• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Gameplay (E3 2015)

DieH@rd

Banned
The couple new scenes from the E3 trailer look insane.

vAE97bj.gif

ujCKdr3.gif

ioxnmk9gyjoui2ronh.gif

I have no words. But then again... this is ND.

Superflat

I first watched the Youtube video and then downloaded the higher quality MP4 video from Gamersyde.

OMYGOD - that was incredible! The spectacle, the number of choices open to the player, the animations, the physics destruction, the vistas, the humor, the little details like running people and animal, the way the characters react. Unbelievable.

I just can't believe the amount of work that must have gone into a long setpiece like this. And it's just 8 minutes of the game. Absolutely unbelievable.

Naughy Gods indeed.

ND learned a LOT from TLOU and it shows with what they've displayed so far with the combat sequence in the jungle and with a fairly reserved set piece made extraordinary by paying attention to details. With every game they're finding more ways to make sure you're in control while amazing things are happening.

reKon

Banned
People calling this game or Battlefront unimpressive can go fuck themselves. They're the most impressive games I've seen in terms of either visuals/animations or combination of both and sound design (obviously DICE wins here though).

Canklestank

Neo Member
Thanks for the avatar, GAF.

I don't think it was as good as the UC2 demo in terms of wow factor, but man, I'm loving the direction they're taking the gameplay. All that destruction keeps you moving and keeps things from turning into a shooting gallery. You're constantly moving and adapting. But even better is the actual setpiece, not once in this entire sequence did they take control away from the player. I love Uncharted, but the setpieces were always better when you maintained control. That was the big difference between TR and this for me, the TR demo took control away from the player way too often for such a short demo.

I also appreciate that this doesn't seem like it spoiled a big moment. Sure, it's a setpiece, but I don't think it's one of the big, game-defining ones. I think Naughty Dog knows their game will sell, and they want gamers to experience as much of it fresh as they can. Of course, they could just be building up for PSX. Who knows what they'll show then. I may have to force myself to skip watching that.

Damerman

Are we expecting main-character deaths?

Because I'm thinking there will be main-character deaths.

drake is the only person(and kloe) who hasn't had a near death experience. the red herring deaths are played out at this point. I fully expect drake to die.

This game is clearly in a class of it's own.

People who are crapping on this are discrediting themselves by doing so.

Claiming this isn't a good tps action game is absolutely ridiculous.

QTE are used to allow some player agency during set pieces which would be unplayable anyway. Why complain about that extra nod of respect to player agency?

Most of the game isn't set pieces and you have full control of your character.

I make these statements having played and adored 4 Uncharted games in the past and all indications are that this will be the best in the series, by far.

kinggroin

Banned
This year's E3 raised the bar so fucking high in general that this presentation (which would have killed any other year) got smouldered.

Its...JUST Uncharted.

Fjordson

This game is clearly in a class of it's own.

People who are crapping on this are discrediting themselves by doing so.
Wait wat lol. So because someone didn't find it interesting they're "discrediting" themselves?

Some specific complaints in here may have been a little off-base, but it's cool for people to not be as impressed as others. No game is all things to all people.

IvorB

Looks like they're all from the same sequence too. This is likely a early level in the game, which is smart; keep the later set pieces secret, ND!

They said the actual segment is almost twice as long in the game, so presumably it was cut short for time.

They are.. part 2 of the full demo is being shown today at E3, apparently its even better than part 1, but only E3 attendants will see it at this time.

How odd. On thing about the demo was that it could have ended on a bigger bang than it did. I wonder why they cut it short.

This year's E3 raised the bar so fucking high in general that this presentation (which would have killed any other year) got smouldered.

Its...JUST Uncharted.

I really don't think it did. For me the fact that it held its onw speaks volumes. Overall, this was the most impressive gameplay demo at the show to me.

RudoIudo

Uncharted's shooting is no Vanguish or Max Payne but it is as good as Gears, Tomb, and Binary Domain. I don't see how it can be called mediocre.
My opinion but NO.

Graphicwise I was actually disappointed during the gunfight besides the destructible environment (and the ricebags, whoa what a nice touch!).

The chase/escape was impressive.
Never expected something like that in a ND game.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't think it's hate towards UC at all. I think it's the fact that people say outlandish things because they are so excited about their favorite system and developer. Nothing wrong with it. But people should be able to voice their likes and dislikes about a game without replies like, "joke post". Not everyone thinks that UC4 is the best looking game out there. We should all respect each others opinions.

Nailed it.

At this point I wonder if the fans are doing more to harm the fun over the reveal by replying to negative posts with the equivalent of "lol, wut?"

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The game looks amazing and I'm very happy to be getting uncharted 2 vibes from the campaign demo.

People calling this game or Battlefront unimpressive can go fuck themselves. They're the most impressive games I've seen in terms of either visuals/animations or combination of both and sound design (obviously DICE wins here though).
yeah anyone who's not a raging fanboy for naughty dog shouldn't be allowed here. You sound like a child.

