• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 MP Confirmed!

Shurs

VindicatorZ said:
I think this is fantastic. I'm really intruiged by what Naughty Dog could do with this for multiplayer. Envision an online shooter that encompasses platforming, climbing, vehicles, etc. I think this could be really fun.

I also have a feeling that they are gonna come up with some crazy new modes for multiplayer, in addition to some form of co-op.

In the end, I'm 99% sure that the Single player in this game will be amazing. I have faith in Naughty Dog, they wouldn't fuck up the single player for multiplayer, that's for sure. If anything, this will only ENHANCE the single player, in addition to adding tons of replay value to the game.

In the first Uncharted, vehicle sections (with the exception of the stupid jet ski) were essentially on rails.

Shurs

Norml said:
But why would MP be on rails if it had vehicles.

I'm under the assumption that there will be no vehicles in multiplayer seeing as, in the first Uncharted, vehicles are on rails.

Raide

I can sense some kind of versus mode where stealing Gold is involved in a bizarre CTF mash-up, hence the games subtitle. :lol Stealing is bound to play a huge part for the online modes...hopefully. :D

eXistor

More multiplayer in a game that very clearly doesn't need it. I'm not against MP, but I am when the final product is gonna suffer for it (in this case the sp which is what Uncharted should be all about anyway).

eXistor said:
More multiplayer in a game that very clearly doesn't need it. I'm not against MP, but I am when the final product is gonna suffer for it (in this case the sp which is what Uncharted should be all about anyway).
Because you have seen the multiplayer for this game, and you have also seen how it has effected the SP portion of the game? Right?

Concept17

Raide said:
I can sense some kind of versus mode where stealing Gold is involved in a bizarre CTF mash-up, hence the games subtitle. :lol Stealing is bound to play a huge part for the online modes...hopefully. :D

Given the mentioned stealth element in the game, platforming and gunplay, a multiplayer mode could make for a pretty unique experience. Can't wait to actually see it.

Haunted said:
Shit, I just realised that trophies will probably be split between online/offline as well.

Uncharted was my first platinum because the trophies were so much fun to get.

I don't think I have a platinum in an online game yet, mostly because some trophies are just accumulating ones and need a ridiculous time investment. (Resistance 2, Bad Company, Killzone 2 to an extent)

:sadface

Yeah, posted something similar either a few pages back or in another thread. No one should be rewarded for "accomplishing" a feat in multiplayer which features the most random, unequal and unblanced situations you could ever encounter in a videogame. It's just not fair. Sure, reward someone with new clothes and a medal for MP only but don't make that shit count towards the collective rewards one must get for the game. Most people will stat pad to get their trophy and others will even cheat by finding glitches. And while most have the time to spend over a hundred hours a week to reach a specific goal, some of us don't have that oppurtunity.

Keep the rewards for tackling something that EVERYONE experiences EQUALLY like a crushing difficulty or 5 headshots in a row in the campaign etc.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Half of the users posting here are doubting in Naughty Dog ability on making an awesome game
LOLZ i say.

Dever

Banned
I just hope that all the modes revolve around stealing treasure etc. I don't really want any pirates vs. mercs deathmatch stuff.

Shurs

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Yeah, posted something similar either a few pages back or in another thread. No one should be rewarded for "accomplishing" a feat in multiplayer which features the most random, unequal and unblanced situations you could ever encounter in a videogame. It's just not fair. Sure, reward someone with new clothes and a medal for MP only but don't make that shit count towards the collective rewards one must get for the game. Most people will stat pad to get their trophy and others will even cheat by finding glitches. And while most have the time to spend over a hundred hours a week to reach a specific goal, some of us don't have that oppurtunity.

Keep the rewards for tackling something that EVERYONE experiences EQUALLY like a crushing difficulty or 5 headshots in a row in the campaign etc.

We're talking about trophies. Why take it so seriously?

Shurs said:
We're talking about trophies. Why take it so seriously?

