• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Ricky_R

I'll probably get torn a new one for this, but some of the graphics really didn't blow me away in some areas, from what I read/saw on here/Twitter and other places I was expecting balls to the wall amazing graphics everywhere, yet that is not what I got.

When people say things like best game ever you have this mental image built up in your head of what you will get, and my expectations were sadly not met at every step of the journey.

I'm not saying it's no gorgeous in parts but I was expecting (unrealistically or not) that all the way through the game.

I don't know... I went in expecting to not be as floored as most people were since I thought there were some exaggerations, but man was I wrong. I mean, yeah, there are moments that don't look as ridiculous as others, but overall, I feel the game is really worthy of the constantly used "mindblowing" remark. It is the best looking game so far to me.

Raven117

OH my, I have to say that I'm loving the more mature tone this game has taken story wise. That dialog between Nate and
Elana
during Chp. 17-18 is spot on. You can really feel the uneasiness and tension of the situation and it accurately depicts how
a real married couple would act in that situation. Elana is seriously pissed, let down and really hurt by it and Nate is really sorry. He has been duped also, but is really trying to get her (his wife) to understand his thoughts/feelings and at the same time approach her about it. As a married adult I can completely understand the tension and apprehension of the situation. Both Elana wanting to be there and support her husband, but feeling burnt as well as Nate knowing he did something really stupid, knows he let her down, but trying to find a way to both thank her for being there to support (and save) him, but also salvage a marriage that obviously means something to him

Like I said, it's a real mature approach to the story that most teenagers will probably not like and will not be able to fully comprehend those thoughts and emotions as complex a situation as it is.

I'm really interested to see how this all plays out in the end, but I've heard the ending is not like 3 at all, so I'm nervous....

Wish there was more of this actually. That was some of the most accurate voice acted and written dialog I've come across in a game. Chapter 4 is still my favorite scene of the game.

It felt so natural.

Daffy Duck

I don't know... I went in expecting to not be as floored as most people were since I thought there were some exaggerations, but man was I wrong. I mean, yeah, there are moments that don't look as ridiculous as others, but overall, I feel the game is really worthy of the constantly used "mindblowing" remark. It is the best looking game so far to me.

Maybe I didn't temper my expectations enough going in. I guess I found the contrast bewteen some areas quite jarring.

kriskrosbbk

I am bit lost in some of the Uncharted games.Can you please tell me what Nate and the crew achieved in Scotland exactly.Chapter 7 and 8 ?

Cornbread78

Wish there was more of this actually. That was some of the most accurate voice acted and written dialog I've come across in a game. Chapter 4 is still my favorite scene of the game.

It felt so natural.

Yeah, th e y did an excellent job in capturing the correct tone and awkwardness of the situation.

Ricky_R

I am bit lost in some of the Uncharted games.Can you please tell me what Nate and the crew achieved in Scotland exactly.Chapter 7 and 8 ?

They realized Avery and Thomas Tew were recruiting for some reason, and only those worthy would get to join whatever it is they were joining... They also found out they had to go to Madagascar next ;)

Chitown B

been playing 4. On chapter 17 now, out of 22. So far I think this is my favorite and tops 2. I'd have to play 2 again to be sure, but it's almost the perfect game so far. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay. HUGE set pieces and levels. LOVE IT.

They
went to Scotland because of a clue about a graveyard, which led them to a crypt with a small puzzle that revealed a map highlighting a cave in the distance, and that cave was filled with small trials, that when overcome presented a map of Madagascar.

It was the now classic complete-puzzle-to-find-glowy-overhead-map-of-next-location-but-fight-off-bad-guys-that-explode-their-way-in-first section.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Can somebody tell me the name of the track that comes on after the (late game)
third elevator when drake and elena have a moment

They realized Avery and Thomas Tew were recruiting for some reason, and only those worthy would get to join whatever it is they were joining... They also found out they had to go to Madagascar next ;)

All this shit bothered me.
Consider how much across the world traveling was required of them. Now think how well the pirates would have been able to manage this, get there in a reasonable time frame and get enough people there to build and settle a city. And nobody found out about it? What?

Ricky_R

All this shit bothered me.
Consider how much across the world traveling was required of them. Now think how well the pirates would have been able to manage this, get there in a reasonable time frame and get enough people there to build and settle a city. And nobody found out about it? What?

