• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

HERE WE GO:

Patch Video

Info:

- Elimination is back.
- New menu in custom games called "Advanced Settings" where you can change: The health, Buddy Spawning, Respawn Time, Sprinting, Weapon Mode, Kickbacks, Boosters, and Grenade Throwbacks.
- You'll be able to vote whether or not you want to play the "disgusting boring, bullshit cinematic sequences" of The Airstrip and London Underground now, so YAY! No more horrible train section.
- Long Ranger Medal reduced from 70 meters to 50 meters. Still takes three kills to get one.
- RAGE QUITTING addressed! If you quit, sign off PSN, your in-game statistics (Kills/Deaths) of the match you quit will be carried over and you will get a LOSS. YESSSSSSSSS :lol
- REMOVAL of Kills/Deaths in Objective based games (Plunder/Team Objective) counting for your in-game statistics. OMG. Hopefully this reduces the kill farmers!!
- Message of the Day from Uncharted 2 is back! So every time you log in, you'll get a message of what's happening, what's been added to keep you up to date.
- The Lab RETURNS. First Lab is Pistole/T-Bolt lab.

HOLY SHIT.

:bow

That's beautifull i mean ..isn't that what we always wanted ?lab is back , elimination is back no more k/d in plunder ..this patch is freaking impressive

including the ragequit feature

i gave this patch a 10/10 perfect

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It's too bad the pistole isn't DAT PISTOLE from UC2.
I'm glad it isn't. The UC2 pistole was a cheap piece of shit. The one in UC3 is a little weak, but it's effective in its own right if you know how to use it. The pistole in UC2 was a portable fucking SAS shotgun. No thanks. I don't miss it.

There's just one MAJOR thing that I think ND should have added in this patch and it's the following:

Don't count a loss for any late-join game you join.

When you play alone, you will almost always join a game that's already in progress and 90% of the time you'll be placed on a team where the score is something like 30+ kills for the other team while your team has like 7. It's even worse when you join a game and you're only there for like a minute because the match is about to end. Well, there's an unfair loss added to you! It shouldn't be this way because you will NEVER late join a game when you are partied up with another person. This only occurs when you play solo and I think this needs to be addressed ASAP.

Mikey Jr.

Do people really care that much about their win/loss ratio?

Why is win/loss a barometer of someones performance? Sometimes, that shit is just out of your control. You can be doing amazing, but your team mates are jsut sucking it up, or vice versa.

jett

D-Member
I'm glad it isn't. The UC2 pistole was a cheap piece of shit. The one in UC3 is a little weak, but it's effective in its own right if you know how to use it. The pistole in UC2 was a portable fucking SAS shotgun. No thanks. I don't miss it.

The pistole in UC3 is useless. Nobody picks that shit up, ever. UC2 pistole was badass, it was a power weapon, it's supposed to be powerful.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Do people really care that much about their win/loss ratio?

Why is win/loss a barometer of someones performance? Sometimes, that shit is just out of your control. You can be doing amazing, but your team mates are jsut sucking it up, or vice versa.
I kind of do and then I kind of don't. I think it's unfair that I should get a loss when I join a game and it ends in seconds of me joining it. It's also not fair that I should get a loss by joining a game in progress where it's impossible to catch up. What happens is that people will late join and then quit right away when they know it's not possible to get even. However, if they were to completely not count late join losses, I'm pretty sure I would stay regardless of how uneven the score is in the match. This only happens when you are playing solo aka being a lone wolf. Like I mentioned earlier, you will never late join a game in progress when you are partied up with one person or more.
The pistole in UC3 is useless. Nobody picks that shit up, ever. UC2 pistole was badass, it was a power weapon, it's supposed to be powerful.
I personally don't think it's useless if you know how to properly use it. We'll have to disagree here especially since I thought the pistole in UC2 was overpowered.
They aren't going to fix the Yemen in TDM bug, are they?
Even with the default option on, I hardly play it on TDM lol

Agreed, late join matches should not affect your WLR (just like in FFA). It just makes sense (TM).

Btw, FFA ragequitters will still be able to quit with no consequences, since WLR doesn't exist in that mode... someone will get a pretty KDR (i.e. 5-0) and then he will quit preserving his score. Thoughts?