Maybe it's because of what gaming has turned into? Why can't it be about team play and not a bunch of douches running around trying to gain a trophy? That's why I'm taking it so seriously. It's a mode in a game that I intend to play. I don't want it ruined and tainted by some jack-offs playing with their own agendas using whatever method of non-skills it takes to accomplish it. This extends beyond Uncharted 2 and it will most definitely happen so please no one come in saying you haven't played it... it'll just sound pathetic.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This game didn't need multiplayer. Not every game needs one. The first game was perfect. Obviously, it could turn out good, but what was established with the first game was a rich storyline and a very engaging character in Drake that this game could have stood up against other games with just that. I hope that this inclusion isn't a reaction to what was a lukewarm reception from the public. That is far from the case. This game is Sony's biggest injustice this gen as far as pushing software in advertising. This is the best game on the system and Sony treated it like a red-headed step child.

Atrus

Gold Member
Putting in MP in what was pretty much a genre-topping debut is a liability.

If you don't have MP, you risk reviews critiquing the lack of MP in the game (like the first) and players citing lack of MP in what is otherwise an excellent game.

If you put in MP, then you risk reviews critiquing the unoriginality of the MP or the sub-par nature of the MP experience when contrasted to the single-player experience. This then makes it feel like the sequel is not as good as the first.

So hopefully, ND has packed the same sort of quality in the MP than was found in the SP to shut some of the brain dead whiners up. Overall, MP isn't as bad as putting in co-op and jeapordizing the overall single-player experience.

The only real problem with the first game was advertising and exposure. Word of mouth helped push this game massively, as 'what game should I get' questions regarding the PS3are usually headlined with Warhawk and Uncharted.

TheExodu5

Banned
Coop would have been ace, and fits perfectly with this style of game. Competitive multiplayer is just not needed in this game.

Midas

TTP said:
Wait until u see the Uncharted 2 one with the unremovable PSN multiplayer sticker on it. I can already see the Italian one looking like this:

125q4x0.jpg

Edit: of course it wont be 32 players :p (I guess/hope)

Yeah, WTF is up with that? Get your act together Sony. We know you're reading this!

iceatcs

In my private chat in PSN with some friends. Many are really looking forward from this news.
We have talking lot about this week, weather what we will get from the media esp Uncharted 2 gameplay. There was a talk about L.A. Noire some reasons :/

slider

DuckRacer said:
GRAN TURISMO 5
SECRET PS3 GAME STARHAWK

BELIEVE

Don't toy with my emotions. : (

Well, we're nearly at Monday and I've kept my mind. Straight after Spanish classes I'll be checking out what's new.

slider said:
Don't toy with my emotions. : (

Well, we're nearly at Monday and I've kept my mind. Straight after Spanish classes I'll be checking out what's new.

I think the info/media is supposed to come out all through the week. All we know that we'll definitely get tomorrow is stuff on Uncharted 2.

tzare

TheExodu5 said:
Coop would have been ace, and fits perfectly with this style of game. Competitive multiplayer is just not needed in this game.
i do not agree. Coop may ruin SP experience. MP is a nice addition , like in Gears of War. It gives the game endless replay value

JoJo13

Banned
I am personally very stoked about this news. Mechanically, the game is perfectly suited towards online play. There really aren't a whole lot of third person shooters with online play. Gears of War comes to mind, but the genre certainly hasn't been exploited as much as first person shooters. In that respect, I certainly welcome Uncharted's multiplayer modes and its take on the genre.

Mechanically, imo, it's the best playing third person shooter. I love the agility of Drake compared to the rather rigid controls of Gears of War, and I think I'd enjoy the gunplay a bit more since there wouldn't be chainsaws or overpowered weapons dominating multiplayer encounters. Let's just hope Naughty Dog rang up Insomniac games on how to create a game with flawless netcode.

As for those saying the single player will be compromised, I ask you this: would a 12-15 hour Uncharted 2 game really make it that much better than an 8-12 hour Uncharted 2?

Here's what we know:

Uncharted 2 already has its engine and tools established, as well as most of the core gameplay. This saves them a tremendous amount of time. So, with that saved time they could either make the single player portion significantly longer or they could try and extend the game's replayability in other ways while keeping the single player experience the same length.