That didn't bother me at all. What I found weird is that nobody seemed to have taken the
cross
for some reason. There wasn't a single greedy pirate back then. :D

Just finished this, fantastic all the way around. I was surprised to see that some people didn't like the final boss fight, I thought it was very well done

Finished it last night:

+ Great VA, writing, direction; all o' dat. To be expected from ND, but not to be taken for granted, of course.
+ Shooting mechanics combined with traversal makes for some fun encounters.
+ Not that it needs to be said, but it looks sublime.

- Waaaaay too much climbing and downtime. It absolutely kills any desire to replay the game. I mean, the whole of Scotland was shithouse; no way am I doing that again. I have no idea why they double downed on this facet of the game without actually expanding on it. Rope swinging is the tits, yes, but in most games, this would be an ability you obtain relatively early as part of an entire suite of abilities, i.e. the piton... But that's it. The piton is underused and the rope swinging becomes rote swinging. It's all so fucking boring and there's so much of it.

- Bravo ND on spoiling in its entirety the best and arguably only set piece in the game. "You shouldn't have watched it, then" is not a great rebuttal, in my opinion.

-
Rafe v Nate
was abysmal. Why, why, why, why, why. EMBRACE YOUR MECHANICS, yo. They're GOOD. Use your noggins and craft an encounter that brings them all together in a satisfying way. It's been done before. You've done it before. No one wants shitty, sketchily telegraphed QTEs masquerading as gameplay.

Ultimately, it just plays everything way too safe. It epitomises the sheer lameness of cinematic games in my eyes, which is a shame, because TLoU made great strides in terms of maintaining that cinematic element whilst having a highly dynamic and engaging gameplay loop. If it wasn't so charming, it'd get torn to shreds.

To bring it back to the traversal. There's just more going on in the game at a time then just traversal. And that's what clicked for me. It was the banter, the discussions, some of the optional conversations, sometimes the music or the beautiful vistas, it all melded together with a (simplistic) traversal system to create something special, something fun.

And I won't tell you what to find fun or anything like that. I've read your posts and I know me and you disagree on a lot of be fundamental stuff. But I appreciate the simplicity of the traversal because I quite like a lot of the underlying game design philosophy (which is really where I think our disagreements originate). These are things we won't agree on. But I think funneling people into one set path is absolutely the right way to do it. My experience with UC4 was largely a extremely linear, narrative focused title. Not only do I think opening up the level design would harm the pacing of the game, I think it would result in a less focused title.

UC4 feels very much focused in delivering a specific experience. And it did that for me. And that's why it worked.

As far as gameplay goes, the climbing is definitely the only thing going on at times. If one has to love the banter, the scenery, the music and the story in order to enjoy those segments, that speaks to the appeal and design of that gameplay — when those other aspects of the game aren't in play, then do you enjoy it? I recall you saying you wouldn't play an entire game of Uncharted's climbing — going by that other thread I made there are others who would feel the same. Considering a solid fourth of this game consists of simply moving through environments, much of it done with the really basic climbing mechanics, it's not hard to see how people become unengaged with the game. If they wouldn't like an entire game consisting of that, who's to say they would like a fourth of the game (or perhaps more, depending on how much you engage with the combat scenarios) consisting of it?

Overall linearity isn't what people have a problem with in this game. Uncharted 2 is more linear than 4, but it spends more of its time on its core facet of gameplay. If the underlying game design philosophy is that of a linear, narrative-focused experience as you say, then why does 4 spend so much time on those one-off, simple systems and on the basic traversal (at least) as much as it does on the core gameplay it's been refining the entire series? That doesn't seem at all focused, especially during times when it's not doing anything substantial with the main plot, or with exploring character relationships, or focusing on puzzles (traversal-based or otherwise), and it's purely just climbing around an environment with the extremely basic climbing gameplay while the two characters just agree with one another on stuff. Large chunks of Scotland (and the game overall) are just looking for the next handhold with little to no environmental storytelling or particularly nice scenery — if all people are doing is moving along linear, predetermined paths with what are essentially predetermined animations, and there's not enough else aesthetically they're finding enjoyment with in those segments, it's not outlandish to consider those poor parts of a game, where playing it isn't fun. And there are games that almost exclusively focus on dialogue, environmental storytelling, banter, etc., yet they don't operate under the pretense of being action games.

