx"
uncharted got mp
"why? its a SP game. Why a dumbass MP mode"

f@luS said:
Uncharted has no mp
uncharted got mp

pretty much...its funny really..I'm pretty sure quite a few complaining in here may have even mentioned the lack of mp in the original...

Haunted

f@luS said:
Uncharted has no mp

uncharted got mp
Well, people in the first category are wrong and no one should take them seriously.

Ello

I would not be surprised if everyone complaining about the MP now will be the first ones to say "OMG this is awsome!" once they try it out.

Kogepan

f@luS said:
Uncharted has no mp
uncharted got mp

people complaining about free/new stuff/features? some snotty teenager trying to talk like that actually know something about software game development? yeh i'm shocked too.

these people spend more time posting snarky comments on forums than actually playing games.

Danielsan

I dismissed the Uncharted MP in the rumor thread but I've given it some thought and if they come up with some interesting multiplayer modes and gameplay it could actually be good. I have absolutely no interest in DM and TDM though.

-PXG- said:
Kinda drunk, but whatever. I hate how every fucking game now has to have some shitty, tacked on "multiplayer", in order to give it longevity. How about making a longer SP? A more compelling story? Or SP DLC (that is fairly priced/ free). Seriously? I don't know how many more shitty online death matches I can take.

Online multiplayer is fun, but not every game needs to have it. Halo, Gears, CoD? Yes. Uncharted, Dead Space and Bioshock? No.
-PXG- said:
So, you don't give a shit about better story, better character development, better writing and more complex and improved sequences in the SP? Okay. :/
Decado said:
Disappointing. Either the MP will be tacked on and a complete waste of resources or it will be something worth noting...but sacrificing the reason people bought the 1st game (single player). No-win situation they're putting themselves in...unless they have another studio helping them with the MP.

Anyway, I was kind of hoping this was going to be my dark horse purchase of Winter '09, but that won't happen.
I AM JOHN! said:
And as I and practically everyone else who is dissenting against the multiplayer has said, so long as the single-player completely lives up to expectations and isn't hampered to accommodate co-op or so more time could be focused on multiplayer, then everything's aces and happy times will be had by all; but as someone who only cares about this game for the single-player and would much rather have a great single-player experience than an amazing multiplayer component, if said mode underdelivers, there will be hell to pay.

Wow you guys are annoying, it's like you are all hoping the game fails.

Haunted said:
You really sound like a fucking hypocrite after reading your posts from the other thread.

Haunted said:
Very true! That notion that every game needs MP nowadays is fucking sickening, I agree. People should accept that there are games better suited for SP, and others for MP.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
InterMoniker said:

You really sound like a fucking hypocrite after reading your posts from the other thread.
I'm not seeing said hypocrisy...?

Haunted said:
:(

I was looking forward to grappling and flinging myself around as Rad Spencer. Thanks.

David Ellis opinion = do not trust. Hates on everything. The very fact you can definitely choose levels to have a go at for challenges brings any claim of "linearity" into complete doubt. Not every game is a sandbox.

-PXG-

InterMoniker said:

Well booze has a tendancy to fuck up your thinkning :lol

Seriously. I want the game to be good. I just have a fear they are going to just tack on a crappy, half assed multiplayer. So many games have shitty, last minuate MP modes. And just because ND is making it, doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be good. Good devs fuck stuff up too. Don't confuse my skepticism with hopes of wanting the game to fail.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I still like that people are shitting on multiplayer mode when we haven't even gotten a single ounce of info on the multiplayer mode. But go on hating on something you have no idea what you're hating on.

NameIess

f@luS said:
Uncharted has no mp
uncharted got mp

Since you can't please everyone why even try...

U2 is a day one purchase for me no matter what they do; it could be a MMO title and I would still be on board. The people over at ND know what they are doing and have the results to prove it. Honestly I wonder if most of the people complaining even own the original title???

Chris R

acm2000 said:
another game ruined by multi which really didnt need it (see bioshock 2)

this should be co-op and nothing more (like bioshock 2 shouldve been)
wow, took this long for the only correct idea to be posted.

Jtrizzy

gofreak said:
It'll probably be up over what it would otherwise have been, but I don't think the difference would be huge.

Uncharted wasn't a ginormous seller in its own right. It probably doesn't ride high in the conciousness of the wider PS3 base, even. The number of people motivated to buy access to its successor's MP beta probably isn't very high.

It'll be of some benefit to both games though. I'm sure there'll even be people who weren't interested in Uncharted before, but who buy Infamous, who'll now have it on their radar.

Yeah most people I know with a PS3 don't know much about Uncharted. I try to tell them, but out of the 5 or 6 people I know with one, only one owns Uncharted. Of course he thinks it's an incredible game as I do.

Banned
Wario64 said:
I still like that people are shitting on multiplayer mode when we haven't even gotten a single ounce of info on the multiplayer mode. But go on hating on something you have no idea what you're hating on.

that's why i'm keeping an open mind to be fair. I'm not so much concerned about the quality of the experience because i'm certain of ND's pedigree and ability; I'm more concerned about it not bringing too much new to the table. We already have many great MP games, and there's no point creating another cookie-cutter MP experience. If i don't really like it, I'll feel as though there is half a game i'm missing out on as well, just like MGO- another game I would have preferred if it didn't include an online mode. Yes- I really am complaining about getting MORE content. I dunno, a big reason why I love Uncharted is because it's Single-player- I feel like i've experienced the complete game in my own time without that competitiveness that sometimes feel unnecessary.

With all that said, I still hope that ND create a really successful MP experience that millions enjoy, it just probably won't be something for me.

womfalcs3

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:
i cannot fucking believe there's people in this thread that have already decided that the multiplayer sucks.

Dude, there are people in here who have already decided the SP sucks because of the MP component's inclusion.

It's laughable.

DrPirate

Banned
Wario64 said:

This is what I was thinking.

We don't even know what it is.

Hell, it could be the Counter-Strike Source to Half-Life 2. We have no clue what they are working on so chill the fuck out everyone.

zoukka

xS1TH L0RDx said:
i cannot fucking believe there's people in this thread that have already decided that the multiplayer sucks.

I don't see any?

Dude, there are people in here who have already decided the SP sucks because of the MP component's inclusion.

I don't see any?

The only complaint is that the developement focus isn't completely on SP. And I agree, because SP-only games are fucking rare these days.

xenorevlis said:
Worked. Contract ended - stopped hating video games - don't know if I'd do it again.

However, they are the best team I worked with, next to Insom's Ratchet & Clank team. There are some developers that Sony works with that need some major improvements though :lol

Well Insomniac is not a Sony team per se because they are independent...Like who could use major improvements and why? I have some theories but you could enlighten me :D

Top Bottom