Eccocid

I just cant play online in Uncharted games :(
It is very brutal..
Especially at night maps i cant see a shit.

I join to a game and can only survive for few seconds.
I guess i must get used to maps a lot more. So far i only run randomly and keep getting murdered lol

Mikey Jr.

I just cant play online in Uncharted games :(
It is very brutal..
Especially at night maps i cant see a shit.

I join to a game and can only survive for few seconds.
I guess i must get used to maps a lot more. So far i only run randomly and keep getting murdered lol

It is a hard game to get into for sure. It is a pretty different game from most shooters out there.

-5 v 5, meaning you cant really fuck around too much trying to learn.
-High Health. Surprising someone doesn't mean an automatic kill.
-Ability to scale walls, jump, etc. This is probably hard for a lot of new players to get down. You have to learn how the physics of this game works and how to use it to your advantage.

If you really want to learn, read this.

http://community.us.playstation.com/docs/DOC-1076

For a new beginner, my 1 quick tip? Learn how to corner shoot.

Eccocid

It is a hard game to get into for sure. It is a pretty different game from most shooters out there.

-5 v 5, meaning you cant really fuck around too much trying to learn.
-High Health. Surprising someone doesn't mean an automatic kill.
-Ability to scale walls, jump, etc. This is probably hard for a lot of new players to get down. You have to learn how the physics of this game works and how to use it to your advantage.

If you really want to learn, read this.

http://community.us.playstation.com/docs/DOC-1076

For a new beginner, my 1 quick tip? Learn how to corner shoot.

I am perfectly fine with controls like scaling to walls and corner shootings. It is just, unlike other competitive online shooters, especially FPS ones, enemies are really hard to see sometimes. Too much detail on background textures doesnt help either. I cant read a shit on screen lol.

Mikey Jr.

I am perfectly fine with controls like scaling to walls and corner shootings. It is just, unlike other competitive online shooters, especially FPS ones, enemies are really hard to see sometimes. Too much detail on background textures doesnt help either. I cant read a shit on screen lol.

Ohh, well, I have no idea how to help you there. Obvious answer would be to turn up the brightness, but I'm sure you've already done that.

Mikey Jr.

What's the Yemen in TDM bug, it doesn't show up?

TDM in this game is putrid anyway. :p
Lol, its my favourite mode. I cant stand objective games with pubs. They are so god damned stupid. I tried plunder a few times, but that also turned into tdm. Maybe ill try them again after the patch.
As for the bug, i have played about 90 hours of tdm. I fuck you not, i have played that map about 7 times. Seems to be fine in objective mode atleast.

hao chi

Lol, its my favourite mode. I cant stand objective games with pubs. They are so god damned stupid. I tried plunder a few times, but that also turned into tdm. Maybe ill try them again after the patch.
As for the bug, i have played about 90 hours of tdm. I fuck you not, i have played that map about 7 times. Seems to be fine in objective mode atleast.

I've played Yemen twice in TDM, and in one of them I got disconnected a few minutes in after getting a five kill streak.

Eccocid

ugh..only 2 chapters left to finish the single player.

To be honest i am very dissapointed with U3. It is not a bad game at all but it is Tomb Raidered. Back then TR 1 was a surprise, second game was improved everything and 3rd and rest were just same old stuff.

Same feelings with U3 now. Story is kinda lame and had too many filler levels with only Drake complaning about something by all alone. Shooting parts are boring as fuck. I was expecting more puzzles and sense of adventure but last half of game is just trial error pew pews. The amazing set peieces are yeah amazing but it is just all about boring easy jumps and very lieanr routing. I never spent any time with where to go and what to do. It is way too much roller coaster ride. I guess ppl were right about putting Uncharted games to rest for a while.

OH but multi is fun. i wish they release online part of game on psn so i can sell my copy and continue to play online.