And they already opened up the level design compared to past games. If they're allowing the player to move around to such a degree at all, surely they wouldn't mind having multiple pathways through an environment, each with something different to encounter, while still funneling the player along at a decent clip.

What do you consider to be poor pacing? Or if you're not willing to label a particular type of pacing good or bad, what kind of pacing do you think is most appropriate for an Uncharted game? Because I don't see how having more climbing segments with more freedom in them would harm the pacing any more than the existing lengthy, frequent pure-climbing segments already do.

Finished it last night:

+ Great VA, writing, direction; all o' dat. To be expected from ND, but not to be taken for granted, of course.
+ Shooting mechanics combined with traversal makes for some fun encounters.
+ Not that it needs to be said, but it looks sublime.

- Waaaaay too much climbing and downtime. It absolutely kills any desire to replay the game. I mean, the whole of Scotland was shithouse; no way am I doing that again. I have no idea why they double downed on this facet of the game without actually expanding on it. Rope swinging is the tits, yes, but in most games, this would be an ability you obtain relatively early as part of an entire suite of abilities, i.e. the piton... But that's it. The piton is underused and the rope swinging becomes rote swinging. It's all so fucking boring and there's so much of it.

- Bravo ND on spoiling in its entirety the best and arguably only set piece in the game. "You shouldn't have watched it, then" is not a great rebuttal, in my opinion.

-
Rafe v Nate
was abysmal. Why, why, why, why, why. EMBRACE YOUR MECHANICS, yo. They're GOOD. Use your noggins and craft an encounter that brings them all together in a satisfying way. It's been done before. You've done it before. No one wants shitty, sketchily telegraphed QTEs masquerading as gameplay.

Ultimately, it just plays everything way too safe. It epitomises the sheer lameness of cinematic games in my eyes, which is a shame, because TLoU made great strides in terms of maintaining that cinematic element whilst having a highly dynamic and engaging gameplay loop. If it wasn't so charming, it'd get torn to shreds.

Them showing off that setpiece was hilarious after how they showed off 3 almost entirely — I thought "Oh, they're showing such restraint this time!"

Then it turns out that was easily the peak of the crazy gimmick action.

As far as gameplay goes, the climbing is definitely the only thing going on at times. If one has to love the banter, the scenery, the music and the story in order to enjoy those segments, that speaks to the appeal and design of that gameplay — when those other aspects of the game aren't in play, then do you enjoy it? I recall you saying you wouldn't play an entire game of Uncharted's climbing — going by that other thread I made there are others who would feel the same. Considering a solid fourth of this game consists of simply moving through environments, much of it done with the really basic climbing mechanics, it's not hard to see how people become unengaged with the game. If they wouldn't like an entire game consisting of that, who's to say they would like a fourth of the game (or perhaps more, depending on how much you engage with the combat scenarios) consisting of it?

Overall linearity isn't what people have a problem with in this game. Uncharted 2 is more linear than 4, but it spends more of its time on its core facet of gameplay. If the underlying game design philosophy is that of a linear, narrative-focused experience as you say, then why does 4 spend so much time on those one-off, simple systems and on the basic traversal (at least) as much as it does on the core gameplay it's been refining the entire series? That doesn't seem at all focused, especially during times when it's not doing anything substantial with the main plot, or with exploring character relationships, or focusing on puzzles (traversal-based or otherwise), and it's purely just climbing around an environment with the extremely basic climbing gameplay while the two characters just agree with one another on stuff. Large chunks of Scotland (and the game overall) are just looking for the next handhold with little to no environmental storytelling or particularly nice scenery — if all people are doing is moving along linear, predetermined paths with what are essentially predetermined animations, and there's not enough else aesthetically they're finding enjoyment with in those segments, it's not outlandish to consider those poor parts of a game, where playing it isn't fun. And there are games that almost exclusively focus on dialogue, environmental storytelling, banter, etc., yet they don't operate under the pretense of being action games.

And they already opened up the level design compared to past games. If they're allowing the player to move around to such a degree at all, surely they wouldn't mind having multiple pathways through an environment, each with something different to encounter, while still funneling the player along at a decent clip.