Surprised he is not banned then, mods here are strict no?
Threads aren't solely for the purpose of circle jerking a game. There are plenty of legitimate and classic points made against the uncharted series and it's fine if people continue to bring them up if they're not change in any iteration of the series. The simplistic platforming is one of these quips and luckily they're trying to change that with things like the grappling hook. The naughty defense force is vocal as hell so why can't people who don't like the way the game looks voice their opinions as well. This is a discussion forum, not a lets knee jerk react to everything forum.

Nailed it.

At this point I wonder if the fans are doing more to harm the fun over the reveal by replying to negative posts with the equivalent of "lol, wut?"

I think you need to re-read the thread, the only time people are replying is when it is total nonsense and clearly people with an agenda, and literally posting falsehoods. UC is not perfect no game is everything to everyone.

Damerman

The whole series is a Nathan Drake near-death experience, haha.

lol true. but on a narrative perspective, there hasn't been a point, i don't think there was a moment where the story teller was trying to lead us to believe that nathan was dead like they did with sully in U3 and Elena in U2.

The game looks amazing and I'm very happy to be getting uncharted 2 vibes from the campaign demo.

yeah anyone who's not a raging fanboy for naughty dog shouldn't be allowed here. You sound like a child.

Threads aren't solely for the purpose of circle jerking a game. There are plenty of legitimate and classic points made against the uncharted series and it's fine if people continue to bring them up if they're not change in any iteration of the series. The simplistic platforming is one of these quips and luckily they're trying to change that with things like the grappling hook. The naughty defense force is vocal as hell so why can't people who don't like the way the game looks voice their opinions as well. This is a discussion forum, not a lets knee jerk react to everything forum.

It has nothing to do with circle jerking a game..there are people with clear agendas and hyperbolic nonsense , THOSE are the ones people are calling out not legit criticism...May read the thread and what people are talking about before making blanket statements. There is constructive criticism, there is trolling and flame bait.

kinggroin

Banned
I really don't think it did. For me the fact that it held its onw speaks volumes. Overall, this was the most impressive gameplay demo at the show to me.

I can completely respect that, but personally it was no more impressive than say, the water way chase in Half Life 2 (where you ride the bike avoiding helicopters). There wasn't any actual depth as far as gameplay mechanics on display as much as there was a cool set piece to drive through and assets for bad guys to get thrown into. It was very flashy and very fun to look at.

I can completely respect that, but personally it was no more impressive than say, the water way chase in Half Life 2 (where you ride the bike avoiding helicopters). There wasn't any actual depth as far as gameplay mechanics on display as much as there was a cool set piece to drive through and assets for bad guys to get thrown into. It was very flashy and very fun to look at.

LOL there is a massive difference man, the interactivity, destruction was a generation ahead of what was in Half Life 2, not to mention the multiple paths you can take there. That scene there is a thousand more things going on then Half Life 2. We all know what Depth UC has overall, they cannot show everything a game has to offer in 1 set piece at a conference.

Game4life

Banned
I was hoping the gifs here are only from the stage conference but it is now getting into spoiler territory. I dont want this game to get completely spoiled like how UC3 was. The best set piece was spoiled before the game released.

Mr Git

Yes, Uncharted does style/spectacle amazingly. The actual gameplay and gameplay mechanics are pure mediocre, though. I could care less about flashy action scenes. The games are too cheesy for me to get invested in the story or characters, so I don't give a shit what's going on. All I know is that it has zero gameplay depth with mediocre combat mechanics and 'press A for awesome' traversal. It's the prototypical flash over substance AAA series.

TLOU was this sort of game done right.

So you do care about them..?

The only annoying part for me

pTf4HuF.gif

Go for the headshot god dammit!
yeah.Is the same critic i made.The lack of apropiated physic reaction to shoots,above all with the pistol, is what makes shooting lack punching and is why i understand some of the criticism to shooting mechanics.In TLOU this was not the case.Shooting was satisfying, because enemies were less bullet sponges and so there were faster strong reactions to bullet impacts(i dont rember if there was also blood splashes).

IvorB

So what gameplay demo did it for you this year, out of interest?

kinggroin

Banned
LOL there is a massive difference man, the interactivity, destruction was a generation ahead of what was in Half Life 2, not to mention the multiple paths you can take there. That scene there is a thousand more things going on then Half Life 2. We all know what Depth UC has overall, they cannot show everything a game has to offer in 1 set piece at a conference.

I don't know if I want to continue discussing with you. You're coming across as intensely defensive when I've said nothing offensive at all.

My original reply was regarding the poster saying it the most impressive demonstration of the conference. I disagreed and explained why. Where did I call into question, the entirety of Uncharted 4's gameplay.

Look, I'm not a big fan of the series I'll admit it (loved the first one, didn't care for the formula afterwards), so rather than get the troll card pulled and risk a ban, I'll dip anyway and let you enjoy the thread.

Top Bottom