Uncharted 1's length was about perfect for me. Some games overstay their welcome by artificially increasing the campaign's length, which can cut down on the replayability a bit. Uncharted 1's ~8 hour or so campaign felt perfect for multiple play throughs, and I also felt satisfied with the length. I would be fine with Uncharted 2 having a similar length.

J-Rzez

Cartman86 said:
I imagine we will be seeing more of MAG at the Seattle event since Zipper is in Seattle along with Sucker Punch.

Can't wait to see MAG in action. I love competitive fps mp games, so i'm pumped for seeing it.

I hope Starhawk is warhawk for the PSP with ad-hoc and online play.

Not discounting that it would be cool on the PSP. But the potential for the game is much greater on the PS3's hardware.

AranhaHunter said:
I hope Starhawk is warhawk for the PSP with ad-hoc and online play.

This is the second time i've seen someone to suggest this and i've yet to see a reason as to why it'd be a good idea. I can't think of a single way that Starhawk being on the PSP would benefit it.

So much negativity, warhawk for the psp would be cool as shit, especially if it takes advantage of the rumored PSP4000's features.

Yeah warhawk 2 on PS3 would be cool, but it would get lost amongst MAG, CODMW2, etc... I would buy Warhawk PSP day 1 whereas I'd probably wait for bargain price on Warhawk 2 PS3, even though I really liked Warhawk.

.GqueB.

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Because you have seen the multiplayer for this game, and you have also seen how it has effected the SP portion of the game? Right?
Have you ever seen a game that has multiplayer while also having a compelling, well paced, well acted, well written Single player like Uncharted?

I havent.

I mean I trust Naughty Dog but based on what we've seen in the past you cant really poo poo all of these negative reactions. Its not like its based on nothing. Games that have good MP rarely have a great SP. Its almost always "passable". Or if the SP is great then the MP feels tacked on. Its how things have been for the past few yrs. Maybe Uncharted can be the one company to turn it all around...

but we shall see.

Akia

JoJo13 said:
As for those saying the single player will be compromised, I ask you this: would a 12-15 hour Uncharted 2 game really make it that much better than an 8-12 hour Uncharted 2?

The single player not being Naughty Dog's main focus affects more than just the campaign's overall length. But rather the scope, scale and overall density of the entire single player. I don't think that the consequences are as simple as you put it (i.e: just subtract 3 hours because of multiplayer). I think its more like, because of having to do multiplayer we didn't allocate enough resources to make these set pieces and to develop systems that overall would make the single player better.

As a result, they're probably going to have to cut things out or even worse cut some corners in order to keep things within budget. In essence, using your example: because of multiplayer those base 8-12 hours in your "with-multiplayer" scenario are not going to be the same as the base 8-12 hours in your "without-multiplayer" scenario.

Another reailty of developing a game with multiple modes is that they're going to be focusing on under-the-hood systems that can be carried over into the co-op and multiplayer modes. Rather than developing everything that's necessary to exclusively make the single player top notch.

I understand that not everyone shares my opinion. I'm just a really big fan of awesome single player games. I think its because 2007 really spoiled me (Uncharted, Bioshock and Half Life 2 Episode 2).

Shurs

.GqueB. said:
Have you ever seen a game that has multiplayer while also having a compelling, well paced, well acted, well written Single player like Uncharted?
I havent.

I mean I trust Naughty Dog but based on what we've seen in the past you cant really poo poo all of these negative reactions. Its not like its based on nothing. Games that have good MP rarely have a great SP. Its almost always "passable". Or if the SP is great then the MP feels tacked on. Its how things have been for the past few yrs. Maybe Uncharted can be the one company to turn it all around...

but we shall see.

Have you seen another single player game on the "HD twins" that has a compelling, well paced, well acted, well written single player like Uncharted, besides Bioshock?

Also, do you honestly expect Uncharted 2 to be shorter and less varied than the first game? Do you think that Uncharted 2's voice acting and writing will be effected by multiplayer?