What do you consider to be poor pacing? Or if you're not willing to label a particular type of pacing good or bad, what kind of pacing do you think is most appropriate for an Uncharted game? Because I don't see how having more climbing segments with more freedom in them would harm the pacing any more than the existing lengthy, frequent pure-climbing segments already do.

Them showing off that setpiece was hilarious after how they showed off 3 almost entirely — I thought "Oh, they're showing such restraint this time!"

Then it turns out that was easily the peak of the crazy gimmick action.

I don't agree that a fourth of the game is just you climbing because I think that is looking at the game a bit too simplistically. If you looked at purely the time breakdown spent climbing while nothing else is going on (no banter, conversations so on) except lookinng at pretty vistas, yes, that's probably a fourth. But that's really ignoring the entire package in favor of the small focused approach that I said I don't do with UC games.

Just because I consider the mechanic simplistic, don't mean I didn't enjoy it when executed with how the game did it. Let's take your example with Scotland. Scotland had you travelling with Sam. So you had the occasional banter, the dialogue, the cutscenes interspresed throughout the level, just like the rest of the game. It featured heavy usage of the sliding mechanic in the beginning, lots of rope swinging and indeed climbing. It did this all with Sam at your side. It put through combat encounters, areas that you could stealth, a couple of puzzles that weren't tough but still fairly creative (which is a plus) and concludes with a fairly lengthy escape combat sequence.

Scotland is great because it combines and mixes everything up to preset a great whole package. You transition from sliding, to rope swinging to a bit of combat to some climbing and sliding, to a puzzle and combat and so on. And as I said, just because I find the mechanic simplistic, doesn't mean I didn't find it fun in the context of what was presented.

And that's really the difference in how I'm looking at it. You're looking at it individually expecting it to stand up for it self. Fine. But for me? I appreciate the traversal, rope-swinging that follows something else up. I also appreciate it when it's surrounded by other aspects of the game. So it works. It's fun.

As for the multiple pathways. I don't agree. The game presented you multiple pathways and encounters in the levels big enough to warrant them. Otherwise, I'm not sure I agree that giving the player an illusion of a choice just for the sake of giving them a choice (and of all things, the traversal) is good idea.

As for pacing? I'd say poor pacing is anything that simply feels like it's gone on for too long and the player needs a change of pace. I think UC4 has fantastic pacing because it kept me engaged the entire time through. It's one of the few games I've beaten in two sittings. Which is an impressive feat for me because I rarely ever play more then one game at a time for more then an hour unless it's a multiplayer focused title with a group of 4-5 friends.

Lastly, I think we're are pretty much destined to agree to disagree. So lets not write up length replies where we just fundamentally disagree with each other (which is what I felt I pretty much did here). My hands hurt :p

Daft Punk

Banned
i think it's called 'counter-balance'. also, 'blowback' :) ...

tumblr_m3o1rwAIBp1qzn5f0o1_500.gif

I thought the chase set piece was so good that having watched the demo didn't really hinder my enjoyment of it. I've played it a bunch of times as well now, and it continues to impress.

That's why I'm not a big fan of the setpieces in 3 compared to 2. I knew most of 2s setpieces going in and they were still enjoyable (and continue to be so on replays) as opposed to 3s, which lose a lot of the magic in replays.

The chase set piece was by far the best set piece in the entire Uncharted series period. Watching it and playing it was completely different experiences. I was BLOWN away playing it for the first time.
Also people acting like there wasn't other set pieces in the game are weird, what about

The Jeep set piece off the side of the cliff in Chapter 10?
Or the set piece when you're with Sam in the latter chapters and you start getting shot with rocket launchers??

Or the ambush by the shoreline mercs in Chapter 10 when you're opening the gate?

Or the set piece at the end of the game where you're getting chased by that Truck?

Just finished the game! Got really caught up in the last few chapters and ended up doing an all nighter.

Very good game, by far the best gunplay mechanics in the series.

The pacing sits odd with me. At times I wished there was more shooting segments in earlier parts of the game. Towards the end they seemed to just throw encounter after encounter at the player and I grew fatigued of it lol.

I really loved the climbing segment in chapter 21 I think it was, the extended one
in pursuit of sam.