HERE WE GO:

Patch Video

Info:

- Elimination is back.
- New menu in custom games called "Advanced Settings" where you can change: The health, Buddy Spawning, Respawn Time, Sprinting, Weapon Mode, Kickbacks, Boosters, and Grenade Throwbacks.
- You'll be able to vote whether or not you want to play the "disgusting boring, bullshit cinematic sequences" of The Airstrip and London Underground now, so YAY! No more horrible train section.
- Long Ranger Medal reduced from 70 meters to 50 meters. Still takes three kills to get one.
- RAGE QUITTING addressed! If you quit, sign off PSN, your in-game statistics (Kills/Deaths) of the match you quit will be carried over and you will get a LOSS. YESSSSSSSSS :lol
- REMOVAL of Kills/Deaths in Objective based games (Plunder/Team Objective) counting for your in-game statistics. OMG. Hopefully this reduces the kill farmers!!
- Message of the Day from Uncharted 2 is back! So every time you log in, you'll get a message of what's happening, what's been added to keep you up to date.
- The Lab RETURNS. First Lab is Pistole/T-Bolt lab.

HOLY SHIT.

:bow

Cool stuff, but too little way too late, for me. I'll DL it and dick around for a few minutes -- hell, I still haven't played the new co-op stuff.

All they needed to do to balance the U2 pistole was one of two things:

1. Lower the rate of fire. (the better option)
2. Lower the ammo amount.

But nope, they cocked it up like everything else.

jett

D-Member
I haven't even bothered downloading the Shade DLC. Frankly co-op in this series has always felt supremely cheap to me, it's not something I particularly enjoy. UC3 is worse without one-kill headshots.

Mxrz

I'm going to start Crushing finally. I finished the game on Hard on my first go and it seemed a little easier than 2. Is Crushing much different? - The only hard parts that really frustrated me were the blown Stealth-battle on the airfield, the sandstorm-turrets fight, and those damned
djinn-flamey-illusion-guys

Its not really that much harder. It'll actually be easier since you'll already know the optimum path for all the scenarios and all the weapon spawn locations.

Mxrz

Blergh. I goofed and started a new game instead of just using chapter select. I did import my stats before overwriting the old save, so maybe I won't lose anything? Since I need to complete Crushing anyway? But it does make it a pain in the ass to double-check I got all the treasures in a level.

AngryMoth

Thinking about coming back to multiplayer today. Its weird because I was SO into U2 multiplayer, but I have hardly touched it in U3 since release (although I did put about 100 hours into the beta :lol). So, now its been out for some time, whats the consensus on it? Any recommendations on which DLC I should download? Looking at some screens for the new maps and they look pretty sweet.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Thinking about coming back to multiplayer today. Its weird because I was SO into U2 multiplayer, but I have hardly touched it in U3 since release (although I did put about 100 hours into the beta :lol). So, now its been out for some time, whats the consensus on it? Any recommendations on which DLC I should download? Looking at some screens for the new maps and they look pretty sweet.
I personally love the MP. There's nothing else like it. Slowly, ND has fixed a ton of issues over the course of these months that it's almost perfect. They still need to do a few tweaks here and there, but overall it's really fun.

For your DLC question, you should get the Drake's Deception pack which has Graveyard, The Old Quarter, Oasis, and London Streets because if you get the other DLC map packs first (Flashback #1 and #2), you will never get to play them because there is not a specific DLC player pool for the first two map packs. You will get to play them if you own the Drake's Deception pack, however. It's dumb, but everyone should know.

I have all of the DLC maps, but I play with the default option on (only default UC3 disk maps) most of these days now because I am sick and tired of running into parties of 5 who will use nothing but the cheapest tactics to get a win/preserve their stats.

AngryMoth

Not sure I completely understand. So if you only have the flashback maps you still can't play in the dlc pool and thus can't play those maps at all? That's very odd. Will make sure I get the deception pack first then thanks

For your DLC question, you should get the Drake's Deception pack which has Graveyard, The Old Quarter, Oasis, and London Streets because if you get the other DLC map packs first (Flashback #1 and #2), you will never get to play them because there is not a specific DLC player pool for the first two map packs. You will get to play them if you own the Drake's Deception pack, however. It's dumb, but everyone should know.

Do you mean never as in rarely, or literally never? If it's the latter, that's not what that chart means. He'll just be thrown into the default pool regardless off the DLC toggle and the maps probably won't come up often, but there's still a chance that they will. I agree with your advice though.

