• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 MP Confirmed!

Banned
infamous.jpg

just thought it needed its own thread

source: Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5226561/infamous-shocks-us-with-uncharted-2-multiplayer-beta

Deal not exclusive to Best Buy also confirmed:
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-317709.aspx

Unofficial concept Art:
u2mp.jpg

credit: Wollan

Found this really interesting interview with Evan Wells:
PSW Magazine recently had an interview with Naughty-Dog's Co-President Evan Wells, the interview has not been published online, so we thought we'd bring it to you.

PSW: What did Drake spend his fortune on? Is he broke or has he become a Lara-style thrill seeker?
Evan Wells: Only two years have passed since the events in Uncharted Drake's Fortune and i think it's clear that Drake is in a very different place than where we left him. He starts off Uncharted 2 a bit 'down on his luck' and he's found himseld lured back into his natural element - a world of thieves and mercenary fortune-hunters

PSW: Will we still like Drake in this game or will you slowly reveal a nastier side to the original character?
Evan Wells: Even though he may look abit rougher around the edges, Drake still retains the personality you've come to know him for. In Uncharted 2, we're tackling some more serious themes, and digging deeper into Drake's character, but he's still the same affable rogue we introduced in the first game. Humour is a critical part of this genre and to the Uncharted franchise - and it's important to us that our game should never take itself to seriously.

PSW: Are you aiming to merge gameplay more for the sequel?
Evan Wells: In Uncharted, Drake was only able to fire his weapon during certain actions or animations. This time out, we're really opening things up by allowing Drake to shoot at any time - including hanging from ledges, crossing balance beams, and even swinging from ropes. We've been calling this concept "traversal gunplay". This frees up our level designers to throw in combat setups anytime and anywhere, even when Drake is negotiating tricky traversal sections that might require some problem solving to overcome.

Here's the important question! Read!

PSW: Will there be any online gameplay or is Uncharted 2 strictly offline this time around?
Evan Wells: We've seen alot of debate from blogs and forums about whether or not we should take the Uncharted frachise online - either via multiplayer or co-op. There are some very compelling aguments on both sides of the fence about adding these extensions to our game. We're always considering ways in which we can improve our games, but only if we can still achieve the level of quality Naughty Dog is known for. For now, our main focus is on Drake as the central character - we want to concentrate the story on his personal journey.

PSW: What kind of Trophies are you aiming for - and will there be some playful challenges?
Evan Wells: Between Trophies and Medals, we have plenty of room to create some interesting and fun ways to get those rewards. For those players who are up to the challenge, we're planning to have a ton of cheats, skins concept art, secrets and video's to unlock, just like in our first game.

So what do you think about what Evan Wells said? And what is the effect of the answer about Uncharted 2 Multiplayer?
source: http://playstationlive.blogspot.com/2009/04/uncharted-2-interview-evan-wells-sets.html

bar_01.gif

Firestorm

Oh great. So inFamous is doing the "pre-order for demo" bullshit. How about giving me a demo so I know whether or not to pre-order?

lupinko

Firestorm said:
Oh great. So inFamous is doing the "pre-order for demo" bullshit. How about giving me a demo so I know whether or not to pre-order?

Who knows, but inFamous is made by Sucker Punch and they've never made a bad game, hell, they've never even made an average game! :lol

They only do awesome. :D

Grayman

is infamous the one that was going to suck or is that the other open world guy with a backpack fights guys game?

DangerStepp

They should really concentrate on the single player experience and try to encapsulate what made the first game so great.

See: Resistance 2

That promotional sticker is like a piggyback advertisement. A multiplayer beta within a demo within a game.

Snipes424

another leak? This shit is getting ridiculous.

But that's awesome about Uncharted 2 multiplayer, I will defiantly be pre-ordering for that.

DangerStepp said:
They should really concentrate on the single player experience and try to encapsulate what made the first game so great.

Resistance 2 = 1 year
Uncharted 2 = 2 years

The biggest factor that made R2 fall so sort was they tried to do so much in so little time. Uncharted 2 has had enough time to make everything perfect.

FabCam

DangerStepp said:

Why can't they kick ass in single player and multi player? This is Naughty Dog!

Kagari said:
It worked for the Halo 3 beta. And the FFXIII demo (bundling with a movie).

Worked? Who does it work for?

I don't give a shit if it 'works' for Sony or Microsoft. I want to play the demos, and I don't want to have to preorder games or buy games to do it.

EDIT:
Freudian slip :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
gregor7777 said:
Worked? Who do you work for?

I don't give a shit if it 'works' for Sony or Microsoft. I want to play the demos, and I don't want to have to preorder games or buy games to do it.

Obviously they want to sell Infamous, and this will help them sell more than they would have without the Uncharted 2 pack-in.

dyls

Assuming there is online co-op, I'd like to partner with any Gaffer that enjoyed the combat in the first game, so he can take out all the bad guys while I enjoy the scenery and jump around on cliffs and shit.

DangerStepp

FabCam said:
Why can't they kick ass in single player and multi player? This is Naughty Dog!

Point well taken. I absolutely adored the first game and can't wait to play the second one.

Can you blame me for worrying just a bit, though?

Can't say I ever really thought the game needed multiplayer....

Co-op would be nice, but I hope the single player game doesn't suffer because of multiplayer.

Kagari said:
Obviously they want to sell Infamous, and this will help them sell more than they would have without the Uncharted 2 pack-in.

But again, I don't give a shit about that. What good does that do for me? I know why they're doing it.

Dizzan

MINI Member
gregor7777 said:
But again, I don't give a shit about that. What good does that do for me? I know why they're doing it.

Its a fucking MP beta to test the game not a demo. There will still be a single player demo and heaps of impressions. Fucking whinge more.

Kagari said:
It worked for the Halo 3 beta. And the FFXIII demo (bundling with a movie).

Remember, buying Crackdown was just 1 of 3 ways to get into the Halo3 beta. Hopefully, they don't ONLY do beta vouchers for buying the game and make other ways to get in.

Majora

Is this really going to drive sales though? No offence guys but outside of GAF, Uncharted really isn't that big a deal to most people, even less so the multiplayer aspect. It certainly isn't going to drive sales in the same way a Halo or Final Fantasy offer does. I'd be surprised if it added more than a few thousand when all is said and done.

wouwie

Naughty Dog, please don't screw up the single player experience by adding a multi player experience that i won't play anyway.

Uncharted was such a lovely super duper fantastic single player experience which just needed a bit more platforming mixed in the shooting and it just needed to be longer because it was so gooo good and fun to play.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Y2Kev said:
THIS IS HORRIBLE NEWS

Seriously. I dont want inFAMOUS gamers to play my Uncharted. They don't deserve to play it if they didnt even play the first one, what gives them the right to play my precious game's multiplayer before I do? Fuck them, Uncharted should only be sold to true Uncharted fans!

Top Bottom