Disappointed by the fact that I'd watched the entirety of the single major set piece in the game months prior to release. Felt like some of the thrill was gone as I knew what was coming. The train sequence from UC2 is my personal favorite of the series, probably helped that I'd watched very little pre-release footage of UC2.

I really loved aspects of the story - the uncovering of the mystery of Libertalia. I felt invested in Nate and Sam's story at times, but was far more engaged with the pirates.

Rafe was a cool villain, but really disliked the sword fight at the end. Felt like a disguised QTE.

Also, I HATE EXPLODING MUMMIES. That whole segment was poor, in my opinion. Very frustrating and it really sours me on the game looking back at it.

The epilogue was sweet. Going to miss Nate!

Doubt I'd ever replay it in it's entirety due to my issues with the pacing. But I do look forward to replaying certain segments. However a definite stand out game of this gen so far!

xrnzaaas

I'm catching up right now, because I didn't have a lot of time for games in May. Man that chapter 18 final fight was hard on Crushing difficulty (looking forward to ch20 fight, I heard it's even tougher). Luckily I had two grenades so I took down the armor guy easily, because without that I would've given up. :) I ended up defending on the balcony above the starting area, praying that I won't be flanked and that snipers and the grenade launcher guy don't get a clear shot. :)

Bishop89

I'm catching up right now, because I didn't have a lot of time for games in May. Man that chapter 18 was hard on Crushing difficulty (looking forward to ch20 fight, I heard it's even tougher). Luckily I had two grenades so I took down the armor guy easily, because without that I would've given up. :)

what do you think of the game? do you like it?

xrnzaaas

what do you think of the game? do you like it?

I still have chapters 20-22 to go, but so far yeah. I'd only improve the pacing in the first chapters, because they feel like a too long introduction in which the story has completely taken over everything.

Certinty

Really surprised at how long this game.

I'm 8 hours in and only just starting chapter 14. In comparison I completed the first game in 5 hours, second in 8 and third in 6 on the same difficulty.

Not that I'm complaining at all but I didn't expect this.

The chase set piece was by far the best set piece in the entire Uncharted series period. Watching it and playing it was completely different experiences. I was BLOWN away playing it for the first time.
Also people acting like there wasn't other set pieces in the game are weird, what about

Or the set piece when you're with Sam in the latter chapters and you start getting shot with rocket launchers??

Or the ambush by the shoreline mercs in Chapter 10 when you're opening the gate?

Or the set piece at the end of the game where you're getting chased by that Truck?

Those are much, much smaller than prior Uncharted games and, more importantly, most of those don't involve combat which is what sets Uncharted's setpieces apart from other games because they usually drastically change the level design and movement during combat providing really unique encounters that are also crazy to look at.

I wouldn't count that chapter 10 one as a setpiece either, that was just a regular encounter. The
elevator fight in 17!
could definitely be considered one though.

Those are much, much smaller than prior Uncharted games and, more importantly, most of those don't involve combat which is what sets Uncharted's setpieces apart from other games because they usually drastically change the level design and movement during combat providing really unique encounters that are also crazy to look at.

I wouldn't count that chapter 10 one as a setpiece either, that was just a regular encounter. The
elevator fight in 17!
could definitely be considered one though.
Another great setpiece is
the end of Scotland where you have to fight your way out of the map room as it collapses. I especially love the end when you are shooting at Shoreline as you slide down rocky hills.

the end of Scotland where you have to fight your way out of the map room as it collapses. I especially love the end when you are shooting at Shoreline as you slide down rocky hills.

That part was a lot of fun, but the setpiece part of it (ie the spectacle and level design changing part of it) is so small
since the actual collapse happens so fast and all you really do is climb up a column and statue that is tipping ove, you don't even fight on any shifting terrain
. The rest of that sequence is just standard encounter stuff (albeit very fun, and more linear and propulsive).

Keihart

That setpiece i love too, in fact was the first part of the game i replayed.
Setpieces are everywhere in the game but no like we were used to them, they are not always big action set pieces but smaller more natural ones.

I mean, i would of loved a volcano setpiece but regardles, what is there is pretty good.

I gotta say that my favorite action moment of the series has to be the plane crash, i didn't expect it at all and was completly floored as you descend in the dessert.
From the moment you start to chase the plane it was pretty sureal.

Sam's pursuit is awesome too, and is my second favorite action moment.