Mikey Jr.

This is a great time to get back in. ND have done a lot of patches that makes the game a lot better than when you first played it. Shit, by the end of the month they are releasing patch 1.11, which is a pretty big and really good patch. The game is also a lot more balanced than it was at release.

Mikey Jr.

-planning a level cap increase.
-no custom females, but more custom items for the females.
-going to update uctv with different kinds of content.
-planning to include trophies.
-possible treasure drop weekends.

posting this from my phone, but check the nd forums. 10 community questions answered. They didnt pussy out and choose softball questions. Well, 1 or 2 was.

AngryMoth

Ok I went for the deception pack along with flashback 2. A little more expensive than id like for redone U2 maps so I'm holding off on the other one for now. I'm hooked again. Took a few matches to get into the swing of things but I seem to be getting back to my old ways :p. Uncharted is by far my favorite style of multipler; third-person , past paced and lots of variety. TomABrook on psn if anyone wants to play (although I don't have a mic if that's an issue).

-planning a level cap increase.
-no custom females, but more custom items for the females.
-going to update uctv with different kinds of content.
-planning to include trophies.
-possible treasure drop weekends.

posting this from my phone, but check the nd forums. 10 community questions answered. They didnt pussy out and choose softball questions. Well, 1 or 2 was.
it would be great if you could put a link ..i checked a part of the foroms and couldn't find it

Himself

Thinking about hopping in and giving the MP a shot for the first time since about December when I played for about an hour and got slaughtered. Is the community divided with all the DLC? Is everyone I play going to be a level 10 million destroyer that I have no chance of possibly enjoying myself while playing against?

Also which MP modes are the ones that have these events that I heard about like sand storms and plane crashes, etc.?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
it would be great if you could put a link ..i checked a part of the foroms and couldn't find it
Found them:

Will you ever add a generic female hero/villain ccreation to the multi-player gaming? Right now there is just the male.

-searchn4sophia

ND: The custom character model rig that’s in-game for Uncharted 3 multiplayer is a rig that’s built around a male. Adding another custom model into the game would be a huge technical challenge for various resource related reasons. However, we will be adding some more custom parts for the principle female characters in an upcoming patch.

Are the pictures on the forums about the 4th legacy and levels 76-100 legit? Was that an idea you guys scrapped or are you just waiting to release them later on like you did in UC2?

- Pat_on_your_back

ND: Those pictures look very familiar. Hmmm. Where did you get those? We are definitely working on a patch that will include a level cap increase. Once we have more information we’ll let you know and tell you if/when/how/where it’s coming out.

Plans for UCTV?

-Toxic156

ND: Huge plans. We want to keep your amazing Uncharted 3 multiplayer gameplay videos in heavy rotation. Also, community made and produced tips and tricks videos for Uncharted 3 multiplayer are in the works. One of our biggest goals for UTV is launching a lot of original Naughty Dog programming in the coming months. Our video podcast series, Of Dogs and Development (final name pending), is the first salvo. Be sure to watch UTV and ND.com for more.

What's the one main lesson you've learned from U3's MP experience?

-monkeybutler100

ND: Not sure there’s one main lesson but the most important lesson has been a lesson we’ve always taken to heart at Naughty Dog. That lesson is: Keep iterating. Uncharted 3 multiplayer has shown us more than ever that you can always find ways to develop aspects of your game while working with fresh design ideas, new technical polish, and strong community feedback.

After pickig up and throwing the Idol in UC2, your character equiped his long gun. Why did you change it in UC3 so that after throwing the Idol, he equips his pistol?

-gunnsandwiches42

ND: Very astute observation. Not sure there’s a specific rationale for that but going to a pistol after carrying a heavy idol just makes a bit more sense, no? It’s the quicker weapon to grab.

Can you PLEASE put some multiplayer trophies in this game? If no, why not?

-ryaniscool47

ND: Trophies? What are those? Ha. We’re working on it. Please look for more information in upcoming patch notes.

What did the discussions of the separate hitboxes vs. unified hitboxes include? Did you guys ever consider a compromise, where leg damage isn't nearly as severe as it is in UC2?