JoJo13

Banned
Akia said:
The single player not being the focus effects more than just the campaign's overall length. But the scope, scale and overall density of the entire single player. I don't think that the consequences are that simple (i.e: just subtract 3 hours because of multiplayer). Its more like we didn't allocate enough resources to make these set pieces and to develop systems that overall would make the single player better. To use your example: because of multiplayer those base 8-12 hours in your "with-multiplayer" scenario are not going to be the same as the base 8-12 hours in your "without-multiplayer" scenario.

Because of multiplayer, they're going to be focusing on under-the-hood systems that can be carried over into the co-op and multiplayer modes. Rather than developing everything that's necessary to exclusively make the single player top notch.

Why would it affect the 'scope, scale, and overall density'? Let's face it, the Uncharted formula is not rocket science -- they've established the core mechanics and basic gameplay features. All that they're really doing for the sequel is refining those mechanics and then developing a series of set pieces and kill boxes while fleshing out story segments in between. The bulk of the production, at this point, would have to be art-related (developing new levels, set pieces, etc), but it should have no affect on the density or scale of those individual levels.

Secondly, a multiplayer mode will likely rip out art assets already created for the single player and tweaked slightly. It will take some development resources to implement, for sure, but more on the networking side of things and not the art side of things.

And perhaps in the process of playtesting the multiplayer, this will make the single player experience better. Perhaps they find some aspect of the multiplayer is incredibly fun and engaging, and they want to add a similar experience in the single player.

I don't think Naughty Dog can really screw up the single player aspect of the game unless the cutscenes and story are not up to par with the original (unlikely). I loved the original because of the gunplay and the story -- how genuine the characters were. The great atmosphere that the art and music aided in creating this wonderful adventure tale. I don't think they can really screw that up with the sequel by adding a multiplayer component.

BTW, I really hope that Uncharted 2 has some Uncharted 1 levels in there for the maps. I'd love to play some multiplayer levels in a lush jungle and fortress environment (I really hope Uncharted 2 has similar jungle settings for the single player as well).

Shurs

JoJo13 said:
Why would it affect the 'scope, scale, and overall density'? Let's face it, the Uncharted formula is not rocket science -- they've established the core mechanics and basic gameplay features. All that they're really doing for the sequel is refining those mechanics and then developing a series of set pieces and kill boxes while fleshing out story segments in between. The bulk of the production, at this point, would have to be art-related (developing new levels, set pieces, etc), but it should have no affect on the density or scale of those individual levels.

Secondly, a multiplayer mode will likely rip out art assets already created for the single player and tweaked slightly. It will take some development resources to implement, for sure, but more on the networking side of things and not the art side of things.

And perhaps in the process of playtesting the multiplayer, this will make the single player experience better. Perhaps they find some aspect of the multiplayer is incredibly fun and engaging, and they want to add a similar experience in the single player.

I don't think Naughty Dog can really screw up the single player aspect of the game unless the cutscenes and story are not up to par with the original (unlikely). I loved the original because of the gunplay and the story -- how genuine the characters were. The great atmosphere that the art and music aided in creating this wonderful adventure tale. I don't think they can really screw that up with the sequel by adding a multiplayer component.

Exactly. Also, the puzzles in the first game were weak. I think we can safely assume that Naughty Dog has listened to the critics and will improve them as well.

JoJo13

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Gears of War, for one.

Well acted? Well written? ;)

But yeah, Gears of War has a good single player experience which was the point he was trying to make

Also, Epic took 2 years to develop Gears 2, and their studio size is roughly the same as Naughty Dog.

Guled said:
well written?

anyway a proper example is gta4, Lost Planet, Darkness, and Orange Box. A MP game can still have a great SP

Hmm...well most of those games had a tacked on multiplayer.

Gears of War's multiplayer is a bit better than those games, but still pretty flawed. I'm holding onto the hope that ND can manage to deliver a compelling multiplayer game. I know the single player will be good. Multiplayer is still up in the air at this point. I'm certainly glad they're giving it a try, though.

Top Bottom