Created a gif of Nathans idle animation. I've never made a gif before, so I apologize if the size is too large, or the quality too low.

giphy.gif

People enjoy criticizing just for the sake of it.
The chase was awesome thanks to the freedom it gave (you can hang on the rope, use just the truck or go jumping from jeep to jeep or even the three things at the same time).

But I really enjoyed the clock collapsing and the boat chase.

Alienous

People enjoy criticizing just for the sake of it.
The chase was awesome thanks to the freedom it gave (you can hang on the rope, use just the truck or go jumping from jeep to jeep or even the three things at the same time).

But I really enjoyed the clock collapsing and the boat chase.

Nope. At least a few people were awed when it was shown at E3 and weren't awed a second time, and I'm among them. That sequence had some of its awesomeness drained from it, just like the train in Uncharted 2 would have been less special had they demoed it in its entirety at some point prior to its release.

The Uncharted 4 sequence shown at E3 really did very little for me in the game. It was appreciated when it came, but it went quickly and no longer had the power to amaze me.

I don't agree that a fourth of the game is just you climbing because I think that is looking at the game a bit too simplistically. If you looked at purely the time breakdown spent climbing while nothing else is going on (no banter, conversations so on) except lookinng at pretty vistas, yes, that's probably a fourth. But that's really ignoring the entire package in favor of the small focused approach that I said I don't do with UC games.

Just because I consider the mechanic simplistic, don't mean I didn't enjoy it when executed with how the game did it. Let's take your example with Scotland. Scotland had you travelling with Sam. So you had the occasional banter, the dialogue, the cutscenes interspresed throughout the level, just like the rest of the game. It featured heavy usage of the sliding mechanic in the beginning, lots of rope swinging and indeed climbing. It did this all with Sam at your side. It put through combat encounters, areas that you could stealth, a couple of puzzles that weren't tough but still fairly creative (which is a plus) and concludes with a fairly lengthy escape combat sequence.

Scotland is great because it combines and mixes everything up to preset a great whole package. You transition from sliding, to rope swinging to a bit of combat to some climbing and sliding, to a puzzle and combat and so on. And as I said, just because I find the mechanic simplistic, doesn't mean I didn't find it fun in the context of what was presented.

And that's really the difference in how I'm looking at it. You're looking at it individually expecting it to stand up for it self. Fine. But for me? I appreciate the traversal, rope-swinging that follows something else up. I also appreciate it when it's surrounded by other aspects of the game. So it works. It's fun.

As for the multiple pathways. I don't agree. The game presented you multiple pathways and encounters in the levels big enough to warrant them. Otherwise, I'm not sure I agree that giving the player an illusion of a choice just for the sake of giving them a choice (and of all things, the traversal) is good idea.

As for pacing? I'd say poor pacing is anything that simply feels like it's gone on for too long and the player needs a change of pace. I think UC4 has fantastic pacing because it kept me engaged the entire time through. It's one of the few games I've beaten in two sittings. Which is an impressive feat for me because I rarely ever play more then one game at a time for more then an hour unless it's a multiplayer focused title with a group of 4-5 friends.

Lastly, I think we're are pretty much destined to agree to disagree. So lets not write up length replies where we just fundamentally disagree with each other (which is what I felt I pretty much did here). My hands hurt :p

Taking all the parts of the game together as one experience was part of the problem I had with the game. Even during my first playthrough and even while enjoying every part of the game more or less, each those extended moments of traversal and climbing started to drag by the time they were done — every play session I had was full of those segments, and I was itching for some kind of development to occur, be it story-related, action-oriented, whatever. They were flat sight-seeing sequences they left me unengaged, and once the spectacle of the given environment wore off or the novelty of the banter waned, I was just ... bored. The denouement from the action had moved beyond its pleasurable state and had gone on for too long.