-OWN1N45

ND: It was a discussion about game balancing and what makes the game the most fun possible for all levels of players. With all the other mechanics and content we introduced in Uncharted 3, separate hitboxes was something that seemed unnecessary to the kind of experience we were designing the multiplayer to be.

Why did you guys remove the running up stairs animation thats in the sp and in uncharted 2s mp?

-Turtle-Shield

ND: That animation is something from the player set that we didn’t include because we wanted to make the action seem a bit more fast-paced and heroic in the moment.

How long are you guys planning to support the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer?

or

How much does the community feedback mean to you? Did you ever re-consider releasing something just because we, the community, posted something negative about it? I mean, do you base your design and gameplay desicions partly based on the feedback?

- Shadow-Man_4

ND: We’ll be supporting Uncharted 3 multiplayer for a very long time. Community feedback is very important to us as the changes we made to the aiming in Uncharted 3 multiplayer early on demonstrate. Of course, design decisions are always made in the spirit of asking: what’s going to make the game as much fun as possible? What makes the gameplay awesome? That’s what we’re striving for with every design decision, be it an idea that comes from our designers or from community feedback.

Will you ever increase the treasure drop rate?

-Aureilia

ND: We’ve tweaked treasure drop rate for certain treasures during various patches and live updates (if we could do the tweak via a live update). Some of the rare treasures we want to remain just that- rare! We are considering event weekends that might include increased treasure drops in the future. We’ll see if we can make it happen.

Thinking about hopping in and giving the MP a shot for the first time since about December when I played for about an hour and got slaughtered. Is the community divided with all the DLC? Is everyone I play going to be a level 10 million destroyer that I have no chance of possibly enjoying myself while playing against?

Also which MP modes are the ones that have these events that I heard about like sand storms and plane crashes, etc.?
For your community question...you will get nothing but legacy players that are in parties in the DLC player pool. In the default player pool, you'll get people from all levels. From low levels, to level 75, all varying in skill.

the sand storm in Desert Village is present in all modes. If you're talking about the terrible "cinematic sequences", they are only found on two maps in Team Deathmatch. the maps are The Airstrip and London Underground. They're horrid.

jett

D-Member
After pickig up and throwing the Idol in UC2, your character equiped his long gun. Why did you change it in UC3 so that after throwing the Idol, he equips his pistol?

-gunnsandwiches42

ND: Very astute observation. Not sure there’s a specific rationale for that but going to a pistol after carrying a heavy idol just makes a bit more sense, no? It’s the quicker weapon to grab.

No, it does not make sense, you know why? BECAUSE YOUR PISTOLS SUCK FUCKING DICK IN THIS GAME.

You know what fucking annoys me about ND? They're incapable of admitting when they fuck up.

hao chi

For your community question...you will get nothing but legacy players that are in parties in the DLC player pool. In the default player pool, you'll get people from all levels. From low levels, to level 75, all varying in skill.

the sand storm in Desert Village is present in all modes. If you're talking about the terrible "cinematic sequences", they are only found on two maps in Team Deathmatch. the maps are The Airstrip and London Underground. They're horrid.

I must have pretty good luck because I really don't run into too many parties with DLC on.

Himself

Haha...well I'll at least check them out.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I must have pretty good luck because I really don't run into too many parties with DLC on.
You're always playing with at least another person. I'm talking about being a lone wolf. If you're not partied up, you either:

1) Join a game in progress where the team you join is getting destroyed
2) Get matched up against a party of 5 legacy 3 players
3) get screwed over with really REALLY shitty players because matchmaking does a horrible job at balancing teams.

Playing by yourself in TDM is frustrating as fuck. You should know how badly I get screwed over! You've seen this for yourself.

No, it does not make sense, you know why? BECAUSE YOUR PISTOLS SUCK FUCKING DICK IN THIS GAME.

You know what fucking annoys me about ND? They're incapable of admitting when they fuck up.
Nothing will ever come close to the beautiful 92FS, but I really don't have a problem with the pistols anymore. The Para9 will NEVER compare to the awesomeness of the 92FS, but it holds its own even if the jamming screws you over sometimes.

I do agree that their answer to that question is ridiculous. It's a poor answer and it really fucking sucks that I don't get to keep my long range gun. STOP punishing me for grabbing the idol. I should be able to just drop it when I'm getting attacked and keep my AK to kill my enemies. But no, I get stuck with a Para9...yeah like I'm really going to stand a chance with a pistol against 2 other guys.

they are not talking about that sense.i do agree that they suck more than the U2 pistols but they are pistols.. and thus useless in front of a shot gun or a machinegun

If you're talking about the terrible "cinematic sequences", they are only found on two maps in Team Deathmatch. the maps are The Airstrip and London Underground. They're horrid.
thank for the info on the ND foroms.

the are not horrid , they are unbalanced ... They are excellent on a technical level and disapointing on a design level..there are various things they could do to balance things out ..but ND isn't looking at those .. ( at least you could disable them in 1.11 ) These map will be less hated now

jett

D-Member
Nothing will ever come close to the beautiful 92FS, but I really don't have a problem with the pistols anymore. The Para9 will NEVER compare to the awesomeness of the 92FS, but it holds its own even if the jamming screws you over sometimes.

I'm making the weirdest face right now. The Para9 is unusable trash and no other adjective qualifies.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
thank for the info on the ND foroms.

the are not horrid , they are unbalanced ... They are excellent on a technical level and disapointing on a design level..there are various things they could do to balance things out ..but ND isn't looking at those .. ( at least you could disable them in 1.11 ) These map will be less hated now
You're welcome.

And yes, they are horrible.

The first problem was the major lag. It is atrocious on these intro sequences. With the patch they released that made the person with the best connection the host of the match, it got better, but it is not 100% gone. The jumping from truck to truck in The Airstrip sequence is inconsistent at times, the spawns are awful (spawning inside the plane, really?), grenades are also inconsistent and the team who is holding down the plane are always going to get kills because it almost next to impossible to kill someone from the trucks since it's always moving, which messes up your aim. Let's not even discuss the horrible train sequence. You're at the top of the train and you move a little to the edge and fall to your death because your character won't grab on to the ledge. You get shot once and slide off the edge of the train? Oh, the other person who shot you once will get the kill. Spawning inside the trains only to get oh snapped/shot right away because you spawned behind someone.

Let's move on to the absolute worst thing of it all:

If the host quits in these sequences, you have to start the sequence from the start AGAIN. I've had matches where my team has had 30+ kills because we kept redoing these awful sequences over and over again because people kept quitting. Fuck that shit.

They were a nice attempt for sure, but I just don't enjoy them whatsoever.

I'm making the weirdest face right now. The Para9 is unusable trash and no other adjective qualifies.
We'll agree to disagree here. I'm pretty good with it now.

Agreed, late join matches should not affect your WLR (just like in FFA). It just makes sense (TM).

Btw, FFA ragequitters will still be able to quit with no consequences, since WLR doesn't exist in that mode... someone will get a pretty KDR (i.e. 5-0) and then he will quit preserving his score. Thoughts?
Sorry for the late reply, but I just read this. LOL wtf? Really? Wooooow. I don't play FFA that much to notice, but that's where every KDR person will migrate to next. That's crazy.

hao chi

You're always playing with at least another person. I'm talking about being a lone wolf. If you're not partied up, you either:

1) Join a game in progress where the team you join is getting destroyed
2) Get matched up against a party of 5 legacy 3 players
3) get screwed over with really REALLY shitty players because matchmaking does a horrible job at balancing teams.

Playing by yourself in TDM is frustrating as fuck. You should know how badly I get screwed over! You've seen this for yourself.

I actually play solo quite a bit. Not nearly as much as I play in a small party, but still a pretty good amount. I know you have a lot of instances of running into parties, but it doesn't usually happen to me for whatever reason.

I also seem to usually avoid late joining unless I'm in TDM, but I do often see matchmaking make baffling teams. That's just an Uncharted tradition though.

Edit: Awesome. I was just playing a few matches when on the third game my screen just suddenly goes black and I'm back in the lobby. I didn't even get the condescending "You have been removed from the game" message.

ND, please tell Sony two years isn't enough time to make a game of this magnitude. It somehow worked for U2, but it's quite obvious the multiplayer here was rushed.

Top Bottom