And that's coming from someone who loved the entirety of Firewatch, liked what I've played of Gemini Rue, Proteus, NaissanceE, Grow Home, Mirror's Edge, etc. Those games consist entirely of what's present in the climbing segments (focus on dialogue, scenery, sense of place, sometimes leisurely traversal), but they're also consistent experiences. I wasn't bored with those games because not only did they better and more accurately convey what kind of experience they would be offering (which isn't something necessarily positive), they showed a much more cohesive focus. The deepest gameplay systems in those games are not frequently put on the back burner for extended periods in order to give the player a break they never needed or wanted. Uncharted 4 has incredible moments of action with gameplay head-and-shoulders above its predecessors, doing things during normal gameplay that other devs only dream of accomplishing — then the game spends a considerable chunk of its time being really, really slow with almost no imbetween. (And yes, I'd totally say a good fourth of the time I spent playing the main game was doing some kind of simple traversal, just trying to get to the next ... something, anything — if it wasn't actually a fourth or even an eighth, that it even feels that way for so many people is disconcerting, and more than worthy of note.)

And unlike a movie, video games that are dozens of hours long aren't going to be completed in one sitting, so the amount of downtime needed is considerably different. The notion that every moment focusing on the core gameplay needs to be followed up with even longer moments of secondary/tertiary gameplay (downtime) doesn't reflect that people can and will play a game an hour or two or three at a time. If I genuinely need a break from the core gameplay that is (reasonably) the reason I'm playing the game (i.e. action, in this game's case), then I can just put the controller down.

If I got tired of the combat in Uncharted 1, it was because the level design for those fights took place in the same kind of static, flat arenas throughout (similar to what you've said is possibly the problem with the climbing segments) — though the aspects of the game directly tied to combat were considerably unpolished in 1, too. If I had fun in every shootout of Uncharted 2, it's because the layout of each shootout in that game was always different from shootout to shootout in some key way. 2 didn't need a chapter (or two, or three, or four) or downtime after every action sequence because the devs knew then that people were coming to the game for excitement, and it could crank out that excitement in diverse ways so as to not feel like a drag.

Uncharted 4 never builds exciting momentum in that way because of its frequent stops, and all those breaks stop being refreshing at some point and in some way — since I replay the games I pay money for, during a replay is when I really felt that unsatisfying hitching in the action, even though I noticed it the first time through. Taking the banter, scenery, sense of place, visuals, music and animations all together during those pure-traversal segments made them enjoyable to a degree. However, taking the concept of taking in all elements of a game as one qhole experience rather than dissecting and assessing individual parts: I took all those pure-traversal segments together throughout whole chapters or clusters of chapters as one whole experience too, and that experience felt too full of that lax, low-impact downtime gameplay. When looking at the traversal mechanics themselves, on their own, it's a problem, and when looking at the game as a whole, it's still a problem.

And I don't get how the hypothetical branching paths with different encounters/weapons (which kind of happens in chapter 10) are "Illusions of choice," or how are they any more illusions of choice compared to those paths that are already in the game. The game managed to push the player forward at a decent clip during those open segments, so there's no real reason to expect that'd ruin the pacing compared to what we've gotten with 4.

And there's no pressure to reply — I don't have enough time to feel comfortable making a satisfactory reply outside of a couple hours each night. I just wanted to see where the disconnect was between how we see this game, and how we view criticism of it. I can't accept that there isn't something this game/its devs could've done much, much better, even when taking into consideration what the developers were going for, particularly with the amounts of downtime, the climbing itself and the focus on pure climbing/traversal segments. It's something that seems merely adequate on a base level as well as a macro one.

Created a gif of Nathans idle animation. I've never made a gif before, so I apologize if the size is too large, or the quality too low.

giphy.gif

Amazing.

It's too bad my internet is shit here. I'd love to upload some pics of Kashmir that gave me UC vibes (err.. or the other way around).

Taking all the parts of the game together as one experience was part of the problem I had with the game. Even during my first playthrough and even while enjoying every part of the game more or less, each those extended moments of traversal and climbing started to drag by the time they were done — every play session I had was full of those segments, and I was itching for some kind of development to occur, be it story-related, action-oriented, whatever. They were flat sight-seeing sequences they left me unengaged, and once the spectacle of the given environment wore off or the novelty of the banter waned, I was just ... bored. The denouement from the action had moved beyond its pleasurable state and had gone on for too long.

And that's coming from someone who loved the entirety of Firewatch, liked what I've played of Gemini Rue, Proteus, NaissanceE, Grow Home, Mirror's Edge, etc. Those games consist entirely of what's present in the climbing segments (focus on dialogue, scenery, sense of place, sometimes leisurely traversal), but they're also consistent experiences. I wasn't bored with those games because not only did they better and more accurately convey what kind of experience they would be offering (which isn't something necessarily positive), they showed a much more cohesive focus. The deepest gameplay systems in those games are not frequently put on the back burner for extended periods in order to give the player a break they never needed or wanted. Uncharted 4 has incredible moments of action with gameplay head-and-shoulders above its predecessors, doing things during normal gameplay that other devs only dream of accomplishing — then the game spends a considerable chunk of its time being really, really slow with almost no imbetween. (And yes, I'd totally say a good fourth of the time I spent playing the main game was doing some kind of simple traversal, just trying to get to the next ... something, anything — if it wasn't actually a fourth or even an eighth, that it even feels that way for so many people is disconcerting, and more than worthy of note.)

And unlike a movie, video games that are dozens of hours long aren't going to be completed in one sitting, so the amount of downtime needed is considerably different. The notion that every moment focusing on the core gameplay needs to be followed up with even longer moments of secondary/tertiary gameplay (downtime) doesn't reflect that people can and will play a game an hour or two or three at a time. If I genuinely need a break from the core gameplay that is (reasonably) the reason I'm playing the game (i.e. action, in this game's case), then I can just put the controller down.

If I got tired of the combat in Uncharted 1, it was because the level design for those fights took place in the same kind of static, flat arenas throughout (similar to what you've said is possibly the problem with the climbing segments) — though the aspects of the game directly tied to combat were considerably unpolished in 1, too. If I had fun in every shootout of Uncharted 2, it's because the layout of each shootout in that game was always different from shootout to shootout in some key way. 2 didn't need a chapter (or two, or three, or four) or downtime after every action sequence because the devs knew then that people were coming to the game for excitement, and it could crank out that excitement in diverse ways so as to not feel like a drag.

Uncharted 4 never builds exciting momentum in that way because of its frequent stops, and all those breaks stop being refreshing at some point and in some way — since I replay the games I pay money for, during a replay is when I really felt that unsatisfying hitching in the action, even though I noticed it the first time through. Taking the banter, scenery, sense of place, visuals, music and animations all together during those pure-traversal segments made them enjoyable to a degree. However, taking the concept of taking in all elements of a game as one qhole experience rather than dissecting and assessing individual parts: I took all those pure-traversal segments together throughout whole chapters or clusters of chapters as one whole experience too, and that experience felt too full of that lax, low-impact downtime gameplay. When looking at the traversal mechanics themselves, on their own, it's a problem, and when looking at the game as a whole, it's still a problem.

And I don't get how the hypothetical branching paths with different encounters/weapons (which kind of happens in chapter 10) are "Illusions of choice," or how are they any more illusions of choice compared to those paths that are already in the game. The game managed to push the player forward at a decent clip during those open segments, so there's no real reason to expect that'd ruin the pacing compared to what we've gotten with 4.

And there's no pressure to reply — I don't have enough time to feel comfortable making a satisfactory reply outside of a couple hours each night. I just wanted to see where the disconnect was between how we see this game, and how we view criticism of it. I can't accept that there isn't something this game/its devs could've done much, much better, even when taking into consideration what the developers were going for, particularly with the amounts of downtime, the climbing itself and the focus on pure climbing/traversal segments. It's something that seems merely adequate on a base level as well as a macro one.
*whole

I kid. As someone who isn't part of this conversation, I happen to be of two minds with this game so I can certainly relate to your well written comment.

I completed the game on normal, I'm thinking of going through it again on a harder level.
Is the A.I too aggressive on higher levels?

I want to unlock some more stuff, so I might as well.

Megatron

Anyone know how long the last two chapters take? On normal. I should probably go to bed... Just got to Chapter 21....

By the way, how dumb is it that when
they're going after Sam at the end of Ch 20, Nate is standing 5 feet above Sully and Elena with a rope on his back and he's like 'Well, there's no way to get you guys up here!'

xrnzaaas

Yeah, so the chapter 20 fight turned out to be too hard for me and my nerves on Crushing. ;) I got to the point where I dealt with the nearest enemies, the snipers and the grenade launcher mercenary, but when the armored guys showed up it all turned to shit. :) The game seems to be missing another difficulty level between Hard and Crushing, because I've completed that first battle on Hard on first attempt (I knew what to do and where to go, but still...).

Top Bottom